The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Password fails logging into game client, but works on website.

Ravynmagi
Ravynmagi
Soul Shriven
I'm trying to rejoin the game after years. I used password recovery to reset my password. And that worked successfully to login to the website, download and install the game client. But now that the game is installed, I can't login to the game client with that password. I reset my password again from the website and tried the client again, and it still fails saying I'm using the wrong username or password. It also says if I bought the game from Steam to run it from Steam, but I didn't buy from Steam, so that isn't the issue.

Weirdly, when I tried to post on the forum, I had to sign in again to the forum and was told I needed to reset my password again from password recovery. Weird, because I've already reset my password twice in the past few hours. But was able to get to the forum after the 3rd password reset.

I see a message on the forum about NA and EU maintenance that is happening right now. Could this be causing the password errors with the game client?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All passwords were forced to be changed a while back for the game, so that could be the issue. Assuming the servers are up.

Use the Forgot Password link in the Launcher to change your password.

Do have access to the email account you used to set up the game. If not, open a ticket with support to sort that.
    Edited by Nestor on January 20, 2020 7:19PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t tried to log in this morning, and can’t say for certain that it’s the cause of your errors, but it is common to get an “Invalid user name or password” error when the login server is undergoing maintenance. The banner on top says that the maintenance is still ongoing, so I’d wait for official word that the servers are back up before worrying.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ravynmagi
    Ravynmagi
    Soul Shriven
    I already used the Forgot Password link twice now to reset my password. I have access to my original email, so am not having any issue resetting my password.

I just noticed those banner messages about maintenance say it was completed by 2pm EST, this was done before I even started trying to login. And I see on the general forums that people are able to login to the game now and for some time. So don't think that's related to my issue anymore.

Very puzzling I can login to the website but the same username and password don't work for the client.

I looked at the error message more carefully...

Login Error
    Login failed. Your usename or password may be incorrect or inactive at this time.

On my account page it says my account status says "Active - Trial" So I should be able to login right?
    I haven't purchased a client since 2013, the account page shows "THE ELDER SCROLLS® ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED™ PC/MAC DIGITAL EDITION". I assume I should be able to login with this client too?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravynmagi wrote: »
    I already used the Forgot Password link twice now to reset my password. I have access to my original email, so am not having any issue resetting my password.

I just noticed those banner messages about maintenance say it was completed by 2pm EST, this was done before I even started trying to login. And I see on the general forums that people are able to login to the game now and for some time. So don't think that's related to my issue anymore.

Very puzzling I can login to the website but the same username and password don't work for the client.

I looked at the error message more carefully...

Login Error
    Login failed. Your usename or password may be incorrect or inactive at this time.

On my account page it says my account status says "Active - Trial" So I should be able to login right?
    I haven't purchased a client since 2013, the account page shows "THE ELDER SCROLLS® ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED™ PC/MAC DIGITAL EDITION". I assume I should be able to login with this client too?

Hmm. In 2013 the game was still in free beta. If you bought it in 2014 then your game login should work. But the fact that the listed status is “trial” makes me think you don’t have an active license. That means you would only be able to play during Free Trial periods.

From your account page on the website go to “Billing History” and confirm that you bought the game on that account. If so you’ll need to open a Support ticket to sort this out. If not...you’ll need to buy the game or enter a license code.
    Edited by Reverb on January 21, 2020 1:03AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Ravynmagi

As mentioned by the other players in this thread, you'll need to open a support ticket so your account can be looked into. When you have a ticket open you can post it here so we can make sure it is being handled correctly.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post