The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

real talk hows a stamblade supposed to deal with a magdk

• erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    erio wrote: »
    Read the posts title. Yeah I feel most people would be annoyed fighting something thats incredibly unbalanced and hard for them to win, gimmie back my 300 telvar plus interest i dropped when I died.
    Let me just put one more thought out there. You're a nightblade. The choice whether you survive and bring your Tel Var home or whether you die is almost entirely up to you. You got Cloak and Shadow Image. Nightblades cannot be beaten, they can only lose a fight. If you know there is a class or an outnumbered situation that's dicey, it's up to you to assess the risk and reset the fight, or to get out of there, or to never be seen in the first place. That's more of a choice than most classes have.

I'm playing this game for 5 years. At first I was with you and everyone who clamoured for balance. It only made sense. These days I've changed my mind. Every build you play is a compromise. It excels at some things and fails at others, sometimes miserably. There are competitive aspects to this game, but ultimately it's an RPG. The very nature of open world is that situations are almost never fair.

Nightblades have huge advantages in open world. They got nerfed, because of it. Cloak being what it is seems an incredibly hard thing to balance. But you know what? It's fair enough. I see the "OP" tanky classes, the meta builds, and they cannot do what I do. They don't have my speed, nor do they have my survivability other than by jamming themselves inbetween a wall and a staircase in IC. Being a nightblade gives you some incredible freedoms.

At this point, just wait for next patch. Can't say I agree that ZOS are messing with the AOE functionality of skills, rather than straight up fixing performance, but this will play into nightblades' hands. Cloak will become that much more effective.

It was obvious sarcasm.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    like they just put 10 dots on you in like 3 seconds and then hold block, like whats the counter here, cause you cant outdamage them like that. Nb gotta stand like 2 inches away from them to do any damage but you just get nuked if you step in their grothdarr range.

Grothdar only procs off damage. As a melee NB, you should be engaging from the flank in stealth anyway. Most DKs will probably run 5 dots, with 3 of them coming from skills:
    -Burning Embers - application is dodgeable
    -Engulfing Flames - frontal cone that can be avoided
    - Burning Talons - AoE, just dodge out of the root and stealth.

Grothdar and burning proc are self explanatory.

It honestly sounds like a LTP issue. Change your strat against that specific type of build.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like they just put 10 dots on you in like 3 seconds and then hold block, like whats the counter here, cause you cant outdamage them like that. Nb gotta stand like 2 inches away from them to do any damage but you just get nuked if you step in their grothdarr range.

Grothdar only procs off damage. As a melee NB, you should be engaging from the flank in stealth anyway. Most DKs will probably run 5 dots, with 3 of them coming from skills:
    -Burning Embers - application is dodgeable
    -Engulfing Flames - frontal cone that can be avoided
    - Burning Talons - AoE, just dodge out of the root and stealth.

Grothdar and burning proc are self explanatory.

It honestly sounds like a LTP issue. Change your strat against that specific type of build.

A good mag dk running elf bane, adds insane scaling to both grothdarr, and buring talons. "grothdar only procs off damage" im not some cheese nb who only does stealth stuff buddy, and believe it or not, you tend to take some damage in pvp. Well, by your logic if something is dodgeable, its a l2p issue. not going to try to explain to you how silly your reasoning is.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Run away, try to burst, run away, rinse and repeat.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    Some of these comments ...

If you are on medium armor stamblade, you are going to struggle vs a good magdk, they are by far the class that more preassure is going to put on you. As soon as you get in range, you are at 50-60% HP almost instantly with the pressure from dots, overwhelming surge, grothar/zaan, etc. The fossilise stun is brutal and leap is a great finisher.

You need to build up mitigation and healing if you want to survive a duel with a magdk, if you morph the cloak to the other one, you get minor protection and a strong healing dot, that in combination with minor main from shadow image and a good defensive set (brass, orgnum scales, pariah, etc), should allow you to go medium and been able to hold quite well the pressure. You need to find a good balance on your build beetwen damage and mitigation, if you go full damage medium armor any decent mdk is going to clap you easily, they only need to bait your combo, block it (nobody runs fear nowadays) and then counter attack.

Thank you for talking some sense, ty for the advice. Have to say it kind of goes to show something is a bit too strong if you gotta literally change your build just to deal with one class.

That's literally how the game works though. You can't run one build and expect it to beat all other builds and setups. That doesn't exist. Even Meta builds have weaknesses that can be capitalized on, it is just running those builds aren't useful against everything, only against one or two playstyles so people don't find them worth running.

