The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

the sad state of jewelry making

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FWIW, I am not opposed to the grind. I play for 5-8 hours per day in ESO because I’m at a point in my life where I can. I don’t use gold or even purple jewelry on my characters right now, my main is using blue jewelry I crafted. My first alt doesn’t even have two full sets yet.

If I have to have 18 toons just cranking out daily crafting writs to be able to gold out my own jewelry (not stuff to sell), that’s utterly ridiculous.

You want to grind to that level go ahead, just don’t expect the rest of us too. You just raise the bar higher for ZOS and screw us.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I am not opposed to the grind. I play for 5-8 hours per day in ESO because I’m at a point in my life where I can. I don’t use gold or even purple jewelry on my characters right now, my main is using blue jewelry I crafted. My first alt doesn’t even have two full sets yet.

If I have to have 18 toons just cranking out daily crafting writs to be able to gold out my own jewelry (not stuff to sell), that’s utterly ridiculous.

You want to grind to that level go ahead, just don’t expect the rest of us too. You just raise the bar higher for ZOS and screw us.

1. I never said you "have to have 18 toons" to be able to gold out jewelry, just that it makes it faster.
    2. Writs are relaxing for me. Put on some music, do my writs, read the news, etc. It's calming after a busy day at work.
    3. Anything else you wanna blame me (and the dozens of people I personally know that do writs on 18 a day) for? Because I've apparently "screwed you" by doing something I enjoy, might as well go all in.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purple and Gold does make a difference on what we can accomplish just as it does for high level players doing hard mode.

Sure it makes a difference but that’s not my point.

Purple and gold is not required to complete casual content.

You can still complete that content with blue jewelry.

Purple and gold is pretty much required for high level hard mode.

The hardest levels in the game are not a fixed point. The hardest levels in the game are those that are at the limit of a player's ability. While you and others might be able to compete lets say VFG1 with blue there are players where they need the extra stats of purple or gold to complete them. This is why I say there is no difference between the needs of lowest and highest level players as instanced content difficulty is relative to the player's ability not the modes established by ZOS. One might even argue high level players need the boost less than lower level players. After all if you can complete the content to get the higher reward then you don't need it to begin with.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

1. I never said you "have to have 18 toons" to be able to gold out jewelry, just that it makes it faster.
    2. Writs are relaxing for me. Put on some music, do my writs, read the news, etc. It's calming after a busy day at work.
    3. Anything else you wanna blame me (and the dozens of people I personally know that do writs on 18 a day) for? Because I've apparently "screwed you" by doing something I enjoy, might as well go all in.

I’m just concerned that you present that as the solution to all jewelry problems. It sort of dismisses the concerns mentioned by players like me who haven’t been playing the game since launch or have a number of toons that is closer to what the average player has, which I am sure is much less than 18.

If you like doing writs to that level, then that’s great. I appreciate all the work you’ve done with the statistical analysis for refining and stuff like that, and as far as that and crafting goes, you’re in the top 1% of players. When you say you’re doing fine with jewelry and crafting, that is not necessarily representative of the majority of crafters. I’m trying to give voice to those of us who aren’t that far along and want to have time to do other things in the game, which I think is quite reasonable and probably what most other crafters do (at least the ones in my guilds).

If ZOS only hears what you say, then they will base the average player/Crafter expectations to you and everyone else will struggle even harder to keep up.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vyvrhel wrote: »
    Everybody knows that making jewelry, while possible, is extremely expensive. Well to be exact the improving to higher quality is.
    Truth to say I do not understand why. Can you please change it so improving jewelry costs about the same as improving other equipment? Just remove that dust and replace it with plating. ZOS. Thanks in advance.

The answer is simple. Zos specifically stated the answer when they introduced jewelry crafting. They wanted it to be less common than armor and weapon crafting by design so they made upgrade materials rare.

As others have said, historically in this game gold jewelry has been rare and required clearing the most challenging content to obtain (or spend tons of gold to those who could back when some gear from trials was BoE).

