The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Nightblade Class Identity

Suligost
Suligost
✭✭✭
Hi,
Im playing nightblade bit of a time and I agree he is far from what he used to be. I still manage to get kills in pvp and be good tank in pve but only because of my player mentality. Im not using insvisible and must say to make it rly strong they need to reverse sooo many things... I think sadly the more easy at this point is to completle REMOVE it and rework nightblade. Yes, I consider nightblades a free AP. I cant as NB kill more then 1 DK on magicka but I can take 2 NB at same time always. Right know this skill is not usefull outside PvP and besides its just weak with current class buffs/skills.

Slowly NB is waving towards warrior style (but even that is weaker now) and I think they should finnaly (what they've been doing long time) abandon idea of asssasin classs with invisible cuz it's not working and we wont have old glory back. Instead give him new identity,. something experimental, make him half-wampire class, class more oriented towards stamina players and class that has few skills that use HEALTH pool as resource. That could be interesting and give him uniqueness, there is like one useless skill at this point and it would give class and the game fresh air.
What do you think?
Edited by Suligost on March 28, 2020 8:03AM
  • OrderoftheDarkness
    OrderoftheDarkness
    ✭✭✭
    I think Nbs could have great potential to be bloody warrior and bloody mage with redesigned mechanics and changing Lifesteal and adding Major Lifesteal as an identity. But you see what the problem is people like to kill, through ganking style, so you see such a large number of magsorcs. As for the changes in Nbs, this could pave the way for new styles and a new kind of gameplay that could be a cross-solution to all kinds of resistances and damage reductions. It could also make it possible for Nbs to be tanky, but only in its own guise and with its own uniqueness.
    Edited by OrderoftheDarkness on March 28, 2020 8:16AM
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, exactly - class that keeps stronger by staying in a fight not by use something and run a way like everyone right now. Also I can imagine those memes "all warrors sharpen their blades, cast bufffs and there is that one emo in the corner that cut his hands with weird grind on his face before a fight" :D
    Edited by Suligost on March 28, 2020 8:39AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. NB "identity" has basically one skill left that is unique class definig skill - cloak. But even with that being said, cloak is currently bugged as it is getting interrupted by literately everything. Also it is worth mentioning that other NB skills are..well.. lets just say that I was looking on how to improve my NB build.... and as a result I ended up with a NB... that does not use any NB skills at all.... lol....
    When I wrote this down, I realised the awful state of the class. I was looking for better options and I ended up replacing all my class skill that I was using, with weapon / guild / world skill. The skills that are meant to supplement your toolkit and be less powerful than class skills...

Right now, I don't use any nb skills on my nb. LOL ? That is how awesom those are... Slowly, I was switching to better options... :
    Ambush -> Critical Rush
    Killer's Blade -> Executioner
    Mass Hysteria -> Turn Evil
    Incapacitating Strike -> Dawnbreaker of Smiting
    Soul Tether -> Shooting Star
    Sap Esence -> Brawler
    Phantasmal Escape -> Race Against Time

As for Cloak, that thing is soo bugged that I simply stopped using it. I carry some invisiblity potions, just in case...

Note: The build is slighlty different, but overall my nb kinda works better now LOL...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on March 28, 2020 8:44AM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cloak is either NB’s great weakness or greatest help. Unfortunately, right now it is more of a hindrance to most. ZOS cannot find the right balance with it.
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Cloak is either NB’s great weakness or greatest help. Unfortunately, right now it is more of a hindrance to most. ZOS cannot find the right balance with it.

That's why I made this topic, generally he has less buffs, weakers skills etc, cloak is useless and I know that they wont find a way to balance it so thats whay I suggest to remove it and make health resource class rework (bloodzerker/hemomancer mentioned earlier) - more stamina oriented (like sorc is magicka oriented) and be done with this.
    Edited by Suligost on March 28, 2020 9:19AM
  • OrderoftheDarkness
    OrderoftheDarkness
    ✭✭✭
    Suligost wrote: »

That's why I made this topic, generally he has less buffs, weakers skills etc, cloak is useless and I know that they wont find a way to balance it so thats whay I suggest to remove it and make health resource class rework (bloodzerker/hemomancer mentioned earlier) - more stamina oriented (like sorc is magicka oriented) and be done with this.

