Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Harrowstorms are an un fun pain and a step backwards compared to similar incarnations.

• mbeetley_ESO
    mbeetley_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I want to make clear the problem I see with the "rewards" for Harrowstorms. Compare what you get from a Harrowstorm vs. what you get from a Dragon, an Abyssal Geyser, or a Dolmen. There's no comparison. From Dragons you ALWAYS get one of three items, an adventurer's pouch, a document pouch, or a heavy sack, PLUS all the other loot you get from the dragon, which can be substantial. From a Dolmen or an Abyssal geyser, you get loot from the creatures you kill, plus loot from the boss (if you do enough damage), plus loot from the dolmen chest or shell trove. From a Harrowstorm...you get four items. Usually it's a green piece of treasure, some ash, maybe some kind of crafting material...seriously? You have what appears to be a miniscule chance at a satchel (based on my experience and that of my wife, I'd be surprised if the drop rate on those was better than 10%), not to mention the fact that the satchels seem to contain Counterfeit Pardon Edicts more than anything else. You don't even get to loot the myriad enemies (sometimes in the DOZENS) that you kill. Not to mention the fact that Harrowstorms are significantly harder than dragons because of the fact that mini-bosses keep spawning if you can't close them fast enough.

IMHO, the difficulty is just fine. I don't mind that it takes a fair group of players with a lot of patience to bring them down (or a big group with serious dps to bring them down quickly). I just find they aren't worth the trouble. Waiting for a group to get there to help take down a dragon is fine - I know I'm gonna get something in return, even if it's just a thousand gold or so worth of junk to sell. I spend the time to take down a Harrowstorm, and I get...a couple of hundred gold most of the time? I just can't be bothered. I do the dailies sometimes for daily rewards, but I just can't see going to that much work for nothing more than the standard drops. Bring the rewards more in line with Dragons or Abyssal Geysers and you'll go a long way towards righting the ship.
  • Zephiran23
    Zephiran23
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to make clear the problem I see with the "rewards" for Harrowstorms. Compare what you get from a Harrowstorm vs. what you get from a Dragon, an Abyssal Geyser, or a Dolmen. There's no comparison. From Dragons you ALWAYS get one of three items, an adventurer's pouch, a document pouch, or a heavy sack, PLUS all the other loot you get from the dragon, which can be substantial. From a Dolmen or an Abyssal geyser, you get loot from the creatures you kill, plus loot from the boss (if you do enough damage), plus loot from the dolmen chest or shell trove. From a Harrowstorm...you get four items. Usually it's a green piece of treasure, some ash, maybe some kind of crafting material...seriously? You have what appears to be a miniscule chance at a satchel (based on my experience and that of my wife, I'd be surprised if the drop rate on those was better than 10%), not to mention the fact that the satchels seem to contain Counterfeit Pardon Edicts more than anything else. You don't even get to loot the myriad enemies (sometimes in the DOZENS) that you kill. Not to mention the fact that Harrowstorms are significantly harder than dragons because of the fact that mini-bosses keep spawning if you can't close them fast enough.

IMHO, the difficulty is just fine. I don't mind that it takes a fair group of players with a lot of patience to bring them down (or a big group with serious dps to bring them down quickly). I just find they aren't worth the trouble. Waiting for a group to get there to help take down a dragon is fine - I know I'm gonna get something in return, even if it's just a thousand gold or so worth of junk to sell. I spend the time to take down a Harrowstorm, and I get...a couple of hundred gold most of the time? I just can't be bothered. I do the dailies sometimes for daily rewards, but I just can't see going to that much work for nothing more than the standard drops. Bring the rewards more in line with Dragons or Abyssal Geysers and you'll go a long way towards righting the ship.

I was looking at exactly this yesterday. If you are quick, or loot mid-fight on the boss, you can get loot from the Coagulants. Most of the time those corpses are going to disappear before you can move over to them. Not sure what I picked up, I think it was a body part. Certainly doesn't make much sense that if deadra at dolmens can drop husks, werewolves can't drop hides at harrowstorms etc
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring the rewards more in line with Dragons or Abyssal Geysers and you'll go a long way towards righting the ship.

This has become painfully obvious with the Summerset event. Just a few geysers and my bags are packed with ornate and intricate weapons, set jewelry, weapons, and armor... motifs, recipes, furnishing plans, treasures, blue quality glyphs, valuable crafting materials and so forth. Doing harrowstorms is like trick or treating at a homeless camp by comparison.

Edited by Jaraal on July 24, 2020 7:27AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rewards is the main reason why I'm glad the daily was cut back to just one Harrowstorm, instead of three.

By now, it's hard enough to find enough people for *one* storm, never mind three. And then to get some useless green items that are, at best, good for deconstructing, that's really low.

I'll do the storms until I've finished with the ones that I need for the two achievements (which is more than enough), and then that's the last of it.

I'd rather do dragons or geysirs - there's defintely more of a 'reward' in there, than in a harrowstorm.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't done one in months. I hardly visit western skyrim anymore. It is actually the worse chapter zone so far. Blackreach is kind of cool though. Is it because of covid that it's so uninspired and tiresome.