Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vampire Or Werewolf?

SocialAssassin
SocialAssassin
✭✭✭
I know this has been asked before? But I am new to this. So which is better Vampire or Werewolf?
Edited by SocialAssassin on January 1, 2020 5:48AM
“I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett

Vampire Or Werewolf? 63 votes

Werewolf
25%
JdrayDean340chrisub17_ESO60Shagrethperditionerwolf486Mason_KingKyleTheYoungerArgonianwerecroc212YsbrielAlladdinSanesnoozyHailSanta28ESTyll13AldokanWindDroid 16 votes
Vampire
74%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOAlienSlofola.wilhelmssonb16_ESOKayrneInaMoonlightGarethjolnirxxthir13enxxVevvevStrider__RoshinAliyavanaSnowZeniaFreakin_HytteSpiderKnightsusmitdsQbikenblkjagDar'NorokDrathlyccfeelingArtim_X 47 votes
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I know about vampirism. So feel free to correct me. 1. I can either get bitten by blood fiends 2. Have a friend bit me and turn me into one. 3. Buy a bit from the crown store.
    I know after I am bitten I have to go to a Wayshrine? I am 100 % sure what that is? Relatively still new to the game.
    I know it's a level 38 quest called Scion of the Blood Matron and I have 7 days to complete it.

Are blood fiends easy to find or are people still camping and killing them? And where do I find them? I would imagine I find them after midnight? But how can you tell the what time it is in-game? Thanks :)
    P.S So what are the benefits for both?
    Edited by SocialAssassin on January 1, 2020 5:44AM
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The poll does not seem to offer anything to explain the benefits of either.

Werewolf scales of stamina and weapon damage so it works better for a stamina/WD build. However, it is a stand along build since when in WW form the character has access only to WW sklils. The benefits of being a WW are only received when in form but same with the higher poison damage.

The vampire line scales off magicka and spell damage. However, it's passives benefit both magicka and stamina builds as they provide an increase in regen of both stats, sneak speed bonus and reduced damage at lower heal. Of course that is at a cost of higher fire damage at all health levels full time. People use this line for the added regen and some players skillfully use what is available in the line for survival and to gain an advantage when in combat.

Vampire skill line is not for someone who is challenged avoiding damage as the fire damage is noticeable. I have known a mid level raider who was challenged avoiding damage that was told by their raid leader to cure their vampirism.

Edit: WW can be fun, it is just different combat.

You are correct about how to become a vampire. It is the same for WW. DO NOT WASTE CROWNS ON A BITE. Ask in
    guild.

Also, one must do the quest at the shrine within a week of being bit by a player. When bit by an NPC you can wait as long as you want. I do not know how long crown store bite lasts as I do not know anyone who admits to wasting crowns on it.

Edit: Corrected a typo
    Edited by idk on January 1, 2020 7:27AM
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Werewolf scales of stamina and weapon damage so it works better for a stamina/WD build. However, it is a stand along build since when in WW form the character has access only to WW sklils. The benefits of being a WW are only received when in form but same with the higher poison damage.

The vampire line scales off magicka and spell damage. However, it's passives benefit both magicka and stamina builds as they provide an increase in regen of both stats, sneak speed bonus and reduced damage at lower heal. Of course that is at a cost of higher fire damage at all health levels full time. People use this line for the added regen and some players skillfully use what is available in the line for survival and to gain an advantage when in combat.

Vampire skill line is not for someone who is challenged avoiding damage as the fire damage is noticeable. I have known a mid level raider who was challenged avoiding damage that was told by their raid leader to cure their vampirism.

You are correct about how to become a vampire. It is the same for WW. DO NOT WASTE CROWNS ON A BITE. Ask in build.

Also, one must do the quest at the shrine within a week of being bit by a player. When bit by an NPC you can wait as long as you want. I do not know how long crown store bite lasts as I do not know anyone who admits to wasting crowns on it.

