The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Drain Essence change

Defilted
Defilted
✭✭✭✭✭
Why is this being changed??

Vampire
Drain Essence:
The stun from this ability and its morphs now occurs when the cast completes, rather than when it begins.

Is this a buff or a nerf? I guess you cast this at the end of you combo to stun when the player is trying to recover?

I always cast this at the end now to finish off slivers of health if players are that low.

Playing a class with a stun this is a non issue but when I play my Magden i have Essence or reach.

This change is odd and cant understand why it is being made.
XBOX NA
XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    This is a buff to everyone that always gets bursted because of this.

Can't this be said of any hard stun?

I am just trying to understand how this makes the ability better or fixes whatever problem ZOS is trying to fix.

Is the front end stun causing a health desync?

Currently yes it does stun but you are locked into a 3 second channel. The caster cannot take immediate action after casting. This ability can only be used in groups to stun so your group mates can take advantage or you can use it when the player is at their last 5% or less and even then it will not always kill the player.

Streak can be used the same way. To stun a player so your group mates can attack but streak is instant and the casting player can take immediate action.

Why is it being changed?
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Kuraiij
    Kuraiij
    Soul Shriven
    *laughs in block cancel*
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kuraiij wrote: »
    *laughs in block cancel*

I imagine we could switch bars to get out of the animations, but it would cancel the effect.
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    just use fire staff, pretty easy right
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya but I really prefer the lighting staff but I am open to change.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be fine with this change if they only made it apply the stun on a block-cancel - i.e. any time he effect ends. The way it's implemented in PTS today, you have to get to the last tick before the stun takes effect.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a strange change IMO.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Defilted wrote: »
    It is a strange change IMO.

And by that you mean another ability rendered useless and going to the ever growing crap pile of useless abilities along with sets.

I can't to see someone channeling drain they are going to get interrupted almost immediately.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Realistically for this ability to function with the stun at the end of the cast time, it needs to have a ramping slow effect as the cast time nears it's end. Eg. Slow your target by 10% and an additional 10% every 0.5s until the cast time completes.

This way, the cast time still provides you with competitive damage over time so the time isn't 100 % wasted. The slow helps you protect yourself from players looking to bash you, giving you enough time to pull off the stun.

Either way, it's just a crappy skill now, but it seems like they did this to settle the game for 3months before the new vampire rework.

Mist form will probably change in to the bat animation we saw, etc.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well from the perspective that all these skills will be completely redone in June I guess I will just need to change to a fire staff and use reach on my magden after the patch if it goes live with these changes.

The other thing that I find odd is why make this change at all if the vamp rewrite is coming in June.

I still do not understand why the change is needed. I play on xbox and I do not see a ton of players spamming this skill. Maybe on PC it is a big problem?
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it either. Presumably, the whole line is changing in the Skyrim expansion, so why screw with it before then?
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    I don't get it either. Presumably, the whole line is changing in the Skyrim expansion, so why screw with it before then?

Same reason they screwed with DoTs, Defiles, Bleeds, instant cast melee ultis, NB damage buffs, Dizzying Swing... potatoes die to things they don't understand, potatoes complain, ZOS swings the nerf bat, the stacks of tanky healbots grow.
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • Sneakers
    Sneakers
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting the DKs dont get their leap nerfed which is equally bugged i cryo and impossible to break out of, you slide around on the ground for 3s while they exec spam u for free.

Magnum shot and lethal aim same thing, de syncs and and causes sliding unbreakable CC and massive damage (pre nerf dizzy damage)

Fozzilise, same thing de syncs have to break it 3 sometimes 4 times costing half ur stamina from full bar, ~16k.

Guess vamp drain is the only problem after that is gutted into uselessness game is peachy right ;)
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they change it so that if the caster intentionally ends the cast (via block), the stun kicks in, I will be happy.
  • Sneakers
    Sneakers
    ✭✭✭
    If they change it so that if the caster intentionally ends the cast (via block), the stun kicks in, I will be happy.

Highly doubt that its the classic KILL THE ABILITY nerf to still the forum cry babies.

Next week people will have gravitated from warden 2her to warden bow and spam magnum + lethal aim. Meanwhile classes like Mag necro that has no stun thats useful with their kit is left out in the cold :)
    Edited by Sneakers on January 23, 2020 7:27PM
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drain seemed too strong given its damage when canceled briefly after casting. But as a stun it didnt seem so bad. I wish that ZOS would modify abilities to fit the overall usage of players... leave damage on one morph but no stun (maybe give it a slight damage boost even), give the other morph a stun but much less damage.

This change renders the skill garbage.

