The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How to update on an SSD with "only" 50GB free space?

Jayman1000
Jayman1000
✭✭✭✭✭
FOUND A SOLUTION:

From the folder ESO\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot delete enough .dat files so that there is sufficient free space for the upgrade.

I have ESO on a 180GB SSD along with a few other programs, which leaves the drive with 50GB free space. Unfortunately the ESO launcher still tells me I do not have enough free space to upgrade.

How much space is minimum needed for the upgrade? Maybe my only option will be a complete uninstall then fresh installation?
Edited by Jayman1000 on February 24, 2020 9:28AM
  • Dosuul
    Dosuul
    ✭✭✭
    You can upgrade the game on a bigger HD and after it finished move it back to the SSD ?
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dosuul wrote: »
    You can upgrade the game on a bigger HD and after it finished move it back to the SSD ?

But the game is currently installed on the SSD, how do I upgrade it on another bigger HD when it is on the SSD?
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »
    I have ESO on a 180GB SSD along with a few other programs, which leaves the drive with 80GB free space. Unfortunately the ESO launcher still tells me I do not have enough free space to upgrade.

How much space is minimum needed for the upgrade? Maybe my only option will be a complete uninstall then fresh installation?

I just deleted the data files in the ESO folder. Not sure how it's gonna turn out, but it's downloading now. My guess (hope) is that it'll just patch everything & repair if needed.
    Edited by Langeston on February 24, 2020 9:14AM
  • Dosuul
    Dosuul
    ✭✭✭
    But the game is currently installed on the SSD, how do I upgrade it on another bigger HD when it is on the SSD?

Simply move the folder from the SSD to a HD and start the launcher from inside the folder on the HD.

• Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uninstall first, that's what I'm gonna do.
    EU PC
  • fetito666
    fetito666
    ✭✭✭
    I uninstalled the Steam files, but it downloads again 90 GB. Shouldn't be the new client size be like 60 GB?
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fetito666 wrote: »
    I uninstalled the Steam files, but it downloads again 90 GB. Shouldn't be the new client size be like 60 GB?

Read this.
  • Dosuul
    Dosuul
    ✭✭✭

I'm not on steam, but I think steam downloads an old version on the game and the ESO patcher patches it up to the current version, I guess it would be better to simply update the client... which is what ZoS suggests btw, too.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »

FOUND A SOLUTION:

From the folder ESO\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot delete enough .dat files so that there is sufficient free space for the upgrade.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭

FOUND A SOLUTION:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.
  • p4l4mu7
    p4l4mu7
    ✭✭✭✭
    FOUND A SOLUTION:

I have ESO on a 180GB SSD along with a few other programs, which leaves the drive with 50GB free space. Unfortunately the ESO launcher still tells me I do not have enough free space to upgrade.

Go to Zenimax Online folder and delete Elder Scrolls Online folder which is around 98gb I also had 50gb on my ssd now it is downloading.
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you sir deserve an awesome
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Dosuul
    Dosuul
    ✭✭✭
    p4l4mu7 wrote: »
    Go to Zenimax Online folder and delete Elder Scrolls Online folder which is around 98gb I also had 50gb on my ssd now it is downloading.

Can confirm did this too and it worked.

• Panthermic
    Panthermic
    ✭✭✭

You just made unnecessary headache for yourself...
  • Boneskull
    Boneskull
    Soul Shriven

FOUND A SOLUTION:

This solution worked perfectly, thank you very much kind soul!
    I had the same issue with a 256gb SSD, I had around 50gb of free space and the laucher said the space is not enough.
  • Dosuul
    Dosuul
    ✭✭✭
    B)
    Edited by Dosuul on February 24, 2020 11:40AM