Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Razor Caltrops

YoshinJaa
YoshinJaa
✭✭✭
Can this skill get looked into please? It was overtuned when DoTs were heavily buffed, but after its change to applying Major Fracture and having the DoT nerfed significantly, this skill could use some love and provide stamina DPS another option for cleave like it used to. Something like keep the duration the same, but up the DoT component a bit closer to Arrow Barrage. Either remove or keep the AoE fracture component, but the skill needs at least a 60% buff either way.
Edited by YoshinJaa on July 22, 2020 3:08PM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This skill is useful for the large area snare and major fracture. The damage is weak but if you buffed it into the range of a skill like arrow barrage which literally does nothing but damage, then you would need to remove the utility aspects.

As it is, this skill is useful for solo pve, and in some pvp scenarios and possibly but tanks in dungeons. It isnt an overpowered skill but just because it isnt used in the cookie cutter dps rotation doesnt make it useless either.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss this skill and one of the reasons why I quit playing stam is because of the heavy nerf to this and volley, at least volley is still usable, this skill is mostly trash now.

If they do rework it, it could have mag morph, fire caltrops.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you want the skill to be destoryed like Ritual of Retribution? Be careful about what you ask for...
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to imagine them "destroying" it similar to Ritual of Retribution given its damage is inherently low with the main appeal being Major Fracture to multiple enemies, which isn't significant in itself. Take away Major Fracture? Buff damage but still not worth it mostly likely. Take away damage? Lower cost AoE Major Fracture plus maybe something extra that's still likely situational.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    This skill is useful for the large area snare and major fracture. The damage is weak but if you buffed it into the range of a skill like arrow barrage which literally does nothing but damage, then you would need to remove the utility aspects.

As it is, this skill is useful for solo pve, and in some pvp scenarios and possibly but tanks in dungeons. It isnt an overpowered skill but just because it isnt used in the cookie cutter dps rotation doesnt make it useless either.

Arrow Barrage is weak damage. It’s only used for the Maelstrom Bow effect and to proc back bar enchants. Caltrops has neither of these benefits.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably could have options between morphs for 1 to be the utility and the other be the DPS.
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Probably could have options between morphs for 1 to be the utility and the other be the DPS.

That's the way it was originally. They changed the damage version to the Major Fracture one for some reason or another. Never got the answer for why it was done though.
  • YoshinJaa
    YoshinJaa
    ✭✭✭
    I would be completely fine if Anti-Cavalry was renamed and turned into a pure AoE DoT, while Razor was weaker but provided Major Fracture. Do people really use Anti-Cavalry in Cyrodiil often? I don't open world much.
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've never liked the idea of a few of the skills or morphs being so narrowly specific for PvP, like Siege Sheild, Revealing Flare and of course Anti-Calvary Caltrops. Sure, they're in a skill line that's built up through PvP but a lot of the skills can be used in PvE as well. Like even skills that involve CC, which are often times not as beneficial in like trial settings still have a purpose in all other forms of PvE.
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caltrops is good in pvp for classes that doesn't have major fracture in classkit and doesn't use sword and board puncture, also snare helps for kitting around corners.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Do you want the skill to be destoryed like Ritual of Retribution? Be careful about what you ask for...

skill has already been destroyed
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody uses Anti-Cavalry Caltrops in PvP.

As others have said, it is situationally useful in PvP for group play or in solo for classes that don't otherwise have access to MFracture.

Just as ZOS rightly cannibalized the second Crystal Frags morph and turned it into the useful Crystal Weapon, so should they also take that approach for the useless AC Caltrops.

After that, making the new morph a pure damage skill would seem like a very intuitive decision.
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody uses Anti-Cavalry Caltrops in PvP.

As others have said, it is situationally useful in PvP for group play or in solo for classes that don't otherwise have access to MFracture.

Just as ZOS rightly cannibalized the second Crystal Frags morph and turned it into the useful Crystal Weapon, so should they also take that approach for the useless AC Caltrops.

After that, making the new morph a pure damage skill would seem like a very intuitive decision.

I agree that other morph (Anti cavalary whatever) is pretty much only good for role playing. I wouldnt mind if ZOS made that morph more pve attractive by increasing damage dot.

However razor caltrops is fine for pvp or pve on what it does (aoe major fracture).
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had an idea to try Caltrops on a DPS build with the newly buffed powerful assault to see how it feels as a potential group buff, and maybe ravager to capitalize on the big load of weapon damage since I would be slinging Caltrops anyway.

But I can't find powerful assault in any of the pts set containers. I tried just ravager + Caltrops and it felt like way too much of a damage loss on its own.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree. It when from a staple in a stam dps rotation to practically useless. Give it back some teeth.
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use it for the slow /major fracture especially for necro/sorc in pvp.
    It also helps Los play especially on trees etc. Slower classes like necro can also use it to get out of the trouble. (drop caltrops and rat/mist away ^^)

In solo pve it's still useful for classes without major fracture.
    Only In organized group play it's often useless and not worth the slot.

But 1 morph should be the dmg option. Place the riding debuff to the utility morph and done.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please give it a 40% damage buff was a very useful stam sorc aoe staple change kinda killed its use alot and soul trap doesnt help because it eats at our already abysmal mag pool
  • JoSePHRiNG
    JoSePHRiNG
    ✭✭✭
    I mainly use it AOE major fracture, not for damage so it could use a little bit of love... right?
    Jorvuld's Guidance and SPC all the way down.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revive a dead skill everyone loved..
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • YoshinJaa
    YoshinJaa
    ✭✭✭
    No Razor/Anti-Cavalry update today...hopefully we will get some positive changes at some point this PTS.
    Edited by YoshinJaa on July 28, 2020 3:39AM
  • SLEDGEHAMMER_X
    tooltip says major fracture for 4 seconds. does the debuff re-proc if enemies remain in the aoe?

didn't realize this was public test board, will repost to general.
    Edited by SLEDGEHAMMER_X on November 16, 2020 10:17PM
    Xbox NASLEDGEHAMMER X