In reality, Zos still has the best jewelry locked behind the hardest content since we can decon gold jewelry for upgrade matts. So anyone who wants more access to such goods should work on clearing HM trials.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I’m just concerned that you present that as the solution to all jewelry problems. It sort of dismisses the concerns mentioned by players like me who haven’t been playing the game since launch or have a number of toons that is closer to what the average player has, which I am sure is much less than 18.

If you like doing writs to that level, then that’s great. I appreciate all the work you’ve done with the statistical analysis for refining and stuff like that, and as far as that and crafting goes, you’re in the top 1% of players. When you say you’re doing fine with jewelry and crafting, that is not necessarily representative of the majority of crafters. I’m trying to give voice to those of us who aren’t that far along and want to have time to do other things in the game, which I think is quite reasonable and probably what most other crafters do (at least the ones in my guilds).

If ZOS only hears what you say, then they will base the average player/Crafter expectations to you and everyone else will struggle even harder to keep up.

I guess my point is that I feel they've already done that.

They've reduced the platings needed from 2-3-4-8 to 1-2-3-4 for upgrade
    They've introduced guaranteed drops from max level daily writs (with them weighted towards Iridium/Zircon/Chromium)
    They reworked jewelry master writs so they are at least plausible to do now (they are better than many other master writs, gold clothing, hakeijo enchanting, and perfect roe provisioning)

So, I ask, where does the slope end?
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purple and Gold does make a difference on what we can accomplish just as it does for high level players doing hard mode.

Sure it makes a difference but that’s not my point.

Purple and gold is not required to complete casual content.

You can still complete that content with blue jewelry.

Purple and gold is pretty much required for high level hard mode.

The hardest levels in the game are not a fixed point. The hardest levels in the game are those that are at the limit of a player's ability. While you and others might be able to compete lets say VFG1 with blue there are players where they need the extra stats of purple or gold to complete them. This is why I say there is no difference between the needs of lowest and highest level players as instanced content difficulty is relative to the player's ability not the modes established by ZOS. One might even argue high level players need the boost less than lower level players. After all if you can complete the content to get the higher reward then you don't need it to begin with.

Stat difference between purple and blue jewelry will not prevent you from completing content. It is essentially negligible for the vast majority intents and purposes. Gold jewelry might make a difference between a 15:21 and 14:59 run for a score group. But a situation where double digits difference in some stats makes or breaks someone's ability to complete vFG1 is so exceedingly rare that it's not even worth arguing about.

For the longest time gold jewery was not even a thing for the majority of sets. And all levels of content were completed by players of all levels of skill. What you are bringing up is a non-issue.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, they have made jewelry better, I only started doing daily writs when they added grains to the rewards.

There is another problem though, the increasing number of housing plans - sketches - that require platings.

First it was a few Alinor scrimshaw and goblets. I’ll never have a whole table full of those, lol!

Now, every Elsweyr Lantern, Twist I craft takes 2 blue platings, and every teapot a gold plating. Those really add up. I have to have a teapot in every house.

There are quite a number of Elsweyr plans that are sketches, I think much more than Alinor. I hope this does not continue.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    I love my "This can't be deconstructed" messages on my jewelry, since the jewelry have been with me for many years, still going strong.

At this point 2/3 jewlery pieces have been upgraded to Legendary, and I'm gradually closing in on the mats for the last pieces. Yeah, it's expensive, but I kinda think upgrading gold jewelry should be so. Upgrading other gear to Legendary is rather a bit too cheep nowadays :/
    Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
    Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
    Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
    Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
    Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
    Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
    Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
    Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
    Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to have a teapot in every house.
    No, you don't [need to have an intentionally expensive mastercraft furnishing item in every single house you own]. Do you listen to yourself talk? :D
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tatanko wrote: »
    I have to have a teapot in every house.
    No, you don't [need to have an intentionally expensive mastercraft furnishing item in every single house you own]. Do you listen to yourself talk? :D

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

Really, I’m a tea drinker myself and I like to set up an area in my houses with an Elsweyr chaise, a table, teapot, tea cup, and a moon-sugar bowl that I have obtained through my Khajiit’s thieving abilities.

My main would want to partake of that ritual in whichever house she was currently in.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA