The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Proudspire Manor, and ESO housing in general, just blows my mind. Staggeringly overpriced blandness

• AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    I understand everyone has their opinion but mine is that the house is great and made to be like the original home in Skyrim, with all new furnishings. I'm very happy it's avaialable both ways and I feel that the housing community has been listened to because of its limits and rooms. I personally love both types of houses, the notable places and smaller places for different reasons. I think more features will probably be added over time. I haven't tried WOW's garrisons because I stopped playing just prior but they didn't inspire me at the time but I'll look into them and maybe if there's good ideas to be had why not? I get the feeling it's a very differen't kind of home though.

oh, I LOVE the size of the home. Personally I wish they would do more medium and small home additions beyond the 15/30 inn rooms and the Large 300/600 that have been released with content (Proudspire, Alinor townhouse) I am just not a fan of the stone color choice. it doesn't feel nord to me and is a closer color palette to redguard and elsweyr stone. i doubt the stone it suddenly going to change type to grey from peach/beige in 900 years, you know? lol that was my big issue with it and the yard is kinda bad the way they laid that out. but I AM happy they gave us more realistically sized rooms for sure!
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)
    Alt's? at this point...so many to play, so little time!

**RED or DEAD** Long Live EP!

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
    Master Furnisher & Housing fanatic, PvP junkie
    Beta Tester, part of the 2013 Club
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I was touring the furnished version of Proudspire. I admit that I am not a housing person on here, but is it normal for the chairs and benches to be just for looks, no option to sit?

sometimes the system does not place them correctly. you have to go into the Editor screen and reset them so they show Green when you put it down. if it isn't on the ground, is sunken into the ground, or has another object on or too close to it, it will not light up green. green = interaction is possible. Yellow= item SHOULD be intractable but you have not positioned it in such a way that it will work.

EDIT** Apologies I didn't see at first that you were just touring a preview as mentioned by another, you need to own the home to interact with the items.
    Edited by AyeshaBelladonna on June 10, 2020 4:49PM
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    I was touring the furnished version of Proudspire. I admit that I am not a housing person on here, but is it normal for the chairs and benches to be just for looks, no option to sit?

Once you own the house you can sit on the chairs/benches.

You can't sleep in the beds unless you do the /sleep emote, though and you can't even do that on the canopy style beds.

Dark Elf Canopy bed you can. also, for those using the /sleep or /sleep2 (laying on side or back respectively) you will always lie down with your head to the right of where you are facing. so if you face north and do a /sleep you will wind up perpendicular with your head then too the east. just a small /sleep tip.
    NA EP CP1200+

• volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think houses are too much. I won't buy notables anymore because you can't furnish them completely anyway. I happen to like traditional looking houses over the gothic or daedric looking ones as i can make them look like homes.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [Snip] A majority of the housing community is unhappy with the general neglect by ZOS of this cash cow.
    1) Most of the homes are just stripped versions of a building in the zone they are in. They dont even put any real effort into most of them.
    2) The furnishing limits are way to low for large and notables ( and most mediums) You run out of slots before you even get it half completed.
    3) When we got the Homestead feature we were under the impression that they would be releasing future GOLD homes. Most newly released homes have been crown homes with very little given to those who dont buy crowns and to those who want smaller homes( example: why not 3 small homes in a zone instead of one notable?)
    4) Many of the crown homes are limited release. For example Grand Topal Hideaway is like a single weekend in the spring and that is it. They think this artificially drives demand... it actually just annoys their customers.
    5) Homes are fine for decorating but they do lack functionality many of us would like to have. For example fishing in ones that have water, the ability to plant gardens or crops, some would like way shrines in their home, some would like to be able to store stuff in furniture., etc.

Overall they put just enough effort into it( almost none) in order to get people to buy crowns, which is basically how ZOS runs the entire game. Just enough effort to get people to open their wallet and that is it.

[Edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on June 11, 2020 4:06PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Once you own the house you can sit on the chairs/benches.

You can't sleep in the beds unless you do the /sleep emote, though and you can't even do that on the canopy style beds.

Dark Elf Canopy bed you can. also, for those using the /sleep or /sleep2 (laying on side or back respectively) you will always lie down with your head to the right of where you are facing. so if you face north and do a /sleep you will wind up perpendicular with your head then too the east. just a small /sleep tip.

