The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Can ZOS confirm if the New Moon Motif is on a 20 hour timer?

huntgod_ESO
huntgod_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Been looking online and can't find a confirmation that there is or isn't.

Reading it looks like several people were getting 1 a day and then had a dry pull, only thing in common was opening the chest less than 20 hours apart.

So does this have a hidden timer or is it not a guaranteed pull?
--- HuntGod ---
Officer of the Unrepentant
www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be so. It's strange and more than a little irritating that no one at ZOS can be arsed to provide an official answer to this simple yes or no question. Communication breakdown; it's always the same.
    forever stuck in combat
    Options
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    It appears to be so. It's strange and more than a little irritating that no one at ZOS can be arsed to provide an official answer to this simple yes or no question. Communication breakdown; it's always the same.

It's more insane that no one in the community can test it out and instead wait days and days for an answer they'll never get. Tell ya what, I opened my supply box at 2:25am EDT last night so tonight ill open it at 2am reset. Then we'll know and we won't have to ask questions like this and expecting answers.
    Options
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's more insane that no one in the community can test it out and instead wait days and days for an answer they'll never get. Tell ya what, I opened my supply box at 2:25am EDT last night so tonight ill open it at 2am reset. Then we'll know and we won't have to ask questions like this and expecting answers.

This has been an open question for a very long time now and it's quite reasonable to expect an answer. I prefer not to give crummy service a pass but others are free to do as they like. Toodles.
    forever stuck in combat
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do wish they'd standardize how and when things go through their daily reset. I can do my daily writs, then come back an hour later and do them again, but if I do riding training at the same time I have to wait twenty hours, and so on. You need a spreadsheet to keep track. :(
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • cheemers
    cheemers
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the supply box already have a daily timer?
    Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCDQ7FrJ0AjMt2auffLEf_Pw

PS4 EU - 18 characters, all DC
    Options
  • sedi
    sedi
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me the chest loot reset daily but motif must have been on 20 hour because I was only a little earlier to log on today and got no motif drop.
    Options
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That explains things. I got the 30 quest achievement last night at about 9PM and the special chest appeared immediately. It had a New Moon motif. This morning at about 10AM, I ran the Dirge daily. The chest appeared but did not contain a motif.

So it appears that the chest and the motif are on different timers. LOL. What a jacked up system.

I'll run another Dirge quest tonight to see if a) I get a chest and b) if it has a motif.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    That explains things. I got the 30 quest achievement last night at about 9PM and the special chest appeared immediately. It had a New Moon motif. This morning at about 10AM, I ran the Dirge daily. The chest appeared but did not contain a motif.

So it appears that the chest and the motif are on different timers. LOL. What a jacked up system.

I'll run another Dirge quest tonight to see if a) I get a chest and b) if it has a motif.

You don't need to run Dirge's quest for the chest to reset.
    Options
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that's a bummer :( The motif appearance should be tied to the chest's timer.
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Brotherhood deliveries and Mount Training are also 20 hours, Hirelings and Geodes in Rewards of the Worthy are 24.
    Now they want us to figure out yet another timer.
    Just make everything 20! Or collect it all once per day along with your daily login rewards!
    Options
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? Is it completely independent of quests? Meaning it just spawns once a day and if it's been over 20 hours since you pulled a motif, it contains a motif?
    Options
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been an open question for a very long time now and it's quite reasonable to expect an answer. I prefer not to give crummy service a pass but others are free to do as they like. Toodles.

An "open question for a long time" should have been solved by now. It's an easily answerable question and expecting every silly question to be officially answered is unreasonable.

It's the exact same service as every other system in the game
    Options
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An "open question for a long time" should have been solved by now. It's an easily answerable question and expecting every silly question to be officially answered is unreasonable.

One question is every question? Asking and/or answering questions on the official discussion forums is somehow strange to you? I’ll keep asking questions though; feel free to be bothered by that if it makes you happy.
    forever stuck in combat
    Options
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One question is every question? Asking and/or answering questions on the official discussion forums is somehow strange to you? I’ll keep asking questions though; feel free to be bothered by that if it makes you happy.

Expecting answers from official sources over 4 hours (pro tip, the answer is 20 hour timer) for the same question is strange. Quest reward timers are 20 hours and dungeon activities are 24 hours, it has been like this for years. You should be able to test yourself and not need an official explanation of everything.

Huntgod, I criticize ZOS plenty

[Edit to remove quoted content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on April 25, 2020 10:35PM
    Options
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chest opened yesterday at 10.03am (my time) - motif obtained.

Daily writ reset 4.00pm.

Chest opened just then at 8.48am (more than 20 hours but less than 24 hours since last chest was opened for people who have trouble with time) - motif obtained.

For the really ***...next test is to open chest at 3.30pm, and then at 4.30pm (30 mins either side of after daily reset)

Wish ZOS would say something so we dont have to put ourselves through this strenuous work.
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've gotten a motif every time I opened it, but I've specifically been waiting about 24.5 hours between each one. I'm just going under the assumption that there's a cooldown, so if I open every day at the same time, I should be good, I guess.

Of course, the third motif I got was a dupe of #1, so that's obnoxious...
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible that the motif cooldown is character based even though the coffer is account based. If someone has 2 toons with the coffer unlocked on the same account, perhaps toon 1 can open it 5 minutes before the global reset and toon 2 could open it 5 minutes after the reset and they both get a motif? This could be a way to avoid the 20 hour motif cooldown timer. I could be wrong, just throwing out an idea.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Really? Is it completely independent of quests? Meaning it just spawns once a day and if it's been over 20 hours since you pulled a motif, it contains a motif?