But that is the fun part of this MMO, you have to make a choice on your class, gear setup, skills setup, etc and decide what your build wants to be good at, and then learn how to pilot it. There will always be someone running some set combo that just destroys your build, but the same goes for you...whatever build you run probably deletes someone else's build. It's not a perfect "Rock-Paper-Scissor" scenario but it is close.

You're mad that you ran into a combo that your build struggles with based on how you currently pilot it....welcome to checks and balances bud. Instead of blaming your build, maybe learn how their build is wrecking you and learn how to play around it. That's how PVP always has, and always will function.

Really now? 99.99% of people dont change their build when they see a different class. Its not really fun to have to change your gear every 3 seconds. First of all, im not mad... Second of all, me literally walking within melee range and instantly going to 50% hp with 15k resists and like 1.2k health recovery while i have vigor and rally up isnt really my build struggling, considering i can dunk on literally any other class. Maybe im missing how im supposed to avoid fossilize, grothdarr, like 5 other dots, talons, and elf bane in a 2 second window, every few seconds.

I never said they change their build everytime they face a build that beats their build. They pick a build that fits their playstyle, they tweak it until they feel it's as min/maxed as they want it to be, and they learn what their build is good at and what it's bad at. No one expect their build to be good against everything (well except you). When they run into someone who has a build that is a counter to theirs, they either learn to play around that person, engage that person with a group or leave that person alone.

Your complaint is that someone has a build that can counter yours. Duh. What else did you expect?

One class being at a mega disadvantage to another isnt really great game design imo for this type of game. Can we stop pretending this is some 1000iq game of 4d chess too? Its literally wear whatever tanky/damage sets do the most, essentially dressing up your character like a barbie doll with a different combination of the same 10 actually stat viable sets. Id expect more balance.

It's not your CLASS that is at a disadvantage.....jesus christ. It's your BUILD and your SKILLS. The guy is running a build is is REALLY good against the thing your build sucks at....and he is REALLY good at capitalizing on your weaknesses. It's called getting outplayed.

But you are a nightblade...CLOAK BRO!......You're playing the only class with a "NOPE Not today Jr.." button. ....learn how to properly use it and you will die less.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you are on medium armor stamblade, you are going to struggle vs a good magdk, they are by far the class that more preassure is going to put on you. As soon as you get in range, you are at 50-60% HP almost instantly with the pressure from dots, overwhelming surge, grothar/zaan, etc. The fossilise stun is brutal and leap is a great finisher.

You need to build up mitigation and healing if you want to survive a duel with a magdk, if you morph the cloak to the other one, you get minor protection and a strong healing dot, that in combination with minor main from shadow image and a good defensive set (brass, orgnum scales, pariah, etc), should allow you to go medium and been able to hold quite well the pressure. You need to find a good balance on your build beetwen damage and mitigation, if you go full damage medium armor any decent mdk is going to clap you easily, they only need to bait your combo, block it (nobody runs fear nowadays) and then counter attack.

Thank you for talking some sense, ty for the advice. Have to say it kind of goes to show something is a bit too strong if you gotta literally change your build just to deal with one class.

That's literally how the game works though. You can't run one build and expect it to beat all other builds and setups. That doesn't exist. Even Meta builds have weaknesses that can be capitalized on, it is just running those builds aren't useful against everything, only against one or two playstyles so people don't find them worth running.

But that is the fun part of this MMO, you have to make a choice on your class, gear setup, skills setup, etc and decide what your build wants to be good at, and then learn how to pilot it. There will always be someone running some set combo that just destroys your build, but the same goes for you...whatever build you run probably deletes someone else's build. It's not a perfect "Rock-Paper-Scissor" scenario but it is close.

You're mad that you ran into a combo that your build struggles with based on how you currently pilot it....welcome to checks and balances bud. Instead of blaming your build, maybe learn how their build is wrecking you and learn how to play around it. That's how PVP always has, and always will function.

Really now? 99.99% of people dont change their build when they see a different class. Its not really fun to have to change your gear every 3 seconds. First of all, im not mad... Second of all, me literally walking within melee range and instantly going to 50% hp with 15k resists and like 1.2k health recovery while i have vigor and rally up isnt really my build struggling, considering i can dunk on literally any other class. Maybe im missing how im supposed to avoid fossilize, grothdarr, like 5 other dots, talons, and elf bane in a 2 second window, every few seconds.

I never said they change their build everytime they face a build that beats their build. They pick a build that fits their playstyle, they tweak it until they feel it's as min/maxed as they want it to be, and they learn what their build is good at and what it's bad at. No one expect their build to be good against everything (well except you). When they run into someone who has a build that is a counter to theirs, they either learn to play around that person, engage that person with a group or leave that person alone.

