Maintenance for the week of June 10:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 10

Should players have a minimum of 24 character slots?

LoneStar2911
LoneStar2911
✭✭✭✭✭
There's 6 classes.
There's 4 different specs/builds for each.
That's a minimum of 24 different character creations if you want each character to focus on one spec/build.

As it is now, there's a maximum of 18 characters you can create.

We need at least 6 more character slots, please. Whether they come for free with a Chapter (unlikely), or we have to buy the slots from the crown store. We should have access to more slots.

Do you agree?

P.S. I tried to make the poll as unbiased as I could. I'd genuinely like to know if there are others out there, like me, that want more characters for whatever reason.

Should players have a minimum of 24 character slots? 207 votes

Yes, I want more character slots.
36%
vailjohn_ESOcalitrumanb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOxaraanKendaricvisind2b16_ESONemesis7884KhenarthiZephiran23Yukon2112NerouynCloudtraderathekaJKorrmustangmorgan31OneForSorrowThevampirenightTheShadowScoutATreeGnomepod88kk 76 votes
Yes. I may not use them, but others should be able to have them if they want them.
24%
huntgod_ESO1mirgTinolynDanikataubrey.baconb16_ESONanfoodleMitrengaisimsiz755leeuxEdaphonAlnilamEsvartornku5hLadyNalcaryaXDark_One13LadyHeloisemax_onlyGadget4VietfoxKalik_Gold 51 votes
No.
32%
Nyteshadebelial5221_ESOInklingshaploeb14_ESOGythralnpukalainjbrennanb16_ESOmareeelb16_ESOElsonsojircris11PocketNovaStreegaCaffeinatedMayhemDMuehlhausenCowNRBTaleof2CitiesLadyDestinyGarishDalsinthusSanctum74 67 votes
Other.
6%
MeinChurrowenchmore420b14_ESOEdziuBananaArchMikemTyharEvilAutoTechghastleyJanuary1171Dusk_CoventhadjarvisRefLibertyMerguezMan 13 votes
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Serious question worth asking - why is there a limit in the first place? Especially if you are an ESO+ subscriber?
    Options
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Serious question worth asking - why is there a limit in the first place? Especially if you are an ESO+ subscriber?

I don't understand why you voted no, and then go on to say there shouldn't be a limit at all. Did you just not like how the poll was worded??? Sincere question.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.
    I have 6. I only really log in to 3 of them. I have absolutely no comprehension how someone can keep up with 24.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Amber322 wrote: »

I don't understand why you voted no, and then go on to say there shouldn't be a limit at all. Did you just not like how the poll was worded??? Sincere question.

I don't like the character slots approach.

My favorite games are generally single-player RPGs. I came to this game mainly because it's an Elder Scrolls game and you can play it as a single-player RPG. How many character slots are there in the typical, single-player RPG? Effectively none, because the developers didn't arbitrarily limit how many characters you can create in the first place. So then I ask myself the question - why did the developers of this game limit how many characters I can have? What were the reasons behind it?

While there may be some technical reasons, the answer more than likely comes down to MONEY. So when I think about the question "do I want more character slots" the question becomes "do I want to be exploited more by this company with superfluous monetization?" The answer to that question is no. Double no when I factor in I'm already a subscriber, which voids the "but it costs more server space to store more characters" counter argument.

So maybe that's technically more of a no/other. :s
    Options
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the character slots approach.

My favorite games are generally single-player RPGs. I came to this game mainly because it's an Elder Scrolls game and you can play it as a single-player RPG. How many character slots are there in the typical, single-player RPG? Effectively none, because the developers didn't arbitrarily limit how many characters you can create in the first place. So then I ask myself the question - why did the developers of this game limit how many characters I can have? What were the reasons behind it?

While there may be some technical reasons, the answer more than likely comes down to MONEY. So when I think about the question "do I want more character slots" the question becomes "do I want to be exploited more by this company with superfluous monetization?" The answer to that question is no. Double no when I factor in I'm already a subscriber, which voids the "but it costs more server space to store more characters" counter argument.

So maybe that's technically more of a no/other. :s

I understand. Thank you for the clarification!
    Options
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Come to think of it, there are other reasons for the limit.

For better or worse, this game has an economy. There's a distinct advantage granted to those who have masimized their character slots to game the system in that particular fashion. I would never do it - treating a video game like a chore just to make lots of virtual in game gold doesn't really sound like fun to me - but it is a good reason why infinite characters couldn't really work in this game (as much as it's what I would prefer).

