The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why are most healers females?

TheGreatBlackBear
TheGreatBlackBear
✭✭✭✭✭
ESO has an overwhelmingly male player base but when you look at healers it seems to be dominated by women. Why is this?
Edited by TheGreatBlackBear on February 19, 2020 7:09PM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Women (IMO) tend to be more compassionate, so it's natural to want to heal and care.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sexist thread is sexist?
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • CASP3R421
    CASP3R421
    ✭✭✭
    inb4lock as is tradition

My Alt is a Mer

Due to the excessive amount of bait that we had to remove, this thread will remain closed
  • CASP3R421
    CASP3R421
    ✭✭✭
    also plz nrf the *** magic healing powers

My Alt is a Mer

Due to the excessive amount of bait that we had to remove, this thread will remain closed
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cultural gender roles and stereotyping, mainly. The conditioning of thousands of years of that is hard to shake, even if we’re not always conscious of it.

Thankfully we have the freedom to make any gender character any role in this game. Always happy to see a wide variety of avatars and roles in game, not just in healing but in everything.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male and a healer main here.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Male and a healer main here.

Congrats! And how often are you partnered with another man in raid as opposed to a woman?
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO has an overwhelmingly male player base but when you look at healers it seems to be dominated by women. Why is this?

Overwhelmingly? Got stats on that?
  • CASP3R421
    CASP3R421
    ✭✭✭
    real talk i know a TON of females that play this game, and a bunch of them play male toons to avoid cringey ass *** like this XD

My Alt is a Mer

• Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Male healer here too...I don't main a healer but I have a kickas* one I love playing.
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From pug groups to the sweaties the healers are more often than not women and the tanks and dps are more often than not men.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the healers I know are men
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My healer is a Bosmer....
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From pug groups to the sweaties the healers are more often than not women and the tanks and dps are more often than not men.

And you know this how? Avatars’ genders are by no means reflective of the genders of the players behind them.
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

And you know this how? Avatars’ genders are by no means reflective of the genders of the players behind them.

Because voice chat exists?
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any statistics to support your claim that an overwhelming amount of healers are females?

Besides:
    It wouldn't surprise me though if this assumption will be confirmed by statistics, because, generally speaking, women tend to lean more towards 'taking care of' kind of roles (such as jobs in healthcare) in society too. Which is not a sexist or bad thing at all. These 'taking care of' roles are just as important as other roles in society.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »

Lol come on, do you seriously believe the playerbase is even between males and females in eso?
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone should watch the YouTube videos of females in MMO gaming. They do provide the truth of being a girl in a MMO.

Majority of girls do play healers. They also tend to play healers really well as well. Out of all the female players I have met and became friends with in various MMOs. Only 3 played as DD. one played a tank and the rest were healers. My wife played another MMO and as a buffer. She didn't like healing or tanking but like to do the buffing. Maybe one day I can get her to play ESO.

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Women (IMO) tend to be more compassionate, so it's natural to want to heal and care.

Naturally? I think a big part of it is stereotyping and gender roles/expectations. Girls are raised to be caring and nice while boys are regularly encouraged not to help but to compete.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I'd say your sample size of seeing (or hearing) women as healers is probably too small to make an accurate conclusion. Like I mentioned above, all the healers I know are male. All of us from our own prospective are gonna have skewed views of how many men/women are healers.
    Edited by January1171 on February 19, 2020 7:33PM
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »

Lol come on, do you seriously believe the playerbase is even between males and females in eso?

Why is that so outlandish to you?

And there’s also a big difference between “even” and “overwhelmingly male”.

Again, real stats (not anecdotes, come on) please.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are talking about the gender of the character or the player?

I will certainly acknowledge that if we are talking about gender of the actual player, trial healers seem to have a higher percent of Female players compared to the average population.

Why is that? Well, most of human history shows us that men really like to destroy stuff, and women often have to clean up the mess. Haha.

I think there is also something to be said about the fact that online gaming does seem to be dominated by men (certainly not nearly as much as it used to be). Healer is often not the most desirable role to play (i get some people love it, but it's certainly not the most popular thing to do). I also think it is perhaps the easiest role to play (although there are certainly fights where healers have the toughest job). I might be that this is an easier position to break into end game, so female players use that as there way in to elite groups. Please do not construe any of this to suggest that I think men are better at gaming then men, because nothing could be further from the truth. I know plenty of female characters than can kick my virtual (and probably physical) butt. Haha
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's the case in majority of game
    Maybe it's the nature for we bois can't control our urge to poke chicken :trollface:
    Edited by r34lian on February 19, 2020 7:33PM
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And you have been in voice with a statistically significant sample of the player base? When there are 13 million active accounts?

Your personal sample would also be biased according to players who prefer to be in voice and to do activities that require voice, not to mention platform and megaserver (unless you split your time equally between all six).

Why not ask why more men prefer to join in voice chat with strangers in a multiplayer game? You’d also have to account for players who mute — perhaps women happen to mute more often than men, in light of the perceived gap between women and men in video gaming? Society tends to construes video gaming as stereotypically “a guy thing” — just like the stereotype of the NFL. Stereotyping says football is a “man’s game” and women don’t like it generally speaking. But that’s not what the stats say.

You need statistically significant numbers if you want to make this about anything other than your particular experiences.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets see, i am trying to remember the last time i noticed, much less cared about, the gender of the members of the group I am with in a game.

If you perform your role in the gamd, it matters not what your plumbing is to me.

Sitting across from you for a romantic dinner, then I care about gender.

Edited by Nestor on February 19, 2020 7:34PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And you have been in voice with a statistically significant sample of the player base? When there are 13 million active accounts?

Your personal sample would also be biased according to players who prefer to be in voice and to do activities that require voice, not to mention platform and megaserver (unless you split your time equally between all six).

Why not ask why more men prefer to join in voice chat with strangers in a multiplayer game? You’d also have to account for players who mute — perhaps women happen to mute more often than men, in light of the perceived gap between women and men in video gaming? Society tends to construes video gaming as stereotypically “a guy thing” — just like the stereotype of the NFL. Stereotyping says football is a “man’s game” and women don’t like it generally speaking. But that’s not what the stats say.

You need statistically significant numbers if you want to make this about anything other than your particular experiences.

So after that letter what's your answer? That the healing role isn't mostly filled by women?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 9 characters who have healed at least one DLC dungeon each. 7 are male, including all the ones who've reached Undaunted 9 or 10.
  • Hati
    Hati
    ✭✭✭
    I think I only played with 3 women by far, I'm not much of pug myself, so one played only DD, other healer/DD and the last i was teaching to tank before she quits the game.

So who knows, my statistics are different from yours, in ESO at least.
    The one who hates.

• darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You've obviously never met my ex.
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always seen about half and half on healers. Tanks on the other hand, have very few women, in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.