The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Survey Assistant PLEASE!

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling surveys would be sweet. I'D buy them

Yup. I'd be fully on board for that. But really, I'd just be happy to send some from one of my accounts to the other, depending.... 'cause there are NOT ENOUGH jewelry ones.
  • Rastapasta
    Rastapasta
    ✭✭✭
    this is part of the full time job the game became
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Counter suggestion.
    If you have more than one survey of the same [snip] place, pick up all of them together when you reach it. So if you have 5 surveys, the drops would automatically be X5, without the need to horse back & forth like a monkey on a tire swing.

[Edited for Censor Bypass]

That would be the perfect solutio and this is how surveys should always have worked. The need of having to ride around for the spot to reset or having to reload or visit an unowned house is what makes doing surveys so tedious. A couple of the Craglorn surveys and at least two Wrothgar surveys are in very annoying locations.
    Edited by Psiion on August 7, 2020 8:30PM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to agree that the survey report system can be profoundly stupid, especially when some of them are in the most preposterously out of the way places, in fact some are so out of the way that it has to be deliberate trolling on the part of the developers. No one places things in such perfectly daft locations accidentally 🤬🔥🔥🔥🔥

The way I get round it is as follows.
    1: Save all the surveys and wait until the end of the month 🤨

2: Ignore all the enchanting ones because 99% of the time that survey will not contain a Kuta, my surveys have only given me two in three years so if that’s why you’re doing the surveys don’t bother. Over time you will accumulate a large number of surveys for enchanting that are all at the same location, normally you will end up with so many surplus enchanting materials that you won’t need to use these things anyway but if you do simply maintain a stack of 10 or so in one place as a reservoir 🤔

3: You will notice that of the remaining surveys the ones that are in the locations that require the most amount of slogging around on foot tend to drop more often. By doing these all in one go at the end of the month you can cut the amount of farming time down by anywhere up to a factor of 10 🤓

4: Don’t expect gathering the surveys to be fun, because it’s not. Therefore I submit to you my wife’s suggestion. Namely that you make a character whose physique you like to stare at thus curing the problem of boredom 😇
    Edited by Integral1900 on August 7, 2020 9:00AM
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not one to cry "pay to win" in the least, but IMO this would definitely fall into that category. Because refining the raw mats surveys return results in a lot of gold tempers, which results in a lot of gold. None of the other assistants actively help you make gold.

I too was once in survey prison. I do writs on 12 characters a day, and I'd get so many surveys in only a few days that it was like a neverending pit of despair. Since I always need gold, I felt obligated to do them and it was miserable and awful.

The best decision I ever made was to start deleting surveys on sight. Sure, I don't make as much gold as I used to, since I have to buy my own mats to continue doing writs. But what I've lost in income I've made up for in enjoying myself again. And I make enough gold for what I need without killing myself picking up 18 surveys in the same location until I want to scream.

All this would do is to flood the market and drive down the price of crafting mats til it's harder instead of easier to make gold. IMO the people who want to expend effort to grind surveys deserve to make more gold. I used to be one of them and now I'm more than happy to let someone else profit off my laziness.
    Edited by bellatrixed on August 7, 2020 9:35AM
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better watch out for what you ask for, they might just stick a survey assistant in the Crown Crates :) .
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the game is actually supposed to be... Played... If you can't spare time to harvest your survey maps, you don't need them enough. The "there's an app for that" generation never cease to surprise. That there are actully add-on's for these on PC (and everything else you are supposed to search for), is bad enough - and it's actually pretty sad it's even allowed in the first place.

Now that's MY opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree with it. But I'm rather old and used to this thing, that I have to work for something in order to get it.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "You did the quest, now instead of a reward you get a time waster to fetch your reward yourself." This is how surveys feel to me, a chore. I have all of them stored in my bank, because they are too much of a hassle to do. And only do them when I am out of resources, which so far has only happened with jewelery crafting.

This is why I would love a merchant we could sell them to for 2/3rd of the resources the survey would give.

Also, "the game is meant to be played"??... I don't consider forcing players to do tasks after already doing dailies playing. I like to do the content I enjoy. Leveling alts, doing zones, dungeons, gearing up, etc. Doing the daily crafting quests already takes alot of time away each day, adding survey time wasters on top of that is stupid.

I want to actually play the game. I'm used to a certain level of grinding, but surveys aren't grinding. It is stacking a time waste upon an already daily time-waste. Reducing play time.

PS: If ZOS does come up with a survey bag or something like that, allow us to disable popping the surveys. As It would be a huge waste to pop them on non-main characters.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good idea but I think the return should be less than what you'd get if you went out and did them yourself. Maybe there was a hole in your assistant's sack and some good fell out along the way
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AnonomissX wrote: »

OP plays on pc, he can use the treasure map addon that marks the spot(s) on the map/minimap.

Problem is that OP, as many others, hoards the surveys... And it's well known that the will to collect them is inversely proportional to the amount that you have in bag/bank...
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • WaTeR-aBuSeR
    WaTeR-aBuSeR
    ✭✭✭✭
    definitely would love this or to be able to sell them. People argue if it's not worth your time then don't do them lol. It takes longer than 20 mins to do crafting writs on my 8 characters then you add in writs that are all over the place it's dumb. Also stacking them saves you more time because you can walk away then come right back to the spot. They do take up so much bank space it's ridiculous. They need to make it just the most recent zone of something. That would also increase sales of chapters.

Best way to save time in my experience is to do only the ones you really need the mats for and save enchanting for last since it gives the least amount of rewards in terms of gold.

Also, sell the raw mats and bulk buy the mats for dailies. You can sell them for more gold than the gold mats you get from using them at least on PC NA.
  • woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kosef wrote: »
    I don't spend much on crown store items, but I would MOST DEFINITELY pay for an assistant that brings me back my surveying items once per day, hell once per week...I don't care as long as I don't have to go farm it myself. We have a banker, merchant..hell we even have a stolen good merchant. PLEASE for the sake of keeping my sanity...let us get an assistant that gathers all of our survey mats.

Supported :)

I can do the surveys most of the time, add-ons and stacking helps of course, but I would certainly have use for an assistant.

5,000 Crowns -same as the banker and the merchant- would be a correct price IMHO.

B)
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    survey locations should be put on the players' maps. treasure chests too. zos is very slow on QoL updates.

an assistant just seems lazy though. maybe if they took a 35% cut like the smuggler.
  • Foxhearted
    Foxhearted
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Counter suggestion.
    If you have more than one survey of the same [snip] place, pick up all of them together when you reach it. So if you have 5 surveys, the drops would automatically be X5, without the need to horse back & forth like a monkey on a tire swing.

[Edited for Censor Bypass]

this. I don't mind doing surveys, but when I have like 25 for the same spot, I certainly won't do all of them...
    Edited by Psiion on August 7, 2020 8:31PM
  • LightningWitch
    LightningWitch
    ✭✭✭
    I don't spend much on crown store items, but I would MOST DEFINITELY pay for an assistant that brings me back my surveying items once per day, hell once per week...I don't care as long as I don't have to go farm it myself. We have a banker, merchant..hell we even have a stolen good merchant. PLEASE for the sake of keeping my sanity...let us get an assistant that gathers all of our survey mats.
    I would rather the "BOUND" be removed from surveys so I can sell them, rather than destroy them (excl jewelry).

It's a pretty damn shame there are people out there who can benefit from these, yet thanks to an idiotic decision to lock them, most are being destroyed.

Kind of like the free junk we get with the daily reward. What the hell am I going to do with all that chicken? I'd give it away, but alas.... *destroy*
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea, OP. I'd also support the ability to sell them to other players or to a vendor for half the materials. Collecting surveys is just a low-wage job.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People would def pay for it. So I can see ZOS taking it into consideration.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please. And another assistant that can be placed in the home that holds crafting writs.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to sell the Surveys to other players is the best idea in this thread.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice. I have hundreds of surveys piled up on my crafter. It's more of a chore having to Google where every location is for every number of every survey. It's not why I play the game.

For console users, it would be fair if zos added that for one skill point in each craft tree, survey locations are revealed on the map in the same way as we on PC have it with addons.

Or include it in one of the other craft skills.

I would never let an assistant do surveys for alchemy though, I want that corn flower...
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Being able to sell the Surveys to other players is the best idea in this thread.
    Not really. This would only allow the rich players to no longer have to farm for resources, they would simply buy a few surveys and be done with it. In other words, it would make rich players no longer have to play the game to be able to craft. Surveys should remain accountbound.

The only good solution I can see is to have a merchant(or bought assistant) which lets you exchange your surveys for 2/3rd their supplies of doing them yourself.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some times, I daydream about how lovely it would be to stuff my storage chests with excess furnishings I might want to use in other houses, but, instead, the chests remain forever crammed full of crafting surveys I will never have time to pursue.

Still impatiently awaiting the day we might finally receive value for these things. It's difficult to just throw them away, knowing your throwing a massive amount of gold away in doing so.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Not really. This would only allow the rich players to no longer have to farm for resources, they would simply buy a few surveys and be done with it. In other words, it would make rich players no longer have to play the game to be able to craft. Surveys should remain accountbound.

The only good solution I can see is to have a merchant(or bought assistant) which lets you exchange your surveys for 2/3rd their supplies of doing them yourself.

they can already buy materials, both raw and refined.
  • WaTeR-aBuSeR
    WaTeR-aBuSeR
    ✭✭✭✭

You don't have to be rich to not have to gather materials. Starting with prob 50k maybe less you could just buy the refined and do the crafting dailies everyday on multiple toons and it pays for itself. Sell the gold mats and purple mats you don't need to fund the purchase of more refined materials for the dailies. One month of this and you will have a good stockpile of mats. Even doing the rank 1 dailies pays very well.

The only gathering I do is once a month or so I go through surveys, but that is because I don't want to throw away money. But it does take up like 50 slots of bank space which is pretty dumb.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rich player don't need to buy them, they've already a ton of mat.
    I've only 6 char that do wrist and never had to do more than survey to have ton of material.

@OP : "I don't want to do it but I still want the reward"
    Yeahh, how about no ?

I agree with some people about QoL change, especially for console, treasure map and survey should have a filter in world map...
    Their is so many basic thing that should be in game for QoL but for some reason aren't :/
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would completely be OK with the survey assistant taking a 30% cut of the mats or hell even more. That would be the benefit of doing them yourself...you get more. I don't buy the idea of "the game is meant to be played" argument. I'm still playing the game. I play the game everyday. I however don't do surveys every day because it's a bore and takes a way from the time that could be best utilized doing something else..IMO. Which is why it would have to be an option to purchase the assistant for those that want to.
    Server: PC-NA

Vincent Jurard - Breton - DK
    Aronil Elsinwatch - Altmer - Templar
    Ulfgar Stormbringer - Nord - Sorc
    Ra'Jhera Mahrabi - Khajiit - NB
    Kur Zahir - Imperial - Necro
    Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Lives-By-Sword - Argonian - DK
    Sara Willowthorn - Bosmer - Templar
    Elsa Bjariksen - Nord - NB
    Soliril Elsinthar - Altmer - Sorc
    Khargol Ogdum - Orc - Warden
    Veros Sarvani - Dunmer - Necro
    Vedran The Toxic - Dunmer - DK
    Hafnar Ironbark - Nord Warden
    Low - Level: Arcturus The Loyal - Templar
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see ZOS ban map pins for surveys and watch the PC people lose their minds. Surveys can take a significant amount of time when you have to either have everything memorized or use the maps.

Edited by Mik195 on August 8, 2020 12:27AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still playing the game. I play the game everyday. I however don't do surveys every day because it's a bore and takes a way from the time that could be best utilized doing something else..IMO.

I play the game almost every day, too.

But I don't have a problem collecting my surveys because the mats are a priority for me.

Don't want to do surveys?

Totally fine.

However, don't ask for the game to be changed to suit your playstyle ... when other players are rewarded for their time when they prioritize getting surveys.

Mik195 wrote: »
    I'd like to see ZOS ban map pins for surveys and watch the PC people lose their minds. Surveys can take a significant amount of time when you have to either have everything memorized or use the maps.

This is your comment, @Mik195, not mine. ;)

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 7, 2020 6:16PM
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there was an assistant who would fetch them for you, i'd expect them to be 1 survey per week. The return would be very slow paced as to not force players into feeling like it is the better alternative than going out and doing it yourself.

The benefit would be for people like myself who find no enjoyment in hunting them down.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hell we even have a stolen good merchant.

Wait, what?