The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Nerf Radiant Regeneration stacking (hots in general)!

• Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This thread is comedy gold. Doing what OP wan't won't solve lag because the problem is not just server-side.

WARNING: RANT-LIKE

The keep models still cause massive lag when they swap because they reverted the code when they "fixed" the crashing, the client's threading is poorer than it was before and initially after that massive re-download because of them reverting it to fix crashing, and lag itself is still heavily dependent on floating point being used for nearly everything -- which causes many bugs people attribute to lag, but no only that, definitely increase lag (and CP is where the most floating point happens, that's why it's a laggy the more players login and play there).

Damage, position, healing, damage reduction, skill cost, etc. - all use the same exact kind of floating point that healing does, and as a result when the ball groups stack, the server has to process large amounts of data for all of these things. Not to mention, this same data is a large amount of data to send and receive over the internet!

Let's talk about that data. The amount of data that they send over the internet varies so much that it may actually trigger you ISP's QoS rules to apply to the game's data in a way that increases lag. If you don't have a dedicated line from your ISP, then you will experience more lag in Cyro than those that do assuming there are no other factors. Examples of dedicated lines: DSL, cellphone hotspot data (IF not deprioritized), or a fixed cable line (business-only cable and fiber optic lines or if you are lucky enough to be the only one on your street with it/your ISP is nice enough to do it for you because you say you work from home ;) ). If you have a regular cable and fiber optic line that is not dedicated for your use only and shared, which is the majority of all cable lines, then the ISP's QoS rules will affect how well you can play this game and there is nothing you can do about it because the ISP will prioritize those TVs and other services before your gaming. How fast the line's bandwidth is does not matter when ping is jumping all over the place because of de-prioritization on the network.

If you don't believe me, you can survey the players about what kind of connection they have and how often they get disconnected. I have tested dedicated v. non-dedicated bandwidth and this game's performance is worse on a non-dedicated line with 400-500 Mbps than my DSL connection or phone every time, assuming the DSL connection's bandwidth is not maxed. You can also always ask your ISP about how they prioritize data. ESO's data is seen as HTTPS data by the ISPs, that is the lowest priority in every ISP's QoS model because the ISPs assume this data is not required to be sent in real-time. ZOS would need to change this to fix server performance, but they don't care about these things for some mysterious reason or otherwise do not think it is a problem.

This game uses around 2Mbps max, or about the same amount of data as some cloud-based gaming, before the server starts to randomly select players to boot in the area. But remember, unlike cloud-based gaming data this data is being least prioritized by your ISP and if your ISP already de-prioritizes you because you use a lot of bandwidth and they have caps before throttling (every cable and fiber provider probably has this by now because of the idiots that download 25 TB worth of crap), you're going to be in for a good Cyro ride :D

ZOS is sending 2Mbps a second, over a connection that is de-prioritized, for a situation players want as close to real-time as possible -- what could possibly go wrong here?

Talk about 2Mbps? For comparison, Planetside 2 uses that much data only if you use voice comm or there are over 5000 players in an area. The difference has to do with how often they use floating point, where they use it, and the amount of data that is saved by using other data types (these decisions start to matter ALOT when you start scaling up the number of players).

But that is just the start of where the problems really lie that cause lag, it's how ZOS client and server handles player data that either goes "missing" (drop packet) or is sent or received too late that also contributes to lag for everyone in the area.

It seems especially true for areas where physics calculations are done - determining if a player is in the radius of a skill, determining whether a skill has hit a player or not, and determining how long to delay a skill based on distance (yes this actually happens and is why snipe desync will never go away; there is no standard transit time for skill or projectiles from what I have seen. Seems to be based on a function of distance, that again uses floating point...). I get the need to have a realistic physics in combat, but those go out the window when the games lags to the point combat cannot even be properly done, or some tard is abusing speed and knows how to take zero damage from any skill in the game unless you move in tangent line against them. Do not get me started on that speed and position bug, I better shut up because bugs are not supposed to be discussed on the forums and someone might understand what I mean.

There is more, such as ZOS' server structure, which I have a good guess about how it operates after playing the game so much, but I think you get the point by now: this suggestion won't solve anything.

TL,DR:

These are core parts of the game that cannot be changed easily, and is why my prediction on lag every patch is that it won't go away because I see no mention of updating these portions of the game. These things heavily influence lag and will do so next patch unless they have targeted them for change and not mentioned it in the patch notes.

ZOS has at least started cutting some floating point that was never needed, so who knows how far they will go and how much is really needed to improve performance in situations where two ballgroups collide. But next patch? I doubt any improvement will be seen unless they will be targeting those areas for improvement , cut the number of players in Cyro and say nothing, or servers mysteriously get stronger like they do during a certain mid-year event (doubt because that cost a lot of money).

Also most of this information came from testing + observation. But not only that, ZOS posts on certain issues themselves give data and credence to it. ISP portion and what kind of data ZOS sends can be verified by contacting your ISP, though how many would admit they always de-prioritize data through QoS is likely zero except the network engineers and support that don't play word games. For example, check out this from Comcast, one of America's largest ISPs. They don't exactly advertise this when you sign up...
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just remove healing altogether tbh