Good to know re. the Dark Elf bed (haven't used that one).

I was thinking more of most (all?) of the other four poster type beds - the Nord, Redguard and Elsweyr ones, for example.

Yeah, the sleep emote is a weird one!

You would think you would just lie down in the direction you are facing, but no.
    Edited by Tigerseye on June 12, 2020 7:55PM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Snip] A majority of the housing community is unhappy with the general neglect by ZOS of this cash cow.
    1) Most of the homes are just stripped versions of a building in the zone they are in. They dont even put any real effort into most of them.
    2) The furnishing limits are way to low for large and notables ( and most mediums) You run out of slots before you even get it half completed.
    3) When we got the Homestead feature we were under the impression that they would be releasing future GOLD homes. Most newly released homes have been crown homes with very little given to those who dont buy crowns and to those who want smaller homes( example: why not 3 small homes in a zone instead of one notable?)
    4) Many of the crown homes are limited release. For example Grand Topal Hideaway is like a single weekend in the spring and that is it. They think this artificially drives demand... it actually just annoys their customers.
    5) Homes are fine for decorating but they do lack functionality many of us would like to have. For example fishing in ones that have water, the ability to plant gardens or crops, some would like way shrines in their home, some would like to be able to store stuff in furniture., etc.

Overall they put just enough effort into it( almost none) in order to get people to buy crowns, which is basically how ZOS runs the entire game. Just enough effort to get people to open their wallet and that is it.

[Edited for bait]

So all of this. I couldn't possibly agree more. And I wouldn't mind the lazy copy/paste reuse of existing assets if they'd actually give us the ones I'd like to have! LOL All the cold white marble of Summerset is just kind of offputting. Yet they have GORGEOUS homes throughout the zone that are constructed out of stone, have nice floorplans, and are genuinely cozy-looking and feel like actual HOMES. Did we get a single one of THOSE? Nope. Virtually every zone has a fighters guild and mages guild hall that would make GREAT homes and a lot of people would love to have them AS fighter and mage guild structures. I've long wished I could have At-Tura in Stormhaven as well as the other castles there.

And I'm woefully disappointed with the home offerings in Greymoor. I do love Proudspire. But what I genuinely wanted was an actual CASTLE in that style. It's absolutely classic castle styling and if they'd given us a castle out of those materials similar in scale to Daggerfall Overlook I'd have snatched it up on two accounts regardless of the ridiculous price. But instead the Notable home 24 player home is going to be that utterly bizarre monstrosity in Blackreach. While the interior rooms are lovely the floorplan is just a disjointed nightmare with no rhyme or reason. And I keep wondering if the housing design team has ever once looked at an actual floorplan for any kind of building at all.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'll put real money into housing, wich I love, when they:

- Make Vivec pack available again.
    - Make housing useful, like adding the option of having wayshrines or alts (something I have already suggested and explained many times).
    - Increase furnishing limits for all homes.
    Edited by TelvanniWizard on June 19, 2020 3:12PM
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point of housing is different for everyone. Some will place items and call it a day but the majority of the housing fans make custom builds. Having both options is content.

A non housing geek wouldn't be interested in anything of that sort anyway, so why complain about what others put their time and money into?

There's an entire wishlist thread of housing items and homes. This list has been viewed by ZOS and some ideas have been slowly making their way into the game.
    Edited by dcam86b14_ESO on June 19, 2020 7:59PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The point of housing is different for everyone. Some will place items and call it a day but the majority of the housing fans make custom builds.

Not sure that is true.

Pretty sure most people place things in existing homes more than they build homes from scratch.

Might be different if the item caps for empty plots were higher and there were more extensive structural item options, but they are both what they are.

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The point of housing is different for everyone. Some will place items and call it a day but the majority of the housing fans make custom builds.
    Not sure that is true.
    Pretty sure most people place things in existing homes more than they build homes from scratch.

Might be different if the item caps for empty plots were higher and there were more extensive structural item options, but they are both what they are.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Most of my guildies who enjoy houses enjoy furnishing pre-made homes. They often talk in guild chat when they buy a new house and tell us when they finished it, inviting people to look at it. It almost never has custom built houses.

