The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorcery Tanking - Pet Heal Viable?

• Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is if that much mitigation is needed and worth. Let's take an example - Lord Falgravn HM execute phase.

Normally, you must block each LA and roll-dodge each HA. If Bound Aegis is enough to survive HA just with block up, than it's good and makes the encounter much easier. If it's not enough and the HA still kills you with Bound Aegis up and you have to roll dodge it anyways, than it's pointless. And that's my question towards you, which case is true? Will HM Flgravn's HA kill you during execute phase even with Bound Aegis up? We've only done it with NB and DK main tanks, so I am curious wheter sorc would have it easier thanks to not having to roll-dodge heavies.

I tried, you can survive the heavy. But is it worth it? Not really, since usually you'd want to stand in the group to get the heals and roll the heavies to nicely stack the AOEs on the same spot. The issue is not surviving the hit, but it's space management with the ground DoT.

It still makes it much more manageable since you need less healing to recover from the LAs.

I didn't get to try that much, I was only a tank backup on that progression. I ended up clearing as off-tank/healer
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    As others pointed out, Sorc tanks are amazing. They have the highest achieveable mitigation, basically infinite sustain through dark deal, and a very strong heal with the clannfear. If I crit I can go from 20 to 100% health, and unlike the DK heal it doesn't depend on your current health, only max health.

The Clannfear is 100% invulnerable in dungeons and trials.They're not targetable.

This is 100% true, sorc tanks are super sturdy. They just don't have group utility of a DK

EDIT: the only thing I don't like about sorc tanks is their burst heal takes 2 slots instead of 1
    Edited by Saubon on September 4, 2020 5:41AM
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Olupajmibanan Falgravens Heavy in HM cant one shot u with aegis up. Tested it and i think i got a vid somewhere.
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is if that much mitigation is needed and worth. Let's take an example - Lord Falgravn HM execute phase.

Normally, you must block each LA and roll-dodge each HA. If Bound Aegis is enough to survive HA just with block up, than it's good and makes the encounter much easier. If it's not enough and the HA still kills you with Bound Aegis up and you have to roll dodge it anyways, than it's pointless. And that's my question towards you, which case is true? Will HM Flgravn's HA kill you during execute phase even with Bound Aegis up? We've only done it with NB and DK main tanks, so I am curious wheter sorc would have it easier thanks to not having to roll-dodge heavies.

@Olupajmibanan it is more than possible with the way how block bonuses work (1-(Blocking)/100)*(1-(Extra blocking #1+Extra blocking #2+Extra blocking #3)/100).

I looked at some esologs and DKs with 40% block bonuses (10% iron skin+20% sword and board+10% defensive stance) took 60k dmg, sorc with the exact same setup (not counting minor resolve sorcs have) and bound aegis (20% SnB+10% defensive stance+40% bound aegis=70%) would take 30k, with footman set 22k

I didn't tested this, but immovable with 7 heavy pieces should give you 35% block bonus for 6 seconds but it is stamina expensive and you cannot move
  • Lab3360
    Lab3360
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saubon wrote: »

@Olupajmibanan it is more than possible with the way how block bonuses work (1-(Blocking)/100)*(1-(Extra blocking #1+Extra blocking #2+Extra blocking #3)/100).

I looked at some esologs and DKs with 40% block bonuses (10% iron skin+20% sword and board+10% defensive stance) took 60k dmg, sorc with the exact same setup (not counting minor resolve sorcs have) and bound aegis (20% SnB+10% defensive stance+40% bound aegis=70%) would take 30k, with footman set 22k

I didn't tested this, but immovable with 7 heavy pieces should give you 35% block bonus for 6 seconds but it is stamina expensive and you cannot move

I will test immovable tonight. I have used it in the past. I didnt see any difference in block at the time. But, I also was not looking at it with scrutiny at thhe time.
    Edited by Lab3360 on September 8, 2020 9:01AM