Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Noob needs character building help

SgtPow3rs
SgtPow3rs
Hi,
Short introduction. I got into TES after playing Skyrim, love this fantasy universe. My brother tried to talk me into WoW for like 5-10 years but I never really like'd it. This is really my first MMORPG. First things I noticed this isn't like Skyrim at all. I got pretty overwhelmed with all the info. I just arrived at the first town and did a few quests to get a feel of the game. Fun so far.

But now my first major 'problem'. I don't understand the character building. Like I said, this isn't, for example, Skyrim, where you decide to go for 2handed, bow, stealth, magic etc. How does this work in TESO? I don't know where to invest all my points into, and I don't want to waste them already. I saw several other players with swords but also using magic.

Can someone explain this to me, or is there somewhere a good overview of what you can become. And really, this is absolutely new for me.
Thank you.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New players are encouraged to enjoy the game first, @SgtPow3rs, without getting too caught up in the character build.

Most players choose stamina or magicka depending on their chosen playstyle for that character ... and build up from there.

Staves are generally used for magicka characters. Other weapons, such as 2H, bow, 1H+Shield, are generally used for stamina characters.

Don't worry about choosing the wrong skills. You can always respec your skill points by visiting a rededication shrine in one of the capital cities. You can respec as often as you want ... the price is 50 gold per skill.

See my signature below for examples of "what you can become". I play pretty much every playstyle (though I enjoy some playstyles more than others).

Of course, there is a mammoth amount of online guides as well. Make sure you're looking for 2020 guides as many can be outdated.
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Thanks, Taleof2Cities.

I'm more of a bow and sword type, certainly not magic. Any advice on that playstyle? Oh, and I play as an Dark elf, and I think my class was Dragonknight. When I look up what a Dragonknight is I got confused,
    "These skillful masters-at-arms use the ancient Akaviri martial arts tradition of battle-spirit, and wield fearsome magic that pounds" A knight that uses magic, thats new to me.

I totally agree with you to just play the game, but I have this feeling when I'm level 20 or so that I have this character that hasn't any focus on some kind of strenght, but a mix of everything.

There are some great guids on YouTube, several take hours to watch, but I have no patience for that.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, at low levels, it does not take much effort to do quests so I would not stress. I always level up all skills to the morph point and focus on just leveling.

The basics To2C mentioned concerning going mag or stam are helpful while leveling and you will get to know what skills do what. I would suggest finding an active social guild as you will find people who can help you when needed.

As for your second post, Dragonknight is pure melee regardless of being magicka or stam. Even with a bow and daggers you still melee.

If you want to get an idea of builds for once you have leveled up I would suggest looking at Alcast's site. Understand it is not a bible and most of the builds are not meta. But it does give some good ideas of end game builds, CP at various stages of leveling up CP. However, little of that is very helpful until you get your first character to Lvl 50. Understand, you cannot really use these builds at Lvl 20.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For bow and sword, my advice is to put all of your attribute points into stamina, zero into health/magicka unless you're a tank. (If you're a tank, then you might consider some points in health and magicka as well.) For non-tanks, if you decide you need any extra health you can always add a health glyph to a piece of clothing, although a lot of times that isn't necessary.
    Getting your stamina as high as possible will help with the amount of damage you will do, because a lot of your skills will scale off of your maximum stamina.

Wearing at least five pieces of medium armor will help a huge amount with the amount of damage you'll be able to do, because you'll be able to unlock a bunch of nice passives that will help you kill stuff.

I'm super tired and about to go to bed, so hopefully I didn't put anything in this post that makes me sound like a drunk Nord. LOL.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend going through some guides and information.

This is a sort of a wiki on Elder Scrolls, with a dedicated ESo section:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online

This is one the most popular and in my opinion if not the best, then defintiely one of the best guide websites for ESO:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-beginner-guides/
    Edited by Watchdog on May 8, 2020 9:31AM
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Thank you all, this will help me into the right direction. I will checkout those websites.

I will probably find answers to the following questions on these guids/websites, but why should I not put points into health? And this 'tank' build uses sword or bow combined with magic? I always thought you go either with sword/bow, or magic.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SgtPow3rs wrote: »
    Thank you all, this will help me into the right direction. I will checkout those websites.

I will probably find answers to the following questions on these guids/websites, but why should I not put points into health? And this 'tank' build uses sword or bow combined with magic? I always thought you go either with sword/bow, or magic.

In this game, Sword and Board is pretty much a PvE Tank Weapon. You can do damage with the weapon, but you can do so much more with other weapons.

With this game, all damage scales from Stamina or Magic. You go all in with one or the other. Health Scales Shields. A true Tank will use Health to stay alive in a Boss Fight, but a Tank does not need large amounts of Stamina or Magic. A tank does not do much damage by themselves, but can boost the Group's damage significantly. So, tank gameplay is a specific path. Its fun to be a Tank, but only in Groups.

Now, there are Tanky builds out there that sacrifice damage for surviveability. These exist mostly in PvP.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to post some general tips in this thread for you, starting with, have fun, play the game, do quests, get lost in the story. Builds only matter once you get to CP160 and are getting ready for end game content:

While leveling you should be preparing your self for the future, not your build (as that will change). So:

1. While leveling, have one class skill from each class on your bars at all times. Classes level the slowest, so get them done now.
    2. Have at least one weapon skill on your bar at all times
    3. Have a flex or support skill you want to level at all times
    4. Once the skill gets to the Morph stage, then put another one on the bar to level that rather than take the morph.

Your not going to have the best DPS now, but you will have the most flexibility later. You can apply this to both bars equally or some other way, but this is the best method while leveling 1 to 50. Reason, the game handicaps you right now to make you stronger than you really are. So, take advantage of that. You don't need the optimal skill load out, you need the optimal leveling load out.

Also, try to wear at least one of each weight of armor to get all those lines leveled.

Once you get up to or near 50, you should have all the skills that matter at Morph stage, your armors at 50 and most important, your classes at 50. Then, you can optimize your build.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.

As for Gear, well, while leveling, gear does not matter as long as you have something. It does not have to be best in slot, or even all that good. Also, we have lots of dropped set pieces so if you spend any time in a zone, you will more than likely pick up a set or two to wear. Each zone has a Magic, a Stamina and a Health or Tank set. Since everything scales, you can use this gear longer than you would think from the levels. It is only once you reach CP160 that you really want to worry about the gear, and by then you will have a good idea of what to use and where to farm for it.

Until then, the most important thing with gear is to wear a mix of it (light/medium/heavy) so they all level up somewhat equally. Also, have one skill from each of the 3 class skill lines on your bar at all times, and at least one weapon skill. For the 5th, it can be another weapon or attack skill or a support skill or some skill you want to level.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the thing about Crafting, you don't need it until End Game (post CP160) but you can level it in preparation with few to no skill points invested. Crafting can eat up 122 Skill Points to fully invest, so this will gimp your combat while leveling. Best to invest as few points as possible while levleing your character and crafting.

Equipment Crafting

Decon all mob loot other than what you are using to research traits. Research traits, learn two on all items you would use, then learn 3, etc. Focus on Divines, Infused and Training for your first three for Armor, Sharpened, Precise and Training for your Weapons. Then go for the other ones. Nirn is expensive, and a lot of people suggest putting a priority on that, I can't see why. The Trait is all but useless for Armor or Weapons. Best place to find Mob Loot is Public Dungeons, then over land grind spots. Grind on mobs until your bags are full, then go on a decon fest. Remembering to save the ones you need or want to research. Use the Lock Function and or an Inventory Mule to hang on to those. Only invest Skill points while leveling it into the Research and Extraction Passive, the last really only needing one point.

Enchanting

Ignore all the "advice" on the web about using an enchanting partner. First, use Mob Loot decon to raise this up to a point. Later on as you approach end game have some some gold, then start making Green, Blue or Purple Glyphs on one character and decon them on an Alt. You will level Enchanting faster than trading the glyphs with another player, which is tedious by the way. (like pull out your hair and make a doily tedious). Use Green up to about L15 in the Enchanting Skill, Blue up to about L30/35 and Purple up to about L46/47. Then learn the runes you don't know, you should be at or near 50, if not, make/decon some more Purples.