I'm not a member in a housing guild (only PvE, trading, and social guilds), so the situation may be different in purely housing guilds. But based on what I've seen I doubt that most housing fans make custom builds.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Not sure that is true.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Most of my guildies who enjoy houses enjoy furnishing pre-made homes. They often talk in guild chat when they buy a new house and tell us when they finished it, inviting people to look at it. It almost never has custom built houses.

I'm not a member in a housing guild (only PvE, trading, and social guilds), so the situation may be different in purely housing guilds. But based on what I've seen I doubt that most housing fans make custom builds.

Yes.

Also, I'm getting a little bit tired of this insinuation that "placing things" is the inferior option.

If "placing things" was so easy, then interior designers wouldn't be a thing and everyone's house would look equally good...
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, given that ESO is not a CK for Skyrim and there are no building assets as walls (with doorways and windows), roofs, ceilings, towers, doors, stairs, etc, there are simply no means to create custom buildings looking good enough compared to already existing houses.

"I love Argonian architecture. Who needs nails and hard angles? Just pile up some slop and call it a house!"
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • goddess2015
    goddess2015
    ✭✭✭
    Chryseia wrote: »
    If you don't like the houses they provide, you can always make your own custom structures or fully reskin existing structures. It would make it unique. Plus cobbling is fun.
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

^^all are either full custom builds or full reskins that entirely transform the original property. None of them actually show the original homes actually, except some of the mud in the treehouse shot is the exterior walls of the original house.

and if you dont like the furniture, well, you can make your own as well:
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

^^is not a decor in the game, but 14 decors and 2 undaunted busts put together to make one piano. You can do this for pretty much anything you want to make - its a lot of fun.

So... no, I am not disappointed generally with the housing options, so long as I am given a sufficient ceiling height to work with. I'm just going to put my own stamp on it anyways.

This piano is lovely! You did an awesome job!!
    ~Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.~
  • goddess2015
    goddess2015
    ✭✭✭
    I actually I love this house! and the new furniture! Lots of room and good walls and floors for paintings, tapestries or for creativity such as building planters and bathrooms etc. The new sconces are very bright, so the lighting is great! It's not overly large so I was able to spend quite a lot of tiny detail in every room and an abundance of flowers, plants and shrubbery both inside and out. I built some wonderful planters full of color and it's very lovely. I added lots of color and I just love it. I am a big fan of decorating/crafting furniture and building/creating things. This house offered lots of opportunity for creativity with tiny details. Very happy with it! I have 18 characters...14/18 have their own home decorated to suit their owner's personality. Proudspire Manor turned out great! With all the stone, woodwork, scrollwork designs I don't think it's bland at all, it's just empty of personality till someone puts their own creative touch in it. I'm ok with the cost too. I have eso+ and also buy crowns in bulk when on sale. =)
    ~Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.~
  • goddess2015
    goddess2015
    ✭✭✭
    Chryseia wrote: »
    If you don't like the houses they provide, you can always make your own custom structures or fully reskin existing structures. It would make it unique. Plus cobbling is fun.
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

^^all are either full custom builds or full reskins that entirely transform the original property. None of them actually show the original homes actually, except some of the mud in the treehouse shot is the exterior walls of the original house.

and if you dont like the furniture, well, you can make your own as well:
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

^^is not a decor in the game, but 14 decors and 2 undaunted busts put together to make one piano. You can do this for pretty much anything you want to make - its a lot of fun.

So... no, I am not disappointed generally with the housing options, so long as I am given a sufficient ceiling height to work with. I'm just going to put my own stamp on it anyways.

This piano is lovely! You did an awesome job!!
  • goddess2015
    goddess2015
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry didn't mean to post that twice!
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so I have almost finished furnishing Proudspire now, other than the downstairs bedroom (which is still full of junk!).

I will still add a few more Solitude items, for flavour, as I get them, but not that many more.

On the whole, my feelings about Proudspire are extremely positive.

Nice house, with decent symmetry (regarding placement of windows etc.), attractive architectural details (e.g. stonework) and a generous furnishing slot allowance.

My main complaint, however, is that there are two whole sections of space, inexplicably, missing on the ground (street level) floor.

The first could (and should, in my opinion) have been another alcove, opposite the alcove at the bottom of the stairs (as there is an empty gap between the wall opposite that alcove and the wall of the bedroom).

Which would have been great, as we could then have placed all the crafting stations in the two alcoves.

As it is, I can only fit four of them in the one alcove.