Your complaint is that someone has a build that can counter yours. Duh. What else did you expect?

One class being at a mega disadvantage to another isnt really great game design imo for this type of game. Can we stop pretending this is some 1000iq game of 4d chess too? Its literally wear whatever tanky/damage sets do the most, essentially dressing up your character like a barbie doll with a different combination of the same 10 actually stat viable sets. Id expect more balance.

It's not your CLASS that is at a disadvantage.....jesus christ. It's your BUILD and your PLAYING. The guy is running a build is is REALLY good against the thing your build sucks at....and he is REALLY good at capitalizing on your weaknesses. It's called getting outplayed.

But you are a nightblade...CLOAK BRO!......You're playing the only class with a "NOPE Not today Jr.." button. ....learn how to properly use it and you will die less.

• erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not your CLASS that is at a disadvantage.....jesus christ. It's your BUILD and your SKILLS. The guy is running a build is is REALLY good against the thing your build sucks at....and he is REALLY good at capitalizing on your weaknesses. It's called getting outplayed.

Ah yes, nightblade, the class with low defense which relies on stealth, or mobility and dodging (or boring eternal vigor). Its crazy how I would think that a class thats main defenses are that is weak against an all aoe class huh? Its not really getting outplayed buddy. Maybe you dont understand what i wrote, I said how do i kill them, not how do i escape. I can run away all day, but im asking how you fight and kill them. [snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting and Rude Comments]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on August 23, 2020 3:08PM
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't be able to kill everything dude. I main a NB, I accept there are certain builds I just don't *** with.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pauld1_ESO wrote: »
    Shouldn't be able to kill everything dude. I main a NB, I accept there are certain builds I just don't *** with.

stop defending poor balance
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

rofl....so your idea of balance is you should be able to destroy everything with your NB? Are you serious right now?

ESO is not balanced, I agree there. But neither is your idea of it.

Balance in any PvP is when you sacrifice dps for survivability or vice versa. I see far too much crap in this PvP where people have builds with both, you do little damage to them but they can kill you in seconds. That is not balance.

However....neither is you thinking you should be able to kill everything. In every MMO PvP has had classes that do not make good targets for stealth gankers, why should ESO be any different?
    Edited by pauld1_ESO on August 22, 2020 10:56PM
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build up a incap bow burst if that doesn’t work shade to reset the fight. That setup (grothdar, elf bane) is pretty hard counter to cloak blade playstyle. Hit and run is your best option.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on August 22, 2020 10:59PM
  • Zahirr
    Zahirr
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem like you do the whole usual nb thing of running around for 30 minutes in stealth and being annoying and bouncing in between shades. But, If you have 15k resistances? You are a glass canon. You are going to die. A lot. Like, a lot a lot. That's a really really low number as far as resistances go. You take into account major fracture (or whatever the sorcery one is called), champion points, or even passives from light armor, and your damage mitigation from armor, goes down to 0.

But I really don't get what you're upset about. Are you angry at Grothdar? because even I'll admit that that's a pretty good and popular set. I can see where it'd be good against nightblades. But you're moaning on and on about dragonknight. Fossilize and Talons? Run immovability, because those skills are really really expensive and do no damage at all. Immovability pot, and you're making two of their skills useless. Breath and Claw? if you're getting killed by breath and claw, it should tell you that your build is way, WAY too squishy to be brawling with someone. Because those skills are some of the lowest dps in the game. Or maybe the 5 damage a tick dot from Volatile armor is killing you?

I mean, if you came here and where like "My 30k resist, 30k health nb build is getting pounded by magdk", then I'd take you seriously. But you're running a full damage build, on a full damage class, and wondering why you lose to someone that isn't doing exactly the same thing?

You're gunna have a rough time when you meet a necromancer who uses spirit, mortal coil, and passives to have 50% mitigation, on top of champion points and armor.
  • jirkasl
    jirkasl
    ✭✭
    Well, u have right. With stamina NB you cant kill experienced player on MagDK specialy with vampire, but you are assasin , juts pick another potatos for kill and play around Dk. YOu can dodge and avoid all day long.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl....so your idea of balance is you should be able to destroy everything with your NB? Are you serious right now?

Balance in any PvP is when you sacrifice dps for survivability or vice versa. I see far too much crap in this PvP where people have builds with both, you do little damage to them but they can kill you in seconds. That is not balance.

However....neither is you thinking you should be able to kill everything. In every MMO PvP has had classes that do not make good targets for stealth gankers, why should ESO be any different?

