The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Queen Ayrenn's age?

Aorcain
Aorcain
✭✭
So I was wondering about how old she is actually, since I saw in multiple sources that she's either 28 or 132. I don't know which one is true?
I do know that she was born in 2E year 555 but everything after that is unclear for me.

For my personal headcanon I think that 132 is makes more sense due to her years of adventures, gathering allies thoughout Tamriel, creating the Eyes of the Queen spy network and then Dominion itself. But again it may have some plot holes so I want to know for sure.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She looks 28, but is actually 132 years old.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, since the game takes place in 2E 583, then 28 would be her chronological age.

Now, if her travels in other planes allowed her to age with a nod to relativity like traveling the speed of light would, then she could be 132 to us, but still 28ish to herself. Still does not account for the lack of passage of time. Maybe it is reverse relativity? She ages faster in the other plane than here?
    Edited by Nestor on July 19, 2020 9:49PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Ayrenn's life between being born, then running away and finally assuming the throne 581/582 is kept deliberately vague. All we know for sure is that at some point she ran into Razum-dar and they joined. But a major point of Ayrenn's character is that she is exceedingly young for a High Elf and especially for a ruler.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not a question for a lady. Let alone an altmer lady. Let alone a queen. And even less to Ayrenn. Are you tired of life ? :-)
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She is definitely canonically 28 years. It's funny how the Dominion thinks that the races of men cannot reach the same level of maturity that elves can because of their short lifespans but Ayrenn is literally younger than Jorunn and Emeric.
    Still, they say an Elven infant on the throne is better than another Emperor from the races of men.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    She is definitely canonically 28 years. It's funny how the Dominion thinks that the races of men cannot reach the same level of maturity that elves can because of their short lifespans but Ayrenn is literally younger than Jorunn and Emeric.
    Still, they say an Elven infant on the throne is better than another Emperor from the races of men.

Yeah, it is kind of ironic how she says that would rather put an infant on throne, while being canonically somewhat of a infant herself in High Elf lifespan matter, lol. Despite that I like Ayrenn, it is kind of Mary Sue-ish that they made her this cool, adventurous girl-that-is-destined-to-be-queen that acomplished so much at such young age. Even still it doesn't make sense for me for her to be just 28 years old, but that's just my headcanon. :#
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭
    I think Ayrenn's life between being born, then running away and finally assuming the throne 581/582 is kept deliberately vague. All we know for sure is that at some point she ran into Razum-dar and they joined. But a major point of Ayrenn's character is that she is exceedingly young for a High Elf and especially for a ruler.

This vagueness is kind of annoying. I just can't understand how you can travel throughout whole Tamriel, do whatever she did in.. what, 20 years? Even less? Just doesn't make sense to me.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But what did she actually do? After all, she says that most of the stories are false. :)

And did Razum-dar set up his whole spy network for her, or did he just put an existing network in her service?
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭
    But what did she actually do? After all, she says that most of the stories are false. :)

And did Razum-dar set up his whole spy network for her, or did he just put an existing network in her service?

Well, I guess we’ll never know for sure.

I think Raz was one of the first of Eyes of the Queen and perhaps they both created it and he helped her set it up.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a theory I've heard of, and which I like, but I can't give you any "proofs" nor links to it, says that during her time "away" Ayrenn was sent 5000 years into the future and was then known as "KINMUNE". Or, better said, she's always been "KINMUNE" and was sent back 5000 years into the past as Ayrenn. KINMUNE is an android. I mean, a mix of woman and robot - not a smartphone OS.

That's mostly Kirkbride stuff - take it or leave it but don't start me with Kirkbride. I like his stuff and vision, particularly this one. It explains why Ayrenn has a "destiny" as Queen and has always been aware of it, it explains her disappearance and "legend", it explains why she was much stronger physically and emotionally than anyone her age, and it explains why she miraculously turned up the day her brother was meant to be crowned king to claim her heirloom.

• Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to come to this thread on May the 5th :). What are your sources saying her age is 132, OP?
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 21, 2020 12:05AM
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭
    Don't forget to come to this thread on May the 5th :). What are your sources saying her age is 132, OP?