Meaning I now have to choose between having an enchanting station and an alchemy station in the corridor opposite the alcove, or losing the entire downstairs bedroom to a crafting room.

The latter would be tidier (especially as it's supposed to be an inn, with patrons walking through that area), but would mean a longer run to the crafting area.

Which could have been avoided with the two alcoves opposite each other and a couple of Vampiric Dividers to screen them off.

There is also a section of space missing to the right of the street level door, with no explanation as to why on the exterior of the building.

In other words, there is no door or anything, on the outside of the house, indicating another use for this space.

Although this bothers me less than the other missing space, it would have been nice to have both spaces, as there would have been enough slots to furnish them both.

So, to sum up, mostly positive, but with a regret, or two.
    Edited by Tigerseye on June 21, 2020 4:17PM
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »
    Still, I don't understand why houses, of all things, are not all available at all time. I'm sure LOTS of people would get the Colossal Aldmeri Grotto or the Grand Topal Hideway or Hunter's Glade if they had the option. " though.

Marketing has discovered that people are more likely to buy, when faced with a limited time offer.
    It's the same reason why the McRib is popular. When it was just a menu item, no one cared and it didn't sell.
    With the houses the FOMO pushes people that don't really need it into purchasing it. Its the same logic behind crown crates, and apex mounts. You'll eventually have hundreds or thousands spent on crates for items you rarely use.
    Edited by kyle.wilson on June 21, 2020 4:36PM
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If housing wasnt so limited i might participate in it more.
    The way it works make it less interesting then if we were able to create our own houses from scratch.
    Also the item limits make it even less good than it could be.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Still, I don't understand why houses, of all things, are not all available at all time. I'm sure LOTS of people would get the Colossal Aldmeri Grotto or the Grand Topal Hideway or Hunter's Glade if they had the option. " though.
    Marketing has discovered that people are more likely to buy, when faced with a limited time offer.
    It's the same reason why the McRib is popular. When it was just a menu item, no one cared and it didn't sell.
    With the houses the FOMO pushes people that don't really need it into purchasing it.
    dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg
    Limited Time Offers only work on people who are already on the fence about the item.
    There have been tons of LTO pets, and I have bought exactly 0 of them because I don't care.
    I've seen Pariah's and Erstwhile return at least 3 times, haven't bought it a single time.

So yes, maybe LTOs manage to convince a small number of people who were already considering buying the item to buy the item for sure... but how many potential buyers does the item lose out on because it was only available for 7 days? There are tons of 'I would like to buy this ZOS, bring it back' threads that are purchasing willingness and ability going to waste, and many of these players may even stop playing ESO by the time their items would return.

a) Players who won't buy the item at all because they simply don't care for it
    b) Players who buy the item only because it was limited time but wouldn't otherwise
    c) Players who bought it as limited time but would have bought it anyway because they like the item
    d) Players on the remaining 358 days who would totally buy the item but can't do so because they weren't playing when the LTO was removed from the Crown store, because they didn't log in during the sale, because they didn't have Crowns then, etc.

Is group B greater than D? I don't think so. So I really doubt LTOs are worth it.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With the houses the FOMO pushes people that don't really need it into purchasing it.
    dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg
    Limited Time Offers only work on people who are already on the fence about the item.
    There have been tons of LTO pets, and I have bought exactly 0 of them because I don't care.
    I've seen Pariah's and Erstwhile return at least 3 times, haven't bought it a single time.

So yes, maybe LTOs manage to convince a small number of people who were already considering buying the item to buy the item for sure... but how many potential buyers does the item lose out on because it was only available for 7 days? There are tons of 'I would like to buy this ZOS, bring it back' threads that are purchasing willingness and ability going to waste, and many of these players may even stop playing ESO by the time their items would return.

a) Players who won't buy the item at all because they simply don't care for it
    b) Players who buy the item only because it was limited time but wouldn't otherwise
    c) Players who bought it as limited time but would have bought it anyway because they like the item
    d) Players on the remaining 358 days who would totally buy the item but can't do so because they weren't playing when the LTO was removed from the Crown store, because they didn't log in during the sale, because they didn't have Crowns then, etc.

Is group B greater than D? I don't think so. So I really doubt LTOs are worth it.

Totally agree with you.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I really doubt LTOs are worth it.

