The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Monopoly of public traders!

ThePlayer
ThePlayer
✭✭✭✭
I am currently with some big guilds pve, some of which until a few weeks ago managed to take the public merchant, but recently it seems almost impossible..me too bid for 100k in the lesser known merchants but nothing.
Someone will write, maybe someone with interests, to continue to bid every week and increase the amount of gold....not going to works in this way
It seems to me a rotten system, with no cooldown.
Is ZOS aware of all this? What kind of community are ZOS looking for this game?
A pve guild whose only hobby is to do trials and dungeons how much should bid at week to take the public trader? 500k gold, 1 million at week? ridiculous
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system is working fine, @ThePlayer.

Sorry to say that 100k is nothing these days when it comes to merchant stall bids.

On the bright side, there are many ways to generate more gold within your guild to get a better spot.

Events like raffles, auctions, and special farming events can vastly improve the guild bank monies for an upgraded guild stall.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 31, 2020 3:36PM
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A pve guild whose only hobby is to do trials and dungeons"

So why do you need a trader?

And yeah 100k is chump change at this point. Your guild could spend half an hour a week on clearing vAA twice and get more than double that from the undaunted plunder alone.
  • RT01100111
    RT01100111
    ✭✭✭
    In theory, those guilds that spend the most (1) lose all that money when they win the bid and (2) do not have guaranteed sales after winning the bid.
  • RT01100111
    RT01100111
    ✭✭✭
    How about this, introducing a new system to traders that exclude a few of the big guilds from remote traders.

City traders any guild size can bid on.

Country traders, any guild size under 200 can bid on?
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A pve guild loses in terms of money to a trading guild, wow you don't say.

Also, it's not a monopoly, people throw that word around a lot, and hardly do they ever understand what a monopoly actually is.
  • Nomad1098
    Nomad1098
    ✭✭✭
    I made 100k the other day grinding antiquities. Your bid was bad.
  • codierussell
    codierussell
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guild leader of my PVE guild puts 1 mil gold of her own into a bid each week in a random town outside the main areas and sometimes doesn't get it. 100k gold is like 30 minutes worth of work for me. I can run a DLC hard mode and get a motif that sells pretty fast for good gold.
  • codierussell
    codierussell
    ✭✭✭✭
    To add to that, PVE players don't make good gold until they can sell carries. We try to line up a carry once every couple weeks and it helps a ton raising money for traders.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, the main issue I have with the trading system is that players are locked out of it unless they're in a trading guild. A workaround for that is to have "guild neutral" traders that can't be bid on by guilds, but who can be used as selling points for any and all players of the game. The details of how that would work I don't care to speculate on because it'll never happen, but I wish it would...
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing daily writs for a week on 3 characters is 100k gold... It totally makes sense it wouldn't be enough to hire a trader.
    Edited by zvavi on May 31, 2020 8:07PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system is working fine, @ThePlayer.

Sorry to say that 100k is nothing these days when it comes to merchant stall bids.

On the bright side, there are many ways to generate more gold within your guild to get a better spot.

Events like raffles, auctions, and special farming events can vastly improve the guild bank monies for an upgraded guild stall.

Not on PC EU tonight, judging by the front page of the forum.
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100k is chump change. you'd be lucky if that got you a spot at an outlaw's refuge, especially since you can make that much in a couple hours if you know what you're doing.
    I dont want to disclose exact prices, but for top spots like Mournhold or Rawl'kha it can cost into the 7-8 digit range easily, and other places are just slightly less and less, and so on.

if you're not a trading guild, don't stress about a trader. upkeep cost will suck you dry faster than it'd grant returns at that rate anyways.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    even for second tier kiosks bids ~1.5+ million can't guarantee you a spot sometimes

100k... :D:D:D
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Eh, the main issue I have with the trading system is that players are locked out of it unless they're in a trading guild. A workaround for that is to have "guild neutral" traders that can't be bid on by guilds, but who can be used as selling points for any and all players of the game. The details of how that would work I don't care to speculate on because it'll never happen, but I wish it would...

Players in high-traffic trading guilds genuinely enjoy trading, @Starlock ... that's why they have the best spots.

If you don't enjoy high-traffic trading then there are a lot of good casual trading guilds out there.

Bottom Line: Being in a trading guild is more than just having a place to sell your stuff.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On PC/NA you can't even get standalone kiosk in the middle of nowhere for less than 1mil.
  • Foefaller
    Foefaller
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like what the trading system needs is buy orders, so those with no patience to trade can quickly sell off things they know to be valuable, rather than having to resign to deconstruction or selling to NPC vendors.

Of course, such a thing would bring us one step closer to making gross market manipulation a possibility, which I wouldn't be surprised if the guild trader system was designed to prevent.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Players in high-traffic trading guilds genuinely enjoy trading, @Starlock ... that's why they have the best spots.

If you don't enjoy high-traffic trading then there are a lot of good casual trading guilds out there.

Bottom Line: Being in a trading guild is more than just having a place to sell your stuff.

