The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Update 25 feedback

Rinthetharmo
Rinthetharmo
✭✭✭
So far i love this game update, the game feels much more smooth and responsive in game + more diskspace <3

The only negative things ive xperienced so far was the long login screen time(understandable considering the billions trying to login), and some tabbing out issues.

The game icon will flash on the taskbar when tabbing out sometimes(seems to be when u get whispers? I hope this can be disabled in game settings somewhere).

It sometimes takes longer to open a new browser tab as well, right after tabbing out.

Also 2 times so far ive had tabbed out internet page icons overlap in game when i tab bk in, like a search bar and such, which then vanishes shortly after.
A friend tabbed out and the game crashed, that could be a Murkmire zone combination tho.

Update!

We did Icereach on vet, and tried the hm as well, the hm seems fun and insane, but still doable. It is however way way too easy on vet, it is no challenge at all to heal, the skelliton xplosions didnt even hurt u lol? This need to be increased in difficulty. We even did one 3 man without problems..

We did the Secret Boss run in Unhallowed Grave and it was so much fun to find those 3 xtra bosses, specially that first one! I love that dungeon even more now! Even the journals and notes in there were a great read!

Still 0 crashes for me so far, and I even run with about 100 addons with many not yet updated, so tis not an addon issue. I have a better in game performance myself, not that it was bad b4 tho, but its a visible positive feelz! :D I see many who definitly have crash issues tho, that didnt have it b4>< We did one run with a guy who crashed about 30 times during that dungeon. Some guildies report better fps, some now get swings that didnt happen b4, most didnt seem to notice anything at all so far performance wise. Updating the graphic card helped for some. In game loading screen times are sometimes even longer than b4 for me. Logging in is faster on the first loading screen, the second one sometimes also takes longer than b4.

This annoying flashing taskbar icon NEEDS TO HAVE AN OPTION. I am going insane with that persistant flashing when i tab out, and it STRESSES ME OUT and forces me to log bk in b4 i want to, just to remove it. This is a bad tactic and provocation imo, that should be an option for ppl to choose. Small things like this can cause a lot of stress for ppl today! If there alr is an option i didnt find it yet? This is something that will quickly start to annoy and frustrate me, and make me dislike this update for that reason alone!

Me and Red T says thank you \o/
Edited by Rinthetharmo on February 26, 2020 11:22PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Merkers is a crash fest atm.

No real increase in fps
  • Floyd_Stash
    Floyd_Stash
    ✭✭✭
    oh wail and woe save us poor gamers from this incompetence..
    Cancel your subscription - Only buy store items with ingame gold.
    Accept the timesink, refuse the zenimax player-milking tactics!
    - You are NOT a cow! Stop acting like one!
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You didnt even play the game for a day yet

What can be so smooth?

Not gonna believe such things until I play in Cyrodiil at prime time

This will tell
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far i love this game update, the game feels much more smooth and responsive in game + more diskspace <3

The only negative things ive xperienced so far was the long login screen time(understandable considering the billions trying to login), and some tabbing out issues.

The game icon will flash on the taskbar when tabbing out sometimes(seems to be when u get whispers? I hope this can be disabled in game settings somewhere).

It sometimes takes longer to open a new browser tab as well, right after tabbing out.

Also 2 times so far ive had tabbed out internet page icons overlap in game when i tab bk in, like a search bar and such, which then vanishes shortly after.
    A friend tabbed out and the game crashed, that could be a Murkmire zone combination tho.

Me and Red T says thank you \o/

"The Elder Scrolls Online taskbar icon on PC clients will now light up if something time sensitive (ready checks, combat, etc.) occurs in-game when it’s not being focused." From the patch notes :)
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC EU - having huge lag spikes. Rivenspire - 55 PR to 3060 PR, Craglorn 65 PR to 2133 PR.
    All addons are disabled.
  • Vanathil
    Vanathil
    ✭✭✭
    The game feels smoother indeed,but when I was in Murkmire, it crashed twice, I was only killing some monsters when it happened. Tho' I was near at one of the world bosses, there were maaany players, I don't know if it has to do anything with it, but I'm a bit concerned. I never had crashes.. well perhaps in cyrodiil, but that's another subject
    Edited by Vanathil on February 24, 2020 4:48PM
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FPS wasn't the target of the update.
    The server load was.
    There will be bugs. Oh, gods, there will be bugs.

Yes, oddly enough this is normal.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW the initial long load screen after a major update is perfectly normal/usual. What happens on first character login is that the game rebuilds and updates the shader.cooked file, which takes a lot of processing and disk time. It's not really a "server busy" issue, or at least not only that.
  • Rinthetharmo
    Rinthetharmo
    ✭✭✭
    We just did the 2 dungeons, both ran perfectly smooth and lagless as well and they were awmazing both of them, especially unhallowed grave, it was so well made and had fun mechanics, and that last boss visual i almost stumbled bk in real life! GJ ZOS on those dungeons! Really great story in them also, i recommend u read all the journals and notes in them as well!
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The server load was.

Optimized specific processes that could cause spikes in resource usage and cause FPS drops.

Nuff said...
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The server load was.

But they literally said on the improvements page that they expected us to see improved frame rates: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681

It did come with that huge caveat about how they would monitor these improvements in heavily populated areas, but improved fps was one of the three things we were told to expect, along with shorter load times and smaller patch sizes.

If the changes they made were not designed to improve fps, they should not have said we should expect to see that.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The server load was.

Optimized specific processes that could cause spikes in resource usage and cause FPS drops.

Nuff said...

