The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Onslaught Nerf

MartiniDaniels
MartiniDaniels
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I agree that Onslaught now is most popular and effective stam ultimate. But given all the options for burst follow-up protection (S&B block/heal, mist, BRP DW, defensive ultimates etc) taking another 1.5-2k from burst damage will do nothing good.
Maybe instead of nerfing onslaught, we can buff DBoS, Incap, Meteor?
  • Miloscpolski
    Miloscpolski
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Onslaught now is most popular and effective stam ultimate. But given all the options for burst follow-up protection (S&B block/heal, mist, BRP DW, defensive ultimates etc) taking another 1.5-2k from burst damage will do nothing good.

incap is op
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

incap is op

Good joke :)
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Onslaught isn't fun to fight against.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭

incap is op

Why are most stamblade opting for onslaught or even soul harvest right now over it. Funny joke though.
    Edited by JinxxND on January 27, 2020 2:20PM
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Onslaught isn't fun to fight against.

If you can CC or you're nb/sorc... otherwise you are definitely going to die :lol:
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Strongly agree. Even as a light armor sorc, onslaught doesn't feel overtuned at all right now. This is a bad nerf.

Db needs cast time removed. Meteor could use a nerf on the ground dot coupled with an increase in direct damage or aoe size (not both). Incap should stun instead of silence and no cast time
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely agree. Ultimates should feel awesome. They keep moving them to almost feeling like just another burst ability like frag or relentless focus proc, POTL/PL, or DK Whip to begin with, but then have cast times which often cause them to not go off at all let alone go off on time. We are down to only leap and onslaught feeling powerful but getting nerfs in effectiveness or cast time; then crescent sweep still does not have a cast time and I imagine if its not next, the tears will flow until it is. And the necro ult is still good.

Then people wonder why its so hard to kill anyone.
    Edited by technohic on January 27, 2020 3:08PM
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onslaught gives roughly 25k pen for 5s (if we average peoples resist in PvP) and hits super hard, plus has a small AoE attached for added measure. It is beyond broken, for comparison spriggans 5 piece gives 3450 penetration. So using onslaught gives you 25,000/3540 = 7.25 spriggan 5 piece bonus for 5 seconds. Is there any other ultimate in the game that gives you the effectiveness of 7 sets worth of damage? It's no wonder this skill is banned from every major dueling tourney and everyone in Wayrest is crutching on it right now.

It would still be a solid tier ultimate if the 5s of pen was completely removed which needs to be.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onslaught is broken and EASILY adds easy more than 2k to my burst combos. You're nuts if u think anything should be brought to these levels.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Onslaught is broken and EASILY adds easy more than 2k to my burst combos. You're nuts if u think anything should be brought to these levels.

And what's your burst? I played in medium with 25k resistances last 30 hours and died in 1v1 one time to a glass cannon magsorc. All the mighty onslaught swingers usually left you at 30-40% HP which is more then enough to recover back to full HP if you use one of the numerous burst protection tools. Block/heal with S&B allows to survive onslaught follow-up. Mist+pot/rally or cc on mist exit cancels it. BRP DW with solid uptime will leave you at even higher HP after onslaught... Sorcs can spam shield / streak out. Onslaught kills only if target can't break free fast enough. So it should be some lag spike or unbreakable fear. Break free from common stuns is instant when game runs more or less ok.
    I think Onslaught is alright now but many other ultis are weaker. So it looks logical to buff them, instead of reducing damage.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    imagine defending onslaught
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remembre the times when players complained that corosiv amor was to strong ?

Well here we have a hard hiting ult wiht one of the strongest buffs attached to it.

This ult shouldnt be in the game in the first place. If the ppl are to tanky change cps, change healing ( in a smart way)
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't know something. Without irony - can you share stamina kill combo without onslaught with burst high enough to kill typical 30k resistances S&B/2H nord running around Cyrodiil and who can break free fast, keeps heals up, knows how to roll-dodge and when to block?
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They took the best part about corrosive(the pen) and gave it to every stam player using 2H. Then made it cheaper than corrosive. It allows players to build defensively but still be deadly in that burst window. It’s hard to compare other ultimates since 2H does so much and some fights wouldn’t end without it. IMO 2H does to much but the game doesn’t give a reasonable alternative if you’re stam so what are you suppose to do in a meta where players can burst heal themselves to full in 2 or less GCD.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on January 27, 2020 4:20PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They took the best part about corrosive(the pen) and gave it to every stam player using 2H. Then made it cheaper than corrosive. It allows players to build defensively but still be deadly in that burst window. It’s hard to compare other ultimates since 2H does so much and some fights wouldn’t end without it. IMO 2H does to much but the game doesn’t give a reasonable alternative if you’re stam so what are you suppose to do in a meta where players can burst heal themselves to full in 2 or less GCD.

Yes! That's why other ultimates (magicka ones too) should be buffed to onslaught level, instead of nerfing onslaught. This game needs more damage not less damage. Meanwhile, looking at patch notes... with exception of new sets everything else is about decreasing damage. Off-balance nerfed, onslaught nerfed, leap nerfed, meteor nerfed, templar block heal buffed, blade cloak buffed...
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's honestly just to the ridiculous point now. They've just given it a steady stream of nerf after nerf after nerf. I'm of the opinion now that no matter how weak it becomes, until people just stop using it, they'll keep nerfing. They obviously want to make it no longer viable so it can be added to the long list of other abilities that were killed off.
  • NobleX35
    NobleX35
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering we’re probably in one of the worst (if not the worst) tank metas in the history of this game, I completely agree that this is a bad nerf.

Anything that reduces damage output/burst potential is a bad move until the tank meta is properly addressed.

I also agree that a better approach would have been to buff under performing ultimates to better match onslaught.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war."
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what i find truly sad, is that the justification for keeping onslaught the way it is has more to do with how broken CP currently is.

people defending onslaught (which is definitely broken) are defending it because the reality is, without it, you can't kill anything in CP. that's how broken CP is. sit around and stagnate until onslaught ultimate and then prepare well timed 5 sec burst to hopefully score a kill

CP has ruined combat and the only thing viable to score kills...are absolutely busted ultimates like onslaught.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cries wrote: »
    Onslaught gives roughly 25k pen for 5s (if we average peoples resist in PvP) and hits super hard, plus has a small AoE attached for added measure. It is beyond broken, for comparison spriggans 5 piece gives 3450 penetration. So using onslaught gives you 25,000/3540 = 7.25 spriggan 5 piece bonus for 5 seconds. Is there any other ultimate in the game that gives you the effectiveness of 7 sets worth of damage? It's no wonder this skill is banned from every major dueling tourney and everyone in Wayrest is crutching on it right now.

It would still be a solid tier ultimate if the 5s of pen was completely removed which needs to be.

Ever heard of Corrosive?
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artorias24 wrote: »
    Cries wrote: »

Ever heard of Corrosive?

Corrosive doesn't come with massive burst damage to start the fight. And is more expensive. Also limited to one class and spec

Ive seen mag players run onslaught. Which should tell you something
    Edited by iCaliban on January 27, 2020 5:02PM
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reasonable alternatives must exist for players to choose different setups. Look at the DW ultimate when was the last time you saw that on your death recap? Just nerfing the only stam ultimate that can end certain fights in CP doesn’t make the other stam ultimates more appealing ZeniMax. Smh
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on January 27, 2020 5:04PM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

incap is op

*was
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Sneakers
    Sneakers
    ✭✭✭
    Dont you ppl Dodge roll ons? You hear the sound roll 1 time and take 0 dmg.

[Snip]

Maybe the pen from ONS should be tied to A 2H WEP skills..since how many dizzy/wrecking can you really land in 5s vs someone dodge rolling away?

Templars dropping ons and going to town on ppl with pol n jabs on 0% resis with 40% snare i can see that..being frustrating ppl.

Desyncing CC
    OP sub skills from other lines then 2H

But sure nerf ons.
    [Snip]

[Edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 14, 2020 2:18PM
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't know something. Without irony - can you share stamina kill combo without onslaught with burst high enough to kill typical 30k resistances S&B/2H nord running around Cyrodiil and who can break free fast, keeps heals up, knows how to roll-dodge and when to block?

Play stamden/stamplar. Bugs, Dizzy, Off Balance stun, DB, Execute. For plar, PotL, Javelin (maybe), DB, Jabs. Results may vary, but these are incredibly deadly combos when timed right. Sarcasm/irony/whathaveyou aside, Stam has an incredibly strong kit baseline unless you're something like a nightblade in which case gl lmao
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They nerfed the only viable ultimate for stamina in pvp.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    what i find truly sad, is that the justification for keeping onslaught the way it is has more to do with how broken CP currently is.

people defending onslaught (which is definitely broken) are defending it because the reality is, without it, you can't kill anything in CP. that's how broken CP is. sit around and stagnate until onslaught ultimate and then prepare well timed 5 sec burst to hopefully score a kill

CP has ruined combat and the only thing viable to score kills...are absolutely busted ultimates like onslaught.

I understand what you're saying and agree that CP has introduced too much power creep (especially in the most recent patch due to scaled up healing), but this isn't even a CP exclusive problem like you make it out to be. Venture into any BG at high MMR and you encounter the same exact problem: Too much base tankiness, high mitigation, free healing, and ult dumps as the only viable method for kills.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭
    Onslaught is like the Bloodspawn of Ultimates right now, in that so many were nerfed to being near useless that Onslaught shines like an overpowered city on the hill at the moment, to the point where if you're magicka melee let alone just stamina it's hands down the bast ulti in the game because it can actually do damage due to the penetration negating the tank meta.

I have a feeling tha tmost "elite" players who would complain about a high damage ultimate are kids being carried hard by sets like BRP DW and BRP Resto, who only ever receive meaningful damage while in an Onslaught, necro or warden ulti. Nerfing damage as consistently and intensely as ZoS has done over the past two metas (with the exception of DoTs for a minute) does nothing but remove skill from the game and turn it into a carebear hugbox where bad players LARP as skillful while being hard-carried by braindead arena sets.

Onslaught can be toned down a bit, sure, but not much we need damage boosts to offensive ultimates across the board. Not nerfs.

Edited by Nirnroot420 on January 27, 2020 6:26PM
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »

We also have to take into account that most ultimates suck in CP, they continually nerf and make them bad. We had DB while Onslaught was good, DB was used much more. DB got a cast time, DB now misses A LOT in this quick combat based game. Thus, DB was used minimally and only situation based.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Play stamden/stamplar. Bugs, Dizzy, Off Balance stun, DB, Execute. For plar, PotL, Javelin (maybe), DB, Jabs. Results may vary, but these are incredibly deadly combos when timed right. Sarcasm/irony/whathaveyou aside, Stam has an incredibly strong kit baseline unless you're something like a nightblade in which case gl lmao

Stamden problem is that all that powerful combo is easily dodgeable. Yes, when somebody else cc'd you and then shalk train arrive from backside warden doesn't need onslaught. But in 1v1 all those DBoS wardens... I see how those DBoS just hit ground. Or DBoS lands but dizzy miss.. or shalks miss. And to put average modern PVP-er to execute zone you need to land all 3 - shalks, dizzy and DBoS. While in case of onslaught shalks+onslaught might be enough.

Stamplar doesn't have access to major fracture. At all. So onslaught imo is best for stamplar for all cases with exception of killing squishes where cheap instant empowering sweep can be better.

Maybe necro next patch with all his pet dots and major defile will be able to kill without onslaught, we'll see.

Some ballista builds can be deadly... but they are cheezy.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno. They should softcap resists again imo. Something needs to be done with all the passive mitigation (and healing).

PC EU
    PvP only