The game mainly features classes of light, elements, and nature. With the advent of Necro, a dark class appeared in the game. Nbs should also be closer to the dark, namely to various kinds of debuffs and these debuffs should not be similar to major fracture or anything like that. These debuffs must be unique.
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭

The game mainly features classes of light, elements, and nature. With the advent of Necro, a dark class appeared in the game. Nbs should also be closer to the dark, namely to various kinds of debuffs and these debuffs should not be similar to major fracture or anything like that. These debuffs must be unique.

Necro is dark in therms of cropses... I see new NB on health as resource as true dark, terror, blood, gruesome - such themes. Also see him ass buffer rather debuffer (since such jumping he will also debuff himself if his skills cost health), lifesteal is good start but I already thought he's gameplay should encourage to stay as long as possible in a close combat (stam or mag, no matter) - opposite of hit and run. Increasing damage reduction or dmg for staying X time close to a target or with multiple of a targets. Since he will be tough and balance highly on self heal and self dmg he should have some passive health receivning debuff from allied sourcers to not make him immortal skill spammer.

Its hard to tell anything further, point is to make devs think and start working on it. Depends if those will be just 2-3 skills or full rework :)

PS: Lifesteal*
    Edited by Suligost on March 28, 2020 9:59AM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Necro is dark in therms of cropses... I see new NB on health as resource as true dark, terror, blood, gruesome - such themes. Also see him ass buffer rather debuffer (since such jumping he will also debuff himself if his skills cost health), lifesteal is good start but I already thought he's gameplay should encourage to stay as long as possible in a close combat (stam or mag, no matter) - opposite of hit and run. Increasing damage reduction or dmg for staying X time close to a target or with multiple of a targets. Since he will be tough and balance highly on self heal and self dmg he should have some passive health receivning debuff from allied sourcers to not make him immortal skill spammer.

Its hard to tell anything further, point is to make devs think and start working on it. Depends if those will be just 2-3 skills or full rework :)

Nightblade was the original true dark, but as necromancer is getting to be released, nightblade darkness was getting stripped away. coincidence? I think not. Major defile was taken fron nightblade ultimate because it was too strong, but it was put on necromancer blastbone that hits harder than incap, and that is fine because it is a new class.

Your description of the nightblade identity or theme is much like the berserker from Path of Exile. Saping away owns health for the sake of empowering self with attacks and defense.
    Edited by universal_wrath on March 28, 2020 11:52AM
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭

Nightblade was the original true dark, but as necromancer is getting to be released, nightblade darkness was getting stripped away. coincidence? I think not. Major defile was taken fron nightblade ultimate because it was too strong, but it was put on necromancer blastbone that hits harder than incap, and that is fine because it is a new class.

Your description of the nightblade identity or theme is much like the berserker from Path of Exile. Saping away owns health for the sake of empowering self with attacks and defense.

I never said I want to be super original about design but it will be for this game, inspiring is good way to make something better. Besides it doesnt have to be just buffs/debuffs but also dmg skills. For example skill that does dmg dependly from your health dosage. Longer you hold it the more health it takes and more dmg deals. To avoid some dumb nuke range and maintain close-combat idea of new rework it should have little range. Animation could be cool, first he drains blood from himself and then with rapid movement splash infused blood upon enemy in gore slash (weapon should go to second hand like in swallow cuz I hate disappearing weapons). Its just example, there is endless ideas for HP as a resource and tell me its less dark then some bony necro :D

Or could infuse your melee weapon with your own blood and then make slash that sends bloody wave - something like Bloodskal blade from Skyrim.
    Edited by Suligost on March 28, 2020 12:58PM
  • OrderoftheDarkness
    OrderoftheDarkness
    ✭✭✭

Your description of the nightblade identity or theme is much like the berserker for path if exile. Saping away owns health for the sake of empowering self with attacks and defense.

Stamblade is currently rouge from wow or thief from gw2. Magblade is also stuck in this Canon, so the most effective builds are ganking. We can assume that magblade suffers because of stamblade(Magblade is a hostage of Stamblade), although magblade has a more elegant identity, which for me is not very developed. I think this flaw existed before Necro. I also believe that a greater number of classes in the game, who are fighting among themselves make the game more interesting, regardless of the styles. Styles are specifically a feature of Eso. This is why I would like to see a redesign of Nightblade or a new class related to bloody. Currently, this bloody identity is blocked by the nightblade and it is not developing. I also think the changes related to Lifesteal could have been directed at Stamblade too. After that, it will be hard to compare Stamblade with Rouge from WoW or with thief from gw2. Toon will be special. Magblade is already special, it's just held back by the whole idea around Stamblade.

