The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Survey Assistant PLEASE!

Kosef
Kosef
✭✭✭✭
I don't spend much on crown store items, but I would MOST DEFINITELY pay for an assistant that brings me back my surveying items once per day, hell once per week...I don't care as long as I don't have to go farm it myself. We have a banker, merchant..hell we even have a stolen good merchant. PLEASE for the sake of keeping my sanity...let us get an assistant that gathers all of our survey mats.
Server: PC-NA

Vincent Jurard - Breton - DK
Aronil Elsinwatch - Altmer - Templar
Ulfgar Stormbringer - Nord - Sorc
Ra'Jhera Mahrabi - Khajiit - NB
Kur Zahir - Imperial - Necro
Khur - Redguard - Warden
Lives-By-Sword - Argonian - DK
Sara Willowthorn - Bosmer - Templar
Elsa Bjariksen - Nord - NB
Soliril Elsinthar - Altmer - Sorc
Khargol Ogdum - Orc - Warden
Veros Sarvani - Dunmer - Necro
Vedran The Toxic - Dunmer - DK
Hafnar Ironbark - Nord Warden
Low - Level: Arcturus The Loyal - Templar
Guild:
[Ninja Squirrels]
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kosef wrote: »
    I don't spend much on crown store items, but I would MOST DEFINITELY pay for an assistant that brings me back my surveying items once per day, hell once per week...I don't care as long as I don't have to go farm it myself. We have a banker, merchant..hell we even have a stolen good merchant. PLEASE for the sake of keeping my sanity...let us get an assistant that gathers all of our survey mats.

In Swtor, that is sort of how their crafting works. You send your companions out to do it.

I wouldn't mind an assistance that you can turn in your survey maps to, and 1 week later they return with the goods.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would happen if you spent 20 minutes a day doing surveys after writs, @Kosef?

That way you don't run into an issue with them stacking up in inventory.

In other words, you're the one creating your own insanity ... not the game.

If you can't be bothered for 20 minutes a day, then it's likely you don't need the materials provided by the surveys anyway (in which case they can just be destroyed to free up inventory).

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 6, 2020 7:02PM
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would happen if you spent 20 minutes a day doing surveys after writs, @Kosef?

If you can't be bothered for 20 minutes a day, then it's likely you don't need the materials provided by the surveys (in which case they can just be destroyed).

different people enjoy doing different things. No matter their value. I do not enjoy doing surveys or treasure maps. They do not spark joy in my day. But I sure do need those materials. Instead, I just do without, and make due with the scraps I get from Hirlings, and Deconstruction. But if there was an assistant who did it for me, and sent more additional mail with those materials, i'd pay for that.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »
    I do not enjoy doing surveys or treasure maps. They do not spark joy in my day.

* shrugs *

You choosing not to do surveys or treasure maps isn't anyone else's problem ... especially not ZOS's.

When a player decides on any MMO-themed game, they already know there's a certain amount of grind included before they even click "play".

If the materials were that important you'd do the surveys.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 6, 2020 7:10PM
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can't be bothered for 20 minutes a day, then it's likely you don't need the materials provided by the surveys anyway (in which case they can just be destroyed to free up inventory).

Some people have time to only do the writs right before work. That can go for weeks or more at a time, when there is time to play and clear them out, it can take well over 20 minutes, that's a large chunk of game time, especially for console users. I don't see why this is an issue to request a time saver, QoL feature.
    You're basically telling people not to play a game because they don't have all that time to play it every single day. At this point there should be something like a trade-in NPC for these.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making it easier for you to Mass Produce does not make for a better game. Or, Economy.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're basically telling people not to play a game because they don't have all that time to play it every single day.

Nope.

Being on limited time means prioritizing your daily in-game activities.

If that means doing surveys instead of writs, that is certainly the player's decision.

"Surveys are not fun for me" is not a good enough reason for ZOS to spend developer time on a Survey Assistant.
  • Bignupie1911
    Bignupie1911
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this would be good, please add this ZOS. Throws money at screen...
  • rotten333
    rotten333
    ✭✭
    The addon I had Treasure hunter was fine and quick except dependencies broke over and over. Now they won't work at all even after scrapping the whole enchilada and reinstalling. They say Minion manages thinks like this, but that hasn't been my experience in this case. My answer is to destroy all surveys and sell the treasure ones.

