The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Excessive Dismounting

Vevvev
Vevvev
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure if a thread has been made on this before but anyone else getting dismounted traveling under things like city gates that you usually never got dismounted for going under before? Its becoming a bit annoying, especially in Wayrest when heading to the Writ guy or going underneath that bridge that leads to the bank.
PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! One of my guildies was mentioning that this weekend. Very annoying.
    The Moot Councillor
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ Agreed.

Going to add being dismounted in water as a request to this as well. Not sure why mounts aren't designed to swim with the player. Dismounting is really annoying in ESO and while I am sure there are some reasons for some of it, being quite excessive in unreasonable ways from a players perspective it really starts to take away from the game experience after a while imho.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very much agree on wishing horses would swim. Very unrealistic to dismount when crossing water. The only challenge I could see is slaughterfish which should simply dismount you just as taking combat damage anytime riding does.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swimming horses would be neat, but what I'm finding is after Stonethorn ((Or maybe even Greymoor and I didn't notice)) that certain things I used to ride under without problem are now dismounting me. Think it even happened in the Imperial City before the event a few patches back, but then after an update it was "fixed" and I didn't notice it anymore.

Maybe it'll get fixed?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you mentioned that bug. I do recall dismounting while just riding along outdoors (no bridges, water, foes, etc) a couple times in the last month or so. I just thought it might be an uncommanded twitch from one of sometimes recalcitrant older fingers but I didin't really think so. Not something I can reliably replicate in my game but since it sounds like I'm not alone, may indeed be a bug.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I definitely never used to get auto-dismounted when riding from the Shornhelm, Rivenspire wayshrine to the guild traders before, but as soon as I hit the city gate right before the traders, I get shucked off now.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s a ploy from Zos to force a speed bump into people.

There’s the passive that allows you to ride safely past mobs, so if you get dumped off from a random archway a nearby mob suddenly sees you and now you can’t get back on because ‘combat’.

I don’t see any other reason to have small random archways and such be zoned off as no-mount areas.
    Edited by Cryptical on September 8, 2020 2:03AM
    Xbox NA
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm under the impression that the devs are doing everything they possibly can to secretly nerf movement speed.
  • Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is this mentioned but no mention of how horses are still completely worthless with the new bug?
    Edited by Jpk0012 on September 8, 2020 2:26AM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jpk0012 wrote: »
    How is this mentioned but no mention of how horses are still completely worthless with the new bug?

I'm only just now bringing attention to it. What is this bug you speak of though? Please elaborate.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ Agreed.

Going to add being dismounted in water as a request to this as well. Not sure why mounts aren't designed to swim with the player. Dismounting is really annoying in ESO and while I am sure there are some reasons for some of it, being quite excessive in unreasonable ways from a players perspective it really starts to take away from the game experience after a while imho.
    Now dismounting in water get more baffling then you realize that the the depth of water you can ride before dismounting depend on character height. Yes an short Bosmer will dismount in shallower water than an tall Altmer.
    Add that this has an impact the farming stuff not to talk about in Cyrodil.

And that is the logic. Now I could kind of understand that short mounts like senche could not walk in as deep water as an horse both logical and in game as it would look stupid being underwater. But character height?
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    ^^ Agreed.

Now dismounting in water get more baffling then you realize that the the depth of water you can ride before dismounting depend on character height. Yes an short Bosmer will dismount in shallower water than an tall Altmer.
    Add that this has an impact the farming stuff not to talk about in Cyrodil.

And that is the logic. Now I could kind of understand that short mounts like senche could not walk in as deep water as an horse both logical and in game as it would look stupid being underwater. But character height?

I haven’t looked myself, but I’ve heard that mount size is determined by character height.
    Xbox NA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cryptical wrote: »

I haven’t looked myself, but I’ve heard that mount size is determined by character height.

It is. My Breton is small and compared to my Nord guild leader's mount my horse looks almost like a pony lol.

That being said your weapons are also scaled to your character's height. This is why your weapons get bigger if you use the Vampire or Bone Colossus ultimates.
    Edited by Vevvev on September 8, 2020 4:18AM
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mentioned it a while back with respect to the Wayrest gates, but it seems like it's everywhere. Driving me crazy. Make it stop!
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had this happen a few nights ago while running around collecting surveys. Passed an archway outside and got booted off my mount. I remember thinking "Why did that dismount me?" for a few seconds, thought maybe they'd added some checks to some new places but then realized that'd be stupid since there's literally no need to put checks in at spots like that.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Nivinfarr
    Nivinfarr
    ✭✭✭
    I got dismounted at a gate a few minutes ago leaving Wayrest. I used to get a load screen sometimes when going through the same gate. Is this somehow related?
  • DukeCybran
    DukeCybran
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they're going to promote some traffic control edict: No Mount in Town.
  • DukeCybran
    DukeCybran
    ✭✭✭
    I very much agree on wishing horses would swim. Very unrealistic to dismount when crossing water. The only challenge I could see is slaughterfish which should simply dismount you just as taking combat damage anytime riding does.

Amphibious mounts might cost you lots of crowns. ;)
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s actually not just dismounting riding under assets, but also BETWEEN - so there is some sort of collision mechanic happening... possibly camera-related?

S.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please fix this! Use Wayrest gates as a test. It happens every time! I'm losing my mind!
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we could mount while in combat because the game stays in combat too long. I was at a horrowstorm and left because it became impossible with 10 bosses running after me and I had to run across a quarter of the map before it would let me mount.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm noticing this seems to be happening more often than before, especially with the gate leading out of Wayrest toward the Undaunted Enclave.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! So annoying! Have been doing writs in Wayrest for years waiting for queue, now the horse dismounts under the arches of the bridge to the central building, in the river, and also under the door to the writ delivery place.

Why?
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started with the Stonethorn patch, IIRC. There's absolutely no good reason for it, but it sure seems intentional.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    “Excessive dismounting”

I bet someone sells a pill for that.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why even have mount restrictions outside of delves and trials. If we want to mount inside a bank or our house what of it.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why even have mount restrictions outside of delves and trials. If we want to mount inside a bank or our house what of it.

It makes sense not to in a bank, then people would cover up/hide/block the NPC's others are trying to interact with.

Now houses. Well, I can see it being restricted inside of houses, but properties like Coldharbor or Moon Sugar Meadow or Stillwaters Retreat make no sense at all.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    I mentioned it a while back with respect to the Wayrest gates, but it seems like it's everywhere. Driving me crazy. Make it stop!

It's also in Daggerfall too. Swapped to Vvardenfell to do my writs after that and it's shaved off about 15 minutes of my rounds.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only place I ever get dismounted is heading toward Grey Mire from the wayshrine. There's a tree root over the road, and heading into Grey Mire dismounts me every time. Heading back to the wayshrine, no dismount.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shadowfen has to be the worst offender for this, a friend of mine called it the Toilet of Tamriel for this very reason :D