P. S. The cost of abilities from health is also a very interesting idea. In the end, the related changes may look really cool. Mmorpgs have not been able to curb blood magic well. For example Blizzard destroyed Blood death knight turning it only into a tank, although even in lich king at the end of it, you could make a dd and play together with rouge in pvp.
    Edited by OrderoftheDarkness on March 28, 2020 3:06PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start with Shadowy disguise I feel like both anti-NBs complain about how slippery it makes NB and annoying, and NBs complain about how unreliable it is. I actually like it to get a crit and kind of blink in and out. I also feel like it being used as a in combat flat out vanish is what keeps them from adding anything to NB as far as buffs. This will be an unpopular opinion probably among NBs; especially with the stuck in combat bug; but I think I would prefer if you could not enter sneak in combat, but then shadowy disguise would be guaranteed invisibility at least the 3 seconds. Basically you just cant go into sneak in combat, but your crit setup will be garaunteed, and you will be able to shake focus fire. This also would make an advantage for magNB in that they can spam it if they want, but maybe garaunteed would be an issue there so I don't know. I realize that this would make being able to gank someone near a group impossible, so what if Killers blade entered you into invisibility rather than the heal? Something to where if the NB fails, they can't just cloak and keep pestering, but if they succeed, they are rewarded. Killers blade is weaker base damage than executioner AND lower scale percentage. Might be ok if it was just a flat 300% damage under 25% health rather than have to wait till the targets almost dead to get the full benefit but I suspect it just doesnt start scaling until then. Heal is weird. Without the killing power, what good does a heal thats little more than a couple HOT ticks? I think a reward of invisibily or just flat out removes you from combat after a kill would fit better.

Now that that's out of the way and everyone's mad; I'll start with what needs buffed/tweaked

Teleport strike to critical rush highlights something to me. NB seems to be built around buffs and debuff's right now and Ambush has minor vitality. This can be purged, but even bigger of an issue is; its a gap closer that has a delay to take off and a delay on landing it to where it often doesnt feel like it accomplishes that at all. I mean even when the game is working and not in a state where you cant hit someone who is running away from you right now even if you look like youre right on top of them; its clunky and that damage bonus is lost if you cant follow it up.

For death stroke; I really just wish it had the major defile to the base. Then the magicka version would give you ultimate on kill, incapacitating strike would give you the magicka and stamina.

Grim Focus is weird in that the bust skill seems to be NBs delayed burst ability but its not really delayed. Its a build up to activate as you have to us a GCD to fire it off. It also feels like the longest one to get built up with the unreliability of lightt attacks at times. And then its also tied to the defense in damage reduction for a NB to where if you fire it, you lose 10% mitigation. Just spitballing here but I cant help but feel like this should be the NB source of minor protection rather than dark cloak to where each time you gain a stack gives you minor protection for 3 seconds then stays at a stack of 5 and when you fire it, you can go right into minor protection with your first light attack stack. Maybe dark clock could have vitality or something in stead.

I think I'll stop now. Probably not popular opinion anyway.

• Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems to me like you are complaining about performance, not identity.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like the main goal of this thread is asking the devs to delete invisibility skill, and cloak.
    i hope that NEVER happens.
    i love stealth playstyle, if you dont like stealth play style then please play another class instead of destroying the skill cloak and stealth for those of us that love cloak and invisibility and stealth.
    cloak is fine, leave it alone.

Edited by Gilvoth on March 28, 2020 7:14PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think a sap style like an EQ death knight for magblades would be really cool.

Nightblades aren’t the best class, but the way most people play them makes them worse. So many people I see are still trying to run around with sub 20k health builds in pvp and just get rocked. A lot of it is the player’s and not the class’ fault and is a build issue.

Ever played a BG with 4 NBs? They’re horrible, everyone’s looking for someone to hide behind and scatter as soon as pvp happens and just get run down and die.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 28, 2020 7:15PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • OrderoftheDarkness
    OrderoftheDarkness
    ✭✭✭

I haven't played Path of Exile, but I've readed the skills of the Berserk class you wrote about. This looks great, thanks for the tip.
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I think a sap style like an EQ death knight for magblades would be really cool.

