The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Update 25 feedback

• Lintashi
    Lintashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longer loading screens after update, not just first one after patch. Performance feels the same. Redownload went without any problems, took 3.5 hours. Fps while fighting boss in Murkmire on peak hour was 6-7.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    /snip snip @virtus753

To respond to both of you...
    When a programmer says "You will see performance improvements" it usually doesn't mean everyone. If you do something that fixes shadows on Nvidia cards but shadows for AMD cards worked great already... AMD users won't see much if any improvement. You will still generally list it as "hey yall some FPS improvements!" in the nachpotes.

Also, they just completed part of a huge rewrite. Most of you have exactly zero clues what that entails so just to give a brief insight into it I don't expect to see anything actually "improve" until at least two rounds of bug stomp patches(aka 2-3 weeks) to land.

I personally saw performance improvements and have not suffered crashes in PVE(PVP we won't talk about). I know someone else who saw their FPS go up nearly double. I also know three people who saw their FPS dive.
    Chances are the "dives" are bug related.

I was never under the impression that *everyone* would see fps improvements from this update, as I don't think that's realistic, but if fps was not in fact a target of Update 25, then ZOS is doing no one any favors in advertising it as such. FPS improvements are one of only four major takeaways -- and one of only three major performance-related takeaways -- of Update 25 on that timeline.

It would be different if this had been a one-off natchpote, but this is one of the premiere features of Update 25 on a timeline that has been advertised for 8 months now. Update 25 is not the cure-all some people make it out to be, to be sure, but if we can't trust ZOS to be accurate about the specific key targets of their updates, such as fps, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the process. That's not saying 100% of players should see fps improvements in all circumstances, of course, but ZOS seems to think a significant part of the player base will see some notable improvement -- otherwise they'd only be misleading that player base at a crucial time.

My questions concern not what people are actually seeing in game but the apparent contradiction between ZOS' claim that fps was in fact a target of this update and your observation otherwise. I'm trying to ask what you're seeing or not seeing that's leading you to say that. When someone with programming experience says seemingly the opposite of what ZOS claims, some of us with "zero clues" get very curious about the contradiction there, since most of us are not programmers and can't evaluate such claims without further insights. I'm not accusing you of being wrong because "ZOS says otherwise"; I'm familiar with how fallible ZOS can be. On the contrary, I'm interested in hearing what in your experience leads you to say what you did, and secondarily I wonder why ZOS would run the risk of overpromising but underdelivering at a critical moment for much of their player base.
  • Noxeee
    Noxeee
    ✭✭
    In terms of frame rates, they have remained static for me, which I have no issue with given that they are 80 to 144 at 1440p/max settings.

Otherwise, I have noticed only improvements:

1. The game is far more responsive in all aspects from UI to gameplay;
    2. Magicka Necromancer feels much better to play now. Blastbones/Mystic Siphon work better.
    3. My GCD's work as they should; and
    4. No other perceived negatives.

I should also add--I run a lot of addons, and none of them are "broken". I have had no issues.

In terms of content feedback - the new DLC dungeons, in vet, have been fun thus far. :).

Thank you for your efforts, ZOS.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is any one else having an excessively slow download time for this update?
    My update started about 5 a.m. my time and is currently only at 14% and it has been 10 HOURS!
    I had the launcher set for unlimited download size but it seems that has made no difference.\

Any one?....
    My update started about 5 a.m. my time and is currently only at 14% and it has been 10 HOURS!
    I had the launcher set for unlimited download size but it seems that has made no difference.\

Any one?....

@Moira_Darling I have, I started hours ago and am only at 11%. Normally, my download speed is never this slow.
    Opalblade wrote: »

Any one?....

@Moira_Darling I have, I started hours ago and am only at 11%. Normally, my download speed is never this slow.

Same here. 10 hours and I'm only at 18%. I've never had anything download so painfully slow.

@Moira_Darling @ArchangelIsraphel @Opalblade This is a bug with their launcher that they’ve ignored for years. Somewhere around the 20-30% mark it will jump to 100%. Your download is fine, it’s just that the % part and progress bar is useless. Look at the bottom left text to see how much of the download is left to go, and you’re probably all nearly done :smile:
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FPS wasn't the target of the update.
    The server load was.

Hmm, it actually seemed to me that this round of 'performance improvements' was primarily client-side and to be sure that's exactly what I've noticed: FPS have gone up when nobody is around, but there's no noticeable improvement in busy locations.

Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Opalblade
    Opalblade
    ✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

Any one?....

Any one?....

Any one?....

Same here. 10 hours and I'm only at 18%. I've never had anything download so painfully slow.