Provisioning and Alchemy

Don't worry about these, you can level these professions in about an 20 minutes, for both. Just collect the Various Solvents and Reagents and Provisioning Ingredients/Recipes as you go along. Once end game, then you can level it. Use Mushrooms to level Alchemy, or Flowers that make potions you won't use. Make sure you grab solvents (waters) as your leveling as they can be rare to find in the guild stores. For Provisioning, make the highest level Green Recipes you can make. Blue or Purples do not give any more inspiration than Greens, so save those for character use.

Yes, use Drop Sets for now, and Yes, level your crafting skills and do the Trait Research. Traits are why you craft as they allow you to make Special Crafted Sets. There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces of. Period. Well, Twice Born Star is great to, but your a year out from making that. But you need to start learning your traits now.

While it takes 6 traits known to be able to make Hundings or Julianos, 9 Traits for Twice Born Star. You don't need to know learn all of these traits on everything before you craft anything. In fact, there are nice sets that you only need to know 2 or 3 or 4 traits to make. So, learn 2 traits first, then 3 etc. This way you can be making set items in just a few days. So, start learning those traits. Focus on the gear you will use first, then fill in the rest later. This means:

Casters
    Heavy Chest/Legs
    Light Feet/Hands/Waist
    Shoulders and Heads are good to, but there are 2 Piece Monster sets that can take up those slots. So learn the traits on these pieces, but prioritize the ones above.
    Staves (all 4 of them)

Stamina
    All Medium Armors
    Daggers, Swords, Axes, Bow

Tanks
    All Heavy Armors, Sword and Shield and maybe Staves (Ice is your tanking stick). Can add in Axes or Maces for the weapons if you want.
    For Armors, Sturdy, then Divines, Infused, Reinforced. Same with Shields but Nirn can be nice on a Shield.
    For Weapons, Infused, Sharpened, Defending. Charged for the Staff

Learn Training, Divines and Infused on the Armors first, Sharpened, Precise, Infused and Training on the Weapons. Powered is good for the Healing Staff, Defending is good for Sword or other one handed Melee. Then fill in the rest until you have 6 traits on each piece of gear you will use. Eventually you will learn all 9 traits. Some people recommend Nirn as an early trait to learn. Unless they change it, don't listen to them. You might use it on a Shield or a Weapon but that is about it. You need it someday, but it's expensive and you need your gold for other things.

Invest the skill points into the Research Passives. I can't stress enough how much of a time sink Trait Research is. Be able to learn more than one at a time, and reduce the time needed. Get an addon for Trait Research Tracking, I recommend Craft Store. If your on the Consoles, find one of the spreadsheets out there or make one to track this. Have I mentioned you need to learn your traits?

Doing this you will be ready to invest skill points into Crafting when it matters and not have to spend months getting ready. Did I mention Trait Research and how much a time sink it is? The last two traits will take you a month each to learn, on each item you learn them on. Get started now, yesterday would have been better.

• SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Thank you, Nestor. Good summary. This is really enough to start with. Reading or watching every guid won't probably help, the best way to find out and learn is to just play, like you said. Here we go..
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Small update, if thats ok.

I am still on Bleakrock Isle, don't have any interesting amor yet, wearing now (heavy) iron armor. Mainly using bow as weapon, really fun. I don't fully understand the Skills yet, but I invested some points into Earthen Heart > Stonefist IV, and Bow > Snipe IV. Got 4 points left.

Next. I tried to follow this guide > https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-player-beginner-guide/ but soon the guids tells you about Fighters Guild, Mages Guild and Undaunted. These are supposed to be in the starter town. My starter village is Bleakrock village, but if im right they aren't in Bleakrock village. How do I get to them?
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SgtPow3rs continue the story to the next zone, it'll eventually lead you to the zone of Stonefalls and city of Davon's Watch, which is considered the "starter" city for your chosen alliance.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Wow really? This first isle is pretty big so I assumed this had to be the starter location, lol.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the main starter zone for EP is Stonfalls. Think of Bleakrock and Balfoyen as 'training' zones.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow really? This first isle is pretty big so I assumed this had to be the starter location, lol.

The Fighters and Mages guilds recruiters are in what is called the main "hubs" of each Alliance (not starter zones as such), and in the Morrowind and Summerset chapter zones (Vvardenfell and Summerset Isle). The Vvardenfell zone is where most new players start nowadays, since it is included in the ESO Standard Edition.
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Ok thank you. I need some more advice on weapons. I want to do bow + 2hand, is that a good combo? Is that used more? I have now 6 skills points waiting to be used but I'm not sure where to put them into.
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Sorry if all my messages come across as spam, otherwise I would have edited my previous post.

I followed step by step the guide on https://alcasthq.com/, really useful. I am now at the "How to build your first character" stage. I need some advice here, again :#

Which build guid should I follow if I prefer using 2hand or bow. I'm an Dark elf, I already added 2 health points and 4 in stamina. I can't really figure it out, this game is *** extensive.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ill be honest at such an early level i wouldnt worry too much about characther building.
    You wont have the necessary skills unlocked to make a proper build anyway.
    If you open your skills menu, on the left hand side there should be the skill advisor. Its pretty bare bones, but it will generally tell you what skills to unlock.

As a general rule of thumb, while levelling, you will want to have at least one skill from each of your class' skill line on your bar.

You said you want to go for 2h/bow, thats a perfectly fine setup, both weapons are stamina based, so i suggest putting all your attribute points from here on out to stamina.

Your class is Dragonknigh i think you wrote, so you will want to focus on unlocking searing strike and fiery breath, and then level them and morph them for their stamina morphs, venemous claw and noxious breath.

On your bow skill line i would recommend going for poison arrow, since stamina dragonknight synergise well with dots.

On your 2 hander uppercut is a great spammable ability which you can get early, it does a lot of damage as well.

But more so then anything just focus on enjoying yourself and feel free to experiment with whatever you like.

Until you hit endgame group content, it really doesnt matter what you build for.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if all my messages come across as spam, otherwise I would have edited my previous post.

I followed step by step the guide on https://alcasthq.com/, really useful. I am now at the "How to build your first character" stage. I need some advice here, again :#

Which build guid should I follow if I prefer using 2hand or bow. I'm an Dark elf, I already added 2 health points and 4 in stamina. I can't really figure it out, this game is *** extensive.

You build will depend on what content do you want to focus on.

Mostly solo questing, delves, public dungeons, maybe soloing some group dungeons on normal difficulty later on?
    Group PvE - group dungeons, trials?
    PvP?

Generally, this may be a good source to read. Do not take the builds as absolute, eternal, unchangeable truth, though. Take them more as a guide on what works, especially what works with what:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-2h-build-pve/
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Thanks, guys. What I do know at least is that the community is very helpful.

I will focus on stamina for my bow and sword usage. I know you can reset skills so I shouldn't worry about chosing a 'wrong' skill, but you can't reset the attribute points, right?

"Do not take the builds as absolute, eternal, unchangeable truth, though", no idea why but I really thought like that, you choose to become a warrior or magician and thats the way it is, no way back. :p

You build will depend on what content do you want to focus on. At the moment I haven't any focus at all, first time ever playing this. I guess for the upcoming in-game-hours it will be focused on solo.
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    "you will want to focus on unlocking searing strike and fiery breath", I just logged in and checked out those skills. Both cost Magicka points, what about that? Because I invest my points into Stamina.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. What I do know at least is that the community is very helpful.

Yes, I really like the ESO community, especially compared to many other, very toxic ones.
    I will focus on stamina for my bow and sword usage. I know you can reset skills so I shouldn't worry about chosing a 'wrong' skill, but you can't reset the attribute points, right?

You can reset your Atributes, Skills, or only Skill Morphs, for gold. Or using a respec scroll. They sometimes appear among daily login rewards.
    "Do not take the builds as absolute, eternal, unchangeable truth, though", no idea why but I really thought like that, you choose to become a warrior or magician and thats the way it is, no way back. :p

I meant the specific gear and skills setup. If you cannot get some gear set, just think what else would work. There are many sets in the game:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Sets
    You build will depend on what content do you want to focus on. At the moment I haven't any focus at all, first time ever playing this. I guess for the upcoming in-game-hours it will be focused on solo.

Alright, going for a PvE build for PvE soloing or group dungeons may be the right way to go. The point above applies here - many such Damage Dealer builds will only use Dual Wielding and Bow as the wepaons, but there is nothing wrong with using a two-handed weapon. You will need ot adjust the skill setup given for the build, and maybe even the gear sets.
    Edited by Watchdog on May 9, 2020 9:00PM
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Thanks, and what about my previous question on Firstmep: "you will want to focus on unlocking searing strike and fiery breath", I just logged in and checked out those skills. Both cost Magicka points, what about that? Because I invest my points into Stamina.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, and what about my previous question on Firstmep: "you will want to focus on unlocking searing strike and fiery breath", I just logged in and checked out those skills. Both cost Magicka points, what about that? Because I invest my points into Stamina.

Do you know what skill Morphs are? Just to be sure, when your basic skill fills the XP bar of its level IV, you will be able to invest another skill point in a Morph. The two recommended Morphs change their skills from Magicka to Stamina.

See here: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ardent_Flame
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Watchdog wrote: »

Do you know what skill Morphs are? Just to be sure, when your basic skill fills the XP bar of its level IV, you will be able to invest another skill point in a Morph. The two recommended Morphs change their skills from Magicka to Stamina.

See here: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ardent_Flame

Ah, right. "Converts into a Stamina ability", perfect.
  • Sange13
    Sange13
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly can't be bothered to read all the other replies, so here are a few tips:

1. All weapons except staves use the [Weapon Damage] and your maximum Stamina to determine the damage they deal. Skills that cost stamina use these as well. Ultimates vary, but usually you can tell by the damage type which you should prefer as Weapon Damage generally corresponds to Physical, Poison, Disease, and Bleed.

2. Staves use [Spell Damage] and maximum Magicka. Similar rules as above, but types are Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Magic. I'm not sure if Oblivion damage is typed in any way or if it is a sort of "true damage," but I suspect it's the latter.

3. Make sure you have a Mundus stone active. These are like Standing Stones from Skyrim--can have one active at all times for a permanent buff of your choice according to the stone you use.

4. Always use food. Even if all you have is garbage single stat food. More stats is more stats.

5. Make sure all your armor has an enchantment on it. Anything is better than nothing, but focus on ones that increase your damage or survival. Sustain can be important too, but unlikely at pre-CP levels.

6. Your base weapon or spell damage is based on the weapon you have currently equipped and active. Dual wielding adds them together, iirc, and yes--even melee weapons provide spell damage and staves provide weapon damage; both provide both. Reread points 1 and 2 carefully if you're confused about this.

7. Try to farm complete sets for the bonuses if you can, but understand that you will be replacing them as you go until you hit CP 160 (equipment level cap). Because of this, it may be a good idea to farm a particular zone or dungeon to get what you want. Deshaan, Bangkorai, Wrothgar, and Vvardenfell all have some decent sets, depending on how you want to build.

8. Don't be afraid to enter Public Dungeons and don't confuse them with Group Dungeons. The former are open to everyone and there are 1-2 on a given map. They each contain a group event that awards a skill point and a skyshard. Group Dungeons are the ones you have to queue into with a role (also known as Undaunted dungeons). Public Dungeons are a great way to get a healthy skill point count early on. Be sure to do the main quest (Harborage) as well since each chapter awards a skill point too. On the other hand, Group Dungeons are worth doing too, because each one also has a quest that awards a skill point.

9. You can join up to 5 guilds in this game. I recommend using at least 2 of them for trading. Early on, one will likely be enough. Get a trade addon if you're on PC to help you price things. There are 3rd party web sites if you're on console. Some common and easily farmed goods you can sell are:
    -yellow rarity upgrade materials (Kuta, Tempered Alloy, Rosin, Dreugh Wax, Chromium Grains/Plating)
    -certain alchemy ingredients (pearls, Cornflower, Lady's Smock, Columbine, Dragonthorn, Blessed Thistle, Nightshade, Beetle Scuttle, dragon parts, etc)
    -full stacks of raw materials for others to refine (basically gambling for upgrade materials)
    -Exemplary jewelry if you have Summerset and do enough of the main story to join the Psijic Order
    -rare motifs (purple and up, especially those from expansion areas)
    -...and Perfect Roe (rare item from cleaning fish you caught)

10. Use all this awesome gold you're swimming in to upgrade your account's shared bank and your character's carrying capacity. The more you can loot, the less often you have to stop to sell, destroy, deconstruct things. It makes inventory management much better.

