The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

New Block

Madhatten512
Madhatten512
✭✭✭✭
There is so problems with the changes to block. Number one blockable ccs are now going through block like the off balance stun for example is going directly through block. Another Issue after a duel or two I become incapable of blocking, and must reset the game to get the ability to block back. There are a bunch of funky things going on right now on the pts, but those two stick out the most right now....
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new block mechanics have completely changed the way block works in PTS compared to Live. It is both slower and some skills cannot be block cancelled at all. What is now on PTS is not what Brian Wheeler implied in his Update 25 Combat Adjustments. Quoted from Brian Wheeler:
    Block is an ability that everyone can use at any time, which means it can create a lot of traffic for the server to handle. In our continued efforts to improve performance, we are adjusting how the ability works under the hood. You will still be able to do everything you used to with Block. What you’ll notice is animations will blend a bit differently out of a “block cancel”, but the effectiveness of an ability will remain and function the same; the ability will still fire when “block cancelled” but you won’t have any “dead time” before the global combat cooldown ends.

What is implied in the aforementioned quote from Brian Wheeler, is not what is seen in PTS. There is no "blending" of skills into block. Some skills just don't block cancel and as @Madhatten512 has mentioned, block gets bugged out to the point where you can't block anymore and you have to relog in order to block at all or even show the animation of blocking. I play this game because of combat fluidity and quickness. Changing the inherit trait of ESO to make combat slower, i.e. through changes like cast times to ults, inability to block cancel, etc. ultimately changes what ESO combat is, whether that's in PVE or PVP. I don't see how anyone could support slower combat, not including all the bugs that come with it.

P.S. Leap is much slower. Please fix.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler
  • MaskedHuman
    MaskedHuman
    ✭✭✭
    the game become super slow and clunky now.
    EP MagDK - Former emperor, Magplar - The Flawless Conqueror, StamDK - The merciless, Stamden - The merciless, MagNB, The merciless.
    DC MagDK (Main) The Flawless Conquerer, StamDK - The Flawless Conqueror, Stamden - Former emperor, Stamsorc - The merciless, Stamblade - The merciless, StamDK - The merciless, Stamplar - The merciless, Stamnecro, The merciless.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos really need to take a look at the new block animation. Even with lag taken into consideration (since I'm accessing the PTS from EU) it feels insanely clunky and non responsive to block cast. Trying to move away from animation cancelling/ block cancelling 5-6 years into the game when it's one of the core mechanics of this game is nothing but a bad move. I pray to the aedra that zos will fix this clunkyness so that it feels responsive, so that reactive gameplay remains as it is right now.
  • MotokoHutt
    MotokoHutt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Myself and several other player's have also noticed a 1.5 second delay before you can block again after swapping bar's compared to the 0.5 second delay on live. This might seem like a very small change to people that don't play Tank's often, butthis is an absolute killer in both PvP and PvE. In dungeon's you could easily get hit my a boss or mobls heavy hitting attack just for swapping to you back bar to cast and skill and then back again as that gives you an unblocked window of 3 seconds. In PvP it gets even worse with the fact swapping bar is simply just too risky as each time you do your oponent is able to do massive damage to you and even line up a burst on you for when you bar swap knowing there is that 1.5 second down time.
    PC EU
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system needs to be reverted until they have a fully functional replacement. They're going to destroy PvP combat if they let this go live.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are adding cast times for block? Hopefully it's just an implementation issue and not another pseudo nerf.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I saw the Brian Wheeler comments on Block, I grimaced. No way this does not get totally messed up, and no telling how many unintended glitches are going to pop up all over the game mechanics when they start tampering the with block code.

• amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another issue is, that S&B front bar gameplay is now confirmed as dead.
    Correct me if im wrong, the new changes will set your stam regen to 0 more often no if bash canceling right?
    Edited by amir412 on January 22, 2020 5:37PM
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be nice to get feedback on what is intended vs. issues with block as implemented in PTS.

The 1.5 second gap on bar swap could be deadly in a lot of trials, and "not barswapping" isn't an option because one hand and shield enchants are half, so we have to bar swap to a 2 handed weapon to apply crusher.