@Moira_Darling @ArchangelIsraphel @Opalblade This is a bug with their launcher that they’ve ignored for years. Somewhere around the 20-30% mark it will jump to 100%. Your download is fine, it’s just that the % part and progress bar is useless. Look at the bottom left text to see how much of the download is left to go, and you’re probably all nearly done :smile:

Over 12 hours for something that would normally take 2-3 hours at the very most is not fine. It did finally speed up once it hit 19% at least. Now it's at 65%. Maybe my connection just happens to be really bad today idk.
  • KoultouraS
    KoultouraS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can someone tell exactly how many gbs the elder scrolls online folder has reached after the reduction?
    Mine is 66gb atm.
    Just checking.
    Edited by KoultouraS on February 25, 2020 10:10AM
  • Silent84
    Silent84
    ✭✭✭
    didn't have any expectation, i was very sure will be 0 improvement in performance, they lie again, they just change the size of the game, no idea how you can lie like this, i build and fix pc every day and test them for 12 years now, they can't fool me this game has any change in performance i am very disappointing again, love this game and i hope to play it again, but when i see how it runs in cyrodiil and trials makes me go back to other games... :(
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Significantly more crashing in high traffic areas. But that might be because they are substantially busier right now.

No problems whatsoever in dungeons.

Loving the two new dungeons, especially Unhallowed Grave. The best DLC dungeons for ages.
  • HappyHaunt1000
    To be honest this update is geared towards PvP, Trials, and dungeons. While those are significant parts of regular MMO's I find it disappointing and discouraging. Elder Scrolls has always been about exploring and doing quests, while I admit the PvP is an intragul part of MMO's since it is an Elder Scrolls game(or that's what it's advertised as) the PvE should be balanced better. Let's be honest PvE players will tend to buy more crowns and have a great reason to keep an ESO plus membership running. If a PvP player wants to they can simply buy the packs and enough crowns for the storage containers and save the monthly payments. If I was a PvP player that's what I would do. After all once you purchase the doc's you don't have to pay for anything else.
    I sat quietly with my own thoughts today
    Remind me to never do that again
  • Silent84
    Silent84
    ✭✭✭
    i notice when you dismount you got stutter, check the fps when you do it :disappointed:
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • metabLast3r
    metabLast3r
    ✭✭✭
    I did crash several times in Cyrodiil myself, causing me to conclude my pvp session yesterday in frustration. However, I did a dolmen test to see weather my FPS would drop like it did before with all those players and particle effects happening and it did appear to be stable at 50-73. Before the patch it use to crawl down to the 20's with everything happening on screen (I'm using a 1080 on 1440p).
  • asuzab16_ESO
    asuzab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Pleasantly surprised with the update so far. My framerate is about the same in most of the zones but in towns, I saw a huge boost. I could never go higher than 60 fps (165hz screen) and I had tons of fps drops but since the patch, I get constant 100 fps in towns and it feels really smooth for the first time since the release. I also went from 250ms to 170ms and the game feels a lot more responsive than before. Now, I'm just crossing my fingers so they don't screw it up next patch :D
    Edited by asuzab16_ESO on February 25, 2020 1:05PM
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    /snip
    They didnt over promise anything. You simply didnt understand what they were doing.
    They released a roadmap for a reason. It will take time. They are rewriting huge portions of the game. That is not easy, simple, or cheap to do.

The main focus of U25 is to:::
    What are the benefits of this update?

Once this update is complete, you will see major improvements to the game’s load time and the speed at which assets are loaded into the world.

Most notably, this change dramatically reduces the patch sizes for all future updates, and it results in a major reduction of space taken up by the client on your machine’s hard drive. Our console players will feel this improvement most strongly, and PC/Mac players also benefit from this change.

It focuses on the interactions between the server's interior components and the client. If you were midline or low end this will increase performance. If you were on an I7 you won't see much FPS gain but you should see loading speeds and transitions happen faster(faster being sometimes invisible if you also had a high-speed SSD etc since 15% of an SSD load can be .04seconds).

In short, while they did improve client-side function the roadmap isn't complete and this update was focused more on fixing server capacity issues rather than fixing client saturation issues.

• mfcostacampos
    mfcostacampos
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really noticed much difference in the way of performance, but noticed the following:

Good stuff
    I was doing Shoul Shriven in Coldharbour and now characters no longer spawn behind the door when you first enter a room. NPC spawn points seem to be better placed.
    Doesn't make a massive difference, but I guess it's still in improvement.

Bad stuff/bugs
    - There have been reports of the Hooded Figure no longer spawning
    - In Soul Shriven in Coldharbour, when you enter the Prophet's Cell, some of Lyris's dialogue is now mute with no animation
    - When you start the game fresh and have to accept T&Cs, pressing the E key stopped working

The above is what I've found so far, but not great how there seems to be no change in performance and a host of new bugs that weren't there before
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pleased that pledges have been moved in the quest log from their relevant zone to a consolidated 'Undaunted Pledges' category.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? Oh, this would make finding older open pledges soooo much easier!
    Edited by mikikatze on February 25, 2020 1:41PM
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm pleased that pledges have been moved in the quest log from their relevant zone to a consolidated 'Undaunted Pledges' category.

I was happy to see that as well.

In cyrodiil, when not crashing to desktop, it seemed better. Getting better slightly better FPS and lower latency. Overall it feels better, but the crashing was pretty rough.

In PvE is seems mostly the same with lower latency. My FPS have always been around 80-100 in PvE and stayed roughly the same. In some more populated cities doing writs there seemed to be a slight improvement.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any one?....

