Glass style should be reworked?

OhNoDaedra
Hello everyone, someday, I decided to look for glass style in ECO, and was very surprised to see that it does not really look like glass. I always saw that in Morrowind, or as in Skyrim and that was really glass and great. Does the design team have plans to redesign the style?
That was glass style
MW-item-Glass_Weapons.jpg
285?cb=20121118054620

That is now
https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/file/Elder-Scrolls-Online/glass_robe_light_female_back_big.jpg
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I doubt they'll redesign it. There vanilla styles are in more need for an upgrade since they're dated and low res but there's no money in it.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You want the Buoyant Armiger style from the Morrowind Chapter, on Vvardenfell :smile:

It's inspired by Morrowind's glass style:
    DzIkUQsXcAM2b7h.jpg

ESO's standard glass style was designed on the Skyrim glass aesthetic.

ESO Glass concept art:
    eso-glass-armor.jpg

Skyrim glass:
    4Q-1p01cstQ3OU0eFcPBw6vz9KBqR-JzDtfshA-p9zw.jpg?auto=webp&s=75db4a4baf15106311539b80667a9a41874e0955
    Edited by Darkstorne on January 29, 2020 1:29PM
    Options
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    You want the Buoyant Armiger style from the Morrowind Chapter, on Vvardenfell :smile:

DzIkUQsXcAM2b7h.jpg

ESO's standard glass style was designed on the Skyrim glass aesthetic.

ESO Glass concept art:
    eso-glass-armor.jpg

Skyrim glass:
    4Q-1p01cstQ3OU0eFcPBw6vz9KBqR-JzDtfshA-p9zw.jpg?auto=webp&s=75db4a4baf15106311539b80667a9a41874e0955

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! =)
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like what we have now :) the base game races ones and “rare” ones....now those need an update!
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
    Options
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    I like what we have now :) the base game races ones and “rare” ones....now those need an update!

Unfortunately after boobwindowgate, I doubt that’ll happen. Too bad though, I wish they could at least look like they were stitched together with skill, instead of huge, visible stitches. Tim Gunn would not approve :D
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of us were disappointed by the look of the glass motif when it was released.

I think it makes the most sense to think of Glass as a crafting material rather than a style (despite its use in game as a motif style) There was never any consistency in the appearance of Glass Armor I’m TES games, and it evolves over time to accommodate conditions and fashion.

You showed Morrowind, here’s Oblivion:
    latest?cb=20141220191302

And Skyrim:
    ZcDCx_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

ESO also gives us a wide range of materials and weights. Light Glass armor in ESO is clearly made of glass threading and fibers rather than cast, as it appears in heavier armors and previous games. Some of the Heavy glass materials look much closer to what we were used to in TES games, but need dyed to get that TES glass color feel.

Interestingly, Buoyant Armiger is much closer to what many people expected from Glass armor In ESO.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    doomette wrote: »

Unfortunately after boobwindowgate, I doubt that’ll happen. Too bad though, I wish they could at least look like they were stitched together with skill, instead of huge, visible stitches. Tim Gunn would not approve :D

Boobwindowgate? Tell me more!
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »

Orcish heavy armor used to have a boob window. You can see it if you look at some of the early promotional screenshots. (I guess someone on the marketing team liked that armor, for some reason.)

After launch, ZOS redesigned the Redguard and Orcish styles to be more... representative of ZOS's vision of those two races, I guess? I mean, I think the new Orcish armor is fine, but some folks lament the missing boob window. However, the Redguard light armor was absolutely gorgeous, and I still pray that they bring it back (perhaps with nicer texture). I can't bring myself to wear the "new" Redguard style.
    Options
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    opaj wrote: »

Orcish heavy armor used to have a boob window. You can see it if you look at some of the early promotional screenshots. (I guess someone on the marketing team liked that armor, for some reason.)

After launch, ZOS redesigned the Redguard and Orcish styles to be more... representative of ZOS's vision of those two races, I guess? I mean, I think the new Orcish armor is fine, but some folks lament the missing boob window. However, the Redguard light armor was absolutely gorgeous, and I still pray that they bring it back (perhaps with nicer texture). I can't bring myself to wear the "new" Redguard style.

Ok I found the boob window. It does look kinda silly on heavy metal armor so I understand why they removed it. orc-boob-window-armor.gif
    The window makes much more sense on Grim Harlequin, since it's more leather and cloth based and is designed by and for mad people ;)

I can't find the old Redguard armors. Do you happen to have some screenshots?

Sorry for the offtopic but this is important stuff.
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »

Ok I found the boob window. It does look kinda silly on heavy metal armor so I understand why they removed it. orc-boob-window-armor.gif
    The window makes much more sense on Grim Harlequin, since it's more leather and cloth based and is designed by and for mad people ;)

Sorry for the offtopic but this is important stuff.