Sure, LTO can get the fence sitters off the fence, and for that reason, Marketing is all thumbs up.

However, there are two points that were not covered.

1. Artificial scarcity. Not every player has every item that has been available in the Store. Few players will have everything that is available from the store. Most players will never have anything close to every item. Most players probably do not care, but some do, and marketing likes that because...
    2. Fear of missing out. If sitting on the fence, and staying there, results in a player never having the item, that will put more weight on the purchase, and also increase the price someone will pay. While FOMO does not impact everyone, and even those who are impacted are not impacted the same, it can certainly give players something to think about. If someone has an OCD about collections, ZOS exploits it here.

This opens the door for a Group E, which is a modification to Group B. These are the players that may not really want it, so they are not strictly Group C, yet they don't want to be in Group D because they may want it later.

e) Players who buy the item only because it was limited time and they believed this was their only chance to get it.

Edited by Elsonso on June 21, 2020 7:15PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I really doubt LTOs are worth it.
    However, there are two points that were not covered.
    There were several points that were not covered. Mostly because I didn't want to go into details on an unrelated thread. But I think b) covered your e) already. At least, for all intents and purposes they seem to be the same. Anyway, here's a more detailed comment about the LTOs and some other aspects that play into them as well.
    Yes, absolutely agree. :confused: ZOS's 'Limited Time Offer' mentality always seemed like a wasteful business model to me. They are assuming that an item will generate more profit over a 4 days LTO than it would over 365 days.

From any Crown Store item's perspective, players fall into these groups:
    1. Players who will never buy it because they don't want it under any condition
    2. Players who buy it only because it was 'limited time' but would not want it if it wasn't scarce
    3. Players who buy it and would have bought it anyway even if was common because they like the item
    4. Players who would buy the item in the remaining 361 days of the year, but missed out on its brief limited time sale (didn't log in during the 4 days it was available, didn't have Crowns at that time, they weren't even playing the game yet when the item was available, etc.)
    So it comes down to ZOS's assumption that Group 2 outweighs Group 4. Which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Because, let's be realistic here, of all the players who would ever pay for that item, how many did that 4-day LTO reach? How many would-be-buyers were taking a break and didn't log in during those 4 days? How many items did potential customers miss out on, just because the items were put up for 4 days and then removed, before they even joined the game? How many of the players who would buy the item right then and there had the funds to convert that willingness into a successful sale?

LTOs lose out on the majority of their potential customers, and they also prevent players from making impulse purchases since they can't act on their purchasing willingness when ZOS refuses to sell them a whole bunch of things they would happily pay for. :neutral: There are also some other possible things we could consider that might play a role in this, so I'll put them behind a spoiler tag, but I still think their LTOs are costing them more than whatever they're gaining through them.
    1) ZOS may think that LTOs force players to buy Crowns at full price as opposed to waiting for discounts if the item is available for a long time. But again, to assume that this group outweighs all their other losses is probably wrong.

Of the players who would buy the item but have no Crowns for it, how many will be able to buy Crowns on the spot, and how many will be unable to do so until they get their paycheck or their Christmas money from the parents or whatever? Many players also only use their ESO+ Crowns, never actually buy any, so if they already spent their Crowns and see a LTO they would like, they won't buy more Crowns, but instead will have 1650 Crowns leftover unspent next month because the item they would have wanted is no longer available. 'Wants LTO, has no Crowns' may translate into 'Won't buy LTO' more often than into 'Will buy Crowns'. Also many people only buy Crowns during a sale anyway and stock up 5-figure amounts then, but never buy full-priced Crowns.

2) ZOS may think that leaving items in the Crown Store longer reduces demand for them since players will have more options. There's probably merit to this assumption, but I don't think it makes up for all the impulse purchases they lose out on.

For example if ZOS put up a basic Dunmer dress on the CS without a LTO, some players may wait with the purchase and then lose interest if ZOS put up a fancy Dunmer dress as well and buy that instead; while they may have bought a basic dress during a LTO out of fear of missing out, and then later bought the fancier version too. But there's also a group of players who would buy every single dress they can (because purdy dresses, duh :wink: ) even if they're not LTO. And then on top of that there's the accumulative total of every single player ever since that LTO who felt like buying Dunmer dresses but couldn't because they were removed. So again, the balance isn't on ZOS's side, I think.

