The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you still play if ESO went Monthly Subscription

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I've maintained a continuous subscription since launch (and currently I'm subbed on 3 accounts), so obviously I'd still play if it went back to being sub-only.

Having said that, I think it would be a bad move for the game. The current model (buy to play with an optional subscription and a crown store that you can completely ignore if you want to) is much better for ensuring a healthy population, and without a healthy population an MMO inevitably dies.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Options
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh wait. eso now not need Sub to play? :o
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering where the topic "Would you still play if ESO went free to play?" is?
    Edited by Cadbury on August 8, 2020 9:38PM
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'd play it no matter what, but as it is I'm totally fine with my ESO+.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
    Options
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I strongly disagree with the devs way too often when it comes to how they're conducting this thing, why exactly would I give them more money?
    Options
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Absolutely not.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
    Options
  • RavenRoxie
    RavenRoxie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (no reason for this but it seems to upset people not to include other because....reasons) :)
    Once you have played for so many years, have tons of items and very little space to put things it's almost impossible to play the game, fully, happily, without ESO+ which I personally find to be ROOD AF. (I have max inventory space, max bank space, and all the chests available in the game. The Mat bag is a HUGE thing for end game players tho, not having that really kills the game for me + dying costumes and many other things) So, a required monthly subscription in it's place would feel like less of a slap in the face to me. But, a required monthy sub along with all the performance issues in Cyro and random loading screens throughout the game? Nah, id just go play WoW at that point if it was gonna be forced. :)
    Edited by RavenRoxie on August 9, 2020 2:38AM
    Phantogram DC | Wood Elf | Magicka Nightblade/ | DPS | 856cp
    False Paradox | AD | Wood Elf | Non Combative Nightblade | Crafter | 856cp
    @RoxieParadoxx | Twitch | Twitter
    Options
  • AndrewQ84
    AndrewQ84
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I only play it with a sub. I have never not played it without. From release until now. So it won't change for me.
    Sa'hira of the Shadows, DC Nightblade and ruins explorer extraordinaire.

"May your day be awesome and full of Bacon!!!"

- Me
    Options
  • madarame_77
    madarame_77
    ✭✭✭
    Other (no reason for this but it seems to upset people not to include other because....reasons) :)
    I have all the chapters and dlcs, so why on earth would I have to pay for access to these again?
    Edited by madarame_77 on August 9, 2020 6:26AM
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    That's how it should have stayed
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Paying for frustration, lol no...
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Imagine thinking that a sub means no cash shop. *looks at FFXIV*

Again my friend. This is a hypothetical fun question. No need to take it so serious. I still love you though

So, hypothetically, what would your scenario do with the Crowns you get every month from the sub?

Hypothetically there’s no crown store anymore so there’s no crowns.

Hypothetically they could replace the crowns with a furnishings bag. That could well be a popular move, and even convert some of those who would otherwise walk away from a forced subscription.
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    WeerW3ir wrote: »
    oh wait. eso now not need Sub to play? :o

Only if you're not as farmer/hoarder/crafter
    :wink:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Tandor wrote: »
    Davor wrote: »
    For me, no, I would quit and never come back until the subscription is gone. I quit the PC version after only one month of playing since I didn't like the game and why pay to keep playing? I am old school that way. Buy game, and play forever.

Maybe I didn't come with the times now, but will not play a game with a FORCED subscription.

Funny enough I can't play ESO without ESO+. Zenimax got me hooked with the craft bag and other perks we get with it.

The way I see it, is Zenimax is actually trying to get my money by giving me something I want. I was not getting the enjoyment with a sub so that taught me never to play a game with a sub.

I tried a few games when it went free to play or buy to play, but will never ever buy a game where I need to buy to play and sub to play as well.

To me that is just ludicrous paying for a game we already bought and not getting anything else out of it.

That's a fair enough attitude, towards offline single-player games that the developers have moved on from.

But the developers haven't moved on from. That is why we have One Tamriel. The devs dropped the subcription fee because I believe many single players didn't want to keep paying. Have I misunderstood your meaning? Not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
    Options
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I am curious to the people who say they will pay a sub. If I am reading this correctly, if you pay the sub, you loose your craft bag, you loose all "DLC" ability, you loose the 1650 crowns, and all the other extras we get.

So why would you be willing to pay and loose what we are paying for now? I don't get it.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
    Options
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, because cyrodiil performance is bad, why pay for a game monthly which performs like a private server.
    Options
  • Altruz
    Altruz
    ✭✭✭
    No
    This subscribe system killed the game right at the beginning lol
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Tandor wrote: »
    For me, no, I would quit and never come back until the subscription is gone. I quit the PC version after only one month of playing since I didn't like the game and why pay to keep playing? I am old school that way. Buy game, and play forever.

Maybe I didn't come with the times now, but will not play a game with a FORCED subscription.

Funny enough I can't play ESO without ESO+. Zenimax got me hooked with the craft bag and other perks we get with it.

The way I see it, is Zenimax is actually trying to get my money by giving me something I want. I was not getting the enjoyment with a sub so that taught me never to play a game with a sub.

I tried a few games when it went free to play or buy to play, but will never ever buy a game where I need to buy to play and sub to play as well.

To me that is just ludicrous paying for a game we already bought and not getting anything else out of it.

That's a fair enough attitude, towards offline single-player games that the developers have moved on from.

But the developers haven't moved on from. That is why we have One Tamriel. The devs dropped the subcription fee because I believe many single players didn't want to keep paying. Have I misunderstood your meaning? Not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand.

I suspect you misunderstood my point. It's reasonable to pay once, and once only, for an offline single-player game that the developers are not maintaining or continuing to develop, but it is not reasonable to pay once to buy an online game and then expect to play for years on the developers' servers and have additional content worked on together with fixes and balancing changes etc with no further payments made. That was my point. Maybe I too misunderstood your point but you seemed to be suggesting that people who bought ESO have got nothing else out of it since their purchase, and I don't accept that at all.

I think the dropping of subscriptions was less due to single player gamers not wanting to keep paying, and more down to console players not wanting to pay an additional subscription for the game on top of the one they were already paying to their console provider. That's what all the speculation was about here and elsewhere at the time of the then impending console release.
    Options
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Whenever I feel truly compelled to play eso at all, I am subbed to eso+ without question. When the game is not engaging to me anymore and I step away from it, I unsub. That simple. There is literally never a situation where I say to myself "men, I'll unsub and still log in every other day or so".

Basically if I'm playing eso I'm subscribed. And if I need to unsub to the game it's because i am no longer actively playing the game. There Is no in between. I spend more money per day on the toilet paper I use to wipe my ass then I would on eso+.
    Options
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    A large portion of people already pay for ESO plus. What makes you think they'd change that model when the crown store makes them so much?

Entire countries banning clown crates?

They would do what numerous other companies have done to maintain continuous log ins and fuel microtransactions, they would incorporate a battle pass. Honestly epic with fortnite (whom I believe first executed this mtx method) was very clever. The battle pass method keeps people spending money and just removes the random factor with loot boxes and instead keeps the dangle in your face by showing what you can get at the later levels of said pass and slapping a massive grind on it while selling you the option to pay for levels. This is of course on top of the actual pass being a sold item whereas the free pass is filled with junk.

Frankly, eso is prime for this crap if I'm being honest. They would just convert the daily log in rewards into the free pass rewards, exp scrolls, small chunks of ap tel var and gold, research scrolls etc etc. Then the premium pass will have the real goods, crafting motif pages, outfits, fat exp and research scrolls, fat chunks of currencies, and near the end of the pass you would see the mounts and skins.

Then they would tie the extra spicey apex mounts (the lowest percentage drop rate ones we have now) behind their own mini passes for a not insignificant amount of cash. People think loot boxes are the bane of mtx fueled online games, but that was just one measure. This crap has already been figured out. The reason this is so sinister is that this was concocted explicitly to avoid any legislation interference.

Now excuse me, I need to shower.
    Edited by exeeter702 on August 9, 2020 5:13PM
    Options
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Paying a monthly fee to access the game means I won't play it at all. You have to buy the game, and the expansions, and then to have to pay to play it is ... just ott. I do have a subscription, but that is a choice, not mandatory. If it ever becomes not a choice, I'll find something else to play. Or catch up with the ironing.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
    Options
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    So I never stopped subscribing, I can be critical at times but compared to the other
    offal that other developers call mmorpg's this is the only one that gets my money I flirted a bit with FFXIV since the try it before you buy it model and I came back to ESO, FFXIV may have had a great community once, but it is long gone.

What's left are jerks, elitist, weebs, and perverts

ESO is far from perfect, but given it's competition or lack thereof, I renew my sub every six months and drop a two or three hundred on crowns when they show up on sale at 40% off.
    Options
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Subs should stay optional as it is now. Its like feedback to dev or player vote right. f.e. upcoming stupid changes to pvp with new no skill no brain LA spam proc set meta. I unsub since these changes will ruin pvp. When they start to use brain go back to math and start to make things balanced then I will sub again ..
    Options
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
    Options
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    On a yearly eso+ subscription so would.
    Options
  • Wolf81
    Wolf81
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I mean I use eso+ because I can't live without a crafting bag already they made that baseline and integrated the crowncrate rewards into game and events instead of gambling I would love this even more.
    Options
  • storm105
    storm105
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I have a feeling that this poll exist just so people can whine about crown crates.
    Options
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    storm105 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that this poll exist just so people can whine about crown crates.

I have a feeling this poll exists to see for the exact reason it says it exists. Do you need a hug, bud?
    Options
  • holden_caulfield
    holden_caulfield
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ofc yes. If can't understand what it takes to keep this game running and keeping expanding you are just or too young or living in some sort of utopian reality in which everything is bad but given
    Options
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a sub by any other name is still a sub, but no, I prefer having a craft bag for a single month and gather/decon like a madman.
    Other than that I can manage without it for a good few months after cancelling .

Old game = 'Free' to play
    Options