The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

alcast HQ builds

ryry2010b14_ESO
how good are those builds? I was thinking about once i got to cp 160 using alcasts warden tank build. however some peopel say the builds arent good until a certain level. i get to get the most out of it u need all the cp points but does that make it automatically bad?
Shiveria of Daggergall. Templar DPS/Heals
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I view them as a roadmap. He even says that they are just that. Tweaks you can make to suit your playstyle.
    I think he leaves something to be discovered, the reason is, he doesn't want people complaining on here and the sets getting nerfed.
    Edited by akdave0 on February 25, 2020 12:22AM
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're a good starting point for skills and gear. You should them change it up to suit you.
  • ryry2010b14_ESO
    do they still work well on the ps4 version? i see a lot of his passives and the gear i want to follow skills i may tweak :3 but the gear seems super solid
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are in general a good starting point I guess. For DDs they are pretty standard meta builds as far as I have seen and since situational adjustment isn't too important for DDs that works pretty well. For tanks and healers I have seen some questionable things in his builds, so I am not sure on those and in general, going with some fixed build doesn't really work for those roles as situational adjustment is really important.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quoted post has been removed.

False God can be really good in pure single target, because the offensive stats that the perfected version provides together with the cost reduction can be more efficient then running other forms of sustain on builds that can not sustain base regen.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on February 25, 2020 2:14AM
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think FG on a healer build is fun, you have the mobility to move to heal where needed and helps escape the sweaties sometimes.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda like the dummy humping craze, his website isn't meant to be taken as gospel, but it's certainly a good place to begin practicing and learning what feels good for you and your play style. They're a baseline - and he's got several sets listed in a guide that you can mix and match to get good results for whatever build you're using.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate what Alcast does but I, too, find the redundant nature of his gear setups to be entirely forgettable.

He should add a "Class Flavor" or "Non-Meta" section to his builds where complementary gear options that actually lean into the unique playstyles of the different classes could be housed.
  • albertberku
    albertberku
    ✭✭✭
    As some people mentioned, Alcast`s builds and guides are very helpful for new players and they are very good starting point to know what set is good and what skills are useful. I used to follow his builds all the time. Cant talk about pve (i would expect his builds to be on point when it comes to pve) but after a while you realize his pvp builds are relying on his general knowledge of the game instead of practical experience. But not until hundreds of hours into the game. Then you just follow actual pvp streamers. Every streamer has one favorite class that they play all the time. So their builds and gameplay videos are more insightful. For example, kristofereso is a stamplar main, nirnstorm magdk, malcolm magsorc, bislobo stamdk, etc. It is all about which class you are interested in more.

I dont do PvE much but when i now and then go to a dungeon as a tank, dps or healer, first thing i would do would be looking Alcast`s recent builds to see what skills and gears are used at the moment and then probably copy the whole build. If i werent doing pvp regularly, i would probably do the same for the pvp, as well. But in the end, i feel like there are less freedom in PvE. There are facts, you have numbers. So, if a skill or set is good, then it is good, not much discussion about it. You exactly know which set or which skill is better in a certain content. It all comes down to skill and experience of execution. In PvP, there are many variables and playstyles.

Edited by albertberku on February 25, 2020 1:31AM
  • ryry2010b14_ESO
    im trying to get into warden tanking :3
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People talking down Alcast builds smh...

I’ll say this, for someone who is unable/unwilling to spend a lot of time tinkering on PTS... his pve builds are an amazing resource. Tells you everything you need/skills to use and you can pull very respectable numbers by following them.
  • ryry2010b14_ESO

I’ll say this, for someone who is unable/unwilling to spend a lot of time tinkering on PTS... his pve builds are an amazing resource. Tells you everything you need/skills to use and you can pull very respectable numbers by following them.

so the tanks one are decent to start with?
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭

so the tanks one are decent to start with?

Been a long time since I’ve done any tanking... but when I did I started with Alcasts tank build. One thing to note is that for support especially, it’s ideal to have several sets that you can swap out depending on what is best for your group. For starting off, the best tank build is one that can keep you alive... worry about providing more group utility once you have got that mastered imo.
  • albertberku
    albertberku
    ✭✭✭
    im trying to get into warden tanking :3

yeah, i would copy Alcast`s whole build and then start playing and do changes to the build if you want to after getting some experience. Cant think of a better starting point. Then you can get into a PvE guild and ask other tanks for tips. This is probably what everyone does, anyway.
    Edited by albertberku on February 25, 2020 1:38AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For PvE I use alcast, for pvp I check Dottz.

If you’re a starting player I’d absolutely use it as gospel, then if you go hardcore try and improve upon them. I see all builds as a starting point and then see if you can improve upon them, or cater them to your playstyle.

If you’re a casual player it’s very unlikely you’ll be able to improve any of those builds.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 25, 2020 1:37AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate what Alcast does but I, too, find the redundant nature of his gear setups to be entirely forgettable.

