Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

WINTERHOLD DLC

Asdara
Asdara
✭✭✭✭✭
As suggested by Turokos_Vampires in an old post from last year and regarding the fact that the next playable zone could contain Winterhold, let's talk about it.

Imagine being able to see Winterhold as a large city before the tidal wave not the shell we saw in Skyrim, the rise of the college of Winterhold leading to the great collapse we hear about in Skyrim (and that would take place around the time of eso).

f1c6ed077eb7d7056b7d4ab034d6ed0b.jpg

They're also some insane cosmetic opportunity that would give SO MUCH DEPTH and identity for the magicka user and even stamina:

- The college could give players the ability to "learn" destruction and restoration spells, giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell. Giving you the feeling of casting spells with your hands instead of relaying every time on a staff to cast everything (In skyrim i never used the staff for spells, only my hands.).

Skyrim-Screenshot-Destruction-Spells.jpg

- The ability to summon Atronach, aka combat pet skin. Both for warden and sorc (and maybe necro?)

1000px-Skyrim-Screenshot-Frost-Atronach.jpg

- Part of the conjuration ability/spell/cosmetic, you could summon weapon, adding to the fantasy of the "magblade" for all classes.

8EAOdld.png

- Also since Necromancy is allowed in the college it could mean some cosmetic addition for necromancers. Let me hear your ideas about that!

latest?cb=20120721024200

- Maybe it's the chance to do little dusting and add things to the mage guilds? More books? Rework the skill line?

2cc9cfec4ee219552d953c1ee78896dc.jpg

ZOS have here the chance to make a great dlc, telling the story teased in Skyrim and adding ability/spell/cosmetic that would really give player more choice on how they imagine and play with their character.

dbzma9rou93z.png

Now it's your turn! What are your ideas for an eventual Winterhold DLC

• NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As is forum tradition I will be the first: No, not gonna happen.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consensus seems to be we are going to Markarth and the the Reach but I would have much preferred Winterhold.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consensus seems to be we are going to Markarth and the the Reach but I would have much preferred Winterhold.

yeah... markarth and the reach feels so underwhelming...
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asdara wrote: »

ZOS have here the chance to make a great dlc, telling the story teased in Skyrim and adding ability/spell/cosmetic that would really give player more choice on how they imagine and play with their character.

Really great post and lots of unique ideas! Sadly here lies the problem, when was the last time Zos went all out like this on anything? They've had the chance to make great dlc, chapters, gameplay, but its always cut short most likely due to deadlines and profit margin as most companies operate.
  • dhboy123
    dhboy123
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather they spend time and money fixing the current game first. Alot of people are mentioning this is the worst it has been performance and stability wise for years.
  • Czekoludek
    Czekoludek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markarth have potential for nice trial and Reach might give us witch magic skill line. At least that would be cool, we will probably get only zone, 2 world bosses, 2 delves, one or two cities and "epic conclusion of year story"
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dhboy123 wrote: »
    I would rather they spend time and money fixing the current game first. Alot of people are mentioning this is the worst it has been performance and stability wise for years.

I would actually also prefer if they focus on performance, but they're bound to release a new playable zone at some point this year. So why not?
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4th DLC is Markarth. One of the reason is created path from western skyrim to markarth.
    Edited by DarkPicture on June 17, 2020 6:27PM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely not going to be Winterhold. They pretty much confirmed the Reach. I would be very surprised if it wasn't.

However anything else you bring up are valid discussion points for when Winterhold actually gets added. I am hoping for a chapter to be honest.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Sallymen
    Sallymen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about a Winterhold expansion. A friend and I had the following discussion points of what could be included in a Winterhold expansion/dlc

-The return Shalidor as a main story protagonist. Mages within the college are in conflict with each other based on magic practices and the proposal of banning Necromancy, conjuration, and illusion as schools of magic being taught.