I'm sorry... how does this relate to what I said????
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ThePlayer wrote: »
    I am currently with some big guilds pve, some of which until a few weeks ago managed to take the public merchant, but recently it seems almost impossible..me too bid for 100k in the lesser known merchants but nothing.
    Someone will write, maybe someone with interests, to continue to bid every week and increase the amount of gold....not going to works in this way
    It seems to me a rotten system, with no cooldown.
    Is ZOS aware of all this? What kind of community are ZOS looking for this game?
    A pve guild whose only hobby is to do trials and dungeons how much should bid at week to take the public trader? 500k gold, 1 million at week? ridiculous

Let me put it to you this way there are members in trade guilds that can bring in more than 100K in taxes to the guilds coffers for the bid even after half their total sales tax goes into the gold sink.

Most trade guilds have a min weekly requirement, most I have been have been anything from 0 gold a week, 5 - 10K a week to 25K a week per member in raffle tickets or sales tax.

And then there are the trade guild auctions, where millions of gold is raised towards the weekly trade bid, I have seen winning bids on single lots as high as 4 million gold put up by a single member, in auctions with 30+ lots with almost every winning bit around the 100K mark at min.

For good traders a lot of members pay far over the minimum due to the high profits from good locations.

True a lot of this is in good locations with guilds near capacity but the reality is there are a lot of dedicated semi dedicated trade guilds out there, with a lot more gold to spend than your guild that badly want a trader, while they may not all have the gold to go for the good spots, they can certainly raise enough gold to outbid any non trade guild.

My advice have your members that seek to trade use one of their 5 guild slots to join a trade guild, or do what one of the guilds I am in does have completely optional gold donation to the guild bank with all the gold raised getting put towards a trader bid each week, if it wins they get a trader if it doesn't they try again next week.
  • EllieBlue
    EllieBlue
    ✭✭✭✭
    100K? Toto, we're no longer in 2014.
    Nirn Traders GM (est 2015)
    PC EU
    Semi-retired. Playing games for fun. Super casual.
  • ThePlayer
    ThePlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can laugh as much as you want but i took the merchant in Elden Root for 70k in the past.
    I recently took them for 80k, up to 3 weeks ago, in other locations.
    Now i laugh :D
    The idea of leaving some spots only for the pve/pvp guilds and keeping the trading guilds away is excellent, ZOS do it!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To add to that, PVE players don't make good gold until they can sell carries. We try to line up a carry once every couple weeks and it helps a ton raising money for traders.

We don't?

What do you consider to be "good gold"? I've never sold a carry. I've never done a quest in Craglorn. When I bother to sell stuff, I sell the flowers, bait, and tempers I've gathered while doing quests/pve stuff. Without filling one guild's trader slots, I'll get around 65k. I'm in one trading guild, 2 social guilds atm, none of them have required dues and all of them have traders.If I bothered to fill all the slots, or put out recipes/blueprints for more than guild friendly prices I'd end up with a lot more.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'll have to let two of my gms know they are locked out of the trading system. They won't believe me, since both the casual social guilds got their traders, again, but I'll let them know.
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trading guids are the perfect gold sink.

If there wasn't this kind of gold sink, people would have billions of gold. Unknown what would happen to the economy, but chances are that slightly rare crafting materials would be priced out of range for players with less than three years of collecting gold.

There would be no middle class. Just poor players who can't afford anything, and uber rich players who can afford everything.
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about putting good old Auction house so people can sell their junk and so you can enjoy the game more, and grind less for merchant cartels.

Edited by RefLiberty on June 1, 2020 1:05PM
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ps4 Na main city bids are like 5-10mil
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bids keep rising because there's still an excess of free gold in the system. Under normal circumstances, the gold sink would correct this problem.

But then they realized there's money to be made if you just make crown store items giftable, and ah, look, more free gold in the system. Sneaky.
    Edited by pauli133 on June 1, 2020 1:24PM
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The cost of running a trade guild is immense - crazy immense. No-one is getting rich running a trade guild, that's for sure!

In most eyes the costs are out of control, but they are what the market demands. For a lot of people Trade is the reason to be in the game. If you're not serious about Trade, there's no need to have a trade kiosk and no reason to bid on one. If you want to trade, or just dip your toes into the trade potential offered by the game, just join a decent trade guild (there are lots of them - too many, probably).

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »
    Trading guids are the perfect gold sink.

If there wasn't this kind of gold sink, people would have billions of gold. Unknown what would happen to the economy, but chances are that slightly rare crafting materials would be priced out of range for players with less than three years of collecting gold.

There would be no middle class. Just poor players who can't afford anything, and uber rich players who can afford everything.

You describe the present players very well, non-traders and traders respectively.
  • KyraCROgnon
    KyraCROgnon
    ✭✭✭
    or if you want a trader, just wait for next major fail from ZO and just walk into Craglorn around trader swap time to get one for free...
    Seems to be a valid strategy lately :/
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »
    How about putting good old Auction house so people can sell their junk and so you can enjoy the game more, and grind less for merchant cartels.

I would be OK with an AH if there was a 50% tax.