I saw it a while ago so I’ve lost the links, otherwise I would’ve post them. I think it was somewhere on imperial-library.info site. But anyway I did saw the following quote that I specifically saved for myself:

"Queen Ayrenn is intelligent and honorable, with a genuine humility rarely seen among her people but she is also a decisive leader with a stubborn streak. She is young for a High Elf--a mere 132 years old—but she spent much of the first century of her life roaming the lands and seas of Tamriel, seeking adventure and the kind of education schools cannot impart."

It got me pretty confused so I thought maybe someone would know where this number came from.
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭
    Here's a theory I've heard of, and which I like, but I can't give you any "proofs" nor links to it, says that during her time "away" Ayrenn was sent 5000 years into the future and was then known as "KINMUNE". Or, better said, she's always been "KINMUNE" and was sent back 5000 years into the past as Ayrenn. KINMUNE is an android. I mean, a mix of woman and robot - not a smartphone OS.

That's mostly Kirkbride stuff - take it or leave it but don't start me with Kirkbride. I like his stuff and vision, particularly this one. It explains why Ayrenn has a "destiny" as Queen and has always been aware of it, it explains her disappearance and "legend", it explains why she was much stronger physically and emotionally than anyone her age, and it explains why she miraculously turned up the day her brother was meant to be crowned king to claim her heirloom.

Yeah, I think I saw this one too but didn’t ZoS told that this wasn’t canon? Correct me if I’m wrong
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aorcain wrote: »

Yeah, I think I saw this one too but didn’t ZoS told that this wasn’t canon? Correct me if I’m wrong

It shouldn't be confirmed or denied as some pieces of the lore are free for interpretation and to be a mystery on it's own thankfully but zos made a node to that MK's writing in Imperial City dlc afai remember when you're talking to one of the special merchants.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

Yeah, it is kind of ironic how she says that would rather put an infant on throne, while being canonically somewhat of a infant herself in High Elf lifespan matter, lol. Despite that I like Ayrenn, it is kind of Mary Sue-ish that they made her this cool, adventurous girl-that-is-destined-to-be-queen that acomplished so much at such young age. Even still it doesn't make sense for me for her to be just 28 years old, but that's just my headcanon. :#

I find that line hilarious because she practically is an infant.

As for being a Mary Sue, I think the AD Questline is more of a deconstruction of exactly what happens when a visionary young ruler takes the throne:
    She crushes her brother's hopes and dreams til he turns against her.
    The old nobles keep launching rebellions.
    She's got no idea of how to lead a coalition on her own, never manages to convince the Altmer to follow her ideas, and so its made explicitly clear that without the Vestige, her Dominion falls apart and she gets killed by her former allies.

I mean, she wants to claim her adventures prepared her for the throne, but she doesn't seem worldly-wise enough to even figure out that "Hmm, my little brother and his wife might possible resent me showing up and yoinking the crown back, maybe?" You know?
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it a while ago so I’ve lost the links, otherwise I would’ve post them. I think it was somewhere on imperial-library.info site. But anyway I did saw the following quote that I specifically saved for myself:

"Queen Ayrenn is intelligent and honorable, with a genuine humility rarely seen among her people but she is also a decisive leader with a stubborn streak. She is young for a High Elf--a mere 132 years old—but she spent much of the first century of her life roaming the lands and seas of Tamriel, seeking adventure and the kind of education schools cannot impart."

It got me pretty confused so I thought maybe someone would know where this number came from.

I suppose that "a while ago" was 8 years ago actually :p. Yeah, sometimes I feel those years passing as if they were weeks too.. Nevertheless, as far as I know, Ayrenn's age was 132 before her official biography was released in the in-game books. You might have read it either on the official site of that time or on the Imperial Library's post of Lady N dated 2012 here. Anyway, regarding Ayrenn's age, today we seem to have these two books only: Ayrenn: The Unforeseen Queen by Headmaster Tanion of the College of Aldmeri Propriety and the supporting book The Rise of Queen Ayrenn by Nuulehtel of Skywatch. In MK's C0da work (check the link to pdf down below there) it's also stated "Blessed Pentarch 5/5/555". So, I guess today we have no sources of her 132 years at all. Though, I might be missing something on that. Anyway, you have a good memory, Aorcain :).
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 21, 2020 3:07PM
  • Aorcain
    Aorcain
    ✭✭

I suppose that "a while ago" was 8 years ago actually :p. Yeah, sometimes I feel those years passing as if they were weeks too.. Nevertheless, as far as I know, Ayrenn's age was 132 before her official biography was released in the in-game books. You might have read it either on the official site of that time or on the Imperial Library's post of Lady N dated 2012 here. Anyway, regarding Ayrenn's age, today we seem to have these two books only: Ayrenn: The Unforeseen Queen by Headmaster Tanion of the College of Aldmeri Propriety and the supporting book The Rise of Queen Ayrenn by Nuulehtel of Skywatch. In MK's C0da work (check the link to pdf down below there) it's also stated "Blessed Pentarch 5/5/555". So, I guess today we have no sources of her 132 years at all. Though, I might be missing something on that. Anyway, you have a good memory, Aorcain :).

So I guess either ZoS yet again messed up with timelines or there is a source of that age number laying somewhere. Or maybe both 😁 It couldn’t have emerged from nowhere after all.
    Regardless, thanks for the info and links!
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading this as well somewhere - though not recently - that Queen Ayrenn's age of 28 was in human years - which when converted to elven years would be 128 - a maturity rate or something like this...

Edited by Eporem on July 21, 2020 7:57PM
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    I came across this when trying to find where I read of her age...which maybe tells why she might wanted to have disappeared

As it is custom for every monarch, in 2E 573, Ayrenn was to be inducted into the Sapiarchs' Labyrinth, to study Altmeri Regal Praxis and Ceremoniarchy for three-thousand five-hundred and fifty-five days. However, she had disappeared and not even the Thalmor were able to find her in all of Summerset.

Edited by Eporem on July 23, 2020 11:02AM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, to become queen after her father's death, she had to undergo 3555 days of Altmeri studies and 88 days of ceremonial singing. That'd be almost 10 years. Before that, her brother had to do the same in her place, since she had disappeared. Was he through with it? I think he had almost finished? So that were already about 20 years altogether. If she is only 28 now, she would have been 8 years old when her father died? But then she wouldn't have been able to run from home of her own and undertake all those adventures she and Raz mention.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I checked it. From the information on uesp.net, I get that Ayrenn was born on the 5th of Second Seed in 2E 555. Preparations for her future coronation already started before her father's death, in 2E 573. She disappeared before the rituals started - at that time, she was about 18 years old. Her father died in 2E 580 when she was aged 25. Then she returned - and became queen without having to complete the cermonies?!
    (Source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ayrenn:_The_Unforeseen_Queen )

ESO takes place in 2E 582, so she must be age 27 or 28.

@Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • The_Drop_Bear
    The_Drop_Bear
    ✭✭✭

Hahah no don't even start with that BS.
    There is a reason why ZOS mocked that theory by having a madman call her a dwemer machine from the future
  • The_Drop_Bear
    The_Drop_Bear
    ✭✭✭

All of kirkbrides stuff is non canon, unless it is included in a game
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    OK, since the game takes place in 2E 583, then 28 would be her chronological age.

Now, if her travels in other planes allowed her to age with a nod to relativity like traveling the speed of light would, then she could be 132 to us, but still 28ish to herself. Still does not account for the lack of passage of time. Maybe it is reverse relativity? She ages faster in the other plane than here?

I like this explanation.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a reason why ZOS mocked that theory by having a madman call her a dwemer machine from the future

I agree Kirkbride's a madman, but that doesn't make his work BS - rather the opposite. At least it's more consistent and interesting as a theory than everything else on this page and elsewhere where everyone seems to check her resume to see if she qualifies for an internship. This is fantasy guys, so let people enjoy fantasy characters with fantasy backgrounds and fantasy stories. There's a huge steampunk aspect of the Elder Scrolls series, and one of the three rulers has to represent it. Do you see anything even remotely seducing and "steampunky" in old' weaky Eymeric, or in good' drunkard Jorunn ? Ayrenn is the one with whom we can tinker in our imagination. You don't have to agree with this theory nor to like it, but don't call it BS, because it fits. Actually much more than 95% of the lore in the games - not because it's inaccurate or not well-built, but because it's always presented with a point of view.

That's pretty much like saying a Da Vinci painting isn't a piece of art unless it's been exhibited in a museum.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on July 25, 2020 3:47PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree Kirkbride's a madman, but that doesn't make his work BS - rather the opposite. At least it's more consistent and interesting as a theory than everything else on this page and elsewhere where everyone seems to check her resume to see if she qualifies for an internship. This is fantasy guys, so let people enjoy fantasy characters with fantasy backgrounds and fantasy stories. There's a huge steampunk aspect of the Elder Scrolls series, and one of the three rulers has to represent it. Do you see anything even remotely seducing and "steampunky" in old' weaky Eymeric, or in good' drunkard Jorunn ? Ayrenn is the one with whom we can tinker in our imagination. You don't have to agree with this theory nor to like it, but don't call it BS, because it fits. Actually much more than 95% of the lore in the games - not because it's inaccurate or not well-built, but because it's always presented with a point of view.

That's pretty much like saying a Da Vinci painting isn't a piece of art unless it's been exhibited in a museum.

I quite disagree. The steampunk element of TES is primarily in the Dwemer/Clockwork parts of the worldbuilding. It's there in the base game, particularly in recurring characters in the DC and EP zones. It doesn't need to be represented by an alliance leader being an android of sorts, not when they've already got a story going on. (Though one could argue that Ayrenn does get involved with some Ayleid magitech in Grahtwood.)

For me, Kinmune as a theory fails to be as interesting as the "human drama" of a young woman coming back home to drag her backwards people kicking and screaming into a brighter future, except it's not that easy and she hurts a lot of people along the way. For example, the friendship with Raz and the conflict with Naemon get a lot less interesting. The whole Grahtwood to Greenshade storyline loses a lot of punch if it's not actually a conflict between a well-intentioned but still hurtful sister and a very hurt brother who dealt with it poorly.

Now, different stories appeal to different folks, so YMMV. Kirkbride's got a lot of influence on TES. I think he'd have more if he were more consistently coherent. But in the case of Kinmune, I think it's ignoring the characters that make the AD story work in favor of concocting some other story some people wish had been told instead. That's fanfiction (no knock on fanfic, I write the stuff) and that's why ZOS' only nod to Kinmune is use it as an in-universe conspiracy theory.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 25, 2020 4:16PM
  • The_Drop_Bear
    The_Drop_Bear
    ✭✭✭

Ayrenn being a robot from the future is consistent and interesting, hahahahah no.

The steampunky Ness of TES isn't a large part and no leader has to represent it.

It's BS, because it's BS, because it has not haring on canon and just is a fanfic made by an ex dev. The ESO devs mocked it.

A robot from after land fall damaged in the hist Jill wars with 16th dimensional maths attacks and end up being the eye of Magnus and queen ayrenn is very much BS.

That's not an appropriate analogy at all, more likely saying that a painting that someone who was once close to da Vinci made after they had drifted apart made and was very different from his work and then calling it da Vinci's.

Kirkbride hasn't worked for Bethesda since morrowind, he worked briefly as a freelancer for the KOTN dlc but that's it.
    He doesn't work for them, anything he writes holds no more weight than anything anyone writes.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The steampunky Ness of TES isn't a large part and no leader has to represent it.

To be more precise, there IS a leader in TES who is steampunky: Sotha Sil, and he gets his own DLC.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't 28yo quite young for an elf? Like isn't that still an adolescent in elven age?

It would really cool to get some backstory as to what she did during her travels. Perhaps some DLC focusing on the kings and queens of the 3 alliances. Though I guess this could have happened in Summerset but it didn't. We didn't even get more info on the proxy queen. Anyway, I'm curious to know what Ayrenn did during her travels and what she saw.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    Isn't 28yo quite young for an elf? Like isn't that still an adolescent in elven age?

Developers' "Ask Us Anything: Variety Pack 4", 05/06/2013 - "Elves live two to three times as long as humans and the “beast-races” (Orcs, Khajiiti, Argonians). A 200-year-old Elf is old; a 300-year-old Elf is very, very old indeed. Anyone older than that has prolonged his or her lifespan through powerful magic."

Based on this source we can roughly make the following calculation: if 300 Elven years are 100 human years, then 28 Elven years are.. 9 human years :). She's not quite young - she's way too young :p. Anyway, her psychology is human enough to be adult in her 27. I wonder what changes in Elven mindset happen through their lives said to be that long. I doubt it should be equal to human one. The same calculation for Nerevar based on the dates of the First Era battles he fought, shows the age of the Hortator was close to 300 years making him a very old but still good fighter. Still, I've met no fan art depicting him that old - he's always young there.