-A trial inside the depths of The Midden where the antagonist is an Illusion mage

-Either a new class or skill line (Illusion or Alteration Skill Line)

-An Illusionist class with the three main skill lines: Reaction (Tanking, skill line where the ultimate causes a magic explosion that would enrage enemies to you or buff allies around you), Perception (Support/healing skill line. Activating this skill line's ultimate shrouds yourself or your allies in a calming mist that heals and silences enemies), and finally Demoralize (DPS skill line, the ultimate from this ability allows you to target one enemy to take more damage or target multiple enemies for less healing received)

But I am just excited to see a Winterhold in it's prime. It was a mystery I was curious about while playing Skyrim.
    Edited by Sallymen on June 17, 2020 6:47PM
    Current Undaunted Key Count: 4,902
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As nice as it is to return to Skyrim this year, I hope that we'll go somewhere else again next year. For the sake of variety and such.
    PC/EU
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of witches and dark magic in those parts of the woods of Winterhold DLC. Gamers be safe out there in new DLC zone territory I heard many many tales of "WereBaer".
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish it was Winterhold, but they already said it's going to be Markarth.
    PC EU
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sallymen wrote: »
    I was thinking about a Winterhold expansion. A friend and I had the following discussion points of what could be included in a Winterhold expansion/dlc

-The return Shalidor as a main story protagonist. Mages within the college are in conflict with each other based on magic practices and the proposal of banning Necromancy, conjuration, and illusion as schools of magic being taught.

-A trial inside the depths of The Midden where the antagonist is an Illusion mage

-Either a new class or skill line (Illusion or Alteration Skill Line)

-An Illusionist class with the three main skill lines: Reaction (Tanking, skill line where the ultimate causes a magic explosion that would enrage enemies to you or buff allies around you), Perception (Support/healing skill line. Activating this skill line's ultimate shrouds yourself or your allies in a calming mist that heals and silences enemies), and finally Demoralize (DPS skill line, the ultimate from this ability allows you to target one enemy to take more damage or target multiple enemies for less healing received)

But I am just excited to see a Winterhold in it's prime. It was a mystery I was curious about while playing Skyrim.

they not gonna give u a new class in small dlc zone and a full new story with shalidaor either. Another antagonist will be some new vampire lord and thats it.
  • maddiniiLuna
    maddiniiLuna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine they have all this capability, the ideas, the power.. And then they make a boring endless quest line where you know the result from the first mission on, like Greymoor. :)

• xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As nice as it is to return to Skyrim this year, I hope that we'll go somewhere else again next year. For the sake of variety and such.

It will be cyrodiil next year.
    Give us clannfear mounts!
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This idea sounds like stuff for a Chapter not a DLC
  • Ghostrunner24
    I kinda have a feeling that when we get a chapter for Whiterun and Dawnstar then the q4 update will be Winterhold. I do think that next year would be perfect for this since it will be the 10 year anniversary of TesV...
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For summoned weapons, how about a new Bound Weapon magic weapon skill line?

In order to get a Bound Weapon, you use the Atronach Forge in the Midden. Take the weapon of your choice (for example, let's say a Bow of Willpower), plug it into the Atronach Forge, and you'll get a Bound Bow of Willpower that uses the new skill line abilities instead of bow abilities and grants spell damage as its main stat.

Ionno. It's an idea.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    This idea sounds like stuff for a Chapter not a DLC

Agree with you, but didn't wanted to hope too big...
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    It's definitely not going to be Winterhold. They pretty much confirmed the Reach. I would be very surprised if it wasn't.

However anything else you bring up are valid discussion points for when Winterhold actually gets added. I am hoping for a chapter to be honest.

In a sense its a good thing, if its a chapter and not a dlc it won't be parasited by vampire/dark/witches thing that fit more the reach than winterhold... well.
    But some of my idea shouldnt have to wait until an enventual winterhold dlc, like combat pet skin, it would resolve the problem with the flappy bird in town and make so much money for zos if its crown store
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like Western Skyrim and I'm looking forward to the Reach. I'd love to see Falkreath Hold + Whiterun Hold as the next chapter and the Pale and Winterhold as the zone DLC next year. I don't think they'll do the same province two years in a row but 2021 is Skyrim's 10th anniversary. We'll know what the next chapter is in the Reach DLC as they always give hints.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Spellcrafting
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    • Spellcrafting
    Basically the only thing I really want at this point.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be nice to have Winterhold and it would be a great time to introduce traditional Elder Scrolls spells that we all know. Of course to balance things we'd have stamina morphs.