Dont remember saying that i should be able to. Please dont strawman my arguement here.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zahirr wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like you do the whole usual nb thing of running around for 30 minutes in stealth and being annoying and bouncing in between shades. But, If you have 15k resistances? You are a glass canon. You are going to die. A lot. Like, a lot a lot. That's a really really low number as far as resistances go. You take into account major fracture (or whatever the sorcery one is called), champion points, or even passives from light armor, and your damage mitigation from armor, goes down to 0.

But I really don't get what you're upset about. Are you angry at Grothdar? because even I'll admit that that's a pretty good and popular set. I can see where it'd be good against nightblades. But you're moaning on and on about dragonknight. Fossilize and Talons? Run immovability, because those skills are really really expensive and do no damage at all. Immovability pot, and you're making two of their skills useless. Breath and Claw? if you're getting killed by breath and claw, it should tell you that your build is way, WAY too squishy to be brawling with someone. Because those skills are some of the lowest dps in the game. Or maybe the 5 damage a tick dot from Volatile armor is killing you?

I mean, if you came here and where like "My 30k resist, 30k health nb build is getting pounded by magdk", then I'd take you seriously. But you're running a full damage build, on a full damage class, and wondering why you lose to someone that isn't doing exactly the same thing?

You're gunna have a rough time when you meet a necromancer who uses spirit, mortal coil, and passives to have 50% mitigation, on top of champion points and armor.

15k resists is about as tanky as they come man in medium armor without being a *yawn* blade, idk what to tell you. Im not angry at grothdar. Im not super happy with the elf bane scaling of the aoe damage and dots they got tbh. Not really a great counter to talons fossilize leap and grothdar all stacking, unless i play the shade game for 10 minutes. Immobablity is nice and all but gotta remember it only lasts like 15 seconds. They do do damage with elf bane, and against a nightblade haha. Its really not too squishy since i can literally kill any other class with good players lmao. Please read some of the other posts to actually understand my arguement here.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jirkasl wrote: »
    Well, u have right. With stamina NB you cant kill experienced player on MagDK specialy with vampire, but you are assasin , juts pick another potatos for kill and play around Dk. YOu can dodge and avoid all day long.

I shouldnt have to play around another player simply because of their class
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Dont remember saying that i should be able to. Please dont strawman my arguement here.

I literally said you are not supposed to be able to kill every build.....you literally argued against that point and said I was defending imbalance. So what part of this conversation has you not thinking you should be able to kill a magdk? In the very next post I quote you saying it. No one is straw-manning your argument, you have made it clear you think you should be able to kill every other class with your NB.
    Edited by pauld1_ESO on August 24, 2020 9:19PM
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

rofl....but I am straw-manning? You are literally saying you should be able to kill every class.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rofl....but I am straw-manning? You are literally saying you should be able to kill every class.

If i outplay them yea. Not saying i should dunk on everyone regardless of skill and builds ("everyone")
    Edited by erio on August 24, 2020 9:41PM
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I literally said you are not supposed to be able to kill every build.....you literally argued against that point and said I was defending imbalance. So what part of this conversation has you not thinking you should be able to kill a magdk? In the very next post I quote you saying it. No one is straw-manning your argument, you have made it clear you think you should be able to kill every other class with your NB.

It shouldnt be about builds, it should be about skill.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So that MagDK had more skill than you....and he's deleting you. So what?
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So that MagDK had more skill than you....and he's deleting you. So what?

Not really.
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    magdk is better than melee nb , case closed. balance? nah idk what we are doing here.
    you cant l2p with melee stamblade vs magdk period.
    bring best nb and best magdk, magdk will win most of the time.
    Edited by evoniee on August 25, 2020 4:20AM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    evoniee wrote: »
    magdk is better than melee nb , case closed. balance? nah idk what we are doing here.

That's kind of how rock, paper, scissors works.
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    14k resists is a bit low to be honest, most people are running in cyro with 5-8k+ pen... magdk's usually have 22k+ resists, unfortunately running only 14k resists will put u at a disadvantage
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive my lack of experience, but can't you just use Cleanse against a dot build?

I know it requires a precious skill slot, but it seems like almost every class has dots and debuffs.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have 14 k resistances...
    Maybe invest in a bit of defences like most classes have too?
    I have to build too survive nb burst on most of my classes.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on August 25, 2020 5:14PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah 14k is what my Bowgankblade runs around with. I can't imagine what brawler build runs around with only 14k. Basically if someone sneezes on me and I stand there and do nothing, I'm dead. Gotta dodge roll then pop that cloak keybind and reset the fight ya know?
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    evoniee wrote: »

That's kind of how rock, paper, scissors works.

literally not rock paper scissors though
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

14k unbuffed ye