The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cannot reapply enchantment my staves.

zymmer
zymmer
Soul Shriven
OK, I have 2 legendary staves using the same purple enchant which I made. Enchantments are level 50 and CP 160, so are the staves. For whatever reason, I cannot reapply the same purple enchatment. I've since made Blue enchantments and they show in the 'Enchant Item' box but no purple enchantments. I can recharge the staves to the same damage level, but not reapply the enchantments carried in my bags. I am somewhat confused as these were the initial enchantments I had applied to the staves. Any thoughts appreciated.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot apply an enchantment that is identical to the enchantment already on the piece of gear.

BTW, you can apply a gold quality enchantment of the same type and you may be able to apply an inferior quality to what is on it (never tested since there is no reason, but not the identical.

You need to use soul gems to recharge weapon glyphs. Right-click on the weapon, then select recharge (or something like that). I do not remember what it is on the console.
    Edited by idk on June 29, 2020 8:22AM
  • NavalOffisah
    NavalOffisah
    ✭✭✭
    zymmer wrote: »
    OK, I have 2 legendary staves using the same purple enchant which I made. Enchantments are level 50 and CP 160, so are the staves. For whatever reason, I cannot reapply the same purple enchatment. I've since made Blue enchantments and they show in the 'Enchant Item' box but no purple enchantments. I can recharge the staves to the same damage level, but not reapply the enchantments carried in my bags. I am somewhat confused as these were the initial enchantments I had applied to the staves. Any thoughts appreciated.

It sounds like you need to recharge the staves using a soul gem. You don't have to re-enchant the staff each time with a new enchantment! When you say you recharged the staves do you mean upgrade?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you've checked the above suggestions, @zymmer, you might want to post a screenshot of your staff and the glyphs you're trying to apply.
  • zymmer
    zymmer
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all the info, appreciated. This is something I didn't know and don't understand.
    idk wrote: »
    You cannot apply an enchantment that is identical to the enchantment already on the piece of gear.
    I don't know why you would bother levelling up enchanting if you can't reapply the same enchant. I have recharged the staff with soul gems, no problems there but I just don't get not being able to enchant the item again with the same.

Thanks for the help.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zymmer wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info, appreciated. This is something I didn't know and don't understand.
    idk wrote: »
    I don't know why you would bother levelling up enchanting if you can't reapply the same enchant. I have recharged the staff with soul gems, no problems there but I just don't get not being able to enchant the item again with the same.

Thanks for the help.

As mentioned above, @zymmer, there is no combat purpose in “re-enchanting” a staff with the exact same enchantment, weapon effect, and aspect strength.

Applying the glyph is just a waste of your resources ... and, indeed, the game has a preventative measure to protect you from losing the glyph itself.

Now if you wanted to enchant the staff with a different weapon effect or aspect strength you could totally take advantage of your enchanting skills and do that. Which the game would allow you to do.

Especially on dropped gear players like to change the enchantment ... because the default enchantment is either less desirable or doesn’t fit into the player’s overall build plan.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on June 30, 2020 2:17AM