Any one?....

Any one?....

@Moira_Darling @ArchangelIsraphel @Opalblade This is a bug with their launcher that they’ve ignored for years. Somewhere around the 20-30% mark it will jump to 100%. Your download is fine, it’s just that the % part and progress bar is useless. Look at the bottom left text to see how much of the download is left to go, and you’re probably all nearly done :smile: [/quote]

Not exactly, the launcher will download the main install file, which finishes about 20%, then it installs that file (this will go up to speeds of around 40-50 mbps in the corner) and finish around 40%. Then they will download a patch for the main file at their current speeds again (I think this is around 25Gb), then it will install that file.
    Then the last 20% is granted for verifying files and other stuff.
    But yea, it does go a lot faster after the first 20%. But I don’t believe it’s a bug, it’s just the percentages they grant for processes that are generally faster than the download itself.
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Edited by NeillMcAttack on February 25, 2020 1:57PM
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It honestly hasn't felt any different for me

If I'm in Murkmire though I'm runnig at 5 fps or so. Everywhere is a mostly smooth 80-100 fps. I get that is mostly due to the sheer number of people that are there. Load times don't feel any longer or shorter though. Crashes are up a bit, but only when I've been trying to get to level 4 in Cyrodil (yeah yeah I never bothered in 5 years till now).
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting to spend the morning monitoring my computer, but the download and installation took around an hour.

When I first logged in other players and NPCs were loading faster - no black silhouettes or waiting for the NPCs to spawn (my home base is Elden Root).

Then I made the mistake of enabling add ons. I started seeing the black silhouettes again, and NPCs took longer to spawn, but it was still faster than before the update.

The true test for me was to go hunting dragons in S. Elsweyr because every time I go, I get stuck on loading textures. It did happen again last evening (with add ons enabled), but I was stuck for less time. I'll try again today with no add ons enabled.

The positives I noticed: the game feels more responsive, my character seems to move faster and it feels like I have more time to fire my skills. I can see the red from enemy attacks clearly/ see attacks I couldn't before. The biggest improvement for me was that in a situation where there is a bunch of players firing skills, I can finally see more than just flashes from the FX.

The negatives: I've had a few crashes, which is something that had seldom happened before, but that is being addressed already. My combat pet (a clannfear) is not behaving like it was before the update, but I made a thread about it so I won't repeat that here.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working as always (came after another crash in combat: account already logged in)
    Edited by Curious_Death on February 25, 2020 3:56PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While the patch notes state "Our biggest focus for this update was further improving game performance, with an emphasis on frame rate stability", I haven't noticed much change in that regard. A few more red ping spikes (and ping instability in general), which concern me. Honestly, a little disappointing.

The return to sanity of some AOE costs is welcome.

I hear a lot of positive comments on the new dungeons.

They really could have left IceHeart and the Direfrost lever alone though. Sometimes I really don't understand this company's mindset when it comes to eliminating harmless things players enjoy.
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    It's cool to have about 29 Gb less in the game folder, but FPS in-game took a dive for me.

I used to play on 70-100 FPS, and not it doesn't get higher than 50. Usually it's between 50 and 30.
    What a shame. :(
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For clarity: There is no reason to expect in increase in FPS unless the bottleneck was on your machine.
    The biggest change arriving with Update 25 is the Patching Overhaul. This update completely changes how the ESO game client is downloaded, patched, and stored on local hard drives. Because of this change, ALL ESO players are required to re-download the game client. Once complete, you will see improvements to the game’s load time and reductions in hard drive space requirements for future updates. You can learn more about this major overhaul in this article. There’s a free pet to be snatched up, too!

Additional performance updates associated with this patch include improvements to frame rates, the loading of fixtures and characters, and more, so don’t hesitate to check out our performance improvements timeline or Update 25’s patch notes on the official forums for everything you need to know.

From the patch notes
    Optimized multi-threading implementation to improve performance in situations with lots of effects (particles, projectile effects, weather, etc.) happening at the same time.
    Optimized specific processes that could cause spikes in resource usage and cause FPS drops.
    Parallelized the fixture update processes, allowing them to utilize multiple cores to improve overall performance of the game client.
    Added additional miscellaneous CPU optimizations including the following:

Of all places, Cyrodiil would be the last place to expect improved FPS. Try dungeons or overland gameplay away from busy places.

Edited by Muizer on February 25, 2020 9:05PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • oneway123
    oneway123
    ✭✭✭
    Many crashes, sorc skills not working properly, streak,overload,boundless storm are a few that have been noted. Combat feels in general just slower which for me is worse. So far performance is worse all around, but being that it’s only 2 days in I will give that time. But so far seems this patch has been a net loss for me!
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I keep getting insane ping spikes that I wasn't getting before, even in more crowded areas (like Murkmire bosses atm) or when I'm by myself with no one else around me. And by insane spikes I mean upward of 6k. Hopefully it clears up soon.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA solo PvE. Working fine and I appreciate that this update included almost no nerfs.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo