Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Character Appearance - Costume/Outfit or Actual Gear?

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm curious where others stand on this. I'm fairly certain I know what the results will be, but perhaps I'll be surprised.

[Edit - I'm asking which you overall prefer to actually use on your characters; a customized outfit/preset costume OR you let your gear determine your look by not alerting it(aside from dyes and hats)]

Note - Option 2 includes dyed gear and collectable hats
Edited by MurderMostFoul on January 8, 2020 11:27PM
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Character Appearance - Costume/Outfit or Actual Gear? 188 votes

I prefer costumes/outfits
89%
NestordriosketchBlueRavenKikazaruhuntgod_ESOOakmontowls_ESOGreevirxaraanIruil_ESOaubrey.baconb16_ESOfreespiritAlienSlofKhenarthikenneth.friisb16_ESOMuizerzariaSavinaLoves_guarsSFxxKANExxElsonso 168 votes
I prefer the to look like my actual gear
10%
MurderMostFoulwenchmore420b14_ESODanikatNeillMcAttackJKorrShannoriafakingfocusedRunefangSivhanaTommy_The_Gunvestahls6lackzeu5Seminolegirl1992krachallInval1dAngelaWaspmacsmoothtomofhyrulethadjarvisnoblecron 20 votes
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My god, outfits all the way.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I figured I I'd be in the minority, I wasn't expecting to be alone.

Edit:
    Woohoo! No longer alone.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on January 8, 2020 8:56PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Considering outfits are the same look as actual gear, not sure why you dislike them.
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gone are the days of deciding if I want to go for looks or mismatching BIS gear!

Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends, actually, but costumes give you more options, especially while levelling.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering outfits are the same look as actual gear, not sure why you dislike them.

I'm not referencing their overall aesthetics, I'm asking which you actually prefer to use on your character. A costume/outfit or do you stay with appearance of the gear you want to equip (save for dyes and hats).
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the Outfit station can make Outfits from any gear motif, without having to worry about Style Mats, that is the way i go. I also don't have to use up a 1000 mats to change a Motif.

Now, as for gear look vs costume look, I lean towards Costumes.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tycleton
    Tycleton
    ✭✭✭
    I want the answer to be "my actual gear", but my how they can be hideous. Especially when mixing combos. And dyes don't help!

How many times have I changed out gear while wearing an 'outfit' to then remove it and grimace at the sight?!!

But I do give high cred to those who do succeed at finding a gear combo with dye that turns out awesome.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify my vote: outfits and costumes do look better, but I wish there was a way the "baser" game gear looked that good too. Most dropped sets don't.

Because otherwise, you have all the base motifs in the outfit system anyway, aside from the other ones, so clearly the outfit system is better.

Edit: as for which I use, it depends on the character and their advancement. I (ab)use the outfit system on my main, but like to keep lower leveled characters in newbie gear because they're newbies and they should look it.
    Edited by vestahls on January 8, 2020 10:01PM
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost all my characters use a costume
    Beta tester November 2013
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outfits and/or costumes all the way.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fashion Wars is endgame™

I'll do whatever, in order to make my characters look 'good' (for whatever definition of 'good' is applicable at the time).

I've got characters in Outfits; I've got characters in Costumes; I've got a character in their actual gear (even though it's less than ideal stat-wise, because the torso armor I want to use for their look isn't in the Outfit system & isn't a set piece)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think OP is asking the question they think they are.

Player choose how their characters will look. Some put more work into it than others of course. So if their armor is not their preference then they will likely choose a costume or design an outfit.

In either case what the player chooses how that character will look and in the end both answer for the poll say the very same thing.

Now, if the question was do you prefer costumes of armor appearances (which obviously includes outfit design) then that could be an interesting question.
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non racial style materials are too hard to get. It’s not worth the grind and buy
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Used to be outfits. But last year we had a few days where my dream costume was available... Haven't quested in anything else since.

ycY7IbO.png

BASK IN THE GLORY OF MY BACKPACK.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about "Other"? I use both, depending on character, and have no preference for one over the other.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what I'm trying to do at the time - I like to RP, so I'll wear something appropriate, but if possible I want it to be my normal gear. It's too easy to forget what parts I'm missing if I have a costume or something on, but it does make it easier to look good then.

I just went and crafted a full set so I could get my character in a certain look... but we'll see what I'll decide later.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear the default gear on my characters, and spend a lot of time trying dyes and hats to get an overall look I like. I know this doesn't provide the best possible looks, but for me, I like rolling with the default gear models.

Why? It makes it feel like the gear "matters" more. It's more than just stats and set bonuses, it has an actual presence in the game to some extent. I'm no RPer, but it does increase the fun factor for me to have the gear I work for seem like it is "on" my character, modifying more than just numbers.

Now, I'll use hats to cover up monster helms all day. They can be truly atrocious.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't like costumes much but I use outfit of course.

Can't craft everytime I want to change look plus some sets are not craftable and only in one style
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use outfits for the gear styles, I never use the costumes, I find they are always pretty dresses or robes or open toe sandals or top heavy icky armour
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be more interested to know if it's costumes or outfits
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Outfits all the way

Then the actual look of the gear itself.

Costumes are uniformly rubbish, look poor and very low res in comparison to outfitted gear and frequently either don’t dye at all or look bloody ghastly. A total waste of time and money. I love the fact that all ZOS’s marketing uses paintings of the gear rather than screenshots of it, shows how much faith they have in the products.
  • Sylianwe
    Sylianwe
    ✭✭✭
    Voted for option 1 eventhough I'd also like to vote for option 2.

I prefer outfits and costumes, however, I also wear my amor as it is. I craft it myself so it's already in a style of my preference.

I also like to adjust my look to the task at hand. In dungeons and trials I wear my armor, whilst questing I'm usually wearing a costume or outfit and if I go to a zone where it is significantly hotter or colder, I adjust my look aswell. Usually by wearing different hats.

That being said, if I'm meeting up with Rigurt or Darien, I sure am wearing my prettiest robe.
    Edited by Sylianwe on May 17, 2021 10:57AM
    The mind is a walled garden, even death can not touch the flowers blooming there 🌹
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dyed gear is my preferred.

Some gear looks pretty odd though so I've been forced to replace it:

FG pant on a female warrior mage, nah
    Mother Sorrow: looks like vultures have been chewing on you and now plants are growing out of the results

Lokk is great undyed as is particularly with HoF skin
    Claw looks really good with some dye combos, though Ebon can look crazy weird with the same dye
    Cloudrest sets: keep them to not force other things to be replaced but those wings can be tacky
    Healing sets: most are all pretty solid, and supports are always coordinating sets. Would be easier if we could tell by looking
    Dragon Defile: selfdomly use; half the time used just bc it looks awesome with any dye setup
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spend waaaaay to much time and gold buying motifs and dialing in my outfits and dyeing the results. I have some great costumes, disquises and pick pocketed clothes too. But they have all generally fallen into disuse.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Costume, mostly because it'll hide my tabard.. I'd love to show off my armors, but darnit to a warm place, kinda meh with the guildtabard on, but I... I adjusted, never out of costume and all my work on my crafting/motifs has gone to waste. :'(
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to stay away from costumes as I like characters to feel unique. That being said I usually have a lot of outfits on my characters as I like switching them up depending on the dungeon or trial.

For example;

"Frost"
    49353289753_94f0eab165_o.png

"Minotaur"
    49353740581_04bd9988f6_o.png

"Gladiator"
    49353289253_d9a55e8b25_o.png

"Nord"
    49353289523_1f5b1e9534_o.png

"Bezerker Nord"
    49353289678_4bc40a8903_o.png

And here is my "outfit" spin on the Breton Hero costume. (Note: I do own the costume, I just don't like it.)
    49353805631_b5791ec623_o.png
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Although, Stonekeeper looks sexy af on my Tank.
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before outfit system I was a bum in crafted pretty gear in terms of efficiency. But being an altmer in Argonian BDSM belts of Necropotence and weird taxidermist stuff in my head was waaay worse.