The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Want to level a new toon for PVP AOE tests. Any class/build suggestions?

Athyrium93
Athyrium93
✭✭✭✭
I'm admittedly not much of a PVPer but when I've went to Cyrodiil I've always had a lot of fun and had an over all really positive experience, with the upcoming AOE tests I really want to participate, I'm curious to see the changes and trying to keep an open mind.
I want to start doing more PVP and to do that I think I need to start a new character specifically built for PVP, but honestly have no idea where to start, especially with the changes the AOE testing will have. I would be super grateful if some more experienced PVPers could point me in the right direction.
My PVE main is a Templar Healer, and I really like the play style but basically every skill I use is considered an AOE for the purposes of the test, so while I'll take her to Cyrodiil to try, I don't think it will be a fun time, hence why I want to start a new character while I still have time to get them leveled and geared.
I'm open to any class and any build, but I'm a noob when it comes to PVP so having some extra survivability might be a good thing.
(I'll look up builds and such, but I'd really appreciate having a direction to start looking in)

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Athyrium93 wrote: »
    but basically every skill I use is considered an AOE for the purposes of the test, so while I'll take her to Cyrodiil to try, I don't think it will be a fun time

But that's part of the test too.

If you try to circumvent the test with less aoe or a special build you are skewing the results by bringing less aoe than might "normally" happen.

Part of the reason for a LIVE server test is to look at organic live results.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 31, 2020 2:52AM
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    but basically every skill I use is considered an AOE for the purposes of the test, so while I'll take her to Cyrodiil to try, I don't think it will be a fun time

If you try to circumvent the test with less aoe or a special build you are skewing the results by bringing less aoe than might "normally" happen.

I'm going to take my Templar, and test it with her, but she's not made for PVP, she's a high crit PVE healer who is nothing but a heal bot in Cyrodiil. I want to test a character that does something other than incidental AOE damage as well.

I've been planning to make a character for PVP at some point anyway, the testing just gives me an excuse to make one now instead of in six months. I don't even mind making a character that still uses AOE, but it would be nice to have one that isn't just a target dummy that gives AP.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Creating a build around week-long test is futile. Pick a class you enjoy, or are most familiar with. That one you will have the best time with. Some people try several playstyles until they hit the one that fits them.
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    @VaranisArano
    I'm one of the people that have been compiling a list of effected skills, both with Woosters testing and my own, as well as edits and additions from a few other players. Because of some discrepancies in results on world and guild skills I don't have them listed in the live version of the document, but all class and weapon skills are as accurate as they could be at this stage. It can be seen here and is open for edits.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oLi-c3U3eWbjwUH26_8Uq0Hyb8cFJf-_vhJ7q6T0oL8/edit?usp=sharing

That knowledge doesn't help me pick what to play though, hence why I asked for advice form the community. If I just wanted a build that wouldn't be effected I'd roll a Nightblade and follow one of the current gankblade builds but that isn't helpful to the testing, and if I wanted to be a potato I would use my PVE Templar Healer who will have exactly ONE non-ultimate skill not on cool down and that one skill does exactly ZERO damage.

@Karm1cOne
    I have a multiple max level characters for PVE, all of different classes and enjoy each for different reasons, but default to my Templar Healer because she is the most useful in PVE and gets pretty much instant dungeon queues. That doesn't help in PVP. I want to explore a new class/build and what better time to do it than when I can help a game I love and get extra AP? Especially when it only takes a weekend or two to hit max level when you've got a bank full of xp scrolls, and a master crafter to make whatever gear you want?

Of the classes I've played (all of them) I liked all of them for different reasons, same with playstyles, I'm completely open to suggestions for PVP, Mag or Stam, any class, any race, doesn't really matter, the only opinion I really have on it is that Templars are completely gutted and I can experience that on my main, and that Nightblades don't really seem effected so they don't seem all that useful to test.

• Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have no preferences, its hard to make recommendations. And its hard to say what is best next patch, as so much is likely to change in ways we players can't predict. Given its so easy to level a toon, start with templar and try it out. If you don't like the playstyle try another.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for Magicka DK.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

... but it would be nice to have one that isn't just a target dummy that gives AP.

And if it turns out that way, that's valid feedback for ZOS.
    Will it suck? Yes. But your feedback to ZOS won't be merely a thought experiment. It'll be live gameplay experience and that counts more.

If everyone started changing what they bring into the test, this is what's going to happen:

1. Player: "This test is going to cripple AOEs and groups. I'm gonna go solo tanky."
    2. ZOS: "Hmm... not a lot of groups or AOEs. Maybe that's not the problem."
    3. Player: "Test is over? I'll pull out my Templar again!"
    4. ZOS: "WTF? Where's this performance issue coming from again?"
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 31, 2020 5:43PM
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭

... but it would be nice to have one that isn't just a target dummy that gives AP.

And if it turns out that way, that's valid feedback for ZOS.
    Will it suck? Yes. But your feedback to ZOS won't be merely a thought experiment. It'll be live gameplay experience and that counts more.

If everyone started changing what they bring into the test, this is what's going to happen:

1. Player: "This test is going to cripple AOEs and groups. I'm gonna go solo tanky."
    2. ZOS: "Hmm... not a lot of groups or AOEs. Maybe that's not the problem."
    3. Player: "Test is over? I'll pull out my Templar again!"
    4. ZOS: "WTF? Where's this performance issue coming from again?"

So what your saying is solo tanky is the way to go? lol, but seriously how is taking a character built for PVE, that was NEVER meant to be part of PVP, that has spent maybe 5 hours total in Cyrodiil out of the thousands of hours I've played on her, with zero skills that offer anything more than incidental damage, going to be good for testing?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm legitimately asking what I, as a PVE player can do to participate in the testing. I have been meaning to start a character built for PVP for a while now, because the very limited amount of time I've spent in Cyrodiil has been positive. I want to try some more PVP because the little I did was fun, the testing is just giving me an excuse to do it now because whatever is decided will eventually also effect PVE.

It doesn't matter what I play, I will still be a bumbling noob when it comes to PVP, but it might be slightly more fun on a character that has half a chance (not saying my skill as a player will give me half a chance, because it probably won't) but I'd rather not be handicapped by my build as well as my non-existent skill. Like I previously said, if I wanted to just farm AP and not test I'd play a Nightblade, but I want to actually test the changes, I'd just rather not do it on my poor Templar healer who is a potato for anything except healing and buffing in PVE group content. I don't want to have to change her gear, cp, skills, mundus, and play style just to go get used as an AP filled test dummy, I have the time and XP scrolls to level a new character for that (and want to) I was just hoping to get some general info from the community on what is fun to play.......

Telling me to just play my PVE character just makes me not want to bother even going
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one really knows what play style you enjoy, makes it hard to suggest anything.

You say your main is a Templar healer, so I assume you enjoy healing.

My vote goes to petsorc, they're good PvP healers who can mix in some burst damage. Matriarch, with regeneration and illustrious healing on the back bar, force pulse and frags on the front bar, rest of the build is up to you.

Edit: you'll want shields on there somewhere too. Conjured ward at least, I like to double bar shields on my sorcerers. My petsorc uses conjured ward and ward ally, my nonpet uses the light armor shield instead of ward ally. Being new to PvP you're probably better off with the light armor shield if you double bar, it's stronger. But definitely at least conjured ward.
    Edited by Wandering_Immigrant on August 1, 2020 12:33PM