Nightblades aren’t the best class, but the way most people play them makes them worse. So many people I see are still trying to run around with sub 20k health builds in pvp and just get rocked. A lot of it is the player’s and not the class’ fault and is a build issue.

Ever played a BG with 4 NBs? They’re horrible, everyone’s looking for someone to hide behind and scatter as soon as pvp happens and just get run down and die.

I didn't play EQ. I understand that we are probably all talking about the same thing, even if we played different games. With The ESO combat system, this could look really cool.

I agree, I also wrote about 4 NBs in another topic.

Edited by OrderoftheDarkness on March 28, 2020 7:53PM
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally (and I main nightblade) I always wanted to see the class get transitioned into a deadly slow kind of class; where the burst damage isn't really existent but if they stay in a fight for 10 seconds or so the damage ramps up crazy specializing in bleeds, poisons, and disease damage to murder their opponent.

In addition to this fitting with class theme their "Assassin's Blade" should likely be the hardest hitting execute in the game but maybe with a lower HP point; 20% instead of 25%. The goal being that these guys are masters at finishing their opponents off once their underhanded tactics have weakened them to the point where they can do it.

One thing I've never been the biggest fan of is currently every DPS build has burst, AoE, and single target over time consistency. And I've always felt that's where ESO lacks a lot of class identity; the difference between DPS is more aesthetics than it is identity; the skills look different but they all do the same thing in the end just certain ones do it better.

A good way to start the diversity chain would be as several people have stated; stop handing every class every single buff/debuff. Make that class worth something just by existing and not the numbers it pulls. If Nightblades are the masters of shadows, deception, and opportunity then throw them Major/Minor Fracture; let that be their staple... Especially don't hand people buffs like the Dragonknights staple Molten Weapons; man that just looks like a mistake, a buff that just hands everyone Major Brut/Sorc with a long timer? What the heck is even the point of giving that buff to any other class at that point.

But yeah specialize the DPS and create actual identities; maybe someone starts up slow but can ramp up their damage up to large proportions with a proper rotation and weaving. (This seems to fit Nightblade/Dragonknight the best)
    Others can achieve high single target damage but don't have the best AoE solutions (Warden/Sorcerer)
    And the last category would be those that can deal good single target and high AoE target damage but that means they reach their peak pretty quickly in terms of DPS. (Templar/Necromancer)
    Then make each DPS have their own usable buff/debuffs to bring value to group play in both PvE and PvP.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Elder Scrolls lore, Nightblades are elusive, illusive, and reliant on magicka. The idea of making them a stam-centric warrior class kind of flies in the face of what the NB class identity is and has been. For instance, this is the class description & skills from Morrowind:
    Nightblades are spellcasters who use their magics to enhance mobility, concealment, and stealthy close combat. They have a sinister reputation, since many nightblades are thieves, enforcers, assassins, or covert agents.

Specialization: Magic
    Attributes: Willpower, Speed

Major Skills:

Mysticism
    Illusion
    Alteration
    Sneak
    Short Blade

Minor Skills:

Light Armor
    Unarmored
    Destruction
    Marksman
    Security

Spells:

Shield (Shield 5 points for 30 seconds on self)
    Water Walking (Water Walking for 60 seconds on self)
    Fire Bite (Fire Damage 15–30 points on touch)
    Chameleon (Chameleon 10% for 30 seconds on self)
    Sanctuary (Sanctuary 10 points for 30 seconds on self)
    Detect Creature (Detect Animal 50–150 feet for 5 seconds on self)

That sounds kinda like what the class used to be like in ESO, before the current combat team decided to take an axe to it, rather than a scalpel.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magblade dual wielding is pretty much what I picture the nightblade to be in elder scrolls lore.

Hopefully they go through with the change to make all light/ heavies scale with highest offensive stats so it will be more viable to use swords as magicka.
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    Ehhh, that wasnt rly goal of this topic. The goal is to rework it I dont care about current state anymore its beyond help, they wont bring it back and another whinning thread about which buffs I want wont give anything. Besides identity is uniuqe playstale etc, mechanics not a buff/debuff.

Lore? Its not even one A4 page in the game that can be deleted and in the core lore of Elder Scrolls (Single games) traces of blood abilities/magic/weapons exist.

Please ZOS close the topic before it turns into another garbage...
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    To begin with, they should really rewrite any text which refers to NB class as a hight damage assassin. Since this is very misleading.
    Then, if they do not want NBs oneshoting ppl in PvP (which makes me sorry but I understand their motive) they should implement something else. In my not so humbe opinion the only way how to keep the high single target damage and prevent oneshotting is to introduce some mechanism, where you do more damage if you fight longer, as seen on some sets.
  • OrderoftheDarkness
    OrderoftheDarkness
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry TS. I didn't want to go on either, but I'll leave this text here.

Title - Sorcs powercreep due to NBS weakness.

We can assume that Magblade and Stamblade are supposed to be a hard counter for Magsorc, but in reality this does not happen. It turns out even their ganking identity (Stamblade is more efficient in this case) is held back by such "cool" killers as mag sorc.
    I would like Magblade to be meta and I am ready to suffer from them and die, but Magsorc must suffer even more.
    Magsorcs have become so many that they can ruin interesting games on BG, driven by their desire to kill(I'm not talking about winning or losing, I mean there are a lot of them). I understand that some people by their nature adapt to where it is better (for example, the number of kills and deaths), but still ZoS why do you encourage them in this. Magblade should carry and be a hard lever of pressure for Magsorcs, almost like the domino principle.
    I will immediately add that this is not a veiled thread of nerf for Sorcs.
    If you don't want buffs Nbs, then rework is needed. At the moment, Nbs is the white crows in this entire food chain. Redesign Lifesteal into something like Drain health poison, giving it the ability to ignore shields, ignore resists, and possibly even ignore reduce damage. Shorten the duration of debuff. This is not a fact it is just my suggestion of changes
    P. S. Result. He does not cope with his role as a whole and this does not depend on the level of players, because there is someone who does it better. Nbs has the only effective identity let's call it Assassin, but Magsorc does it better(even than Stamblade) and it's not about the appearance of Necro, as some might say. Necro is not a ganker.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just remove the nightblade class for good,

I love my redblade when it was great for ambushing,

too many cry babies on the forum and it got nerf to oblivion,

I still play as nightblade, I mean, I still die as a nightblade.

why make a rouge class in the first place.
  • blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone gets cloak now. Rip nightblade
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5soYqcd.jpg

Can I have a free class change token ? All my achievements, accomplishments, and fully levelled skills (Undaunted, Crafting, Guild, Psijic, world, base game / all chapters / dlc story quests are there... and it is useless now....

All NBs at this point should receive such possibility. At least the ones whose 1st character crated was a NB or characters with "most hours" playtime.

Rip me :disappointed:
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on March 30, 2020 2:22PM
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    Some of new vampire skill line matches my new idea of NB but okay, im not gonna insult anybody...

Just want to say on top that they gonna have hell with nerfing and buffing it over and over again since everyone will have access to it.

Also too much magicka, magicka players dont stack health besides, psijic already has masss CC, NB has his crappy CC and hypnosis is another crappy CC for magicka.

I mean im not crying but kinda dissapointed with outcome and as for nightblade... well how I said REWOOOOOOOOORK (and bye bye cloak defenders).
    Edited by Suligost on March 30, 2020 2:31PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that non-nb players who have little to no idea how invisibility works and they are like, yes, yes, give it to every one, give it to everyone ! ! ! ! ...

Let me tell you this:
    You... you have... no.. in your worst nightmares you have never ever thought of what is about to come. All those new broken class gank combos that are about to come with this new invisibility passive ?

You will beg on your knees for ZOS to remove this.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on March 30, 2020 2:42PM
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that non-nb players who have little to no idea how invisibility works and they are like, yes, yes, give it to every one, give it to everyone ! ! ! ! ...

Let me tell you this:
    You... you have... no.. in your worst nightmares you have never ever thought of what is about to come. All those new broken class gank combos that are about to come with this new invisibility passive ?

You will beg on your knees for ZOS to remove this.

All those gangs dropping out of invisibility ults/skill combos while on new cold blood skill and on top of that with titanbron set xD

I just bought Bannerlord, enjoy the day :)
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I like playing a rogue I’m not a warrior
  • OrderoftheDarkness
    OrderoftheDarkness
    ✭✭✭

Sorcs can be powerful wizards and powerful warriors that Zeus could only dream of.
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭

Sorcs can be powerful wizards and powerful warriors that Zeus could only dream of.

I think playing tough warden/dk with vamp invisibility might be better version of NB rogue but players that are free AP and kicked out of any pve veteran will still fight over their cloak.