The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How about a native vulkan ESO?

• EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I read it as Vulcan first

life-imitates-art-astronomers-find-star-trek-planet-vulcan.jpg

was like damnn thats pushing it abit, if you wanted the npcs to start talking in Vulcan :smiley:

lol!! that's exactly what I thought from the title! guess were the only two non tech people here :D

I was actually thinking that I could probably play it in Klingon.

Qapla'
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyvos wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, Hero Engine (which is what Elder Scrolls Online utilizes) does not support Vulkan, it strictly supports DirectX and requires the DirectX SDK as part of its development toolchain. It's not just as easy as having a "native vulkan eso".

Your best bet for running it under Linux is using the standalone w/ DXVK version via Lutris, which will convert DirectX calls to Vulkan and enable you to play it as natively as is actually feasible. I've tested it in the past and get fairly similar performance to running it natively, bare in mind this was last April and performance is always subject to change on a patch-by-patch basis, not to mention depending on the DXVK version utilized.
    ESO does not use the Hero engine.
    And this is no excuse, since many games like No Man's Sky's engine also didn't support Vulkan, but still they added support to it. Also note that the game i mentioned was made by a very small team.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, Hero Engine (which is what Elder Scrolls Online utilizes) does not support Vulkan, it strictly supports DirectX and requires the DirectX SDK as part of its development toolchain. It's not just as easy as having a "native vulkan eso".

Your best bet for running it under Linux is using the standalone w/ DXVK version via Lutris, which will convert DirectX calls to Vulkan and enable you to play it as natively as is actually feasible. I've tested it in the past and get fairly similar performance to running it natively, bare in mind this was last April and performance is always subject to change on a patch-by-patch basis, not to mention depending on the DXVK version utilized.
    And this is no excuse, since many games like No Man's Sky's engine also didn't support Vulkan, but still they added support to it. Also note that the game i mentioned was made by a very small team.

ESO uses a modified Hero Engine. That's why after a fresh install, you get a Hero splash screen.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lady_Linux wrote: »
    please please oh please and please some more @ZOS_GinaBruno may we please have a native vulkan eso please please and please some more?

....Stadia is Vulkan, ESO is on Stadia soon.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't compare an indie title like NMS against a major release like ESO.
    NMS's engine is actually far smaller than you'd think it would be as well since most of it is actually just for procedural generation.

It's easier to add something like Vulkan when your total number of linkages are so few. I highly doubt ESO is so simple under the hood. Team size compared to game complexity is a very important factor. 30 people with a simple title? Lots of flexibility and agility... 150+ people with a complex huge codebase? Yeah... not in the same league.

Also, ESO is pretty much hero 2.0. Yes, at this point none of the original code remains because that's just how things work but it sure as heck started out very Hero like and has all the lovely little hallmarks to highlight that.

• tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO uses a modified Hero Engine. That's why after a fresh install, you get a Hero splash screen.
    There's a splash screen because they used the engine to prototype the game, but the engine the game runs on isn't even based on the hero engine, let alone a modified version of it.
    "We started ZeniMax Online from scratch, with no employees and no technology. We had to build everything ourselves. It takes a long time to write game engines, especially MMO engines, which are inherently more complicated than typical single-player ones. So, we decided to license the HeroEngine to give us a headstart. It was a useful tool for us to use to prototype areas and game design concepts, and it provided us the ability to get art into the game that was visible, so we could work on the game’s art style. Our plan is for ESO to be a world class MMO, with the most advanced social features found in any MMO to date – so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. "
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NMS's engine is actually far smaller than you'd think it would be as well since most of it is actually just for procedural generation.

It's easier to add something like Vulkan when your total number of linkages are so few. I highly doubt ESO is so simple under the hood. Team size compared to game complexity is a very important factor. 30 people with a simple title? Lots of flexibility and agility... 150+ people with a complex huge codebase? Yeah... not in the same league.

Also, ESO is pretty much hero 2.0. Yes, at this point none of the original code remains because that's just how things work but it sure as heck started out very Hero like and has all the lovely little hallmarks to highlight that.
    The game is smaller, but so is the team behind it.
    Hello games only has 25 employees, how many does Zenimax Online have?
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game is smaller, but so is the team behind it.
    Hello games only has 25 employees, how many does Zenimax Online have?

Yeah, that's not remotely a good way to look at things.
    Program complexity is often related to linkages. The more connections the code has the more touching it causes problems.
    No man Sky isn't a game that really has all that much interconnectivity since it simply spawns what it does and stores it. ESO is a spiderweb of links. Like I said earlier a 30 man team with a program with few linkages can rip out whole chunks of code over a month's time and completely redo them. As you grow the program and it becomes more complex adding people doesn't do anything because half your time is checking to make sure you didn't break or bottleneck a link somewhere.

In short... They are completely incomparable as far as agility in refactors is concerned. It's like racing dogs and automatically assuming you can race horses.

Also much like the way the creation engine looks and feels like gamebryo ESOs engine looks a heck of a lot like Hero.
    Just because you "made it from the ground up" doesn't mean you didn't code around the tools(which take a fkton of time to develop in house) and simple things like say... physics. "Ground up" can be half copied especially since they own a hero license for ESO.