The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Frost Staff heavy attack speed increase via passive

techprince
techprince
✭✭✭✭✭
Would you like Frost Staff to have its heavy attack speed increased which flame staff once had?
Edited by techprince on July 26, 2020 9:28PM

Frost Staff heavy attack speed increase via passive 61 votes

Yes
78%
sonwon.1_ESOColoniaCroisantwild_kmacdb16_ESOObsidian3kojouvalidifyedneb18_ESOJodynnmitebaKingShockerMettaricanaCinbriTankHealz2015VevvevCaptainVenomThe_Old_GoatPureEnvelope35UrbanMonktechprinceFirstmepSilverIce58 48 votes
No
21%
adilazimdegilxSahidomInaMoonlightRatzkifalSylosibuttafacemikemaconAWinterWolfcolossalvoidsArgonianwerecroc212FatherDelveFawn4287Athan1 13 votes
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd rather them just make Ice staff for dps again like it should be, and introduce a new staff (like Alteration) that's actually designed for tanking.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Its not just slow but also dont provide any worthy bonuses for doing it. I'd rather swap bar for resto and do undodgeable/unblockable channel(that have chance to proc poison on each tick) that restore more resources, heal allies near target and provide supa strong major mending.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    I'd rather them just make Ice staff for dps again like it should be, and introduce a new staff (like Alteration) that's actually designed for tanking.

Or better yet a proper melee Magicka Weaponline!
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Better than that trash it has now that people somehow defend.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    also, taunt on bash instead of a heavy attack or both. for quicker add control
  • ankeor
    ankeor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. NO!
    It would be worse than how it is now.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    ankeor wrote: »

No. NO!
    It would be worse than how it is now.

I'd say it would be slightly less bad than heavy attacks.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Playboy_Shrek
    Playboy_Shrek
    ✭✭✭

why does there need to be a staff for tanking? am perfectly fine here using an arena S&b and normal set s&b. works great, even tanked vSS at cp 395.
  • JTD
    JTD
    ✭✭✭
    #makeicestaffrelevantdps
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Just remove frost tanking.... everyone uses it for dps screws up trials and dungeon runs stealing aggro thinking they special running a frost warden dps like they're the hottest thing to walk nirn since the numidium. You at zos said you'd watching it closely and adjust where needed and you didn't ever nothing past making cp work of frost staves it still sucks remove it.
  • Yajnho
    Yajnho
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just put the taunt on one of the clench morphs?
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yajnho wrote: »
    Why not just put the taunt on one of the clench morphs?

Thats way to simple a fix for zenimax's tastes they gotta totally demolish the weapon line nerf fire and shock skills and rework all passives to make no sense before they come to that simple tweak conclusion...
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, let ice be dmg over time. Deterioration from long term freeze, like meat you know <;D
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with Ice staff is its passives actually hinder it.

No DPS wants to use it because it provides no extra damage and taunts.
    No Healer wants to use it because it taunts.
    Tanks only use it with certain passives off that drains magicka.

Ice staff should either go full DPS or full utility. I can't see how it could do DPS effectively given AOE (Lightning) and Single Target (Inferno) has been taken.

I think the ice staff should, upon heavy attack provide a damage shield or a slight HOT to group members. So it becomes a healer weapon. Or provide a passive by simply having it equipped (even if not on that bar) like a frost shield that appears in combat and recovers every 15 seconds. So healers / tanks would use it not for damage reasons but to have a frost shield pop up like Psijic shield every once in a while.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    richo262 wrote: »
    The problem with Ice staff is its passives actually hinder it.

No DPS wants to use it because it provides no extra damage and taunts.
    No Healer wants to use it because it taunts.
    Tanks only use it with certain passives off that drains magicka.

Ice staff should either go full DPS or full utility. I can't see how it could do DPS effectively given AOE (Lightning) and Single Target (Inferno) has been taken.

I think the ice staff should, upon heavy attack provide a damage shield or a slight HOT to group members. So it becomes a healer weapon. Or provide a passive by simply having it equipped (even if not on that bar) like a frost shield that appears in combat and recovers every 15 seconds. So healers / tanks would use it not for damage reasons but to have a frost shield pop up like Psijic shield every once in a while.

Sounds good to me, i'd like it at a dps/heal thing though, but then taunt? Leave it for S&B please, fire = single target. Lightening = AOE. Frost = crowd control+Dot's and Hot's, Heals for group and possibly tanks with an entirely optional taunt?
    Edited by InaMoonlight on July 27, 2020 12:42PM
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I meant remove the taunt if it becomes a healer weapon.

In Skyrim Ice attacks do Stam drain, and Lightning does Mag drain. They could make it that a heavy ice staff drains and opponents stamina and restores your magicka more so than other staves on heavy attack. I don't know that would have any effect on bosses.

If the Ice staff restores more magicka it won't need a taunt. Mage tanks (all 4 of them) can use inner fire more often with all the extra magicka they get.

They should also rework the passive that drains magicka to be - "Only if Magicka is higher than Stamina". As most S&B tanks have a higher stam pool it won't drain mag. Mage tanks however, it will, as intended.

Another option is, have the Ice staff give a greater bonus to enchants.

So:
    Inferno - Single target focus bonus
    Lightning - AOE bonus
    Ice - Enchant bonus

This might mean everyone would want a vMA Ice staff for weapon enchant though. Definitely would need to remove the taunt on the ice staff if DPS players start wanting to back bar it.
    Edited by richo262 on July 27, 2020 1:12PM
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    richo262 wrote: »
    Yeah I meant remove the taunt if it becomes a healer weapon.

In Skyrim Ice attacks do Stam drain, and Lightning does Mag drain. They could make it that a heavy ice staff drains and opponents stamina and restores your magicka more so than other staves on heavy attack. I don't know that would have any effect on bosses.

If the Ice staff restores more magicka it won't need a taunt. Mage tanks (all 4 of them) can use inner fire more often with all the extra magicka they get.

They should also rework the passive that drains magicka to be - "Only if Magicka is higher than Stamina". As most S&B tanks have a higher stam pool it won't drain mag. Mage tanks however, it will, as intended.

Another option is, have the Ice staff give a greater bonus to enchants.

So:
    Inferno - Single target focus bonus
    Lightning - AOE bonus
    Ice - Enchant bonus

This might mean everyone would want a vMA Ice staff for weapon enchant though. Definitely would need to remove the taunt on the ice staff if DPS players start wanting to back bar it.

I like that frost staves draining stam could also allow ice tanks to stomp stam tanks in pvp
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    We dont need taunt on frost staff. Back in time for that reason zos introduced Undaunted taunt for both mana and stam specs. Frost staff needs smth that actually have viability like its tanking staff yet its resto staff have passive that return magicka on blocking(Absorb), its outdated and should be overhauled where its becoming frost staff passive while resto get proper healing/defensive passive. Like back in time when 10% damage increase was removed because resto staff is not damage oriented weapon.
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's probably the best idea. Alteration would be cool. Actually some modified Illusion/Alteration Skilltree/Weapon would also work, similar to Frenzy and Mayhem but that you actually pull aggro onto yourself for example - With some support skills etc.
    Edited by Itzmichi on July 27, 2020 2:17PM
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Cinbri wrote: »
    We dont need taunt on frost staff. Back in time for that reason zos introduced Undaunted taunt for both mana and stam specs. Frost staff needs smth that actually have viability like its tanking staff yet its resto staff have passive that return magicka on blocking(Absorb), its outdated and should be overhauled where its becoming frost staff passive while resto get proper healing/defensive passive. Like back in time when 10% damage increase was removed because resto staff is not damage oriented weapon.

Give all frost skills major or minor of the defense debuffs, make the passives give like 100% enchant buff make the elemental ring morph be a placable damage sheild bubble get some tanky utility outta those skills
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    (Not an answer to OP)
    Why should it become a healer weapon when magdps only have 2 realistic damage options, one of which is only viable in pvp on specific classes? I'd be fine with it being useable as a backbar for tanks and healers, never had an issue with that. But the rest of the passives do actually need to reflect it being used for a damage role as it is a destruction staff with a damage exclusive ultimate, (mostly) damage skills and (mostly) damage/damage related passives. and that's still what most people want it for. A critical focus would be the most useful as a it effects both St and AoE, but only the critical versions of them, and is more useful on some classes than others, rather than being universally the best and a replacement for fire staves. Tanks should still recieve an entirely new weapon built from the ground up with passives, ultimates AND skills built for tanking and support. Because as it is, this is still taking a DPS weapon and turning it into something it's not, and what a majority of people don't want it to be.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on July 27, 2020 2:18PM
  • Yajnho
    Yajnho
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose there needed to be an option to make “Magicka focused” tanking viable. Since the only Magicka weapons are the staffs it had to be one of them. I still think the best option here would be just to add a taunt to one morph on one of the skills- either clench or elemental drain.

It would be great just to make another staff as suggested above. Even better would be to add another Magicka weapon option- wand or rod, or even some flavor of hands free casting.

I personally always wanted a duelist caster with a sword in one hand and a spell in the other. Make it a rapier or a saber, and make it technically a 2 handed weapon with skills that reflect spells in the “empty” hand.

Really anything that didn’t feel like mag Dps were loosing 1/3 of there weapon options would be better.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yajnho wrote: »
    I suppose there needed to be an option to make “Magicka focused” tanking viable. Since the only Magicka weapons are the staffs it had to be one of them. I still think the best option here would be just to add a taunt to one morph on one of the skills- either clench or elemental drain.

It would be great just to make another staff as suggested above. Even better would be to add another Magicka weapon option- wand or rod, or even some flavor of hands free casting.

I personally always wanted a duelist caster with a sword in one hand and a spell in the other. Make it a rapier or a saber, and make it technically a 2 handed weapon with skills that reflect spells in the “empty” hand.

Really anything that didn’t feel like mag Dps were loosing 1/3 of there weapon options would be better.

Zos could have just done the conjuration, alteration staves line for stuff like co jured shields and altering the world around them for tanking purposes but no they just slapped a dps option off of magicka
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Inferno staff and Frost staff should both have it

It's not fun to channel a heavy attack for 2.8 seconds which not only messes up the timing of skills in your rotation but also just feels god awful in a fast combat scenario, spell symmetry is better than heavy attacking in PvE... please make heavy attacks not feel so terrible.

It's also so frustrating to get interrupted by miniscule things.

Shock, IDK, because one, I don't use them, and two I know a lot of people like them for some reason.
    Edited by Jodynn on July 27, 2020 3:34PM
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

No, bash costs stam, heavy attack doesnt, thats the whole POINT of the frost staff taunt
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    What if frost did increased crit damage? It'd be an interesting change from flame's single target, and shock's aoe target.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    What if frost did increased crit damage? It'd be an interesting change from flame's single target, and shock's aoe target.

Love it if they drop the tanking crap ill take crit frost