Well its lower fps than before but no more spikes xd
  • Moira_Darling
    Moira_Darling
    Soul Shriven
    Is any one else having an excessively slow download time for this update?
    My update started about 5 a.m. my time and is currently only at 14% and it has been 10 HOURS!
    I had the launcher set for unlimited download size but it seems that has made no difference.\

Any one?....
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Juries still out. Haven't actually played.

Just popped in to pick up the noncombat pet and check addons. But the initial movement in-doors was laggy.

Will give it a real run later tonight.

:#
  • nk125x
    nk125x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complete crash fest - piece of garbage
    No Lag because everyone id crashing
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    (Posted in another location as well): ZOS - I don't use addons. I have crashed 4 times in 90 minutes. Each time it has something to do with port from one keep to another in PVP, or Rezzing to a keep. There are no fights nearby, however there were some being cleaned up. I was porting essentially from the end of one fight to another location where players were gathering.

Hope that helps.

• Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Log off
    CTD

Who tested this???
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My update started about 5 a.m. my time and is currently only at 14% and it has been 10 HOURS!
    I had the launcher set for unlimited download size but it seems that has made no difference.\

Any one?....

@Moira_Darling I have, I started hours ago and am only at 11%. Normally, my download speed is never this slow.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Rinthetharmo
    Rinthetharmo
    ✭✭✭

Any one?....

It took under 2 hours for me, pc with 100mb fiber, urs seem to take very long, unless ur on a bad net
  • Belyar
    Belyar
    ✭✭✭
    i have lower MS but 20 less fps.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Multiple crashes to desktop

No noticeable FPS improvement

• Pajor
    Pajor
    ✭✭✭✭
    No change for me. Only thing I get is no sound when I turn the game on
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Long loading screens.
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed a significant FPS improvement. I run 3 monitors in surround at 5760x1080 and in high pop fights I am above 50 FPS average. The issue so far today is the crashing. Submit your crash reports in detail so that ZOS can fix the crashing.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I've seen a FPS decrease of 30-40% with spikes that drop it to single digits. Latency has increased 10-50% from what it was before.Turned off the handful of add-ons I still use and it didn't help. Only had one CTD but haven't tried Cyrodiil yet. I expected hiccups on the first day and it's too early to call it but this is pretty disheartening and the opposite of what I consider an improvement.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /snip snip @virtus753

To respond to both of you...
    When a programmer says "You will see performance improvements" it usually doesn't mean everyone. If you do something that fixes shadows on Nvidia cards but shadows for AMD cards worked great already... AMD users won't see much if any improvement. You will still generally list it as "hey yall some FPS improvements!" in the nachpotes.

Also, they just completed part of a huge rewrite. Most of you have exactly zero clues what that entails so just to give a brief insight into it I don't expect to see anything actually "improve" until at least two rounds of bug stomp patches(aka 2-3 weeks) to land.

I personally saw performance improvements and have not suffered crashes in PVE(PVP we won't talk about). I know someone else who saw their FPS go up nearly double. I also know three people who saw their FPS dive.
    Chances are the "dives" are bug related.

• Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cautiously optimistic so far. Took me 12hours to download my spouses and my copies of the game. They were about 61gb each. I have a 25mbps connection so it downloads at an effective 3.3 MB/s, just under a gb per hour, which is my maximum connection speed.

When his reached 100% the play button on the launcher said repair. I closed the launcher and reopened it, after which it downloaded and verified another 8mb, 4mb and 3.1gb. Mine downloaded and verified without incident.

I logged in both accounts, and after the usual long post-patch loading screen... success. I did not play the game as I had to go to work, however 3 things I've noticed so far.

Ping remains the same, around 250 for me in South Africa, but that is a product of my isp and location. I will pug some Craglorn tonight and see how it behaves because the spikes are Zos' issue and what ruins my experience.

The fps has dropped by at least a third from around 80-100 to 50-65. It isn't bad enough to cause stuttering yet but this is in Riften, not a main hub, at 06:00 in the morning. I'll check it after work again.

The loading screens. These are what really killed me. Before the patch, average transition between zones, into delves and housing was between 1min30 to 1min50 seconds. During events, it could go to 2min30 or endless and crash to login. Character logout to login of the next character was a minimum of 4 to 5 minutes. A painful process that made disconnecting in Cyro, dungeons or trials utterly frustrating. Now... 13seconds between zones and 1min to 1min10 for character relogging. I am bloody ecstatic! I will test after work when traffic becomes heavier but if this change is permanent, then using up my entire month's data for the downloads was absolutely worth it and will make the game 200% better for me.
  • Opalblade
    Opalblade
    ✭✭✭

Any one?....

@Moira_Darling I have, I started hours ago and am only at 11%. Normally, my download speed is never this slow.

Same here. 10 hours and I'm only at 18%. I've never had anything download so painfully slow.
  • nejcn001
    nejcn001
    ✭✭✭
    Patching was OK for me. After i downloaded 25gb it somehow restarted (maybe my LTE lost connection for a sec, dunno).
    After 11 hours of downloading everything worked, was able to do 2 raids, BG's, daily without a problem.

I didnt notice performance changes, mainly cuz i have fixed fps to 73 (75hz screen) and there is a bit of drop in cities.
    Didnt notice anything special with screen loading, ill have to check it out for a few days. I
    Gotta test it on my laptop.

Very satisfied.
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see any significant performance upgrades (I'm not talking about load times, that does not bother me much), I still see FPS drops as before, currently playing in Murkmire.

In general:
    i7 8700K
    16 GB DDR4 - Hyperx Predator
    1070 GTX
    SSD
    all watercooled

What freaking fps drops in ESO, it should not be, I don't have any issues elswhere-

Not happy, it seems I expected more optimization work on engine, which didn't happen at the end.
    Edited by RefLiberty on February 25, 2020 6:45AM