Maintenance for the week of June 1:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 1
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – June 2, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 3, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)

What is the official policy on buying crowns for gold(gifting)?

mikejezz
mikejezz
✭✭✭
If you get scammed and you can show it (video recording or screenshots), will zenimax help you or is scamming allowed?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The official policy is crowns and the items we purchase with them are in-game items. That makes it legitimate to trade gold for something from the crown store.

Gina's statements

To clarify, trading an in-game item for other in-game items is allowed; trading in-game items for real-world money or other out-of-game items is strictly prohibited.

A Crown Store item is considered an in-game item.
    Really, idk
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The official policy is crowns and the items we purchase with them are in-game items. That makes it legitimate to trade gold for something from the crown store.

Gina's statements

To clarify, trading an in-game item for other in-game items is allowed; trading in-game items for real-world money or other out-of-game items is strictly prohibited.

But what about scamming? If I trade my gold and instead of getting a gift I get scammed as in not receiving the service I paid for.

Will I be able to get official help or is it just gambling?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scamming of any kind is not allowed.

Report any scams and include any screenshot or videos if you have them available.

ZOS will not let you know of any actions taken against the scammers so you may never know if they got punished.

You may or may not be compensated for the scam, but they will often tell you that it's a one time courtesy if they refund anything you were scammed for so I wouldn't make a habit of expecting scam compensation repeatedly.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭
    If they drop the ban hammer hard enough and fast enough on scammers that will discourage scamming. Most developers take that stuff seriously and the penalties are harsh/swift.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can avoid a good deal of scammers by utilizing trade guilds to middle man the transaction. Many large trade guilds offer these services for their members.

In addition there is the Tamriel Crown Exchange discord which will middle man your transaction as well; they have a long list of transactions and trusted middle-men that can ensure scamming doesn't happen as well as a list of known scammers.

(A middle-man is someone who holds your gold until the person gifting you the crown store item does it; once you confirm you received the item properly they send the gold to the crown seller. If you are the crown seller you won't receive gold until the person confirms with the middle man they got their item. The system is two way; you can see when someone claims your item so you can confirm it yourself with a screenshot if the other person tries to lie for some reason.)
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To add onto this, the official information is that you trade crowns for gold at your own risk. Meaning while people have gotten refunds, many have not, and ZOS technically has made it clear that they reserve the right to stay out of it.
    (The fact that there's no consistency and getting a refund seems to depend on the current mood on whatever CS representative gets your report is uh... another topic.)
    Edited by Raisin on March 23, 2020 6:28AM
    I'm bitter. Also hilarious.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikejezz wrote: »
    idk wrote: »

Gina's statements

But what about scamming? If I trade my gold and instead of getting a gift I get scammed as in not receiving the service I paid for.

Will I be able to get official help or is it just gambling?

That is not what you originally asked or I would have answered.

People have said they have been helped initially but have had problems getting Zos to help them after being bailed out before. Basically, Zos may expect us to learn from our lessons. Regardless, there is nothing to require Zos to step in and help. You should consider the risks before entering into such a trade.

I do not trade with strangers as it is an obvious high-risk trade. Just as with real-life, common sense should be used. People have done it multiple ways such as using a middle person to hold the gold until the crown item is received. Both have to agree on a middle person. I understand a discord server has been set up to help with trades. It still comes down to taking precautions.
    Really, idk
  • Daenyres
    Daenyres
    what's the going rate for crowns anyway? gold not real money.
    We are all but dust and shadows.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭
    Daenyres wrote: »
    what's the going rate for crowns anyway? gold not real money.

400 gold per crown.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭
    This system is not made as a tool for trading gold for crowns or vice versa.

It is made as a gifting tool. So you could gift a crown item to a family member, guild mate etc.

I strongly discourage you from trading crowns for gold (or vice versa) with a total stranger.