Other people - the reason why we can't always have nice things. -_-
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other.
    There's two tipping points when it comes to alt slots.
    The first is how many before people give up farming them all daily, such as with Crafting Writs -- which console can't really do at the moment to affect the economy as much because they don't have Addons.

The second is how many before people demand legacy-wide achievements.
    Right now you have to separately level up each alt's CP to 810 because, obviously, what one toon does shouldn't be reflected on another toon that didn't put in any effort.

Oh, wait, YOU DON'T.

Why do we still have toon-specific achievements?
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 27, 2020 9:52PM
    Options
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I may not use them, but others should be able to have them if they want them.
    There's 6 classes.

What do you mean by that? What kind of builds? Tank, Healer, MagDD and StamDD? What about PVP builds?

And I want one of them in each race anyway. :D
    Options
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.
    It should be

But it is not

You know, the crown store.
    What is the point of this thread when they already decided to monetize additional slots
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    Server cant find anything with speed atm add 1/4 or more more chars and it'll just get slower and slower (most likely in a log progression not a linear one too)
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.
    I would love to have 24 per server on my main account. I currently have 18/11. I also have a few accounts that are 8/8. Many characters are low level RP characters that I use for specific purposes but plan to fully flesh out later.

My vote reflects the fact that, although I want more, I can see it being a problem if there are a couple hundred thousand (or more) players like me.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    There's two tipping points when it comes to alt slots.
    The first is how many before people give up farming them all daily, such as with Crafting Writs -- which console can't really do at the moment to affect the economy as much because they don't have Addons.

The second is how many before people demand legacy-wide achievements.
    Right now you have to separately level up each alt's CP to 810 because, obviously, what one toon does shouldn't be reflected on another toon that didn't put in any effort.

Oh, wait, YOU DON'T.

Why do we still have toon-specific achievements?

I don't think how many times people are willing to do dailies each day is a good way of determining how many character slots should be available.

Firstly that's just one possible use for alts, not the only one. The OPs suggestion of 24 slots is based on allowing you to have a tank, healer, magicka DD and stamina DD of each class, so you've got all the options available to play. Other people might want cosmetic options (like having one of each race/gender combination, or just lots of different themed characters), or want alts for roleplaying. Apparently some players made a khajiit for Elseweyr and are now thinking of making a nord for Greymoor, so people like that would probably appreciate being able to have lots of characters too.

Secondly the answer to how many times do you do dailies will be different for everyone. I have 8 characters but I only do the crafting dailies and only on one character. But that doesn't mean I only want or need 1 character because there's far more to this game than dailies and all my others are spread around doing other activities. (Which is part of why I don't do dailies on them all.)

And players have already been asking for account-wide achievements, probably since the game was released, so adding more character slots isn't going to change anything there.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought 18 would be enough, but I keep on thinking of new characters I'd like to try out, and I've grown so attached to all the characters I have now that I don't want to change them.
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes that way i could have a tank, a healer, one mag dps and a stam one
    I curently only have heler and tank for half the class
    Options
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    it will have to do with server and peeps pc for storing info the more info the greater space is need
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other.
    Danikat wrote: »
    I don't think how many times people are willing to do dailies each day is a good way of determining how many character slots should be available.

Of course. I was just throwing out a couple of things for consideration related to toon slots to expand on potential consequences.
    If ZOS isn't careful, toon slots -> alt farming -> people complaining about pay to win because you have to buy toon slots from the Crown Store.

Then there's SWTOR where you can have scores of toons and people are maybe too fatigued to keep up or care.

As the number of toon slots increases, I think ZOS should definitely look at what sorts of unintended consequences showed up in games that did allow more and more.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 27, 2020 10:23PM
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am generally okay with 18, as there are three armor weights, so one can do each class in each armor.

But...
    ...the next expansion will come with another new tutorial I expect, and I really don't feel like deleting one of my old characters just to see it, so...
    ...yeah, some way to have more characters would be appreciated!
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC/NA I have two accounts. First account, I have 18 slots filled. Second account, I have 15 filled (and I'm not sure I want to buy the other three). On PC/EU, on both accounts I have 8 of 9 slots filled, and I think I'll stop with the 9th on each. I still craft several days a week on all of them (though not all of them every day I do craft) but it's not as much fun now that I have (more or less) plenty of gold - not as much on EU, so I might restart crafting on those accounts every day for a while.
    Options
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never seen a point in there being a limit, let people create as many characters as they want to, they can only play one at a time.
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not unlimited in online games because a great deal of the user's game data is stored online.
    That storage requires a financial investment in hardware for the gaming company, physical space, and maintenance.
    The more data you make available to the gamers, the more storage you need on the company side, along with the all the overhead needed for it.
    So they have to draw the line somewhere.
    (That said, I wouldn't mind having more character slots in this game.)

With single-player games, the game data is stored on the user's machine, so it falls to the user to determine how much storage space they can devote to a particular game.
    Options
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve got 13 toons (Stam/mag for each class plus additional petsorc). Most of them only ever get used for writs though... and I find it hard to believe people would actually play more than 18 toons.... so I suspect most of the people looking to roll more than 18 toons are just doing it to have more toons to do writs on... and I suspect ZOS thinks that too and is why they have limited the number of slots.

Doesn’t really effect me though if people wanna craft on 50 toons, some already do this with alt accounts anyways so sure, have as many toons as you want for all I care.
    Options
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.
    already we cant have so many chars at once....and only tryhards with nothing better to do are doing dailys on every of them....idk ow you but for me enough for me will be to get more storage space for gear like more/bigger chests in housing, bigger bank or something to be able to keep more worth sets, gear to use while keepin more character pretty clear with inventory to be with playable state
    Options
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikikatze wrote: »
    There's 6 classes.

What do you mean by that? What kind of builds? Tank, Healer, MagDD and StamDD? What about PVP builds?

And I want one of them in each race anyway. :D

That's true, too. There could be much more than 4 builds for each class. But that's also why I said a "minimum" of 24 character slots.
    Options
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they were available, I'd probably use them.
    Options
  • Gadget4
    Gadget4
    ✭✭✭
    If people want more character slots, & if it’s possible to have those extra slots, then go for it

... Be prepared for a drop in ESO+ subs though ... more slots could mean more mules
    PS5 EU (UK)
    PS5 NA
    Options
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have around 40 characters on SWTOR. I think the limit per server is 100.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This really begs the question. Is OP going to tank, heal, and dps both stam and magicka with each class to the point the need 4 of each class dedicated to such a degree that it needs a perfect build to it's intent.

The likely answer is no. Most content can be healed with a magicka dps merely slotting an rstaff and a couple healing skills and that is when they want to heal most of the time. I have tanked dungeons with both magicka and stamina dps characters merely by swapping out skills and gear and not changing anything else.

Regardless, we know the number of characters tied to a server does effect server load. It is why Zos is mothballing accounts and their characters if they have not logged in during a certain period of time. Point is, doubt Zos will adapt the same philosophy even if they do add a few more character slots.
    TheValkyn wrote: »

SWTOR has weekly lockouts for end game characters not to mention it does not have the server load to begin with. If you tank on one specific class and run that content multiple times a week then multiple of that class is needed.
    Options
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    This really begs the question. Is OP going to tank, heal, and dps both stam and magicka with each class to the point the need 4 of each class dedicated to such a degree that it needs a perfect build to it's intent.

The likely answer is no. Most content can be healed with a magicka dps merely slotting an rstaff and a couple healing skills and that is when they want to heal most of the time. I have tanked dungeons with both magicka and stamina dps characters merely by swapping out skills and gear and not changing anything else.

Regardless, we know the number of characters tied to a server does effect server load. It is why Zos is mothballing accounts and their characters if they have not logged in during a certain period of time. Point is, doubt Zos will adapt the same philosophy even if they do add a few more character slots.
    TheValkyn wrote: »

SWTOR has weekly lockouts for end game characters not to mention it does not have the server load to begin with. If you tank on one specific class and run that content multiple times a week then multiple of that class is needed.

Server load is irrelevant. You can only play one character at a time. ESO also has daily lockouts.
    Options
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

The likely answer is no.

I respectfully disagree.
    It was hard for me to have a limit of 50 characters in WoW. Some of that was due to wanting to play on multiple servers, but still. I enjoy making each character proficient in a particular build. Whether that's simply mag dps, stam dps, healing, tanking, or a mix of any of the above.

I do love to have at least 1 stamina dps build and 1 magicka dps build of each class. That's mandatory for me.

But, this thread isn't about "OP", so I'm not sure why you're singling me out.
    This is about me being curious about how other people feel. If there's a big enough desire to have more character slots for whatever the reason may be.
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other.
    Gadget4 wrote: »
    If people want more character slots, & if it’s possible to have those extra slots, then go for it

... Be prepared for a drop in ESO+ subs though ... more slots could mean more mules

:waits for the p2w objectors to point out buying an inventory pig mule toon slots is p2w:
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 28, 2020 1:30AM
    Options