The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Deconstructing reconstructed items does NOT return all upgrade mats

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    It did sound on the stream as if we would get ALL our mats back (and 25 crystals) for decon, but as others have said, this is not the case

The fact that there is misinformation in the stream, when they clearly prepared to demonstrate the feature... really sad negligence on their part. Even on the stream you clearly saw you didn't get all your mats back when you deconstructed, so the person demonstrating wasn't even paying attention.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 22, 2020 7:42AM
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there even reason now to use the transmutation system? Seems like a new noob trap to me.

Let's say I drop perfected Maelstrom Inferno staff in Sharpened trait. I want Infused, but why transmuting it for 50 crystals instead of reconstructing it already in Infused for 25 crystals? Or did I miss something and transmutation cost has been reduced to 25?
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on September 22, 2020 7:53AM
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there even reason now to use the transmutation system? Seems like a new noob trap to me.

Let's say I drop perfected Maelstrom Inferno staff in Sharpened trait. I want Infused, but why transmuting it for 50 crystals instead of reconstructing it already in Infused for 25 crystals? Or did I miss something and transmutation cost has been reduced to 25?

well you will need to have all the other set pieces farmed, to get the cheapest reconstruction prices for 25 crystals...
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    stefj68 wrote: »

well you will need to have all the other set pieces farmed, to get the cheapest reconstruction prices for 25 crystals...

Point still stands. Once you've collected the full set, Transmutation becomed not only pointless but you will loose crystals by using it over Reconstruction system.

That's why I think that Transmutation system needs rework. To not have a pointless system that is also a noob trap.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on September 22, 2020 8:35AM
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Point still stands. Once you've collected the full set, Transmutation becomed not only pointless but you will loose crystals by using it over Reconstruction system.

That's why I think that Transmutation system needs rework. To not have a pointless system that is also a noob trap.

The way I see it: you can spend 25 crystals and crafting mats to create a new item, or you can just transmute the one you have for 50.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if I read it correctly you need said maelstrom inferno to drop several times before the cost to reconstruct drops to 25. Initially it’s 75 so it’s better to transmute finds up to a point. After that point you can reconstruct but that’s only if you decon sets you don’t need and don’t have the trait you want. It all seems to work well from there.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »

The way I see it: you can spend 25 crystals and crafting mats to create a new item, or you can just transmute the one you have for 50.

Model situation I mentioned above.
    1) I clear vMA
    2) I drop epic Perfected Maelstrom Inferno in Sharpened trait
    3) I want it in gold quality and Infused trait
    4a) I improve it and transmute it. This way I spend 50 transmute crystals and 8 rosins.
    4b) I reconstruct it already in gold quality and infused trait. This way I spend 25 transmute crystals and 8 rosins. Also, if you pick this option and decide at any time that you do not need the item anymore, you can deconstruct it to get full transmute crystals refund.

Any reason to pick option 4a?

Keep in mind that reconstruction costs only transmute crystals and improvement materials. It does not cost any refined materials or trait gems. Also, if you reconstruct perfected gear it already comes in epic without need to invest epic tempers/resins.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on September 22, 2020 9:14AM
  • Alentarlixia
    Alentarlixia
    ✭✭✭✭

Golden Jewelry found in Trials or bought at the vendor. That's it.

• Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1) I clear vMA
    4a) I improve it and transmute it. This way I spend 50 transmute crystals and 8 rosins.
    4b) I reconstruct it already in gold quality and infused trait. This way I spend 25 transmute crystals and 8 rosins. Also, if you pick this option and decide at any time that you do not need the item anymore, you can deconstruct it to get full transmute crystals refund.

Keep in mind that reconstruction costs only transmute crystals and improvement materials. It does not cost any refined materials or trait gems. Also, if you reconstruct perfected gear it already comes in epic without need to invest epic tempers/resins.

You are actually right in that scenario. But if I have an epic jewelry that I'm not going to gold, or an already gold item, transmute would be better. Or if I haven't unlocked the whole set transmute may turn out cheaper too.
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Epona222 wrote: »
    It did sound on the stream as if we would get ALL our mats back (and 25 crystals) for decon, but as others have said, this is not the case

The fact that there is misinformation in the stream, when they clearly prepared to demonstrate the feature... really sad negligence on their part. Even on the stream you clearly saw you didn't get all your mats back when you deconstructed, so the person demonstrating wasn't even paying attention.

Still hoping they will confirm either that the stream info on upgrade mats was definitely wrong or that the PTS will be changed. All still a bit ambiguous.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I see value in that I do not have to store a bunch of sets that I will probably never use. That is most of what is in my inventory. For items I regularly use or even use from time to time it will not help.

Basically, it ends our reasons for hoarding gear.
    This, you keep gear you are using or plan to use. All the stuff you collect because they might be useful or is hard to get you deconstruct. All the hundreds of shoulders.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ozby
    Ozby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I deconned an item i created in gold and got back 1 Dreugh wax
    PC NA
    Aurora Bravepaw (Healden), Basks in Fire (DKTank), Bran Artlion (Magplar), Brindel Seedthorne (Stamden WW), Brugo Gargak (Stamcro), Casimir Delmar (StamDK), Falco Bastion (Stamsorc), Fus Ro Dah (Stamplar), Gandalff the Gay (Petsorc), Jo-Qinan Betula (Magden), Laveera Hex (Magcro), Raine Whitestag (Stamden), Raised by Bears (Wardentank), Ralak Rotheart (Healcro), Selene Sunshadow MagDK), Shadow Mirage (NBTank), Slythe Rattlebone (Healplar), Ulfnor Dragonslayer (Tankcro).
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

1) I clear vMA

I believe you need to farm Fire, Frost, and Ice to complete the collection for Perfected VMA Destro Staff, to get cost down to 25. Will people really want to endlessly grind VMA for a frost staff to get transmute cost down? Maybe, maybe not. And for other in-demand items, like Siroria flame staff or Lokke axe, you need to collect something like 36 items to complete collection and get cost down to 25 transmute crystals. In reality, most people will not be paying more than the 25 crystal cost. You thought farming a BSW inferno staff was a pain, now grind a BSW everything. Yuck.
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

1) I clear vMA

I believe you need to farm Fire, Frost, and Ice to complete the collection for Perfected VMA Destro Staff, to get cost down to 25. Will people really want to endlessly grind VMA for a frost staff to get transmute cost down? Maybe, maybe not. And for other in-demand items, like Siroria flame staff or Lokke axe, you need to collect something like 36 items to complete collection and get cost down to 25 transmute crystals. In reality, most people will not be paying more than the 25 crystal cost. You thought farming a BSW inferno staff was a pain, now grind a BSW everything. Yuck.

Indeed. There seem to be far too many conditions to the system for it to look as much of a killer addition as it seemed on reveal.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1) I clear vMA

Unless you have everything of that stored on your 999999 bank alts. ZoS was pretty clear that old items you already have will make it to the collection. And most of end-game players store old gear, especially weapons.
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) I clear vMA

Unless you have everything of that stored on your 999999 bank alts. ZoS was pretty clear that old items you already have will make it to the collection. And most of end-game players store old gear, especially weapons.

Not sure even the most avid hoarders have been hanging onto those BSW Mauls...
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Altyrann wrote: »

1) I clear vMA

Oh right, that brings me to a question, did they remove smart drop feature for good? For example, are Marksman weapons other than bows acquirable now?
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) I clear vMA

I’ve been trying to get a BSW inferno staff for YEARS. I have the other two staves. I think I got it once a very long time ago on a low level character before I knew what it was, and probably sold it to an npc vendor after I outleveled it. 😲
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) I clear vMA

I have “just in case!” I just wished I had held onto that low level BSW inferno staff all this years ago!
    Edited by Elvenheart on September 22, 2020 3:35PM
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »

1) I clear vMA

I’ve been trying to get a BSW inferno staff for YEARS. I have the other two staves. I think I got it once a very long time ago on a low level character before I knew what it was, and probably sold it to an npc vendor after I outleveled it. 😲

Well, just wait until you farm specific weapon piece of Succession, Winterborn, Para Belum or Hunt Leader. You'll pray to return to BSW inferno farm.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on September 22, 2020 3:53PM
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭

1) I clear vMA

The cost is also higher, isn't it? You need to spend the upgrade mats to take it from white to gold, not just purple to gold? The items don't look like they start at whatever quality they were deconstructed at?
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »

1) I clear vMA

The cost is also higher, isn't it? You need to spend the upgrade mats to take it from white to gold, not just purple to gold? The items don't look like they start at whatever quality they were deconstructed at?

No, that's not the case.

Overland sets always start at green (no need to spend green improvement mats to reconstruct an item) even if you found a gold piece.

Dungeon, arena and trial gear always starts as blue.

Monster sets and Perfected arena and trial gear always starts as purple.

For example, you can't reconstruct blue perfect maelstrom bow. It always starts as purple when reconstructing costing no mastics.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on September 22, 2020 6:24PM
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was asleep for half the stream so I must have completely missed this part bc I have absolutely no idea what you're all talkin' about but sounds dope. lol
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »

1) I clear vMA

No, that's not the case.

Overland sets always start at green (no need to spend green improvement mats to reconstruct an item) even if you found a gold piece.

Dungeon, arena and trial gear always starts as blue.

Monster sets and Perfected arena and trial gear always starts as purple.

For example, you can't reconstruct blue perfect maelstrom bow. It always starts as purple when reconstructing costing no mastics.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system is an addition to complement existing options and help veteran players. It makes sense that you dont get all the upgrade materials back. If this would be the case you would create a perfect recycling loop without the need to ever get new upgrade materials again. Also given that gear modifications usually happen every 3 months everyone should be more than able to gather some reserve upgrade materials.

The system is especially useful for Arena weapons, mythics and monster sets and will help players to clean their storages up. As well for sets that are just stored in case they are needed at some point.

About the complain for inaccuracies in the stream. Keep in mind that the guy is just the representative face. He is a lead which means he is responsible for many ppl and many tasks. That doesnt mean that he is 100% involved in all of them. While it gave the wrong impression he shouldnt be blamed just because he has no 100% accurate insight into the current state.

I like the system. It makes aquiring duplicates of mythics very easy and also helps alot with monster sets. If any gear becomes better over time its much easier to aquire it. As a side effect its also now much easier to store surplus transmute crystals.

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »

I like the system. It makes aquiring duplicates of mythics very easy and also helps alot with monster sets. If any gear becomes better over time its much easier to aquire it. As a side effect its also now much easier to store surplus transmute crystals.

I'm on console so can't test on PTS, but does this mean you can reconstruct something like the Ring of the Wild Hunt for alts and avoid collecting all the necessary antiquity fragments, or does it only apply to "standard" items?
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Mr_Arce88
    Mr_Arce88
    ✭✭✭

1) I clear vMA

Indeed. There seem to be far too many conditions to the system for it to look as much of a killer addition as it seemed on reveal.

Nah, now people will be more willing to trade stuff in dungeons with you. Noone will stick to that inferno stuff they found, and people will gladly swap their mace for your bow etc. You will get your collection in no time, just people have to understand that trading stuff at the end of dungeon is the best way to go for all :)
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

I'm on console so can't test on PTS, but does this mean you can reconstruct something like the Ring of the Wild Hunt for alts and avoid collecting all the necessary antiquity fragments, or does it only apply to "standard" items?

Yes, exactly that @Feric51

Just created a "new" Malacath's Band of Brutality and I've only collected 1 of them on live.

Can make it in any trait I want, and only cost 25 transmute crystals to do so
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Yes. You have to collect it once and can then make copies as much as you like.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Arce88 wrote: »

1) I clear vMA

Nah, now people will be more willing to trade stuff in dungeons with you. Noone will stick to that inferno stuff they found, and people will gladly swap their mace for your bow etc. You will get your collection in no time, just people have to understand that trading stuff at the end of dungeon is the best way to go for all :)

Have you tested if trading bound stuff between players trigegrs this?