11. This is up to each player to determine if they can afford to, but ESO+ is *extremely* recommended. Mainly for the craft bag, but you get bonuses to exp, gold, crafting exp, etc as well as access to 95% of the game's content, and double bank storage.

12. Armor types are as follows:
    -Heavy is for tanking
    -Medium is for stamina/weapon dps and stealth
    -Light is for mag/spell dps and healing
    This is the **super** basic version. There are lots of ways to bend this to do odd builds, but you should experiment with those after you're much more familiar with the game's mechanics and what those choices entail.

13. Join all the NPC guilds you can as early as you can and start leveling them--Fighters, Mages, Undaunted, Psijic, Thieve's, Dark Brotherhood, etc. Look into whether being a werewolf or vampire would suit your build.

14. Don't be afraid to play as tank or healer. Seriously, there's always a short supply of these roles, so you would get much faster queue times for dungeons, make friends more easily, and lots of people are willing to help you assemble a good build for what you want to accomplish. Just make sure to have a dps setup you can swap to when you're out soloing.

15. Don't be afraid to PvP. Yes, you will get crushed for awhile. You will also learn your class better, earn really nice rewards, and there are more skill points and skill lines to be had from it that can still benefit you in PvE.

That's my basic rundown for new players. Enjoy and good luck!
    IGN: Sange-13
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    Thanks man. I understand many basic things now, still playing it almost every day. I think I'm lv 14, mainly focused on a archer build. My gear setup is still a mess, wearing all kinds of random armor, still looking for a nice medium set.

I have joined the Fighter, Mages, and Undaunted guilds. I'm still looking for a players guild (on Xbox/Europe) if that is useful. I play actively every day but I am not the type who plays in groups with a headset, mainly solo.
  • LadyHeloise
    LadyHeloise
    ✭✭✭
    At level 15 you will be able to have two weapons and hence two skill lines to use, where you swap between the two as you may have seen from alcast. So you can have bow on one bar and something else (stamina based probably in your case) on the other bar. My tips for this are that:

a) remember to swap to your second (back) bar just before you turn in quests so the skills you put on there get the experience, as it is only applied to the bar you are using at the time

b) bind the bar swap key to an easy key to use - on PC I have this on my middle mouse button - as you will use this a lot.

Also don't worry too much about getting sets together at low levels - if you are just questing it is ok to use whatever you pick up (and if you quest quite a bit in one area you will pick up set pieces easily) until you get to CP160. if you want to look for overland sets that you can just pick up then en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Overland_Sets will tell you where they are and whether they drop in med/light/heavy. But really it is better to just keep following the zone and main stories, which will take you through the different areas, than worry about this yet.
    Edited by LadyHeloise on May 13, 2020 12:33PM
    PC-EU.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question OP. Well, I can say I had no one to ask about this game for almost a year of playing. And I mean a LOT of play time. I'm retired so I spent thousands of hours in game just wandering around, doing quests with no idea about gear, skills or character building.

One day someone asked me if I wanted to join a guild. Sure! That was it for me. Once in the guild they took my hand and showed me a lot about this game I had no idea about. I can honestly say a book can be written about character building in this game and it still won't be enough.

My suggestion is to watch youtube videos from some of the best ESO players out there and visit their websites. These folks put a lot of time and effort into compiling the information and making videos and websites for us to use and learn about this game. Here are a few but there are many more, my apologies to those not listed of which there are many: AlcastHQ.com, JDUB (can't remember his site but easily found), Fengrush (works with Alcast on website), Xnodegaming, NefasQS, Dottzgaming and woeler.eu.

I'm sure I missed a bunch and my apologies to all the content creators out there I missed! I can say this to you: You have no idea how much there is to this game in all aspects. It's enormous and like a book with many secret endings you will always be striving to find. It unfolds in front of you as you progress through it. Don't rush through it, take your time, enjoy it and feel it. It's the best MMO out there in my opinion. I'm close to 15,000 hours in game at this time and still play every day when possible.