I would say ditch the spellcrafting system since it does not seem to be coming out and turn those spells into new Guild Lines and weapon lines like: Winterhold Mages Guild line, Conjuration Staff, Alteration Staff, Illusion Staff or you could do a Mysticism weapon line and have passives do different things based on if you have an alteration, illusion or conjuration staff.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I kinda have a feeling that when we get a chapter for Whiterun and Dawnstar then the q4 update will be Winterhold. I do think that next year would be perfect for this since it will be the 10 year anniversary of TesV...

Next Year is also the 15th Anniversary of Oblivion.
    Given all the Oblivion Referances in the Chapter. I think they are more in mind of doing more a Oblivion/Cyrodiil Style chapter then another Skyrim chapter/dlc.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Next Year is also the 15th Anniversary of Oblivion.
    Given all the Oblivion Referances in the Chapter. I think they are more in mind of doing more a Oblivion/Cyrodiil Style chapter then another Skyrim chapter/dlc.

Looking at the hint i'd say thats a possibility, and i'd prefer a full chapter for Winterhold and the mage guild.
    They MUST add spell crafting at some point its been announced for so long and i feel like everyone is waiting for this.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    • Spellcrafting

It would be the perfect context to release it in my opinion.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still holding out hope for Winterhold being the Q4 DLC, somehow! Markarth and The Reach? Already been there, done that, when I played Skyrim. Winterhold has yet to succumb to the Great Collapse due to ESO taking place two eras before it actually happens. ESO is our ONE chance of seeing what Winterhold was like in its former glory. So if we get ANY other location in Q4, it will be a HUGE letdown imo. Especially since we won't be going back to Skyrim again for awhile after having an entire year devoted to it.

It would also be terrible if they do to Winterhold what they did to Falkreath. Cause I wouldn't want Winterhold to just be a dungeon or trial either.

EDIT: Reach confirmed. ZOS, ya screwed up IMO.
    Edited by TonyRockaroni on August 16, 2020 5:02AM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS literally said live on stream during the Greymoor reveal, before this thread was even made, that Q4 was going to be set in The Reach. I am not sure why people think it is not going to be there, given the fact that ZOS has already told us in no uncertain terms where it will be set.

I reckon we'll finally be getting that Dwemer-style house BTW, as Markarth is of course built in Dwemer ruins, and the player home there in TESV was, you guessed it, a Dwemer ruin. Every building there is.

As for next year? Frequent hints towards Cyrodiil in Greymoor, as is typical for chapters now to hint at the next, a datamine revealing those Potentetates (spelling?) crates, with the crate art being blatantly Imperial, and the fact that Oblivion is indeed turning 15 next year...

There's also me assuming the pattern of a new class every two years to continue next year, and having looked at the history of the game, it is very interesting to note that as well as Warden having existed as a class during pre-release, there was also the Battlemage class. Now, Battlemage. Anyone who knows even the slightest bit of TES lore knows very well who these lads are and where they are based. Cyrodiil. They have an entire legion of them. And interestingly... That legion has been oddly absent thus far in ESO.

IDK, I just think that as well as the fact that next year is almost-certainly going to Cyrodiil, I also suspect that the Imperial Battlemage Legion might play a big part in whatever story is written for it. And if so, there will not be a better time to introduce the Battlemage class.

As for Winterhold? Oh I reckon we'll see it one day. But not next year. Unless, I think, the zone is handled more like Murkmire was. I do think it would be a standalone story. Heh, maybe even skip a dungeon DLC next year for it. Changes have happened before so you know, hardly impossible.

Of course all of this is simply theory based on what information is available to players, and none of what I have written is confirmed, other than the fact that ZOS has stated Q4 is going to be set in The Reach.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!