Lol, nice boobs... i mean armor :-)
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what the orc armor used to look like: orc-boob-window-armor.gif

And this is what I found for the Redguard, although modeled by a dunmer

EUAndala2_zps07acbf74.png
    Edited by Elsonso on January 29, 2020 4:03PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda wish they'd bring those two back? I'm not really a fan of boob window armor but I'm always for giving people more choices (and if someone wants to run boob window armor of their toon, more power to them imo as long as I have the option not to).
    That said, the Redguard one is really good and I lament it's loss though I'm a great fan of the current Redguard style.
    Options
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

This is what the orc armor used to look like: orc-boob-window-armor.gif

And this is what I found for the Redguard, although modeled by a dunmer

EUAndala2_zps07acbf74.png

That explains why the staff in The Ebony Flask are now wearing Redguard light armour...
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
    Options
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually talking about the high level Redguard light armor when I say it was gorgeous. The low-level light armor isn't really my style... That said, I could imagine someone actually wearing that in their day-to-day lives. I can't say the same about the revamped light armor.

Okay... I dug up this thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/157563/how-do-you-feel-about-the-changes-to-redguard-and-orc-armor-designs

Here's the old high-level robe jerkin compared with the new:
    r%C3%BCsi%2B3.png
    (This image is from the above thread. Credited to SewerFairy.)
    Edited by opaj on January 29, 2020 5:57PM
    Options
  • OhNoDaedra

DzIkUQsXcAM2b7h.jpg

Thanks, there is craft by questing or need to buy by crown store?
    Options
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A handful of Skyrim modders had nifty ideas ... such as these Glass Shoulders.

dd54xgs.jpg
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Old, Tier 4 Redguard medium armor:

OC4nxqi.jpg?1

The heavy armor was a straight upgrade. The only major difference was that the helmet used to have black eye slits, instead of actually showing the character's face.

The real problem was, of course, that they'd completely redesigned the light and medium armor for Redguard. I'm not sure anyone was actually mourning the Orcs.
    Options
  • DarknDarker
    DarknDarker
    ✭✭✭
    OhNoDaedra wrote: »

DzIkUQsXcAM2b7h.jpg

Buoyant Armiger motif chapters can be found in chests on Vardenfell. good luck finding them, seems its at beas around a 1-2% drop rate.
    Edited by DarknDarker on January 30, 2020 5:23AM
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DzIkUQsXcAM2b7h.jpg

Buoyant Armiger motif chapters can be found in chests on Vardenfell. good luck finding them, seems its at beas around a 1-2% drop rate.
    The drop rate increases the more quests you have completed in Vvardenfell. Although I'm unsure right now if that's just the mainquest or any quest.

By now it should probably be relatively cheap in guild traders too.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

DzIkUQsXcAM2b7h.jpg

The drop rate increases the more quests you have completed in Vvardenfell. Although I'm unsure right now if that's just the mainquest or any quest.

By now it should probably be relatively cheap in guild traders too.

From what I remember, it was a binary, "You have X achievement," or not. But, this is a really hard number to test.
    Options
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I dislike about the glass style is its floating flaps. I don't like this "feature" of ESO "fashion" in general.

I miss the old models. Some of them looked really good and if you look in the old TES games, there are plenty of such costumes.

@starkerealm Our chars look so similar :)

This is the old Redguard disguise, I think it is Forebear (early 2015, Valley of the Blades quest)
    hh7TJAQ.png

Here is an other nice tunic which is not available anylonger (this pic is from December 2014 and I still play this char) :)
    u1XDrEo.png

I really hope they would add more outfits like that, because we have plenty of the usual stuff with plates, spikes, and flaps.
    Edited by kind_hero on January 30, 2020 9:04AM
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one showcasing -why- it was changed:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg
    ...to look like -actual- "armor" and not just skimpy clothing.

For the advanced versions too...
    b76f1a61f68f927584f1e58296e80a2d.jpg
    2e6e473b088452945f20d219b4dd01cc.jpg
    kind_hero wrote: »
    I miss the old models. Some of them looked really good and if you look in the old TES games, there are plenty of such costumes.
    I liked the redesign for "oh, this is supposed to protect" looks...
    ...but I always felt a little sad they didn't think to reuse the old "skimpy" visuals for their stealable "civilian clothing"!!!

And for soctumes... eh, we have -way- skimpier costumes with dancer silks or bathers towels, so even I who usually would argue armor should cover stuff would agree that the old visuals would have a place there... ;)
    Options
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here is one showcasing -why- it was changed:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg
    ...to look like -actual- "armor" and not just skimpy clothing.

For the advanced versions too...
    b76f1a61f68f927584f1e58296e80a2d.jpg
    2e6e473b088452945f20d219b4dd01cc.jpg
    kind_hero wrote: »
    I liked the redesign for "oh, this is supposed to protect" looks...
    ...but I always felt a little sad they didn't think to reuse the old "skimpy" visuals for their stealable "civilian clothing"!!!

And for soctumes... eh, we have -way- skimpier costumes with dancer silks or bathers towels, so even I who usually would argue armor should cover stuff would agree that the old visuals would have a place there... ;)

I completely agree. I really like clothing-like motifs in ESO and I wish we had more.
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options