Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Witch-Knight’s Defiance - Underpowered?

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
Witch-Knight’s Defiance – Medium Armor
2 – Adds 129 Weapon Damage
3 – Adds 129 Weapon Damage
4 – Adds 129 Weapon Damage
5 – Increases your Weapon Damage by 369 against Poisoned enemies.

I don't believe the 5 piece bonus will be increased by Brutality or Medium Armor. Those provide +35%WD. After those bonuses, Hundings gives 405 WD to all skills, against all targets, with 100% uptime. That's waaaay better than 369 WD, not increasing heals, against only certain targets, and much lower uptime (especially with purge and racial immunity).

I think this 5 piece needs a buff.
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Even *if* you are pumping out the Poison status effect like a madman, I'd rather just use a set that's easier to utilize and affects my healing.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't believe the 5 piece bonus will be increased by Brutality or Medium Armor. Those provide +35%WD. After those bonuses, Hundings gives 405 WD to all skills, against all targets, with 100% uptime. That's waaaay better than 369 WD, not increasing heals, against only certain targets, and much lower uptime (especially with purge and racial immunity).

Sets like Automaton that increase your weapon or spell damage against a target or for a specific damage type are affected by your current weapon/spell modifiers. They just don't apply to your character sheet, meaning they don't increase healing skills.

The condition of having an enemy poisoned, matches the increase seen of 69 weapon damage vs the 5 piece on Hundings Rage, this should be pretty easy to keep up for some builds, so the condition is mitigated very easily.

The 2-4 piece bonus is where it gets more interesting, it's much stronger than Hundings in that Weapon Damage scales much better than crit or stamina for pvp, especially if you're using something like Malacath that avoids crit all together. The back bar bow builds using Poison Injection and/or BRP Magnum Shot are going to love this set.

While I don't think I'd use the set personally, I think it's balanced pretty well as it stands in comparison to something like Hundings Rage and has it's specific niche.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sets like Automaton that increase your weapon or spell damage against a target or for a specific damage type are affected by your current weapon/spell modifiers. They just don't apply to your character sheet, meaning they don't increase healing skills.

Hmm,

I was aware that weapon damage bonuses that affected specific types of damage did not appear on your character sheet, but we're still affected by major and minor brutality. However, I thought weapon damage bonuses that were specific to your target, like master's bow and the new bloodthirsty trait, did not get bonuses from major or minor brutality. In fact, I thought there was even a patch note during the last PTS cycle where they buffed the new bloodthirsty trait to account for this.

But you got me questioning myself and I found:

https://youtu.be/XgrqoOpCHDw

So now I don't know what to think. Anyone else have any insights about whether or not target specific weapon damage bonuses, like this new set and master's bow, are increased by major and minor brutality?

EDIT:

Found it, from 6.1.1 -
    Bloodthirsty: Increased the bonus Weapon and Spell Damage this trait grants against targets to a maximum of 350 per trait, up from 250 per trait. This was to make up for the fact the trait does not inherit percent increases to these stats, such as Brutality or Sorcery.

This would seem to indicate that weapon damage bonuses that are specific to your target are not affected by brutality. Maybe this is only the case for bloodthirsty? I would really like to know where this applies exactly.

@ZOS_Adrikoth

Clarification here would be awesome.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on September 22, 2020 4:04AM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Flaaklypa
    Flaaklypa
    ✭✭✭✭

The condition of having an enemy poisoned, matches the increase seen of 69 weapon damage vs the 5 piece on Hundings Rage, this should be pretty easy to keep up for some builds, so the condition is mitigated very easily.

The 2-4 piece bonus is where it gets more interesting, it's much stronger than Hundings in that Weapon Damage scales much better than crit or stamina for pvp, especially if you're using something like Malacath that avoids crit all together. The back bar bow builds using Poison Injection and/or BRP Magnum Shot are going to love this set.

While I don't think I'd use the set personally, I think it's balanced pretty well as it stands in comparison to something like Hundings Rage and has it's specific niche.

then explain why Bloodthirsty trait is not affected by brutality
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely think this set needs to be buffed.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    frontend wrote: »

By decision or ZoS mistake simply as that.
    Every set including sets like Spell Strategist or Master bow are affected by all multipliers. Quite frankly, bloodthirsty is first known iteration of weapon/spell damage unaffected by multipliers.
  • ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not only that... you can’t back at the set. I already reported it.
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

Every set including sets like Spell Strategist or Master bow are affected by all multipliers. Quite frankly, bloodthirsty is first known iteration of weapon/spell damage unaffected by multipliers.
    Maybe they made bloodthirsty that way on purpose, if bloodthirsty were to scale with multipliers then there would be no reason to run infused. If that were the case the only reason you would use infused is if you are a solo player where you could use the healing.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not super eager to see this set get buffed since then it would become a Snipe Spammer's dream.

Comparisons to Hundings do not make sense though. Hundings has 2X lines of Critical Chance which is basically wasted in PvP whereas this set has an unprecedented 4X Weapon Damage buffs as its bonuses. That is heaps better than Hundings.
  • Zeromaz
    Zeromaz
    ✭✭✭✭

Bummer. So Master bow doesn’t get increased by Brutality?
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Zeromaz wrote: »

The master bow is a debuff on the enemy not a buff to your character therefore i wouldnt make sense for it to scale with brutality which is a buff.
    Edited by mikey_reach on October 24, 2020 11:41PM
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love it if this set gave % damage increase, rather then flat weapon value. As it stands Deadly strikes works better
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    Zeromaz wrote: »

Yes it does. It has been tested and master bow proc gets boosted by weapon damage modifiers
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love it if this set gave % damage increase, rather then flat weapon value. As it stands Deadly strikes works better

It does get boosted by weapon dmg modifiers
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    The amount of underpowered and or worthless sets in this game is the norm, not the exception. I suggest you pick a number and get in line.

To be more transparent than ZOS...It will be a long and unrewarding wait.

• ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

It does get boosted by weapon dmg modifiers

Ooh then that is pretty good