The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trials vs Dungeons vs etc ??

gjohnson146
gjohnson146
✭✭
Hello all, I have played ESO for years now and I have only ever focused on questing. I am one of those people who always starts a new character before even getting to CP points (haha oops). I am working towards getting Cadwell's Gold done now.
Anyway, as I said above, I have always quested and I have never had any experience with trials or dungeons. Can you guys help explain the differences? It seems so confusing to me. Is it true that I can just hop into a dungeon by finding a group, at any level? Aren't Trials only for very high levels?
Please help and thank you so much :smile:
Edited by gjohnson146 on July 19, 2020 6:15PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeons are for groups of 4 and have specific roles. If you use groupfinder, you'll need to queue as a tank, healer, or damage dealer with skills such as a taunt it healing staff to match your role.
    Normal dungeons unlock progressively from level 10 to 45.
    Veteran dungeons unlock progressively from level 50 to CP 300.

Trials are for groups of 12 and have similar roles. They are generally harder than dungeons and are not included in Groupfinder. If you want to try them out, I'd recommend going to Craglorn and answering an LFG call for a normal trial.

This post of mine focuses on the Undaunted event involving dungeons, but it also covers general topics like how to prepare for your role: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/507330/how-to-have-fun-and-make-friends-while-stress-testing-the-undaunted-celebration-jan-9-13th/p1
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 19, 2020 6:42PM
  • Rory_FightingToFifty
    Dungeons typically refer to four player content - the undaunted dungeons. These are available in normal and vet mode. There’s a pretty wide range of difficulty, With the original dungeons being quite easy, and in some cases Something you can handle with 1-2 players instead of four. Then many of the later DLC dungeons get more challenging.

Trials are 12 player content that are designed to be quite challenging. These are also available in normal and vet mode. Trials can be heavy on game mechanics, so that specific strategies must be employed to win...this can involve different types of damage, Multiple stages of attack, Objects in the area that need to be manipulated, etc. Successful trial runs generally involve appropriately balancing the group between dps/heal/tank, as well as coordinating skills and buffs appropriate for each stage of the dungeon.

There is different loot/achievements for various trials and dungeons, which you can look up for each of them.

It’s pretty easy to start doing dungeons. Activity finder can toss you in with a group. Just make sure to designate your toon’s role,correctly so it knows if you’re dps, heal or,tank. The annoying thing about activity finder is that many groups are just doing grind speed runs and will fly through. Trials are way tricker to do since you have to coordinate twelve,people. If you’re interested in these, it’s probably best to find a guild that will invite and teach newbie trial players.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming you are maxed out on CP or close to it. Key thing for trials and dungeons is your gear, skills, and CP setups are going to change from what you have been running in solo questing. Check out sites like Alcast to give you a map on what changes you will have to make if you want to do veteran dungeons, or even normal trials. You don't have to do his meta, but his builds are good and a great starting point. There is just so much to go into, it can't really be done with a guide. Its better to do trial and error. But here are some basics.

For starters, I would recommend doing both trials and dungeons on a DPS first. Its the best way to learn the mechanics and simple things like "where do I stand for this boss?" Leave tanking and healing for later. Its an acquired skill.

You are going to want more group-oriented and/or pure damage-only sets for DPS. Things like Relequen and False Gods that focus on sustain and damage without health buffs or regen buffs. Sets than can only be found in trials and dungeons. No problem, you can also run without trials gear until you get trials gear. Like Hundlings and New Moon and Mother's Sorrow.

Your foods and skills will be different as well. Your food will likely be X Health + X Magic or Stamina boosts. Sustain boosts like Dubious Camoran Throne are used for builds that have sustain issues. Tri stat is rarely used in PVE.

Most of your skills will again be damage and sustain oriented. Sorcs will use shields, but for the most part, you will not be using the same heals and shields you have been solo questing as a DPS. Its tough, but you have to trust those things will be handled by the tank and healers in things like trials. As for dungeons, you will want a self heal because you can't trust dungeon finder. But its always good to have an OH S**T skill that will heal your if you get in trouble in either trials or dungeons.

Min/Maxing is thing that most do in these trials. Its not mandatory, but its very very common. Most shove all their attribute points into stamina or magic, depending on the build, and relying on food for health. You don't have to do this, but it does increase your damage output. If you do this, remember one thing: always make sure your health is above 20,000 with the food buff. This is a safe baseline for group content. Below 20,000 you can get one-shotted. This is the biggest mistake people make when jumping into group content.

If you queue for a veteran dungeon in dungeon finder, be prepared for it to come at you quickly. Most people run them very fast because they have run them many, many times. And I would stay away from queuing for a DLC dungeon until you have run a few veteran base dungeons and maybe the Craglorn 3 trials first. They are much more difficult than something like veteran City of Ash 1 or 2.

Remember, have fun. Its not as hard as you think it will be.