3) ZOS probably greatly overestimates the role that 'scarcity' plays in Crown Store purchases.

There have been plenty of 'LTO' Pets, but I haven't bought any because I'm not interested. So 'scarcity' won't convert players from Group 1 into Group 2. A rubbish item (subjective) won't suddenly become attractive just because it's available for 4 days only. So the 'LTO' only works on people who were already on the fence about the item. And they're disregarding loads of 'Yes I would absolutely buy that item if it was available' customers in favour of the 'Maybe they'll be swayed by the LTO time pressure to buy the item' crowd. That doesn't add up to me.

4) ZOS think that the demand generated by a short LTO's 'Don't miss out! Buy now! Last chance!!!' psychology outweighs all the lost 'Ooh, shiny, I want it and I want it now' impulse purchases over the rest of the year.

Players who join the game and see the huge number of cosmetics and houses online may be totally excited and willing to buy sooo many of those cool things!!! But... can they? No, 80% of Crown Store items are permanently unavailable. Even old players, who get in the mood for some cosmetics that would be perfect can't act on those impulses. They can't buy Imperial dresses for their new Imperial character that they're leveling... and by the time those LTOs return again (if they do at all), they might be over their Imperial alt, or found a new ingame Outfit that works better, or maybe even stopped playing entirely.

Personally for example I would have bought Erstwhile Sanctuary when I was leveling my Dunmer NB through the Dark Brotherhood, but since it wasn't returning for so long, I eventually settled for Velothi Reverie. I bought it with gold, and over time customized it so much in a way that is perfect for me that I now don't even want Estwhile any more as I just see many issues since the haze of the impulse purchase lifted from my eyes. :tongue:

((Anyway, sorry for the post length, I'm just confused as to why ZOS insist on LTOs when there are tons of frustrated threads already about people wanting to buy items - if only ZOS would let them, lol!!! If an economist or business person can explain to us how ZOS's LTOs make any sense, please do!))

tl;dr: Basically, the LTO system leads to player frustration most of the time, loses out on plenty of impulse purchases, and the demand generated by the time pressure probably doesn't make up for the fact that most Crown Store items never reach the majority of their target demographic, but instead just end up gathering pixel dust on a pixel shelf after only a couple of days of market time.
    If I was a Crown Store dev at ZOS I would be really annoyed that my creations are only sold for 4 days, after which ZOS flushes down my hard work and all potential profits down the drain. :lol:

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big housing fan, and I don't understand those who defend the state of it in this thread. The OP is right in that houses are indeed extremely overpriced (especially those that are are reused assets from existing structures), and there should always be a choice to get them with in-game gold, not wait years for something not crown-exclusive. Plus, all the recent releases have been extremely spacious, with no hope of ever making the most of all the areas with the current slot limit. ESO housing has a lot of great potential, it's incredibly creative and fun, but let's not kid ourselves that they're not blatantly milking it for all it's worth.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I'm a big housing fan, and I don't understand those who defend the state of it in this thread. The OP is right in that houses are indeed extremely overpriced (especially those that are are reused assets from existing structures), and there should always be a choice to get them with in-game gold, not wait years for something not crown-exclusive. Plus, all the recent releases have been extremely spacious, with no hope of ever making the most of all the areas with the current slot limit. ESO housing has a lot of great potential, it's incredibly creative and fun, but let's not kid ourselves that they're not blatantly milking it for all it's worth.

I don't think most people are disagreeing that a lot of the houses (especially the max sized ones) can be oversized for the furnishing limit and overpriced.

In fact, most of us have been complaining about that for years...

However, Proudspire just doesn't happen to fall into either of those categories.

If anything, it could have been slightly bigger (or could have had less of its floor space blocked off) for its furnishing limit.

I have almost finished it and am still below the 500 mark.

600 will allow me to fill up the behind bar area and add a few more details to the terrace and to the house in general.

Being able to add so much detail is unusual, except in the case of the two Nord ones (Mistveil and Grymharth's) and the (Crown-only) Snowglobe.

The price isn't low - they never are - but it's not that high, either.

1m is doable within a few weeks/a month or two, for most end game players.

I ended up buying it with Crowns, though, as I wanted most of the paintings.

Now I have no Crowns left for furnishings, but a friend has some spare ones to sell.

So, fortunately, it's working out OK, so far. :smile: