The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New Moon Priest Motif

• naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    I only have one account and I'm 2 for 3. I received one the first day nothing yesterday and one today. Both motifs I've received have been for staves. I wasn't paying attention to time between checking the chest so don't know if any were under or over a 20/24 hour timer. I wouldn't put it past ZOS however to do something like this given their history.
    Ive been opening it once every 20 hours and am 3/3. So afaik its 20 hr cooldown

• NavalOffisah
    NavalOffisah
    ✭✭✭
    On the first day I got new moon belts (right around 10am), second day I did not receive one (was less than 20 hours later) and today I had new moon shoulders, but did not realize my inventory was full. Went up to the chef upstairs to clear some space, but couldn't access the chest again. So lost the motif today. I did sumbit a ticket hoping I will be able to reclaim the motif - but make sure you have space!
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First 2 days I opened one, I got a motif. 3rd day I did not. I did open the chest earlier in the day than previous days but since the chest already has a cooldown and can be opened only once per day anyway, this additional motif cooldown is really unnecessary.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sound like the hidden cooldown from the PVP rewards. The box is always there in your mail, but if you open that mail too early there's no geode in your box.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2/2 again on day 4. Again waiting at least 20 hours (which seems to be the go-to "hidden" cooldown in game)

I can safely say the drop rate is guaranteed (or very, very high) with a 20 hour cooldown, since all the "no" responses have indicated they waited less than that time
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • NavalOffisah
    NavalOffisah
    ✭✭✭
    Got a motif again today, new moon belts, made sure to wait at least 20 hours (and have open inventory space). It's definitely very high if not guaranteed
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, was 3/3 since they started, this morning opened it early, less than 20 hours had passed and got nada...moving forward with the assumption of a hidden 20 hr timer...which I hate!
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous. There should not be a cooldown on a chest you can only open once per day. I could understand cooldowns on repeatable quests or dailies that all 18 characters can do. I even remember there being a cooldown on Dwemer motif pages, to discourage players from just looting dwemer urns 24/7. But the "once per day per account" functionality is already limiting. You do not need a cooldown on top of it.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've now received a motif 3 out of 4 times. I made sure to get today's after 20 hours had lapsed. I don't know if I'll continue to bother with it since I have now gotten the staves motif all three times.

I'm also not into keeping track of an item timer for a box that already has a timer of its own. I really don't understand why ZOS won't put these things out using the daily reset. Having to keep track of when you do this or that does nothing to enhance the enjoyment of the game. In fact it does just the opposite.
  • Infixo
    Infixo
    ✭✭
    4 chests - 4 pages for me
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 4/4 and I've been making sure to wait 20 hours between opening the chests.

Didn't the Shields of Senchal drop rate have a similar issue? Is that just a thing with Motif drops in ESO 2.0?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »
    I'm 4/4 and I've been making sure to wait 20 hours between opening the chests.

Didn't the Shields of Senchal drop rate have a similar issue? Is that just a thing with Motif drops in ESO 2.0?

20 hours has been a "hidden cooldown" that's been proposed for years with motif drops.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be a 20 cooldown on may things. For example, in the public dungeons that drops (7)parts for a pet or costume, you can generally get a drop in about 20 min of grinding but getting a second the same day is very rare.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had 5/5 drops of this motif now and also crafting writs are dropping for it as well.

RNAmAHt.png
  • NavalOffisah
    NavalOffisah
    ✭✭✭
    New day, new drop! Made sure to wait 20 hours. 4/5 total, one i missed opened less than 20 hours later
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, I’ve had three New Moon Priest master writs already, and only able to complete one so far.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the drops bound or can you sell the motifs?
  • NavalOffisah
    NavalOffisah
    ✭✭✭
    mikikatze wrote: »
    Are the drops bound or can you sell the motifs?

You can sell them!
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am trying to time things perfectly around the 20-hour cooldown but server is still down for maintenance. Please fix the server, ZOS, for the sake of my OCD! :-)
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like ZOS didn't like the drop rate for the motif. Having a 24 hour daily reset combined with a 20 hour cooldown was just to generous.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525297/pts-patch-notes-v6-0-2#latest

Fixed an issue that resulted in the Dragonguard supply chest inadvertently giving a guaranteed motif chapter with every interaction. Note the updated rate is still significantly higher than most other motif sources.

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Looks like ZOS didn't like the drop rate for the motif. Having a 24 hour daily reset combined with a 20 hour cooldown was just to generous.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525297/pts-patch-notes-v6-0-2#latest

Fixed an issue that resulted in the Dragonguard supply chest inadvertently giving a guaranteed motif chapter with every interaction. Note the updated rate is still significantly higher than most other motif sources.

There is another part to that note:

Fixed an issue that, in some cases, could prevent you from having a chance to earn New Moon Priest Motif chapters when opening the Dragonguard supply chest.

So it sounds like they got rid of the 20-hour cooldown. When the chest resets at 2:00am, you will have a chance, regardless of whether you last opened 24 minutes ago or 24 hours ago. The chance is not 100%, though. This seems like a reasonable compromise. No confusing "double cooldown", where both the chest and motif page are on different timers, but no 100% motif page.
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe it means a full inventory won't let the box disappear immediately before actually being able to loot it?
    Edited by mikikatze on May 6, 2020 6:41AM
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    for the last 10 days all ive gotten is dupes, is this how its meant to be?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pure RNG, @naturebased ... the game doesn't check your motif knowledge when it randomly chooses the motif page.

I've gotten many duplicates as well.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah,i have seven dupes. :|
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel your anguish. Five New Moon Priest staves motifs and three shoulders.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same boat here.

I have two accounts who've collected a page each and every day so far. Have not received either Daggers or Shoulders yet. But I've gotten 4 or 5 of several other pages (Belts and Boots)

That's randomness for you :smile:
    Edited by tmbrinks on May 10, 2020 11:56PM
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Same boat here.

I have two accounts who've collected a page each and every day so far. Have not received either Daggers or Shoulders yet. But I've gotten 4 or 5 of several other pages (Belts and Boots)

With all of the complaints about duplicates I wonder if there is a problem with the RNG seed number. Initializing the call to random with the same seed number will generate the same sequence of pseudo random numbers.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same boat here.

With all of the complaints about duplicates I wonder if there is a problem with the RNG seed number. Initializing the call to random with the same seed number will generate the same sequence of pseudo random numbers.

All sample sizes are WAAAAAAY to small to draw any conclusions from that at this time.
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    Same boat here.

All sample sizes are WAAAAAAY to small to draw any conclusions from that at this time.

I've gotten 1 NMP motif everyday since they released, and I have 8/14. So out of 20 days ive gotten 8 new and 12 dupes