Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Character Appearance - Costume/Outfit or Actual Gear?

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I prefer costumes/outfits
    I'm a goof-ball. I use the outfit system to make it look like I'm wearing my normal actual gear.

The problem is that I use overland sets which have different styles from what I wanted and originally had, so I had to go back and hide the actual style with the outfit system.

If that makes sense.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything to hide the monster head and shoulder gear.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the to look like my actual gear
    TempPlayer wrote: »
    Anything to hide the monster head and shoulder gear.

I use hats for the helmets which are the worst offenders, but I do have to live with an ugly shoulder from time to time.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Typically I have an idea in my head about what a character should look like.

However, I do not have the Welkynar Motif so any of my characters that are using Cloudrest gear (3/6) I keep because it looks awesome.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was only one occasion that i ran with the actual gear appearance and it was because i crafted it in Akaviri style, but i usually just craft i whatever first style material i have available and then go straight to the outfit station to mix and match styles and colors until i get what i have in mind. Costumes i wear them depending if there is an event going on or if my friends and i decided to do a certain theme.
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low level before I collected a zilion motifs, costumes but after that, outfits.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure wish it didn’t charge for dyeing outfits. Yeah it’s not that much, but adds up with all the adjustments I end up making after seeing my character walk around a bit. Sometimes you can’t tell how shiny a dye really is until you’re walking around with a glowing butt in your face and man do I hate most shiny dyes.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love putting together outfits and have worked hard to get pretty much every motif except for 4, so mixing them up to make outfits is awesome.

I do use costumes sometimes, especially during seasonal events or RP events etc.

I have soooo many daedra hearts that my base motif for pretty much everything is Daedric, which fortunately looks good, so even if I get caught out of outfit or costume I look stylish in black and gold daedric.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • aaisoaho
    aaisoaho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outfits, most definetly. I was so over the moon when I was finally able to get rid of the look of Velidreth + celestial medium via outfitting. The monster sets made every setups look like a hideous monsters.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm into rp so I prefer to have control over my characters looks. I create toons having backstory and rp in mind, I care less about mechanics and chasing meta. I use more plain outfits and clothing since this flashy stuff doesn't really suit the TES game atmosphere. Before outfit system I used costumes since the disjointed armor pieces looked horrible. Not to mention that vanilla styles are kinda ugly and they aged horribly when compared to some newer motifs. I'd say the motif quality went significantly up around Morrowind Chapter.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I figured I I'd be in the minority, I wasn't expecting to be alone.

Considering outfits are the same look as actual gear, not sure why you dislike them.
    True, now if you use crafted armor and weapon its not an real difference.
    The problem is if you dislike the look on some dropped gear you want to wear, with outfits you can change that.
    Costumes is an like it or not deal, they are nice to change your look for reasons.

Only downside of costumes and full outfits is that you can not see that gear you are wearing.
    However you see your bar so you should know if you are DD / healer, full healer or overland mode.

However once leveling up two alts who shared gear and wore an costume I once managed to queue for an random normal as healer without any gear as it was on the other alt. Had an low level staff that was all got an dlc dungeon I think, got some lols then I told them why they needed another healer :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a goof-ball. I use the outfit system to make it look like I'm wearing my normal actual gear.

The problem is that I use overland sets which have different styles from what I wanted and originally had, so I had to go back and hide the actual style with the outfit system.

If that makes sense.

I have a character that is using their current gear as the outfit they wear. I can change sets without changing appearance, if I want. It fools you, though.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like my gear to look good on my character. Sure there's outfit but I still know its there.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Costume
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both.

I use crafted gear, so (once the character gets to level 50) I make sure it looks good so I can display it, but I also use an outfit (singlar) and costumes for variety.

For example my breton warden's backstory is that she's from a minor noble family in Daggerfall but spent some time with the Wyresses and even some Reach clans learning magic before setting off on her own. So she has her actual armour which is more 'civilised' (mainly a mix of breton and nord) and predominantly light armour and then a more 'rustic' Wyrd/Reach themed set as an outfit and switches between the two depending on what she's doing and how I feel like dressing her.

I also use costumes, mainly ones which look like clothing rather than armour for 'down time' when it would look out of place for my characters to wear armour. I have a mix of formal and informal and again change between them depending on what the character is doing.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious where others stand on this. I'm fairly certain I know what the results will be, but perhaps I'll be surprised.

[Edit - I'm asking which you overall prefer to actually use on your characters; a customized outfit/preset costume OR you let your gear determine your look by not alerting it(aside from dyes and hats)]

Note - Option 2 includes dyed gear and collectable hats

For me its not a question of either or, its simply what looks good. I regularly leave parts of my character in their actual gear, if that gear looks good and fits with an aesthetic theme I like.

Note that when crafting gear, we can choose exactly what it looks like, so in this respect I do have some characters who are in their actual gear, but look awesome, because I have planned it that way :)
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Outfits, mainly.
    You can collect and learn the various motifs from which gear is created, without using up [sometimes very rare, and/or expensive] crafting material.
    Perhaps that isn't such a big deal if you only have a couple of characters, but it drains your resources fast if you have a large clan of characters.

I have a few costumes that I like, but I have come to much prefer outfits once I learned how to use the Outfit station.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Got to be outfits or costumes. Anything that allows me to get rid of the awful floating hip flaps that ZO$ love so much. Even that new necro costume is ruined by floating bits of metal on the hips FFS. They must know by now that most of us hate the things, yet they insist on keeping them.

Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If we could hid shoulders then it would be gear but since we can't costume all the way.
  • Forgaldir
    Forgaldir
    ✭✭
    Costumes / Disguises
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Your spin on it looks waaay better than the costume, good job m8

On topic: Everyone know that fashion is the real end game, doesn't matter how good you are if you don't look awesome :wink:
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't polls ever have ALL the options?

I use Both. My concept for the character gives me the basis for the 'Look ' I want.

:#
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    Why don't polls ever have ALL the options?

I use Both. My concept for the character gives me the basis for the 'Look ' I want.

:#

"Both" would have created a large gray area that could have made choosing more difficult, and I was really just hoping to capture info regarding folks who have a discernable preference, one way or the other.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • 5cript
    5cript
    ✭✭✭✭
    More interesting would be outfit vs costume
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the good sets that stand up to “balance” changes are extremely ugly.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom