The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil AoE changes

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Ball groups =/= only group play available. Random group members won't be affected much by changes we talk about. Same goes to small scale groups. There is still a lot of group play in Cyro. Even bunch of solo players fighting side by side is a group of players. Sorry but Cyro will be fine without ball groups.

Who says that Ballgroups won't play? Even the most ignorant ball group leader must have realized by now that

Proxies, SubAssault and Synergies still work, and the three make up roughly 80% of a ballgroup's damage even when not considering Ultimates.

They only problem is the lack of healing, and there are a some possible fixes for that.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The issue with these tests is that they change many different aspects of the game as the same time. More than half of all skills will be affected by the cooldown, so there will be a very huge impact on general playstyle, e.g. which classes people play.

If it doesn't lag during the tests it is impossible to tell why exactly this was: Because organised groups didn't play during the event? Because Templars didn't play during the event? Because way less people played? Because fights resolved quicker?

Now you might say: "Well as long as it doesn't lag, it doesn't matter why that is!" - However the issue there is that people will adapt to the final changes, but they won't adapt to stupid tests and just not play - so any data derived from the tests is not representative for the actual impact of that change.
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LoreToo wrote: »
    Tests will provide 0 data for Devs cause 1/2 players won't play. The ideas behind this tests tells us that MMO part of eso finally 100% dead and it's time to move forward to other MMO projects.
    Tnx to all solo players for that changes. Hope u will enjoy skyrim online.
    We all know that the only way to fix cyro is to rewrite game code and upgrade servers.

Ball groups =/= only group play available. Random group members won't be affected much by changes we talk about. Same goes to small scale groups. There is still a lot of group play in Cyro. Even bunch of solo players fighting side by side is a group of players. Sorry but Cyro will be fine without ball groups.

Sry to say but ballgrouping is the only end-game group PvP activity we had.
    Solo players fighting side by side is faction stucking and not near a group play.
    Smallscalers are fine if they use their brian and synergies their builds. If you call 3-5 ppl with 2h spamming dizzy around 1 rock smallscale - you are wrong

Oh my oh my, really? Then why ball groups don't fight each other but only farm pugs or even smallscalers/solo players? It's not about challenge or "end game" PvP. Sorry, but you won't be missed, actually without ball groups lagging servers, Cyrodiil may become more popular and once again be fun!

Who cares if selfish bunch of players (who despite knowing how it affects other players performance still play in most disruptive way) will leave? You always could play as a team but without stacking on each other backs. You could play like a organised large scale group, but you choose not to.

Then you wonder why nobody likes ball groups and wants to get rid of them? It's not because they are annoying and boring to play against, it's because you degradate performance for all other players.

I know, I know servers/game code performance is ZOS fault. True. Taking advantage of that fact though is all on ball groups.

I remember first months of game when people didnt figured that ball-group formation is strongest playstyle. It was best time in cyro when people were spreaded and it was actually "large-scale", and not jsut stack entire cyro pop in 50m of map.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Tests will provide 0 data for Devs cause 1/2 players won't play. The ideas behind this tests tells us that MMO part of eso finally 100% dead and it's time to move forward to other MMO projects.
    We all know that the only way to fix cyro is to rewrite game code and upgrade servers.

Solo players fighting side by side is faction stucking and not near a group play.
    Smallscalers are fine if they use their brian and synergies their builds. If you call 3-5 ppl with 2h spamming dizzy around 1 rock smallscale - you are wrong

Oh my oh my, really? Then why ball groups don't fight each other but only farm pugs or even smallscalers/solo players? It's not about challenge or "end game" PvP. Sorry, but you won't be missed, actually without ball groups lagging servers, Cyrodiil may become more popular and once again be fun!

Who cares if selfish bunch of players (who despite knowing how it affects other players performance still play in most disruptive way) will leave? You always could play as a team but without stacking on each other backs. You could play like a organised large scale group, but you choose not to.

Then you wonder why nobody likes ball groups and wants to get rid of them? It's not because they are annoying and boring to play against, it's because you degradate performance for all other players.

I know, I know servers/game code performance is ZOS fault. True. Taking advantage of that fact though is all on ball groups.

I remember first months of game when people didnt figured that ball-group formation is strongest playstyle. It was best time in cyro when people were spreaded and it was actually "large-scale", and not jsut stack entire cyro pop in 50m of map.

Yeah. I still have clips from those times. It was the most epic time of Cyrodiil. No lag, no FPS drops, hundreds of people fighting, trebuchets and ballistas shooting everywhere. That was the reason why I fell in love with Cyrodiil.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Remember Lightning Patch?
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So true
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People still complaining about these ‘tests’, really? You do realize, that currently on live, ALL your abilities go on cool down at random times even.

Just help with testing, it’s really all we can do right now.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »

Remember Lightning Patch?

Impossible to forget time when game says you have 0.8 fps.
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That was the height of PvP, IMO: beta, early access, and the first few months after launch. Everyone was still figuring out what worked best and experimenting. It had its issues, sure, but damn was it some fun PvP.
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on September 8, 2020 12:29PM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I will place a bet with you right now the map is dead. You figure the gankers, bombers and 1vxers drive action on the map? That is so laughable its crazy......they will try siege one or two times but beyond that you will just have groups of them in comms dog-piling anyone who comes out of keeps they will be hiding in. As I type this its crickets in cyro right now---lets see how this glorious experiment turns out.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Cinbri How's the aoe test for you? You're probably the most experienced Plar I know.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    @Cinbri How's the aoe test for you? You're probably the most experienced Plar I know.

Ported on poplocked Sotha -> ran to defend Farra -> disconnected from game and cant log back.
    Lag will decrease I heared...
  • Dorkener
    Dorkener
    ✭✭✭
    Can we please, at the very least, make armor buffs ignore this 3 sec cooldown rule? I mean, cast Channeled Focus - can't jab, can't cleanse, can't repentance... I guess the same applies to all other armor buffs (minus NB, yay ._.), and adds 3 awkward "uhhh now what" GCDs to the start of every engagement. Or vigor->PotL->Javelin like a robot everytime because every other button on my bars is greyed out :/
  • Squeaky_Clean
    Squeaky_Clean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been to Cyro now with my Templar main. Defending Aleswell for a couple of minutes .. half of front bar and most of my backbar is affected .. (Rapids is an AoE, and therefore evil) .. unplayable for me .. cya in four weeks in Cyro when this madness is over. :/

If these changes stay in place in PVP (cooldown on AoE in particular), I am quitting ESO PVP for good. That's not a threat, but a statement of a future fact.

Btw. Imperial City/Sewers is apparently not part of this .. so I can still kill some fellow PVPers there (or try at least). ;)
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Triple lock on PC eu, barely no lag under high stress situations.

But we lost IC. Overflown by tears. :P

On a more serious note, the game remains playable when highly stressed but we can clearly feel that the server capacity is reaching its limits.

I really think that 4th & 5th tests will have more impact.

I'm also amazed how some guild groups are totally clueless on how to fight without being able to spam AEs. They are getting totally destroyed by random solo players in Cyrodiil.

• renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »

Ported on poplocked Sotha -> ran to defend Farra -> disconnected from game and cant log back.
    Lag will decrease I heared...

I guess *technically* you can't have any lag if you can't log in, right?
    Edited by renne on September 9, 2020 8:09AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the last test I predict ballgrps to limit themselves to 11 man teams, maybe multiple of them in order to bypass the cooldown.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    October 12-19: Group size is limited to 12 in Cyrodiil, and if a group contains 6 or more players, everyone’s AoE abilities will go on individual cooldowns and have escalating cost similar to the tests above

Only this change has a real potential to improve both performance and experience in pvp. It limits capabilities and effectiveness of organized ball groups, which are the root cause in PvP:
    - their coordinated non-stop spamming of AoEs, both offensive and defensive ones, are the No. 1 cause of lag
    - their AoE spam and combination of all / most buffs and debuffs makes them invulnerable to anything but another organized ball group of equal size and skill, which ruins the PvP experience for most players

There is no reason to keep these groups around as they ruin PvP for 99% of players and give both ZOS and the game a bad reputation for poor performance in PvP.

ZOS should rather provide a Guild vs. Guild battle ground for players that like GvG instead of lagging out the entire pvp population every day. That way, these ballgroups can fight and compete with each other. And those who just want easy AP, will just have to adapt and play in a smaller group - 6 people in an organized group are still hard to kill and very effective!
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    That first test....just, uh, no. Poor templars and sorcs. It essentially kills them.

[...]

The last two tests..."ally targetting abilities only affect the group", if that makes rapid regen or Spirit Guardian a guaranteed self-only hot if I'm not grouped? That could be super interesting.

Was in Cyrodiil yesterday with a necromancer procbuild designed specifically to handle the AOE testing and my normal magsorc. Amazing fact: after changing just two skills on my skillbar, the magsorc worked as well or better than the necro with a global AOE cooldown, and both worked fine. Another amazing fact: Even with poplock on all three alliances and a huge fight of 50 EP vs 50 DC at Ash, there was no lag.

So yes, limiting the use of AOEs clearly reduces lag (also because it massively reduces healing and ppl die faster). A global cooldon on AOEs will not be the answer, though, because it debilitates some classes way more than others. Maybe stacking costs will help.

I'm super-interested in the very last test - group limitation of AOE support skills plus mounting costs in groups bigger than five. That could be THE gamechanger for Cyrodiil. It will counterbalance the advantage of running in larger groups als compared to small scale or solo players, it will stop the crosshealing over megazergs and it will limit but not disable the efficiency of AOE spamming 12-man-ballgroups.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still laggy for me. Not super laggy, but Cyro was only pop-locked on two factions and not much of a queue. Most people are in IC right now. If this performance is as good as it can possibly get - the current change being the most draconian - I'm not satisfied.

On my build a single cloak failure can mean death. Spamming Cloak alone has always been surprisingly reliable, even in lag. However, when alternating between Cloak and buff skills, such as Siphoning Attacks and Race Against Time, that's when I immediately notice whether a campaign is laggy or not. It still didn't work consistently last night.

No, this is not an issue specifically with my build, nor am I saying the game is totally unplayable. It's just that, over time, I have learnt this is an easy way to check for lag. If alternating Cloak with other skills sometimes fails or feels laggy, it's a sign of the combat lag you will subsequently encounter.
    Edited by fred4 on September 9, 2020 12:39PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pauld1_ESO wrote: »
    Anything that stops these stupid ball groups would be fine with me. If it is all "coordination and skill" like they say then they should be just fine.

And unfortunately, this is why ESO will fail.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

katorga wrote: »
    That first test....just, uh, no. Poor templars and sorcs. It essentially kills them.

[...]

The last two tests..."ally targetting abilities only affect the group", if that makes rapid regen or Spirit Guardian a guaranteed self-only hot if I'm not grouped? That could be super interesting.

Was in Cyrodiil yesterday with a necromancer procbuild designed specifically to handle the AOE testing and my normal magsorc. Amazing fact: after changing just two skills on my skillbar, the magsorc worked as well or better than the necro with a global AOE cooldown, and both worked fine. Another amazing fact: Even with poplock on all three alliances and a huge fight of 50 EP vs 50 DC at Ash, there was no lag.

Man I am super curious what two sorc skills you swapped out....I just can't play mag sorc without streak and mines. Love those two skills. I have not been able to adjust to "cast my armor buff, oh carp, my next skill is locked". Too much muscle memory to unlearn in 2 days.

My necro is doing great. I'm playing with almost no changes to my build, but I am finding that stacking movement speed is Good. I have a sneaky feeling that most Cyro players cannot target other players. I think aoe spam has been prevented them from ever needing to be able to, and now they can't. I'm not a great player by any means but no lag gives me a huge leg up. Necro because of its strange mechanics gets punished heavily in high lag fights.

• HanStolo
    HanStolo
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if the tests are working or not but I played last night for the first time and the servers felt really smooth even during a big fight.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I appreciate ZOS trying to improve performance I dont see how any of these changes are a benefit to actual game play other that to make it harder to actually pvp in a pvp zone.
  • PvXGamer
    PvXGamer
    ✭✭✭
    Healing with this current phase 1 change is just about an exercise in futility.
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit and their pack were quite perturbed when we began running Tuesday. Mostly because Telel had forgotten the testing began that day , and had to spend over an hour refining a setup they'd been running for some months.

Running into a known cheater from a certain toxic guild didn't help.

However it quickly became a paradigm shift. Plus we' re all used to adjusting things on the fly. Especially since we're often (purposely) on a lower population faction fighting 'good' players. Especially ones who always run to whichever faction has the best population advantages.

Sadly this one suffered technical issues the first day and so does not have anything to really show of it.

AS far as performance goes Telel discovered two things.Though they must admit this is all done while being on a faction that's 1 or 2 bars pushing against opponents who are 'only' at 3 bars. Which will be a lot less laggy than the more popular times.

1) Overall performance has improved. But there's still certain groups/players who seem to drag 'problems' in their wake. Crashes, having to reload ui in order to regain use of WASD keys, massive frame rate drops, etc.

2) There were a LOT fewer issues where we couldn't break free , use ults, get skills to fire, pop potions due to 'skilled gameplay' on the part of 'good' players.

E.G: Compare this video from today to previous defense COH has done in the past.

Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dorkener wrote: »
    Can we please, at the very least, make armor buffs ignore this 3 sec cooldown rule? I mean, cast Channeled Focus - can't jab, can't cleanse, can't repentance... I guess the same applies to all other armor buffs (minus NB, yay ._.), and adds 3 awkward "uhhh now what" GCDs to the start of every engagement. Or vigor->PotL->Javelin like a robot everytime because every other button on my bars is greyed out :/

This is a problem with other classes too. It also reveals relationships to systems when they cowboy coded the classes.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    EmEm_Oh wrote: »
    pauld1_ESO wrote: »
    Anything that stops these stupid ball groups would be fine with me. If it is all "coordination and skill" like they say then they should be just fine.

And unfortunately, this is why ESO will fail.

??? What does that even mean..
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing about the group limit being just 12. We have a group limit of 24 and still see stacks of 40-70+ at various times. Do you really think that just because they drop the limit that there will be a difference in the number of players who already stack multiple groups?
  • keoma01
    keoma01
    ✭✭
    I don't care what the changes will be, but I don't want to play a game what is not fun. Cooldown on puncturing sweep or Honor the dead is not fun at all. If you don't plan to keep cooldown on these skills then why to test it? These changes fundamentally change the balance between classes.