Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cya Grothdarr

dhboy123
dhboy123
✭✭✭✭
Just want to say goodbye to this set, hope everyone had fun overusing it in PvP and BG. Never seen a more broken monster set.

Edited by dhboy123 on July 18, 2020 2:11AM
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swapped my medium armor for heavy because of plars and DKs using this, glad they are fixing it
  • dhboy123
    dhboy123
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swapped my medium armor for heavy because of plars and DKs using this, glad they are fixing it

Everyone seems to be using it, crazy burst damage. Talking about almost 9k damage every 5 seconds lol.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dhboy123 wrote: »

Everyone seems to be using it, crazy burst damage. Talking about almost 9k damage every 5 seconds lol.

Not me...
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

Not me...

Or me!

Holds onto their Zaans set. The other form of cheese.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hypocrites. lol
    I predict you will still see Groth on your recaps. ;)
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's getting fixed?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but the fix is great afai understand, it makes it only proc if there are enemies in melee range?
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only 1 of my current 8 max level characters on Xbox NA uses Grothdarr now and will still keep on using no matter of any nerfs or buffs, weirdly I got once some salt whispering after bg match for using this set even my character had Ilambris set on in that match, he seemed very certain about my supposed Grothdarr set so perhaps I should check my Ilambris set more closely, I bet there's some description in very small letters informing the set is actually Grothdarr after all.
  • ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is a QoL change imo.

There are two sides to this:

i) You don't run Elf Bane. It's a boon to you, b/c you won't proc at range and have no one in melee range to hit thus wasting the proc and CD.

ii) You run Elf Bane. You want as many ticks of dmg as possible to keep your 100% uptime.
    Edited by ne.ga.kurai_ESO on July 18, 2020 6:34AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

i) You don't run Elf Bane. It's a boon to you, b/c you won't proc at range and have no one in melee range to hit thus wasting the proc and CD.

ii) You run Elf Bane. You want as many ticks of dmg as possible to keep your 100% uptime.

Even with Elf Bane, how is this a nerf?
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to say goodbye to this set, hope everyone had fun overusing it in PvP and BG.

[snip]
    Grothdarr:
    This set now only activates if you are within 8 meters of the enemy, where it can deal damage in the first place.
    Fixed an issue where this set’s damage was considered Direct Damage, rather than Damage over Time.
    Fixed an issue where this set had a higher chance of applying Burning than intended.

Nerfed into oblivion /s

Most people using it will keep on using it.
    Never seen a more broken monster set.

Then I suggest you look a bit further because there are a lot more. :lol: Grothdarr isnt even that powerful

Really? It's not 9k every 5 seconds. That's the sum of damage done from the proc if you stand there and take every tick, but it isn't how damage is delivered. You make it sound like it smacks you for 9K in one hit every 5 seconds :lol: Truth is, it's 1800 per second over 5 seconds with a 10 second cool down: 5*1800/10 = 900 dps! such power...

So if you're dying to 900 damage per second, or let's be kind to you and say short burst window 1800, I'd question your ability rather than blame a set.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on July 18, 2020 1:17PM
  • Drom_Athra_Destroyer

Even with Elf Bane, how is this a nerf?

A lot of magdks used it as a sustain crutch. Magdks were able to run around with 600 mag recov and sustain all from grothdarr proccing combustion. This change pretty much hurt magdk sustain. I haven't tested this myself, just insight from pc players that use it on a specific class. It's probably a buff overall though outside of that specific area of what the set was commonly used for.
    Edited by Drom_Athra_Destroyer on July 18, 2020 12:06PM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never stopped using Bloodspawn myself, even after the nerf.

Is doing me wonders.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What should I use instead for my magplar dps?
  • Kavar162
    Kavar162
    ✭✭✭
    The changes are fixes and QoL buffs. Nothing more. The reason magdks have been able to run around with little to no mag recovery and get sustain from grothdar is because of combustion passive + charged; a strategy that ZoS themselves pushed on magdks when the changed combustion passive in the first place.

Every change they are making are just fixes. I'm glad I won't be able to proc grothdar when I'M NOT within range. That's good for magdks. Because.. we are a melee range mag class already? And the fact that it wasn't considered a dot was a bug. If it's duration gets affected by elfbane then yeah it should be a flame dot. But in BGs that doesn't matter. Overall, grothdar is incredibly balanced.

