The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

often in combat when not in combat anymore..?

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amber322 wrote: »
    Nah. I noticed I was in combat the other day. But I wasn't fighting anything. It was shortly after I helped kill a dragon.
    So I ran around killing other stuff, trying to get out of combat. Didn't work.
    I stood in place for over 4 minutes, stuck in combat, while I played on my phone.
    Tried to wait it out. Got impatient, logged out, and switched characters.
    It may be things you listed... sometimes... but other times, it's just a straight-up bug. :(

This is a frequent occurrence in Southern Elsweyr. I don't know what it is. The one thing that seemed to help was not trying to mount immediately after looting the dragon. Other thing was running away for about 10 seconds.

Whatever the cause, its pretty annoying when you are trying to farm as many dragons as possible and you want to race to the wayshrine to hopefully get a few hits on the second one before he dies.

What I do is fast-travel to my room at the inn back in Rimmen, then go take the wayshrine in Rimmen to the next dragon, with maybe a quick visit to the bank and a merchant first. Even with liad screens, that's usually faster than riding back to the closest wayshrine-- unless it was the dragon in northern Northern Elsweyr, which is close to a wayshrine.

Southern Elsweyr is another matter, since I don't have any housing there yet.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    My observations are that there are three things that can cause this to happen:

(1) You have attracted the attention of something and it's actively aggressive toward you. Even if you've run away and it's not close to you, it's probably still following you so it can get in one quick hit, turn around, and go back to wherever it came from.

(2) You were just in a fight and you are still taking DOT from something. Even if you killed everything, if you're still taking DOT then you'll still see a red border around the screen when you view your inventory, your character stats, etc.

(3) You're grouped with someone and they're in combat. Again, you'll see the red border around the screen even if you're far away from the fight and aren't taking any damage yourself.

To this we can add the other situation that was mentioned above:

(4) You were just in a fight, you used a DOT skill, and the DOT skill is still active, even if whatever or whoever you used it on is already dead.

If anyone else comes up with something, add it to the list.

Hmm...you can add healing to that list...including healing others.

But those are just Standard things to be In Combat...and yes they do persist after your death etc.
    But there is no DoT/Heal/Npc that lasts 5min or longer causing the Stuck in Combat complaint
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me on Xbox especially since elsewyr patch. Usually the instant I land on a wsydhrine - it also lasts for about 2 mins - annoying to say the least