But it is clear ZOS wants their game played without animation cancelling and is slowing moving us towards that.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, tell the other player you are fighting not to hit you for 3 full second or bash you or stun you so you can complete the stun...I love it. What ZOS would come up with next? I wonder...
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »
    Drain seemed too strong given its damage when canceled briefly after casting. But as a stun it didnt seem so bad. I wish that ZOS would modify abilities to fit the overall usage of players... leave damage on one morph but no stun (maybe give it a slight damage boost even), give the other morph a stun but much less damage.

I can live with that...
  • megasurge93
    megasurge93
    ✭✭✭
    This makes me sad. I have largely been no longer playing because the game is just becoming a constant grind of doing the same things over and over and over again (i.e. boring). I've been coming back to enjoy the content but when that's mostly done the rest just goes back to being a repetitive grind. Here, I got all excited because I saw the Vampire part of the new chapter and I thought, they've finally re-vamped the vamp!!! I went to go look at what might be some new skills or whatnot, but I come only to find this sad nerf on one of the two skills the vampire has. Lame! Well, I guess I won't be buying the next chapter afterall. Oh well.
    "Illusion is the first of all pleasures." ~Oscar Wilde
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change to Drain is on the next DLC coming in March. The Vamp rewrite is on the chapter release coming in June.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Alexium
    Alexium
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they will not change Drain Essence to stun at the end effect. I often use its stun ability in my PvE adventures. I will very unhappy with that new changes.

P.S. I know this game going to eliminate control abilities in the gameplay. It is sad.
  • schorse
    schorse
    ✭✭
    Did someone test if the new drain stuns immediately when you blockcancel? Or do you have to wait the whole cast?
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since removal of Shock Clench stun and now this is final nail in coffin of magnecro, how else lineup your burst if it brainless skeleton who just stay and stare to death my enemy? Make at least my coffin comfortable to live.
    tumblr_oya6dcgR1W1wzvt9qo1_500.gifv
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Since removal of Shock Clench stun and now this is final nail in coffin of magnecro, how else lineup your burst if it brainless skeleton who just stay and stare to death my enemy? Make at least my coffin comfortable to live.

Didn't the skeleton get a buff?
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel alot of people in here have not experienced being drained yet. Currently how the stun works on live:

ability is cast>immediate stun> ........animation fires> enemy can break free

essentially it is bugged, but zos wasnt bothering to fix it before(most likely didnt even know it was not working correctly). On live the stun not being synced with the animation means that people get stunned, but are not allowed to break free until the animation hits them. Which in higher mmr combat scenerios if you get stunned and react within 0.1 sec, but the animation doesnt hit you until 0.25 secs well now you already reacted with the proper counterplay, but nothing is happening for some reason. There is a similar issue with fears in the game, the animation they chose to be the new fear has a 0.1-0.2 sec timeframe where your character stands still before doing any noticeable animation.

Q: Why are they fixing it now before the vamp changes?
    A: Well due to the dot nerfs, alot of meta abusers that relied on dots to play the game for them saw that drain essence was one of the few untouched abilities damage wise. On top of that it had a stun, which hit before the animation fired.

Q: Why does the stun need to go off so late?
    A: Well does it make sense that you get stunned before the ability hits you, would you want crystal frags to do damage instantly instead of when the animation hits you?
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vamp drain is a channel not a dot. Cast and forget dots were nerfed.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get vamp drain cast on me in Cyro. I don't find issue breaking free. The only time you get messed up while getting drained is when you are below 5% health. Any other time unless you are 1vX it is normally not a big deal. Since it is a channel you cant use it to set up burst or at least I can't.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    xylena wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »

Same reason they screwed with DoTs, Defiles, Bleeds, instant cast melee ultis, NB damage buffs, Dizzying Swing... potatoes die to things they don't understand, potatoes complain, ZOS swings the nerf bat, the stacks of tanky healbots grow.

potatoes cant kill a player, potatoes complain, zos swings the nerf bat, the stacks of high dps chars grow.

potatoes die, potatoes complain, zos swings the nerf bat, the stacks of tanky healbots grow.

At this point it somehow became a never ending circle

Tbh i think the stun isnt the problem... The problem was the dmg output while it stuned you, i would be fine if they just reduced the dmg instead geting rid of another cc in this game

Edited by StShoot on January 26, 2020 10:13PM
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't the skeleton get a buff?
    You mean fix, what fix is that in row? I remember that's clunky skeleton targeting was issue on Elsweyr PTS, how long it was ago?
    Again that's not justified last available stun removal, at least return our Shock Clench.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This skill is now waste of slot.