The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PvP Throwback Thread

• Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its beyond entertaining to me to see so many commenters in here who are die hard proponents of NOT having faction locks and telling us how bad that is reminiscing about days that we had .....*gasp* faction locks and no one ever even thought there might not be locks in place for a three way war. Conveniently left off the list by so many.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Soul_Demon wrote: »
    Its beyond entertaining to me to see so many commenters in here who are die hard proponents of NOT having faction locks and telling us how bad that is reminiscing about days that we had .....*gasp* faction locks and no one ever even thought there might not be locks in place for a three way war. Conveniently left off the list by so many.

There were never hard faction locks in eso. They could always be bypassed via group queue or wayshrine port. But what was good about them was it had a soft locking system so rewards for 1 faction. Just AP on the others .
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember
    When there were deer...
    Ground oils....
    Mounts (don’t even remember what mine looks like anymore)...
    When I used to actually care...
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There weren't faction locks, which is one of many reasons why the game was so much fun back then.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There were never hard faction locks in eso. They could always be bypassed via group queue or wayshrine port. But what was good about them was it had a soft locking system so rewards for 1 faction. Just AP on the others .

There weren't faction locks, which is one of many reasons why the game was so much fun back then.

Yes we had faction locks....you could only home ONE faction on each server and NEVER another faction. The only way to change that was to rehome all chars from one alliance on another server and wait two weeks paying I think 300,000 ap after a mandatory wait period or wait to end of campaign and only then could you play another faction there from your account. Seems both of you may be referring to population locks? Unless you are saying that you could group que back then into a homed server with another alliance when you already had another faction homed there on your account.....if so, please elaborate as I was not aware that was possible back then- But I think you are referring to the ability to use a 'friend' on enemy alliance homed on the server you wanted in on but had 100+ que to group you up outside cyro and get into the enemy que (if it was shorter) to push through the que of your actual alliance there to play.

Edited by Soul_Demon on January 27, 2020 11:02PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synozeer wrote: »
    Mercenary NPCs you could buy and place like siege, and the sorc NPCs becoming unkillable.

I think those are still in the game and bugged btw... all they did was make it so you can't buy them any more.

I still have one mage mercenary contract in an old guild bank :D
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes we had faction locks....you could only home ONE faction on each server and NEVER another faction. The only way to change that was to rehome all chars from one alliance on another server and wait two weeks paying I think 300,000 ap after a mandatory wait period or wait to end of campaign and only then could you play another faction there from your account. Seems both of you may be referring to population locks? Unless you are saying that you could group que back then into a homed server with another alliance when you already had another faction homed there on your account.....if so, please elaborate as I was not aware that was possible back then- But I think you are referring to the ability to use a 'friend' on enemy alliance homed on the server you wanted in on but had 100+ que to group you up outside cyro and get into the enemy que (if it was shorter) to push through the que of your actual alliance there to play.

What you are describing did not lock characters out of a campaign and did not make it such that if I took a break from the game, I didn't have to log onto a dozen of my characters and pay millions of AP to leave campaigns I never participated in just to PvP.

Open up your friends or guild list - travel to player, boom I'm in cyrodiil. I don't even need a group que (which also worked).
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you could reflect Meteors and shields lasted 20s.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The brief period early-on when Bash was horribly overtuned. Pop a shield and just bash everyone to death.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You still have 50/50/50 sieges occasionally, they're usually just at 2 fps. :D
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember fighting DKs with my sorc and getting the majority of my cfrags reflected back into my face.

I remember wiping multiple pugs raids with a small coordinated 12-man group.

I remember stacking shields that lasted 20s and nearly being invincible.

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What you are describing did not lock characters out of a campaign and did not make it such that if I took a break from the game, I didn't have to log onto a dozen of my characters and pay millions of AP to leave campaigns I never participated in just to PvP.

Open up your friends or guild list - travel to player, boom I'm in cyrodiil. I don't even need a group que (which also worked).

What I am describing is a faction lock. Plain and simple. You could only play one ONE faction on a server at a time- the wait period made it so that there were not frivolous swaps for rewards or to troll- along with the AP price since AP back then was MUCH harder to earn in what now seems a low amount, back then was a very large amount. If you picked AD on a server, just one char- you could NOT play anything but AD there until you moved ALL AD chars off the server to another one. Only then could you home it with DC or EP. I don't know what you consider 'faction lock' but that is exactly what I consider a faction lock.

As far as
    "Open up your friends or guild list - travel to player, boom I'm in cyrodiil. I don't even need a group que (which also worked)."
    I consider what was referred to a 'jumping the que' not playing another faction on a server, but using the enemy and its lower que wait times to bypass your actual factions population que to get into cyro.

Edited by Soul_Demon on January 28, 2020 1:13PM
  • OwN_Reflex
    OwN_Reflex
    ✭✭
    “Azura’s Star”
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What I am describing is a faction lock. Plain and simple. You could only play one ONE faction on a server at a time- the wait period made it so that there were not frivolous swaps for rewards or to troll- along with the AP price since AP back then was MUCH harder to earn in what now seems a low amount, back then was a very large amount. If you picked AD on a server, just one char- you could NOT play anything but AD there until you moved ALL AD chars off the server to another one. Only then could you home it with DC or EP. I don't know what you consider 'faction lock' but that is exactly what I consider a faction lock.

As far as
    "Open up your friends or guild list - travel to player, boom I'm in cyrodiil. I don't even need a group que (which also worked)."
    I consider what was referred to a 'jumping the que' not playing another faction on a server, but using the enemy and its lower que wait times to bypass your actual factions population que to get into cyro.

I'll make it as simple as I can (not to be rude just clear)
    2014-2018 If I home a campaign on AD I could play there on EP too
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as

Exactly this. You couldn’t “home” there as an EP or DC if you set your AD there first, but you could queue for it in the other factions as a guest campaign or in a group queue.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first Raidiant Destruction where it got it’s name

Reflecting meteors multiple times
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as

Reverb wrote: »

As far as

Exactly this. You couldn’t “home” there as an EP or DC if you set your AD there first, but you could queue for it in the other factions as a guest campaign or in a group queue.

Ah I see...... I understand what you are saying some must have been doing then- can see why it was not well known then of course now- guest means no board rank and no shot at emp- guess it would have been used by very few who knew it could be done for strickly ap and ap only.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

As far as

As far as

Ah I see...... I understand what you are saying some must have been doing then- can see why it was not well known then of course now- guest means no board rank and no shot at emp- guess it would have been used by very few who knew it could be done for strickly ap and ap only.

Yep that's why I advocate for a "soft" lock like this. I'm completely fine not earning EoC rewards for my non-homed faction I just want the option of fighting where I want.
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EGspecops55

BrandonSouthGA

Dethroning Meth in <5min with four coordinated DC groups (mid 1.6)

Getting steamrolled by "Skelly group" (DiE) as a brand new DC player (1.3 I think)

When impulse was 8m radius and actually looked cool

Dynamic ult gen and a DK class kit that actually made sense

Blinding flashes and Blazing shield on Templar

When there was no distinction between a Magicka or stamina class

The original one shot snipe builds pre 1.5

Standing in the breach of a keep with a pocket healer spamming ultimates and stopping entire zergs

>1000cp Methuselah emp during 1.6 with uncapped CPs (prox/dawnbreaker entire groups)

Endless bridge fights

When WoE could be spammed

The 1.5 to 1.6 transition insanity

Etaniel's Dragonknight video "Genocide", probably the best pvp video ever made in ESO

When multiple campaigns were poplocked at the same time

Buff servers and associated drama
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh wow, this brings me back. So great to watch that old AJSA video. They jumped to the campaign, Chyrsamere, I ran in with an old guild and crowned my buddy... such a fun day. Things I remember:

The Noore
    invis bats
    Panda and his magDK leaping into keeps
    ground oils
    Mercenaries (unbugged ones were awesome even tho killable, defended a few scroll temples with them)
    Caltrops on friendly siege negating damage
    Dragon Leaping off of keep walls onto siege below
    Using Streak as a scroll runner
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

Etaniel's Dragonknight video "Genocide", probably the best pvp video ever made in ESO

Rewatching this reminded me of another thing to add to the list.

Painting the ground black with Ash Cloud spam and pissing off group members with screen shake

Edited by vortexman11 on January 28, 2020 10:28PM
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as

As far as

Yep that's why I advocate for a "soft" lock like this. I'm completely fine not earning EoC rewards for my non-homed faction I just want the option of fighting where I want.

I disagree with the idea- and not just to disagree but because it never made sense in a 3 way war to have anyone change sides at ANY point. What is the point of playing any thing that has a score attached to it, emperor or leader boards ect if some of the population isn't really invested in the win? Sports teams don't do this, why would you do it anywhere there is a group where you want to encourage competitive environment? Populations naturally work themselves out if you allow a mechanic like we had back at the beginning of the game (less of course those who exploited unintended functions to play by a different set of rules) A mandatory play through of at least two weeks of whatever camp you home with ONLY that particular alliance of chars allowed on it with very steep cost in AP to do so. Change allowed but only at end of camps or after doing said minimum timeframe. No other chars from other factions on your account able to play there until previously homed alliance removed from server.

Give the players who want factions to be malleable a server with different rules. No alliance locks at all. No points for keep, outpost or resource takes- disable emperor completely and make all AP only attached to killing blow with max group size frozen at 4, scrolls would not serve any function whatsoever. Half the size of the map. We created battlegrounds long ago to appease the 'smaller groups' and that really isn't what they wanted apparently...... Why consistently use the rule set designed to encourage grouping and competitive play on a large over world map? It only causes problems and giving them their own server with 'modified' rules should allow them to ONLY play with others who are interested in doing what they are doing- everyone wins. Everyone has what they want as players and NO ONE is forced to play in a way they do not wish to play. Each style of play has its consequences and no one is forced to deal with them if that is not what they subscribe to. Clearly they have enough servers to do this. Population is another matter- but as I said, those choices have consequences.

Of course I am aware there are those who don't agree with this as well.....but fail to see any better alternative that would satisfy players in the same way the above would- unless what the players really want is others to be forced to play 'with' them and the 'malleable' way swappers have been imposing on others for a very long time. As you mention, even in the beginning we had players who used unintended functions (though not anywhere in the same numbers as now freely swapping) to achieve a different gaming environment. Give them the place to play- and stop trying to make two very different sets of players play in the same place.....
  • Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    I miss knocking people off of keeps with templar spear. Or better yet making them fall through the grate floor over the doors of keeps
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as

You can scream at me in CAPS until the cows come home, but anyone who had characters on different factions will tell you the same thing I am.

"If you picked AD on a server, just one char- you could NOT play anything but AD there until you moved ALL AD chars off the server to another one. " Wrong. I played all of my characters on all factions in the same campaign. No switching out, no being charged, not locked out. No lowering the q, actually getting in and playing with whoever I wanted to play with. I'm guessing since you are a big advocate of faction locks that you did not have multiple characters on different factions and thus no idea how the system actually worked back then.

Sorry to bust your nostalgic memories of the good old days, but we "filthy faction hoppers" had been doing it since the beginning, which should be a loud and clear message that we are not to blame for all the things you accuse us since it was happening and you didn't even notice it.
    Edited by Joy_Division on January 29, 2020 5:38PM
  • edges_endgame
    edges_endgame
    ✭✭✭✭

As far as

You can scream at me in CAPS until the cows come home, but anyone who had characters on different factions will tell you the same thing I am.

"If you picked AD on a server, just one char- you could NOT play anything but AD there until you moved ALL AD chars off the server to another one. " Wrong. I played all of my characters on the same faction in the same campaign. No switching out, no being charged, not locked out. No lowering the q, actually getting in and playing with whoever I wanted to play with. I'm guessing since you are a big advocate of faction locks that you did not have multiple characters on different factions and thus no idea how the system actually worked back then.

Sorry to bust your nostalgic memories of the good old days, but we "filthy faction hoppers" had been doing it since the beginning, which should be a loud and clear message that we are not to blame for all the things you accuse us since it was happening and you didn't even notice it.

Amen
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as

"If you picked AD on a server, just one char- you could NOT play anything but AD there until you moved ALL AD chars off the server to another one. " Wrong. I played all of my characters on all factions in the same campaign. No switching out, no being charged, not locked out. No lowering the q, actually getting in and playing with whoever I wanted to play with. I'm guessing since you are a big advocate of faction locks that you did not have multiple characters on different factions and thus no idea how the system actually worked back then.

If you think using caps for 'one and much' is "screaming at you" ......maybe you read something in that wasn't there- those were for emphasis, not screaming. And as far as I have now been told there were ways to use the grouping tool to gain unintended functions (another way to say exploiting) and using 'guest' to play on the same server I was unaware of anyone doing- especially in the beginning of the game when leveling was so much longer and tougher to do the idea players had enough chars to do this never occurred to me- you know, when leveling up took more than a few hours and the ceiling was higher and floor was lower for gameplay.

Not quite what I would say meant the game was not faction locked, but I do concede if there were players doing this it would have been in low enough numbers didn't really hear about it. Combined with the alliance lock functions we DID have then- not so much as a ripple. As far as inserting your own insult directed apparently at ....you- go ahead...not what I said but if you feel that way about faction swappers and I don't do that ....who am I to argue with you about the proper terms to refer to them with.

As far as "Sorry to bust your nostalgic memories of the good old days, but we "filthy faction hoppers" had been doing it since the beginning, which should be a loud and clear message that we are not to blame for all the things you accuse us since it was happening and you didn't even notice it." I read that a lot different than you do...I actually get a different message with what you say and its "since there were people exploiting things early on in game we are still looking for ways now to exploit with complaining in forums to get no faction locks for some of our newest ideas".....not what you said, just the message I get from anyone who talks about using unintended functions to bypass a faction locked server- of course could not care less about the 'guesting' function as that was so few and made no impact I don't remember anyone even bringing it up before it was mentioned here- certainly not as a problem.

Edited by Soul_Demon on January 29, 2020 6:26PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaving an enemy controlled resource at your gate keeps at all times for bloodporting to any Forward Camp on the map
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melee magblade with purge cloak and single target prox det.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bugged blazing shield popping for 5k damage to everyone in its radius (today's 50k) Was fun trolling peeps at breaches, though it didnt lasted too long :D
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • XxMissAlycexX
    XxMissAlycexX
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh the memories.

<3
    XxMissAlycexX - Xbox One - NA