Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are set bonuses affecting abilities casted with it if I swap weapon and lose bonus?

Alag
Alag
Hello,

my question here comes from an idea -
  • I have Endless Hail (Morph of Volley) on 2nd skillbar
  • Today, I dropped Thunderous Volley bow which is boosting Volley skill
    • (2 Item) Increases the damage Volley deals by 309 each tick, this bonus increases by 107 everytime Volley ticks.
  • If I will have that bow as 2nd weapon, cast skill and then swap to main weapon, will be Volley still boosted or that boost will disappear as I don't have active setup with that set anymore?

Thanks for clarification as I am not sure, if set bonuses work only if they are active at a time, or they work on abilities casted at time when that bonus is on.
Edited by Alag on December 21, 2019 4:50PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alag wrote: »
    Thanks for clarification as I am not sure, if set bonuses work only if they are active at a time, or they work on abilities casted at time when that bonus is on.

It’s the latter choice, @Alag ... you’ll get the 5-piece bonus at the time the skill is cast throughout the total duration of the skill.

If you decide to swap to another bar and cast a skill there, you won’t get the bonus.
  • Alag
    Alag
    Ok, thank you!
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alag
    @Taleof2Cities

OP, you might have an incomplete and possibly misleading answer. (Or I may have read too much into the question).

Thunderous Volley, AKA the Maelstrom bow, carries forward to the front bar. The bonus to Volley is calculated at the time of cast and so remains whilst on the other bar for that cast. (If you have a bow/bow build, then as Tale said, casting Volley on the bar without the Maelstrom bow will not have Volley affected).

This is true of almost all (perhaps all) of the Maelstrom, Asylum, Dragonstar, and Black Rose Prison arena weapons.

The Master's Bow and Master's 2-handed carry forward their bonus to Poison Injection and Carve respectively. Same is true of the Maelstrom destruction staff and its bonus to Wall of Elements.

Outside of the 2-piece weapons which I think universally affect a weapon skill of their respective type, you have 2 general categories of 5-piece bonus: 1) persistent; or 2) non-persistent with weapon swap.

You can tell by the way it is written.

Example 1: Advancing Yokeda, AKA Berserking Warrior

(5 items) When you deal melee damage your Critical Strike rating is increased by 400 for 6 seconds, stacking up to 5 times. This effect can occur once every half second.

Example 2: Hunding's Rage

(5 items) Adds 300 Weapon Damage

As you can see Hunding's is a flat bonus. It will not carry forward. AY is an effect, it will carry forward.
    Edited by witchdoctor on December 21, 2019 10:16PM
  • Alag
    Alag
    @Alag
    @Taleof2Cities

OP, you might have an incomplete and possibly misleading answer. (Or I may have read too much into the question).

Thunderous Volley, AKA the Maelstrom bow, carries forward to the front bar. The bonus to Volley is calculated at the time of cast and so remains whilst on the other bar for that cast. (If you have a bow/bow build, then as Tale said, casting Volley on the bar without the Maelstrom bow will not have Volley affected).

Ah! This is what I meant! Thanks for clarification!

I have bow/bow build and playing full archer (not hybrid as is usually recommended). And so I see some potential in component this bow into build. I will try it then and will see what it will do with my DPS.

Thank you!
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are welcome.

The vMA bow and the Master's Bow (from vet DSA) are the Holy Grails of stamina DPS, so, they will serve you well regardless.

If you decide to go with the classic 2-handed or DW front bar and bow back bar, you will be very well set.

I really like Tzovgin's out of Frostvault. You can run it on normal if you prefer. It has a 5-piece that grants Minor Force which may be very useful in a bow/bow build considering Barbed Trap is a melee-range skill.

I use Tzovgin's on both my stamina builds (a DK and a NB) in their non-trial setups. I find it such a great set.