As an aside, just gonna say that the changes they have made over the last couple patches have allowed for magdks to have builds that replicate the 'old school' magdk style: in-your-face, brawler, melee aoe gods. Just remember that you have to choose traits and sets specifically to obtain this style and that to me is balanced. I can't run anything else if I want this gameplay style. And honestly I'm fine with that. Haven't had this much fun with my main character in years. Sad to see that so many people want to nerf that, when instead we should be looking at ways to increase class identity through additional buffs.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to say goodbye to this set, hope everyone had fun overusing it in PvP and BG. Never seen a more broken monster set.

Grothdarr was in game for a while now, did ZOS recently change it?

to my comprehension it was previously just a pool of lava that punished people who stand in red
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was my fav monster set while using Melee Magblade. Sad to see it's broken now.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What should I use instead for my magplar dps?

For everyone saying "well don't stand in Grothdarr"... how do you get away from magplars who just topping charge you over and over and over? Sorcs can streak, but everyone else?

Oh, and magdk's with Fossilize that you can't break out of half the time, even with fulls stamina, and it's not in CC cooldown.

Yes, players using grothdarr just stand there and let you move away. /s
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on July 19, 2020 5:14PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it is fixed not broken. lol
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something tells me that... well They are nerfing it NOW, not because it was strong (it obviously was), but because they want to avoid "Iceheart drama" (they nerfed this monster set in the same patch they introduced new monster set that had similar application).

So we will see something that will replace Grothdarr (possibly even more broken) in next - next dungeon DLC (1 st part of next year-long story).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on July 19, 2020 5:14PM
  • GetAgrippa
    GetAgrippa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who are all these people that are dying to Grothdarr? Someone above says they have no idea how to counterplay a Templar in Grothdarr. Really? You cc them and kill them. Or you cc them and get away. I feel like a lot of you guys are the same people I just spam force pulse at and you just die.
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GetAgrippa wrote: »
    Who are all these people that are dying to Grothdarr? Someone above says they have no idea how to counterplay a Templar in Grothdarr. Really? You cc them and kill them. Or you cc them and get away. I feel like a lot of you guys are the same people I just spam force pulse at and you just die.

Idc about grothdarr except in BGs, its just annoying af when u play medium full melee.

Yea sure, no one forces u to stay in red, but that doesnt mean they wont do everything in their power to keep u in it, u know toppling charge, magdk roots etc. Ugh and Power of the light 🤢

So yea... In a deathmatch u can die for standing too close to a grothdarr user, so better not to try kill them in deathmatch unless u zerg them... I mean thats your options as a full melee brawler 😂

And yea the damage looks small on paper, but in noCP things are different, its OP (and i say this as a Dark Elf)
  • GetAgrippa
    GetAgrippa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GetAgrippa wrote: »

Idc about grothdarr except in BGs, its just annoying af when u play medium full melee.

Yea sure, no one forces u to stay in red, but that doesnt mean they wont do everything in their power to keep u in it, u know toppling charge, magdk roots etc. Ugh and Power of the light 🤢

So yea... In a deathmatch u can die for standing too close to a grothdarr user, so better not to try kill them in deathmatch unless u zerg them... I mean thats your options as a full melee brawler 😂

And yea the damage looks small on paper, but in noCP things are different, its OP (and i say this as a Dark Elf)

I mean, I play magdk. I really don't have a problem with it. And no I don't use Grothdarr.
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine thinking the objectively worse version of Venomous Smite is broken lol.

This change will not change players using elf bane because it will still be active nearly the entire time the grothdarr user is near you.

For anyone else it means grothdarr will never be on cd because it activated from some DOT tick across the field. It will activate only when the user needs it: when they are up in your face.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere wrote: »
    Imagine thinking the objectively worse version of Venomous Smite is broken lol.

This change will not change players using elf bane because it will still be active nearly the entire time the grothdarr user is near you.

For anyone else it means grothdarr will never be on cd because it activated from some DOT tick across the field. It will activate only when the user needs it: when they are up in your face.

The issue with grothdaar was that it gives magDK infinite sustain as long as they're hitting multiple ppl with it.
    Thankfully it's getting fixed.
    Ofc like Templar "fixes" this feels more like a nerf, but hey whatever.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still going to use it
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I can put all my points into Thurma and not Master at arms,
    Engulfing flames > Destro ulti > Grothdar proc then block and run.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Kadoin wrote: »

Not me...

Or me!

Holds onto their Zaans set. The other form of cheese.

Busted ... I'm still using Zaan on my Magicka DK as well (even with the nerfs). B)
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what happened to it, i must have missed it
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never stopped using Bloodspawn myself, even after the nerf.

Is doing me wonders.
    Same. I cant get enough of those ulti regen.
    On my stamdk I use it to frequently readying leap.