Yup, that's correct! You can tell if it's ready to loot at a glance. It'll be sparkly and have little light beams coming off of it. The motif situation is still uncertain, but anecdotal evidence says yes, probably a 20 hour cooldown that's independent of the chest resetting.
    Options
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad they had time to moderate the thread but not answer the question.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
    Options
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad they had time to moderate the thread but not answer the question.

They went through a short phase where they wanted to improve communication and then it just stopped.
    Options
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well good luck getting an answer. The same s**t happened with Shield of Senchal motif, and they just didn't say a single word:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/516986/shield-of-senchal-motif-is-there-a-cooldown-on-drops/p1

Looks like they are finding new, disgustingly low and shady ways to promote crown store copies of the motifs. Day by day, item by item.

This prolly doesn't mean anything to ZOS or anyone, but i used to be a big buyer of those cosmetics, paid for a load of stuff that i knew i wouldn't even use anyway. Until i started realizing their way with these shady and greedy actions. And been paying less and less for everything ever since. Cancelled sub 11 months ago. Now the only thing i buy in crown store is DLCs, and even for them i don't pay. Just use ingame gold.

[snip] Would stop playing tomorrow if i didn't have a big account and lots of memories that came in 10k+ playtime to lose.

Just my 2 cents, prolly too much for a motif discussion.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on April 26, 2020 2:02PM
    PC|EU
    Options
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matchimus wrote: »
    Chest opened yesterday at 10.03am (my time) - motif obtained.

Daily writ reset 4.00pm.

Chest opened just then at 8.48am (more than 20 hours but less than 24 hours since last chest was opened for people who have trouble with time) - motif obtained.

For the really ***...next test is to open chest at 3.30pm, and then at 4.30pm (30 mins either side of after daily reset)

Wish ZOS would say something so we dont have to put ourselves through this strenuous work.

Opened next chest at 4.37pm. 37 minutes after writ reset and less than 12 hrs since last chest opened - no motif. I believe based on my experience the timer is highly probably 20 hours.
    Options
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question: if you open a chest, see no motif, close it without taking stuff and return later, will motif be there? Will chest be active at all?
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [snip]

This is a motif drop where, if you have played the dlc & done the 30 quests, you get a motif dropping once a day for doing nothing but opening a bloody box!

No mindless tedious fetch&carry or long boring ‘go kill this’ quests.

Just open a box once a day. Once a day. Not hard.

Check what time it is when you open it. Go back the same time the next day. Easy.

And of course its going to be on a timer - most things in the game are! (My guild worked it out within 48 hours but some of us realised was more than likely to be a cooldown & waited 24 hrs each time & consequently have had a motif drop every day)

So no, this is not some evil conspiracy to make you purchase it in the crown store, nor is it evidence of bad communication - work it out yourself ffs!! Again, wasn’t difficult!

[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on April 26, 2020 2:05PM
    Options
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does it matter if they confirm it?

Just do some basic testing, really doesn't take much to work out. I tested to see if it was on the same reset as the box, doesn't appear to be so concluded 20 hour cooldown.

So I make sure 20 hours or so elapse between visits, and guess what - I get a motif each day.

It's not rocket science (which is just as well as I'm no rocket scientist)
    Edited by hafgood on April 26, 2020 11:12AM
    Options
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [quote="Hallothiel;c-6730018"[snip]

This is a motif drop where, if you have played the dlc & done the 30 quests, you get a motif dropping once a day for doing nothing but opening a bloody box!

No mindless tedious fetch&carry or long boring ‘go kill this’ quests.

Just open a box once a day. Once a day. Not hard.

Check what time it is when you open it. Go back the same time the next day. Easy.

And of course its going to be on a timer - most things in the game are! (My guild worked it out within 48 hours but some of us realised was more than likely to be a cooldown & waited 24 hrs each time & consequently have had a motif drop every day)

So no, this is not some evil conspiracy to make you purchase it in the crown store, nor is it evidence of bad communication - work it out yourself ffs!! Again, wasn’t difficult!

[snip]

[edited for baiting][/quote]

The problem is not the timer by itself, the problem is that motif timer is different from container timer. Which is inconvenient, confusing and just plain bad design.

Also impossibility to get official confirmation for some questions is a problem too. We can test timers, we cannot test if difference is intended.
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on April 26, 2020 2:06PM
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just pick it up once every 24 hours. Easy.
    Options
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. Nobody is sitting here with stopwatch
    2. "Once in 24 hours" works for set timer, not when it's 20 hours from last pick
    3. If you thinks that some topic is not worth discussing, you are free to leave the discussion [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on April 26, 2020 2:06PM
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Think those getting stressed about such a minor thing in this thread are more [snip]

Don’t need a timer! Just know you picked up motif at a certain time (for me, is around midnight) so just go back at roughly the same time each day = get motif. Not hard.

And as for leaving the discussion - why? Because I have a different opinion? That’s what a discussion IS - more than one set opinion is necessary otherwise not a proper discussion!

And was trying to help - if you pick up then wait 24 hours before picking up again, it works.

[edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on April 26, 2020 2:07PM
    Options
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,
    We had to remove some posts due to violating our rules involving baiting and bashing. Please keep your posts constructive and civil. If you have any questions about the actions being taken, please take a moment to review our community rules here.
    Options
    Staff Post