Fine! I changed the poll. Happy? Good! I am correct about becoming a Vampire. So don't waste the crowns Ask in build?
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vampire
    Vampires have excellent passives, including a significant stam and magicka regen, with almost no downside (you look ugly, but the game has many, many hats). I imagine that 99% of vampires are vampires for the passives

The vamp skill line itself is messed up. You don’t need to feed to maintain the best passive stats and feeding actually diminishes the passives, so being a vampire is essentially a ‘get bitten and leave alone’ sort of thing. Your vampire level also increases passively, so you don’t actually have to do any vampiring to advance. The skills themselves are a very niche thing, I don’t know many people who use them ever, let alone seriously.

Werewolves are better thought out in that the skill line makes sense, but brings far less (ie no) benefit in terms of passives. The real upside is that you will actually play as a werewolf and there is some point in progressing in the skilline. But even so, it’s not much more than fun role play stuff.

While both can be fun if you enjoy the RP side of things (and there are guilds that are just about that), neither is very well thought out and both seem to have been abandoned by ZOS.

Finally, never pay for bites, there will always be other players willing to infect you.

• RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire

Fine! I changed the poll. Happy? Good! I am correct about becoming a Vampire. So don't waste the crowns Ask in build?

He meant guild, not build, it was a typo.
    You are not correct about ether of them, you must be in shrine area when bitten for the spell to work.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »

You are not correct about ether of them, you must be in shrine area when bitten for the spell to work.

Good to know thanks. Is that the same thing for Werewolves?
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭

And Shrine area? For the record, I am trying to Google this stuff before asking the question?

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither. Curse free 4 lyfe.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same for werewolves, get bitten by NPCs spawning at special times in spoecial places, do initiation quest, go furry. Or get bitten by player wolfy. Or buy from crown store.

You can find both of the biters in the last mainstory alliance region - Rift, Bangkorai, Reapers March, during special nights... (look at the moons in the sky!) - there are maps showing reported locations all over the internet.

And sometimes people still camp them, but for the most part, that has gone out of style... I had no issues finding my bite when I wanted to make my nord warden a part time furry, so...

Also, if you are in a decent guild, a lot of people will share bites but for the asking. Heck, even asking in zone chat can often get you someone who'd offer to share their "curse" for free... a great many people remember the times of people camping the NPCs to sell bites, and they just don't approve of that sort of thing!

As for the benefits...

...Werewolf is better for stamina characters, it has only a little stam boost when not transformed, but a powerful melee option when going wolfy, with the drawback that you can only use WW skills while furry. And while the transformation is time-limited, that can be extended by nomming on "fresh meat" - but generally its an "ace in the hole" move that you want to keep for difficult fights (unless you are training up your WW level of course)

...Vampire is better for magica characters, and adds a good deal of stealth support while still leaving you all the normal skill options in combination with your new bloodsucky powers, and is -great- for magica nightblades to make for a wonderfull "blood mage" build... balanced by a weakness to fire and some issues with health regen... and a feeding system... and a ugly "eeek, undead!" face. Vampy advances slower, but more continually then WW.

In the end, a great many people pick those for the benefits... personally I prefer to go with lore instead, but hey, that's me.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's no better or worse, it depends on your preference and your character. Idk explained it pretty well. Werewolf is a more fundamental choice for your character (you'll use a WW build with gear that works for a WW), while Vampire is a less dramatic choice, just a bit of extra stuff you get in addition to your regular builds.

Vampire also has some Active Skills that you can slot on your bar alongside your normal abilities, but these vampire skills are generally not worth using so most people pick Vampire just for its Passive bonuses. Vampirism will provide useful bonuses in exchange for taking more damage from fire and changing the appearance of your character drastically (though this may be a benefit if you like that look, and it can also be avoided with skins to an extent). The short quest to become a Vampire is not level 38, it scales, so you can do it on any level character.
    sctwrBv.jpg
    Werewolf is a specific playstyle, since it replaces your action bar completely. While you're not transformed, Werewolf gives you no benefits, its Passives only apply in your Werewolf form so normally you'll just be your regular self with no benefit. But when you transform, you get access to 5 specific Active Skills that you'll use in your Werewolf form - you can't use any usual class/weapon/guild ability while transformed
    l2GWx8t.png
    This means you have control of when you want to play as a werewolf (by activating the Ultimate) or just keep playing your character normally; vampires can't really opt in and opt out of their bonuses and drawbacks since it's a permanent state rather than a transformation on demand (although vamps can decrease/increase their bonuses and drawbacks by managing their hunger to an extent - Stage 1 vampirism is less impactful than Stage 4).

Werewolf bites also function the same way as Vampire - you can get bitten by certain werewolf NPCs, you can ask a Werewolf player to bite you, and you can buy it from the Crown Store (it is easiest and smartest to just ask a player for a bite - Idk also meant 'ask in guild' probably, not 'ask in build'). So it's up to you to choose if you want your characters to become a Vampire of a Werewolf. (Also bear in mind the ability tooltip in the image is no longer correct for Werewolves, I just included it to show you that WW is a distinct build with dedicated skills, while Vampire isn't.)
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire

And Shrine area? For the record, I am trying to Google this stuff before asking the question?

A player who is already a Vampire can bite other players once a week, assuming they have a skill point into Blood Ritual, a passive skill in the Vampire skill line. For the bite to work both you and the vampire player must be located at a specific ritual altar

Why at specific place, cos people will troll others everywhere.

Maps with Shrines are here:

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Vampirism

Same for WW
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/506680/vampire-or-werewolf#latest

Edited by RefLiberty on January 1, 2020 6:36AM
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vampire is a significant passive buff bundled with a skin condition. If you want that buff you take it and either hide the ugly or embrace it.

Werewolf is a stamina ultimate. If you have bunch of WW players it's quite fun experience to run around as pack eating every killable mob/NPC and trying and failing to eat occasional guard. I'm not sure if it is worth it from solo or PvP perspective at this time.

Both are optional.

And yes, many players will give WW/vampire bites free.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct about how to become a vampire. It is the same for WW. DO NOT WASTE CROWNS ON A BITE. Ask in build.

Ask in guild That was a typo as I was in between raids. But yes, do not waste the crowns.

Was not being critical, just that the answers to the poll do not take into account anything about your character. That is why I explained some aspects of both skill lines.

And yes, it applies to WW as well. Always best to ask in guild or get your bite in the wild from an NPC. Free is best and with all the players with both lines it should be easy to get one free.
    Edited by idk on January 1, 2020 7:29AM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your magicka Vamp
    Stamina Either. But you normally have to build for the werewolf to make it any good.

But you'll be ugly. Unless an argonian or khajitt then it doesnt matter.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't choose an option. I have multiple characters of both vampires and werewolves, though my werewolf characters greatly outnumber my vamp characters.
    And I'm mainly PvE, so vamp/ww performance in PvP doesn't factor into the choice for me.
    It's a matter of personal choice, I think, which one you go with.

Regarding the seven day thing after you're bitten by a player... I don't know if that is [still?] the case for vampires because I've never waited that long to run that quest after a player-bite (and I have yet to encounter a NPC biter in the wild, but I've also never really sought one out. I've found people to be very generous about granting bites [of both varieties] at the shrines if you ask, and not charging for them. Some still attempt to extort something from you, but I just ignore those people, and I've always received a bite if I ask in Zone chat. Guild mates should be happy to bite you as well, no charge).

The seven day thing for werewolf player bites is not true. There is no time limit that I have hit yet. I have a handful of characters that were bitten several months ago, and I haven't run the werewolf quest with them yet. I just checked, and the green quest arrow still shows up at all three werewolf shrines, and there is a female Nord NPC character named Thoreki, who hangs out in the capital cities of the three zones where the shrines are located. She will urge you to seek out the Packmaster if you've been bitten by a player or scratched by a werewolf in the wild but haven't started the quest yet.
    In the Rift, she's in Riften, standing on the porch of Captain Viveka's house near the north gate.
    In Reaper's March, she's in Rawl'kha, standing right next to the wayshrine.
    In Bangkorai, she's in Evermore, in the courtyard just south of the Mage's Guild, standing next to a big statue (near the east gate, just west of the Eastern Evermore wayshrine).

I don't know if Thoreki has a counterpart on the vampire side (a NPC who urges you to start the quest), but now I'm kind of tempted to create a character and find out.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire
    Vampy! Regen is nice, and sneakspeed super-nifty for logistics and uhm, getting away from fighst you don't wanna! :D
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire
    And Lamae's war is just <3
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire
    If you're on NA I'll get you a "nibble" same game-ID as forum :)
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vampire

Edit: Corrected a typo

If you get the bite via the crown store you miss out on the quest, you go straight to being able to level the skill line, no lore no explanations just your a vampire or werewolf ready to start leveling the skill line.

And if you do decide to get cured don't use the crown store option its a waste of 800 crowns:

To cure your vampirism/werewolf, seek out Prelate Sabinus in the Mages Guild hall in Riften (Ebonheart Pact), Evermore (Daggerfall Covenant), or Rawl'kha (Aldmeri Dominion). You will be requested to donate a small amount of gold before being
    instantly cured.

(just make sure to get your skill points back at a respec shrine before getting cured or you will have to get bitten again to be able to get access to the skill line to then remove the skill points)
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vampire
    Considering that werewolf has literally 0 function in the game as of two patches ago due to the plain butchering tier nerfs it as received, I'd say go vamp or stay mortal
  • Isskander
    Isskander
    ✭✭
    Vampire
    Tho if can use passives effects when making normal char will in long term be always better than trashing all normal class skills to use additional effects. So simply Vampire+ however in some period of patches was better to be none of them ...
  • Golden_Cat
    Golden_Cat
    ✭✭✭
    ¿Why be Hircine's dog or Molag Bald's b¡tch when you can be your own master?
    btw if you want to sneak around at full speed while not having to waste a set for Night Silent vampire is the way to go.
    Edited by Golden_Cat on January 1, 2020 3:00PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire
    If you had asked the same question in Elsweyr patch I would´ve said werewolf, but since then werewolf has been nerfed to the ground. You´re basically putting yourself at a disadvantage by going werewolf (Both for PvE and PvP). Unless you´re in it for roleplay purpose, don´t use werewolf.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Werewolf
    If you have friends that also are wolves it’s fun times. The real drawback of being a wolf is that the moment people see one they instantly try to zerg it but when its a wolf pack its time to run for their lives
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neither....Vampires are overly emotional drama queens, Werewolves just have no soul, all cookie cutter of the same archetypes.

Both seem to be the purview of teenagers or romance novel enthusiast. In ESO you aren't really a Vampire or a Werewolf..you just have an arbitrary stat with a costume.
    Edited by Klad on January 1, 2020 6:58PM
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Werewolf
    WW is fun for RP but sadly got nerfed to death

vamp passives are generally useful, also for mag toons, if you don't mind the hideous eyes. remember to wear a helmet or a skin lol
    PC EU
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vampire
    Werewolf is dead since Nerfmire .
    Thanks those BG baby cryers .

ZOS shut down the WW power completely both PVP and PVE .

I mostly play PVE , when I see a WW , TBH , we carry you bro , in Vet DLC , just play like 3 man .
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vampire
    I prefer Vampirism. 17 out of 18 of my characters are Vampires.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vampire
    ill say it frankly.

vampires better

vamp benefits.
    skill line
    10% mag stam recovery at stage 2+
    up to 33% mitigation at stage 3+
    no sneak penalty at stage 4

drawbacks:
    increase fire damage
    reduced hp recovery
    increase damage from fighters guild skills.

werewolf benefits:
    werewolf ult while slotted has 15% stam recovery.
    werewolf skills/passives while transformed

drawbacks:
    while transformed:
    increase poison damage
    fighters guild

werewolf has virtually no effect untransformed.
    vamp gives you a whole skill line 100% of the time.

also.

vamp is cooler.