If you can get this to work use it. It lays icons on the map and mini map and you can locate surveys while on the way somewhere without delay.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Would love for a merchant to sell them to, for 2/3rd of the items you would get from actually doing the survey yourself.
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭

To that same argument...why don't people who don't want to venture to the merchant or the bank, just stay in town and never leave. Why even do dungeons or quest? If they can make assistants to make one aspect of the game easier, why not the other? It's a convenience request....hence the reason I said cost would be crowns. Same as the other assistants except for the fence one.

Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To that same argument...why don't people who don't want to venture to the merchant or the bank, just stay in town and never leave. Why even do dungeons or quest? If they can make assistants to make one aspect of the game easier, why not the other? It's a convenience request....hence the reason I said cost would be crowns. Same as the other assistants except for the fence one.

Like, an assistant that brings you one survey a day, but keeps a 30% commission, like the Fence that nobody uses?
    The Moot Councillor
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

Like, an assistant that brings you one survey a day, but keeps a 30% commission, like the Fence that nobody uses?

I'd use an assistant that took 30% of my survey mats if it meant I didn't have to do them. The point being is that there are assistants in place to make aspects of the game less tedious. So it's not a far fetched idea to want to have another aspect of the game benefit from the same process. It may not be for everyone..and that is fine. You are more than welcome to go out and farm your mats. But for those of us that would want to purchase such a convenience, it should be an option. Just like it's an option for banking and selling items.

Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • Hamish999
    Hamish999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are already assistants that bring you free mats at regular intervals, they're called Hirelings.
    Ok they don't do the surveys you get from writs for you, but they give you a steady stream of mats for very little cost (skill points).
    Edited by Hamish999 on August 6, 2020 8:52PM
    PC-EU
    Do'Zahra - Khajiit - StamDK - AD
    Narese Telvanni - Dunmer - Petsorc - EP
    Anastasie Chastain - Breton - Magplar - DC
    Gashnakh the Lusty - Orc - Stamsorc - AD
    Stands-In-Stoopid - Argonian - Warden Tank - AD
    Talia al-Morwha - Redguard - Stamden - AD
    Makes-Fier-Wrong - Argonian - Stamblade - AD
    Busty-Argonian-Maid - Argonian - Templar Healer - AD
    Alaru Telvanni - Dunmer - Stamplar - AD
    Ko'Raehsi - Khajiit - Magsorc - AD
    Torhild Rock-Chucker - Nord - StamDK - AD
    Drusilla Larouche - Breton - MagDK - AD
    Ko'Khanni - Khajiit - Magden - AD
    Ilithyia Ectorius - Imperial - DK Tank -AD

Keyboard and mouse FTW!
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be nice. I have hundreds of surveys piled up on my crafter. It's more of a chore having to Google where every location is for every number of every survey. It's not why I play the game.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people have time to only do the writs right before work. That can go for weeks or more at a time, when there is time to play and clear them out, it can take well over 20 minutes, that's a large chunk of game time, especially for console users. I don't see why this is an issue to request a time saver, QoL feature.
    You're basically telling people not to play a game because they don't have all that time to play it every single day. At this point there should be something like a trade-in NPC for these.

I look at it people want the reward without the effort. Would be a time saver for people leveling characters to just send an NPC through the dungeon for them instead of queuing for a random run. Not everybody has time to wait around for a group to form so they miss out on the XP. Same thing really.

If people do not like doing the surveys they should simply not do them. They can purchase the materials they need. Almost every activity in the game produces gold that can be used to purchase materials. Selling one motif easily gains enough gold to match more than a weeks worth of surveys unless you are running writs on multiple characters.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What next, a quest assistant? A keep assistant? How about an assistant that could do battlegrounds for the player?

We all have a choice as to which parts of the game we want to play. If you don't like doing surveys, and/or you don't feel that the rewards warrant the time spent doing them, just leave them alone.
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or.....use an assistant like you do for banking/selling. Should we also say that this is a part of the game that shouldn't haven been put in? How can you be against something like a survey assistant....but be cool about a merchant/banking assistant. Not to mention that merchants/bankers are in literally just about every town. Hell they even have wandering merchants. So again, where is the argument here. This is simply an idea for people that don't mind paying for it. Not a hard concept to understand.

Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At the least give us a survey bag to store them in. They unfortunately won't do that though.

Surveys are meant to clutter up your inventory and force you to do them to have space. They're meant to be the time sink that they are. Wasting time, padding out the active player hours. Over and over and over, day in, day out.

But it would be a nice pipe dream...
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or.....use an assistant like you do for banking/selling. Should we also say that this is a part of the game that shouldn't haven been put in? How can you be against something like a survey assistant....but be cool about a merchant/banking assistant. Not to mention that merchants/bankers are in literally just about every town. Hell they even have wandering merchants. So again, where is the argument here. This is simply an idea for people that don't mind paying for it. Not a hard concept to understand.

Looking at it that way your assistant could hold the surveys for you until you want to do them but would have limited space. Your banker can already do that so all this would net you is freeing up a bit of inventory space. Your merchants and bankers are for inventory management not game play. The banker doesn't go out and find gold for you. The merchant doesn't run around town looting containers for you then convert them over to gold.
    The surveys are what they are because part of a MMO's survival is players repeating content. Having an NPC do surveys is counter intuitive to why surveys are in the game.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AnonomissX
    AnonomissX
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ebonheart Pact, Nord Templar/healer on NA Xbox server. My main toon WAS a tall and foxy redhead - now she has been gamma-irradiated and has green skin and black hair. 3 other characters I only use for writs. Can't be bothered to create multiple toons - EXCEPT now my WW is getting spooled up for Cyrodiil - Blood For The Pact! IRL cranky sometimes redhead chick at large in Las Vegas, NV
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love doing surveys (with the Lost Treasure addon of course - it was painful for the few weeks before I went looking for an addon....); doesn't matter where I'm off to, when I pull up the map and there's a big red X on it, that's where I go before turning in Master Writs, or quests, or whatever.

It wouldn't bother me if there was an assistant, though I personally wouldn't use it.
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

Looking at it that way your assistant could hold the surveys for you until you want to do them but would have limited space. Your banker can already do that so all this would net you is freeing up a bit of inventory space. Your merchants and bankers are for inventory management not game play. The banker doesn't go out and find gold for you. The merchant doesn't run around town looting containers for you then convert them over to gold.
    The surveys are what they are because part of a MMO's survival is players repeating content. Having an NPC do surveys is counter intuitive to why surveys are in the game.

I can understand it from that perspective. I still think that it's not that big of a deal as there will still be plenty of players not willing to shell out the 5k+ crowns something like this would no doubt cost.

Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the least give us a survey bag to store them in. They unfortunately won't do that though.

Surveys are meant to clutter up your inventory and force you to do them to have space. They're meant to be the time sink that they are. Wasting time, padding out the active player hours. Over and over and over, day in, day out.

But it would be a nice pipe dream...

A survey bag, or surveys going into our craft bags, would be grand.
    At least they stack now, I remember when they didn’t, and I had to keep numerous unbankable writ reward containers in my inventory if I got multiples between survey runs. *shudders* that was awful
    Now if only treasure maps would stack too
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's a little too much. Surveys are supposed to be a chore for reward thing much like crafting writs are. I know there are crafting addons but those too are cheats. I know you probably think it's a great idea but I don't think it will ever happen. It would have to be done through an addon
  • jhall03
    jhall03
    ✭✭✭
    Or let us sell them.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer all my writs be in the same zone as they used to be. It was not a bright idea to spread them out across many zones. Outside of that, surveys are not that big of a deal. If they are a big deal for someone, do fewer writs.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counter suggestion.
    If you have more than one survey of the same [snip] place, pick up all of them together when you reach it. So if you have 5 surveys, the drops would automatically be X5, without the need to horse back & forth like a monkey on a tire swing.

[Edited for Censor Bypass]
    Edited by Psiion on August 7, 2020 8:29PM
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling surveys would be sweet. I'D buy them
  • Superflytenorguy
    If you're doing surveys without the add-on i feel bad for you. Also, let the surveys stack up. If you have multiples, you only have to run in any direction for 10 seconds and turn around to collect it again!