Playing since beta...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kronuxx wrote: »
    The new block mechanics have completely changed the way block works in PTS compared to Live. It is both slower and some skills cannot be block cancelled at all. What is now on PTS is not what Brian Wheeler implied in his Update 25 Combat Adjustments. Quoted from Brian Wheeler:
    Block is an ability that everyone can use at any time, which means it can create a lot of traffic for the server to handle. In our continued efforts to improve performance, we are adjusting how the ability works under the hood. You will still be able to do everything you used to with Block. What you’ll notice is animations will blend a bit differently out of a “block cancel”, but the effectiveness of an ability will remain and function the same; the ability will still fire when “block cancelled” but you won’t have any “dead time” before the global combat cooldown ends.

What is implied in the aforementioned quote from Brian Wheeler, is not what is seen in PTS. There is no "blending" of skills into block. Some skills just don't block cancel and as @Madhatten512 has mentioned, block gets bugged out to the point where you can't block anymore and you have to relog in order to block at all or even show the animation of blocking. I play this game because of combat fluidity and quickness. Changing the inherit trait of ESO to make combat slower, i.e. through changes like cast times to ults, inability to block cancel, etc. ultimately changes what ESO combat is, whether that's in PVE or PVP. I don't see how anyone could support slower combat, not including all the bugs that come with it.

P.S. Leap is much slower. Please fix.

The issue is that no one at Zos plays to the highest levels of this game. There are some that do dungeons with top players and occasional trials but not HM trials. I do not know any that PvE tank vet trials at all and I doubt any are heavy into PvP using a shield.

So it really depends on us to give them proper feedback from actual PTS testing like this and hope they listen to actual information as they have from time to time.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well it needed to be changed because it wasn't broken.

Now it is.
    PC EU
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Zos really need to take a look at the new block animation. Even with lag taken into consideration (since I'm accessing the PTS from EU) it feels insanely clunky and non responsive to block cast. Trying to move away from animation cancelling/ block cancelling 5-6 years into the game when it's one of the core mechanics of this game is nothing but a bad move. I pray to the aedra that zos will fix this clunkyness so that it feels responsive, so that reactive gameplay remains as it is right now.

The changes being made have nothing to do with a desire to move away from block / animation canceling. Its entirely an attempt at solving a server side issue.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    The system needs to be reverted until they have a fully functional replacement. They're going to destroy PvP combat if they let this go live.

It's going to be like the queue finder, they refused to revert it and dragged us through the *** for months while they tried to fix it.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested the new Block on a DK while testing the change to the Stone Giant.. new block is slow and clunky, same was for the modified spammable, felt really bad to play SnB DK honestly.

PVE tanking felt REALLY bad, seriously. :(

Almost like playing different game, and not in a good way. I hope this does not go Live like this.
  • NaomiHutt
    NaomiHutt
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP perma block builds, if you are hoping to perma block in a dungeon or PvP.

My partner tested this the other night on both and in both she died without failure.

Soon as you swap bar, you take a beep load of damage and it's game over.

We have both tested this same build on live and it can tank any boss or player with ease.
    Edited by NaomiHutt on January 22, 2020 10:57PM
  • ElvenVeil
    ElvenVeil
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest though, if this block bug and the other issues associated with it goes live, then another big chunk of the already dwindled population will leave. Break free not working properly at all and now block being a total mess makes the game unplayable.

eso just seems to be returning to it's roots, and I dont mean that in a positive way. It is rapidly becoming something akin a poorly developed beta stage of a game
  • Madhatten512
    Madhatten512
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are we going to get an answer to any of these questions about the change to block Zenimax?
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    same thread subject as the other ones
    = same responses as the other ones
    the block change is perfect.
    one of the main things i love about this block change,

is that we are now able to see the other actions taking place that were previously hidden by the block canceling.
    all of the canceled animations now are showing and allow us a fair chance to react to all the animations and damage skills coming at us instead of just a FLASH and glitched actions appearance.
    i love this and hope we see more of it.
    Edited by Gilvoth on January 27, 2020 1:03AM
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭
    I get that people are annoyed by the current state of block. However, what I dont understand is why 99% of the forum community is apparently unable to give constructive feedback instead of only whining "its not working, revert it" or "this is so bad, obviously ZOS screwed it up again".

Why would any developer listen to these comments? I certainly wouldn´t.

The block changes were made in an effort to improve performance. It is one of the greatest issues of ESO at the moment, and people suddenly seem to forget that because they are too preoccupied with trashtalking block on PTS.

Give the developers constructive feedback on what isn´t working for you, what should be different and why you don´t like the current state of block. And give them time to try and fix this. I certainly would like the new system to be implemented if it improves performance along the way.
    PC EU - @RealPhoenix | Cyrodiil´s FIST | 1500 CP | Dedicated PvP Player | 36k Achievement Points
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get that people are annoyed by the current state of block. However, what I dont understand is why 99% of the forum community is apparently unable to give constructive feedback instead of only whining "its not working, revert it" or "this is so bad, obviously ZOS screwed it up again".

