The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does the Medusa destruction staff drop in anything besides ice?

• SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had pretty good luck with it. I have every jewelry piece and every staff (drops in resto, too). I had a friend running with me to double my chances, and I have antiquities leveled up, so I have the perk that makes chests glow. You'd be surprised how many you easily miss and how valuable they are! My lightning staff came out of a hidden chest after the final boss.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    RefLiberty wrote: »
    They will probably nerf it, that crit is OP for 5 item set

Why would they nerf it? It is a worse version of Mother's Sorrow (which has a Maximum Magicka bonus that Medusa lacks) and the Minor Force can be gotten from other means than a 5-piece bonus. In terms of stat density, Mother's Sorrow + a separate source of Minor Force > Medusa.

Medusa feels more like a convenience set. Where you can get more DPS from Mother's Sorrow and using Channeled Acceleration or Barbed Trap, but find CA or BT to be kind of clunky and annoying. You are sacrificing DPS for convenience and an extra bar slot.

Also, Medusa is Heavy Armor, giving you significant limitations and drawbacks over light armor Mother's Sorrow. You either have to go weapons and jewelry, losing about 8% crit chance and 10% crit damage on back bar. Or, use 2 heavy body pieces and jewelry for 100% uptime on that 8% crit chance and 10% crit chance, but are forced into both monster pieces being light armor and losing out on some Undaunted passives that increase DPS.

In addition, Channeled Acceleration is only cast every 36 seconds and Barbed Trap is a stamina skill. Using Medusa and replacing CA or BT with a typical 10-second DoT increases your resource drain noticeably over a long fight. It will be harder to sustain a Medusa build, making it more likely you need to sacrifice some DPS stats for sustain stats.

It actually seems like one of ZOS' better designed sets. It has good stats, but has clear drawbacks.

Medusa actually appeals to me because it is a HEAVY armor magicka set....and in that regard is far superior for when you need survivability to mother's sorrow. yes, I know most of the people here are farming Medusa for weapons and jewelry....but this will pair nicely with Rattlecage for my Tank/DPS hybrid allowing me to mix and match as needed. You are absolutely correct though, for most builds, MS will still be better.

They are very, very close.

Sorrow and medusa. only a few percentage apart.
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well i ran 6 vet arx today, got 4 inferno staff. 2x precise 1x infused and 1x trained

no luck with ice/lightning staff
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, got a Fire staff while I was farming the dungeon for the antique lead, luckily I was pugging it from dungeon finder and ended up in a group with a fellow EP PvPer who was looking for it, so gave it away since I don't have a mag character who needed it.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to bump this thread - after running Arx at least once a day since AUGUST... I finally got a single Medusa fire staff today.

Now for the lightning staff... *sigh*
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nabbed a sparkle stick last night doing randoms with two friends leveling alts(I'm on a leveled toon). Which surprised me because my luck is usually more in tune with farming for a BSW fire stick for 3+years and finally getting one. On a level 20something...
    Edited by Nord_Raseri on October 9, 2020 5:51PM
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • fortyfivekva_ESO
    fortyfivekva_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Farmed all day yesterday, got 4 resto staves, 1 ice staff. Finally I started mentioning to group I needed a destro staff and 2 runs later someone gave me a lightning<3
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The inferno dropped for me a few days ago. I have not received a medusa necklace, so I am using the staff, chest, and 2 rings.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Intha1313
    Intha1313
    ✭✭✭
    Dropped on my 19th ish run this morning as part of my 1 normal run a day. Thanks rngesus I guess
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Surprising how many people are looking for the staves. The appeal to me is that it frees up a skill and gives 100% uptime on minor force.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It do
  • davidj8291
    davidj8291
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After getting my 5th (!) Medusa ice staff today, I'm beginning to think this set does not have a fire or lightning staff.

Ive run this dungeon 287 times in the last month and have YET to see a Medusa Ice Staff drop from it.

Wish I had your luck.
    ZOS likes to say they have no control over the loot tables yet Ice Staves are abundant before they added Brittle, now you can’t find them in the set that benefits most from it?

Loaded loot tables and RNG isn’t quality content. It makes me want to quit.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not disagreeing, but at least Collections makes it a little less painful. I've now collected enough pieces of the Medusa set to reconstruct at 34 crystals - which is where the 5 other fire staves I need are coming from. I actually might reconstruct all the jewelry or body pieces I need too, because I have plenty of mats.
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, got one. Good luck mate, may RNGsus smile upon you.
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got it on a rdm normal not to long ago. I now have the full set because of that.
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got both fire and lightning in one pledge run while a friend of me has been farming for 50 runs
  • Countdownical
    Countdownical
    ✭✭✭
    This page will show which pieces that drop for each set. For example Medusa:
    https://eso-sets.com/set/medusa
    @Countdownical Experienced High-End Raider - PC EU - Here since Feb 27, 2014.

Lead of Flipping Coins - Rawl'kha, Reaper's March.
    Lead of Rolling Coins - Belkarth, Craglorn.
    Lead of Shining Coins - Elden Root, Grahtwood.

All are TRADE Guilds. Contact me for invites!
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Random is random.
    I dont like farming,but I play pledges for 5 years, still no BSW flame staff.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »
    Random is random.
    I dont like farming,but I play pledges for 5 years, still no BSW flame staff.

In that same time I've found 1. On a lowbie toon. Held onto it as proof it exists. Glad I did!
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • ForeverJenn
    ForeverJenn
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I got one to drop outta a billion runs. It's in the RNG but stupid low probability it seems
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How I Got Mine:

Arx spawns 4 chests to be looted each time. Each of those chests are in safe locations. Before the Wamasu boss there are 8 of roughly 26 possible spawn locations. Same as with City of Ash 1 and the old BSW Inferno farm, run through the first part of the dungeon solo, open any chests en route, leave, flip the difficulty, do it again.

Yes the drop rate is low. You have like a 1 in 60 chance or so to begin with each time with only the final boss, adds, or chests being the only possible source of the weapon drop. You only notice it more because you’re hunting for a specific thing and other players usually stay mute if they get it due to their hunting.
  • LithiumFear
    Is there anything wrong with running Medusa with MS? Everyone talks about swapping it for MS but why not put them together. 5 piece MS and Medusa stave/jewels with a monster set.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironically the ice staff is the only version I don’t have.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on March 24, 2021 4:01PM
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anything wrong with running Medusa with MS? Everyone talks about swapping it for MS but why not put them together. 5 piece MS and Medusa stave/jewels with a monster set.
    I suggest you create your own topic so it gets the visibility it deserves — and because it's about something different from this one.

What I can say for now is that I tested both Medusa + Mother's Sorrow and Medusa + Mantle of Siroria (which was what I was already using before this patch). Somehow, the first was weaker than the second but, perhaps, it was just a bad luck parsing session in which the RNG landed more on the 25% of non-critical I have rather than the others 75% o.O

Inb4...
    S8ayGoL.jpg

:sweat_smile:
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had 3 lightning and 2 fire (no ice or restro). It was the jewelry I struggled to get. Done 10 runs
    Edited by rumple9 on March 24, 2021 4:04PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you create your own topic so it gets the visibility it deserves — and because it's about something different from this one.

What I can say for now is that I tested both Medusa + Mother's Sorrow and Medusa + Mantle of Siroria (which was what I was already using before this patch). Somehow, the first was weaker than the second but, perhaps, it was just a bad luck parsing session in which the RNG landed more on the 25% of non-critical I have rather than the others 75% o.O

I think Medusa will pair well with MS; actually, I think Alcast has them paired for several mag dps builds. As for Siroria, I heard from I don’t recall where that Siroria is only better for parsing and that other sets are better in practice.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on March 24, 2021 4:06PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have the ice and resto staff, but the fire and lighting do exist.
  • Auth3nticGlitch
    Auth3nticGlitch
    ✭✭✭
    I ran the dungeon solo about 5 times and got every piece I needed, I think RNG was on my side for sure. I got the inferno staff in the last chest in the dungeon at the top of the tower. I forget how I got the necklace I think it was the last boss and I got one ring and simply used transmute station to create another. I was so happy I never had to grind it 30 times lol
    Edited by Auth3nticGlitch on March 24, 2021 4:28PM
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one on my stamblade after running it at least a dozen times this week on my magsorc.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got flame out of a chest. Haven't gotten a lightning or ice.