The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

As a Guild Master, how do I handle this

Anony_Mouse
Anony_Mouse
✭✭✭✭
I run a guild of around 100 members. Today I have received the following message on Discord, from one guildie, regarding another.

We are a PvP guild, and the referenced player is active in our guild almost daily, joins our voice channel whenever they come on runs with us. I have never personally experienced anything of the nature described in the below message. Neither within the guild chat, zone chat, voice chat or on our discord server.

Is it up to me as the GM to police the members based on political views? Or is this something that goes against ToS for ZOS? I had a look, but it was not 100% clear to me on the ToS whether this is a reportable issue?

I would appreciate some advise, on how to handle this within the guild. Should I refer him to the ToS and suggest he reports the player, or what would be the best approach?

From a behavioural point of view, we have had no issues with the referenced player.

4wuuf64srlov.png
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best suggestion is that you get input from all sides before making a decision, @Anony_Mouse.

Which would include input from the referenced player ... as well as any screenshots the accuser can provide.

If the referenced player is in good standing, and the accuser can not provide any zone chat screenshots of the alleged activity, then it might be best to ask the accuser to report the player in-game themselves per the ToS.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Anony_Mouse

We recommend opening a ticket with customer support to report this player and provide what information and details you have.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Anony_Mouse
    Anony_Mouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Anony_Mouse

We recommend opening a ticket with customer support to report this player and provide what information and details you have.

Thank you for getting back to me @ZOS_BillE. Do you mean I report him for alleged behaviour, as I have witnessed none of it first hand.

Or do I ask the guild member who messaged me to report him?

Like mentioned, we have seen none of the PKK sympathising within the guild or in zonechat while on guild runs. Currently I have just one member's word on this matter.

Edit; one of my officers has already opened a ticket with support to ask for similar advise. Not to report him at this stage.
    Edited by Anony_Mouse on July 27, 2020 5:58PM
  • Anony_Mouse
    Anony_Mouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    My best suggestion is that you get input from all sides before making a decision, @Anony_Mouse.

Which would include input from the referenced player ... as well as any screenshots the accuser can provide.

If the referenced player is in good standing, and the accuser can not provide any zone chat screenshots of the alleged activity, then it might be best to ask the accuser to report the player in-game themselves per the ToS.

I have ask the member who messaged me to report the player if/when they observe inappropriate or harassing behaviour. At this stage neither myself nor any of my officers have witnessed the alleged behaviour.

So the question to ZoS remains, is it my task as a Guild Master to police such matters?
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Anony_Mouse

Thank you for getting back to me @ZOS_BillE. Do you mean I report him for alleged behaviour, as I have witnessed none of it first hand.

Or do I ask the guild member who messaged me to report him?

Like mentioned, we have seen none of the PKK sympathising within the guild or in zonechat while on guild runs. Currently I have just one member's word on this matter.

Tell the member who messaged you that you want to make the right decision and are very much interested in dealing with the issue, but that you need some screenshots/proof in order to do that. Asking for proof doesn't have to be dismissive/casting doubt at all, it can be a matter of 'let's build a case about this so we can be efficient in handling it'. Ask them to keep an eye out and document any development related to this from now on.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Anony_Mouse politics are always a sticky subject, if it happens in your discord its a simple fix, but in game is a different thing all together, in regards to the ToS if the referenced player is targeting specific nationalities then it could be seen as racial attacking, some of the accusations made in your screen shot are very serious and in some countries probably illegal, i would insist on hard evidence by way of screen shots or video of the chat, i would send this to ZoS for them to make the final decision. i sympathise with you as a fellow GM about having to take such action against a member of long good standing, again evidence is the key, also look into whether or not the accuser has any personal issue with the accused and if this is just a malicious complaint.
    i wish you luck
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, I'd say anyone with "either me or them leaves" attitude should leave no matter how justified are their complaints.
    Secondly, the one having trouble with the other player should report them, because how can you report something you've been only told about?
    And lastly, ask them for proof and ask another player about it before you do anything.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a reason why we have a Ban on Political and Religious speech in our Guild.

Just causes too many problems.

If no one is allowed to discuss politics, this becomes easy to enforce without "taking sides"
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Anony_Mouse
    Anony_Mouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    There is a reason why we have a Ban on Political and Religious speech in our Guild.

Just causes too many problems.

If no one is allowed to discuss politics, this becomes easy to enforce without "taking sides"

yes we have that too, and like I said - nothing has been discussed in the guild, during our runs or even on the discord server. It is one guy's word I have at this stage.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have ask the member who messaged me to report the player if/when they observe inappropriate or harassing behaviour. At this stage neither myself nor any of my officers have witnessed the alleged behaviour.

So the question to ZoS remains, is it my task as a Guild Master to police such matters?

as GM's we are responsible for alot of things within our guilds, we can guide our members to act within the ToS but ultimately it's their decision, if its a clear breach of ToS then its a simple decision to make, I as a GM will always report a member if i have proof of breaking ToS as well as removing that player from the guild, but i will always insist on hard proof and listen to both sides just incase it's a miss understanding, is it our job to police political views? no it is not that would be censorship, but when those views harm/upset or otherwise impact on another players enjoyment of the game then we must step in.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can’t see how this matter should have any bearing on the guild, as long as they keep their disagreement out of guild forums and/or chat. Surely, it’s not the responsibility of a guild leader to have to intercede in individual players’ private political disputes, unless they are somehow disrupting the guild (and there is proof of such a disruption). This is a Turkish political issue. There are different opinions, depending on the source, as to whether the YPG, which was a US ally against ISIS in Syria, is indeed a part of the PKK, but that is what the current party in power in Turkey asserts).