The block changes were made in an effort to improve performance. It is one of the greatest issues of ESO at the moment, and people suddenly seem to forget that because they are too preoccupied with trashtalking block on PTS.

Give the developers constructive feedback on what isn´t working for you, what should be different and why you don´t like the current state of block. And give them time to try and fix this. I certainly would like the new system to be implemented if it improves performance along the way.

Really? ZOS gets plenty of feedback. They mostly do not address issues and are very poor at active communication.
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭

Really? ZOS gets plenty of feedback. They mostly do not address issues and are very poor at active communication.

I did not make any assumption about that. I simply stated that in my opinion, there should be less whining and throwing words at each other. These posts dont help anyone and only make it more difficult to single out the proper feedback.
    Additionally, I also wouldnt want to communicate with my playerbase if 90% of what they wrote was insults.
    PC EU - @RealPhoenix | Cyrodiil´s FIST | 1500 CP | Dedicated PvP Player | 36k Achievement Points
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »

is that we are now able to see the other actions taking place that were previously hidden by the block canceling.
    all of the canceled animations now are showing and allow us a fair chance to react to all the animations and damage skills coming at us instead of just a FLASH and glitched actions appearance.

Are you ignoring the meat of these posts completely? The stated intention of the change was to help performance on the back end, not remove block cancelling. The changes have broken more than they've fixed.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElvenVeil wrote: »

eso just seems to be returning to it's roots, and I dont mean that in a positive way. It is rapidly becoming something akin a poorly developed beta stage of a game

It's rotting because of its roots, I think. The game is in this state because these issues where never fixed.

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you ignoring the meat of these posts completely? The stated intention of the change was to help performance on the back end, not remove block cancelling. The changes have broken more than they've fixed.

this is the public test server forum.
    i am only here to give my feedback, nothing more.
    i love the new block changes, and i stated why.
    that should trouble, nor bother no one.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not make any assumption about that. I simply stated that in my opinion, there should be less whining and throwing words at each other. These posts dont help anyone and only make it more difficult to single out the proper feedback.
    Additionally, I also wouldnt want to communicate with my playerbase if 90% of what they wrote was insults.

and you still can see mroe good feedback than only whining (unless giving "negative" feedback about something because it look and is very bad for us is also considered as whining only because we are not happy with it)

just at #1, #2, #4, #5, #10 comments, shorter or longer but especially in these threads you have clear very good feedback about block problem on this PTS...unleas as I have stated above as this feedback is not positive for these changes then it is considered as whining...then there is no option ever players could give any constructive feedback as in this game....many changes are mostly not welcomed by players and so feedback is barely positive with many bad changes...cuz as they are bad and yet as it was also stated many times ZOS after all rarely listen to any more significant feedback if even
  • Madhatten512
    Madhatten512
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only people that could possible like this change are the same people that cheered for ult cast times, and the d swing change, and animation canceling removal... Always blaming something for why they die.. They get there way playstyles are ruined, and guess what they still die.. No matter what they do to slow the combat a bad player is still going to die to a better player.. There is no need to ruin combat which is all this game has that's keeping it on life support from all the other awful changes that have ran off the player base. Don't ruin it to please some mindless zerglings that are going to die no matter how much you try to cater to them
    Edited by Madhatten512 on January 27, 2020 9:48PM
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭
    the game become super slow and clunky now.

The game was already clunky and has been for some time. Slow is the new thing here.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think this is a wrongheaded change and I fully support A/C as it is on live. It's the most skillful part of combat.
    Edited by Siohwenoeht on January 28, 2020 12:00AM
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Madhatten512
    Madhatten512
    ✭✭✭✭

Well then you are obviously Zenimaxs target audience.. Here soon it'll be turn based on all you people with the reaction time of snails will all be so happy.

@Madhatten512
    I think you were meaning to reply to gilvoth. I think this is a wrongheaded change and I fully support A/C as it is on live. It's the most skillful part of combat.

im so sorry man my mistake.
  • JSTCH
    JSTCH
    ✭✭
    Whatever you’ve done zenimax, the combat is now rubbish. I think you should focus on changing this back to how it used to be instead of taking our money and constantly breaking everything. Hey snipe is desyncing everyone but we should change how block works??? I sometimes wonder what type of person is in charge of these changes?