The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Something is going on with Gamepad UI combat.

Soundinfinite
Soundinfinite
✭✭✭
Using my Magsorc as an example of rotation issues.

When you switch bars there is about a 1-sec lag if not more where my characters will not perform any skills. My characters stand frozen for this duration. Also, though I have switched bars and my screen shows the new bar (back) when I activate a skill it sometimes activates the skill on the front bar instead. Lastly, there seems to be something clogging the information relay as I my skills will not fire at times. For example, back bar haunting curse to mystic orb to wall of elements but the character will get stuck and not throw down a skill, mostly the last wall of elements and i will literally have to continue pressing the square button repeatedly up to 6-7 times before it throws out the skill.

Thus, switching to back bar I become frozen for a second or so, then suddenly it will throw a light attack from a standing position, then I can start my rotation, haunting curse, light, orb, light, wall of elements (won't cast) hit repeatedly, finally cast, switch to front bar, frozen again for a second, then suddenly throw a light attack from a standing position and allow me to start casting my light attack vs spam combo with crystal shards thrown when it procs. When i do throw crystal shards I have about a 50/50 shot of becoming frozen again for a second or so and again not able to cast skills.

It is as if my Gamepad is in molasses with the communication to the game hindered in some way. Before I deleted all add-ons Action Duration Reminder would even log the key press and start counting down the duration without the skill registering or firing on the screen.

As such on all of my toons (not just my mag sorc) are losing 5-10k DPS in the same gear with the same skills compared to what I currently am able to reach on live.

I have deleted PTS and re-downloaded it. Deleted User Settings gone back to all defaults, Disabled all add-ons, turned my video settings down to the lowest settings, my screen res down to 720p. Tried every witch way I can think of to remedy this and yet it still functions like this no matter what I do.

Except if I turn Gamepad UI off. I do not have a mouse (use a gaming laptop) and simply using the track pad for light attacks and the numbers at the top of the keyboard, I can fluidly switch bars and use skills without gumminess, frozen character, and skills that don't fire.

My husband and I use the same computers, bought at the same time, with the same Ethernet wired internet connection, and sit at a desk made for two right next to each other. The only difference is, he has a gaming mouse and uses keyboard and normal UI (Cause he is an active gamer) and I use a PS4 controller with Gamepad UI (Cause this is the only Computer game I've ever played in my life and we started initially on PS4) He is not having the issues as I am, and he is amazed when watching me try to parse has to how my character is not reacting to my input and the juddery, frozen combat I am experiencing. Again that goes away if I turn Gamepad UI off.

My computer specs are:

8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core 2.2 GHZ (3.9 Turbo boost)
16 GB DDR4 Memory at 2667 MHZ
Nividia Geforce GTX-1060 6GB + Intel UHD Graphics 630 2GB
Intel Optane+ SSD 447 GB
Ethernet Wired Broadband at 100Gb Down/60 Gb Up (Speed test consistently at 96Gb down/56 Up)

So I far surpass minimum required specs, and even beat Recommended specs. Yes, it is not a $4,000 desktop set-up, but I bought it to simply play this game and this game alone...and up until this release, it has done so quite well.

Between the lack of custom scaling now in Gamepad UI and the large swath of issues I am having with Combat in the Gamepad UI, I am becoming very disgruntled over Update 25 Release.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think there’s issues with the ps4 controller. Mine refused to work right also. (Right trigger was blocking; couldn’t mount horse or look at map)

But I switched to my aftermarket scuf ps4 controller and it has no problems. well, on the pts anyways. On live it has some issues, but they’re a bit different to the ps4 controller.

Maybe an Xbox controller could work better? I haven’t tried one yet, but who knows right?
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bar swap lag happens to me now on the live server. I'm using an Xbox controller.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use the PS4 controller on Mac with complete satisfaction (and I've seen that it works even better on the last PTS patch).
    However, the Dualshock does not goes well with my PC, not the same issues described in OP, but barely playable nonetheless. The problem is solved using an Xbox controller with the PC (I use an inexpensive 360 cabled one): Microsoft + Microsoft = perfect match.
    That said, I still prefer the Dualshock on Mac, but it's a personal preference
  • Soundinfinite
    Soundinfinite
    ✭✭✭
    @phileunderx2 @fiender66 @kylewwefan

Thank you all for the feedback.

However, what I don't understand is why I don't have these issues currently on live. And previously my highest DPS Parse was on PTS 3 weeks ago while it was still on UPDATE 24.

These issues have just started on PTS Update 25. I haven't had them anywhere else in game play (excluding Cyrodill of course, but then ya know...thats Cyrodiil)

And while my FPS holds better during parsing compared to live, and I log-in much faster compared to live...if this is the tradeoff...lower DPS, molasses reaction times, and unscalable UI, then I really don't want Update 25...

BTW instead of just uninstalling and reinstalling PTS, I completely Deleted PTS and all folders related to it on my computer and re-downloaded it a 3rd time... The issues persist.

But I have found, if I block cancel back bar I can get all my skills to fire (most of the time) now. Which I've never been a block cancel, DPSer...hit around 70k on my NO-Pet Magsorc without it, and thus have just gone without learning how to do it, cause I got really good at light attack weaving. I know block cancel will raise it further, but now Im trying to learn block cancel just to get my rotation out. And yes, still I'm below my average parse on the character by 3-5k and that is with me being forced to use block cancel.

I dunno, just really bummed about this.
  • Soundinfinite
    Soundinfinite
    ✭✭✭
    So,

I stated the above issues on the PTS cycle. and put in a bug report in-game PTS. There were only 3 respondents to the forum post, and was basically told it was my PS4 controller. And of course no response from in-game, but wasn't expecting one.

I spent the last 2 weeks of PTS Parsing like 6 hours a day relearning how to weave my rotation, and use the muddy, juttery, skills not firing combat, and basically relearning how to play the game. I warned my guidlmates of the issues I was having and recommended for them to test PTS and see if they needed to do the same. Most told me not to worry. That it wouldn't be like this on live. It's the PTS servers which aren't the same as live. Things would be better once the update was on the live servers.

Now I'm hitting 82k DPS on the toon...haha.

UPDATE 25 goes live and the bulk of the community becomes inflamed because all these problems are game-wide on PC and Consoles and was not JUST a gamepad problem, but combat issues for EVERYONE!!!!

I'm now normally the top to 2nd DPS in all my Progressive Vet Trail Runs.....
    Edited by Soundinfinite on March 14, 2020 4:46PM
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They hyped this performance patch for like 9 months (when the roadmap came out). Patch releases, and combat is inarguably in the worst state we've seen in the last 3 years. The fact that even after this complete blunder on their behalf, they still haven't rolled back all combat related changes, just shows that the combat aspect of the game is an afterthought.

It was a good meme for a while, now it is just depressing.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    They hyped this performance patch for like 9 months (when the roadmap came out). Patch releases, and combat is inarguably in the worst state we've seen in the last 3 years. The fact that even after this complete blunder on their behalf, they still haven't rolled back all combat related changes, just shows that the combat aspect of the game is an afterthought.

It was a good meme for a while, now it is just depressing.

FACTS.