He should add a "Class Flavor" or "Non-Meta" section to his builds where complementary gear options that actually lean into the unique playstyles of the different classes could be housed.

lol he had Sheogorath's Corner for a while, which was probably going in that direction, but I don't think it got enough hits to justify the time and effort. He's mentioned on stream that people really love their classic setups and meta-chasing... So that's what he spends the most time on, I guess.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    For PvE I use alcast, for pvp I check Dottz.

I make my own builds but sometimes i check for other builds on google/youtube to get some ideas or in case i missed something.
    I've seen their pvp builds and i don't like any of them tbh.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    His PvE buILDS are good, the 1 bar sorc pet build for instance allowed me to very quickly solo pretty much everything that's Not DLC in PvE land. Not sure why the negativity.

Tank builds, fine too. Very much application and environment based. I'd sugges Tanking in trials with his builds is easy too.

PvP, it's a very different story. Although his viscous death proxy set build was fun for groups of potatoes.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a handful of posts, we must remind everyone that all posts should be kept civil, constructive, on topic, and within the guidelines of the rules we have in place. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on February 25, 2020 2:24AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Because they are not that good. They are designed for one thing, max parses on dummies. it is not realistic in real content. As i stated, his magicka builds for the most part are horrible. This magdk one is worthless. He has spell symmetry, a waste of a slot, and false gods, a waste of a set.
    I have a dumner magdk, used regen food, never have to heavy attack and do not use false gods or sypell symmetry so why use resource sets and skills when not needed.

Other than sorc and magcro, no one mag class needs false gods.

other thing is, he spends the time because it helps his website and youtube channel to make money. He does it for money. Its a job to him and funds his schooling.

it is a game, the fun part of games is discovery.

Trial and error. Have fun, ignore the youtubers.

[Edit for bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on February 25, 2020 3:04AM
  • MusCanus
    MusCanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    His PvE buILDS are good, the 1 bar sorc pet build for instance allowed me to very quickly solo pretty much everything that's Not DLC in PvE land. Not sure why the negativity.

Cause anyone with half a brain can do that.
  • 1mirg
    1mirg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how good are those builds? I was thinking about once i got to cp 160 using alcasts warden tank build. however some peopel say the builds arent good until a certain level. i get to get the most out of it u need all the cp points but does that make it automatically bad?

For Newer Players there's good starting points.
    But outside of that, no.

If you are thinking about running soely on his builds, I'd advise you dont.
    If you want to just use one of his builds as a starting point then make it into your own thing, then go for it.
    ┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤ ⅽ[ː̠̈ː̠̈ː̠̈] ͌ ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »

Tank builds, fine too. Very much application and environment based. I'd sugges Tanking in trials with his builds is easy too.

PvP, it's a very different story. Although his viscous death proxy set build was fun for groups of potatoes.

The 1 bar sorc build wasn't his idea at all he stole it and put it out js
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imo as a starting player I'd use every skill and find out what you like and what's fun. One at a time.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing almost 9 months now and here is that fact of builds. They are designed for CP810 in mind. Sometimes they will make suggestions for CP 300 and 600 but the people designing the build are working out the kinks for an 810 build.

Here is the other sad truth, it's not till CP400 that you have enough CP to really start flavouring your build. CP650 is when you start picking up enough passives from your CP trees to really start to be truly effective in a group.

You will hear from so many people with caped CP that CP dose not really matter but it does. Till you get CP 400 use the beginner builds that help you explore your skills. Don't just grind levels but do content that gets you skill points as they matter as much as CP. You can get CP810 and your char will suck if you don't have the options skill points get you. Quest to unlock the skill lines you need. Builds use allot of different skill lines. PvP even if you hate it, why, skill lines.
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So nice to see so many true colors come out...

Don't follow YT'ers. Just trust in my words as holy scripture and think yourself, be sure to know the meta to stay on par or don't bother continue to play the game though, cause my personal discoveries are better for all you new players.
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I saw on his youtube channel in the last day a comment from him saying maybe hold off on making wholesale changes until the new chapter to avoid the possibility of wasting a lot of resources.
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest mistake I see people make with Alcast builds is not understanding how the gear, skills, potions, and food work together. People take bits and pieces of his builds ("I can't get this set so I'll just substitute this set that I can get") without realizing that some aspects only work well because of the other aspects.

It pays to read the stats on each skill and item and understand why he chose what he chose. If you need to make a swap because you don't have a certain item or skill, make a swap that doesn't disrupt the synergies among all the items.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    The biggest mistake I see people make with Alcast builds is not understanding how the gear, skills, potions, and food work together. People take bits and pieces of his builds ("I can't get this set so I'll just substitute this set that I can get") without realizing that some aspects only work well because of the other aspects.

It pays to read the stats on each skill and item and understand why he chose what he chose. If you need to make a swap because you don't have a certain item or skill, make a swap that doesn't disrupt the synergies among all the items.

But bob over here said it would work better with x food and pots cost to much oh and mat said this trait on my weapons would be better too
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast puts in mad effort to make & test all these builds. I do like to check them out to get ideas, especially because he always has a video telling you why the sets/skills chosen go well together & how you might need to adjust playstyle to suit the build. Gotta respect the guy's commitment to the game.

NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.