The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

often in combat when not in combat anymore..?

Jayman1000
Jayman1000
✭✭✭✭✭
This is happening so often and it prevents you from doing a lot of things because "cant do that while in combat". But Im not in combat! And sometimes it just doesnt go away, and you can't even logout to fix it, because "cant logout while in combat", so only solution is to die. If you can find something to kill you. Else need to quit the game entirely. It seems like it has been happening very often lately, dont recall it happening so often? idk, is it just me?
Edited by Jayman1000 on December 10, 2019 12:56AM
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO, where common and game-breaking bugs are left unaddressed and unfixed in the game for years while literally everyone knows about them and suffer by them each day when playing.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's been a similar thread a few days ago

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/504416/cant-report-stuck-in-combat-bug-because-im-stuck-in-combat#latest

I mean, I can't speak for anyone else regarding the time component, but for me it definitely feels like it has been happening a lot more lately - the last few weeks, maybe after one of the patches, can't quite say for certain. So, you're not the only one experiencing this. What platform and server are you on?
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've actually let tower runners in cyro kill me because I am so bored at chasing them around a tower I would sooner slam my gentlemanly parts in a car door than do one more lap around a tower, but if you wander off, you're stuck in combat for the next half an hour.

Catch-22 at its finest.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, I can't speak for anyone else regarding the time component, but for me it definitely feels like it has been happening a lot more lately - the last few weeks, maybe after one of the patches, can't quite say for certain. So, you're not the only one experiencing this.

I've been playing pretty regularly for the past few months, and it hadn't happened in a while.
    ......It happened to me twice today. (PC-NA)
    :(
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason why someone gets stuck in combat eludes me, I suspect one of the reasons is sometimes being involved in defending or attacking a keep. As soon as the rewards for defending / attacking come in, I can hop on my mount again.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    happens a lot to me for example after fighting dragons...what sometimes helps is to kill another creatures to give the game another instance to "end combat"
  • Ardan147
    Ardan147
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It is very, very, VERY ANNOYING.
    This creature called a songbird. What a devious creation! This winged nuisance erodes sanity with its incessant chirping. What a brilliant form of torture!
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is such an old bug, it has become a feature now
  • tigerborn62
    tigerborn62
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    I've actually let tower runners in cyro kill me because I am so bored at chasing them around a tower I would sooner slam my gentlemanly parts in a car door than do one more lap around a tower, but if you wander off, you're stuck in combat for the next half an hour.

Catch-22 at its finest.

Same. O M G ..... same.
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Started with the last event for me. Kill the dragon (S. Elsweyr) and need to get to the next dragon but I NEED to mount and travel before the next dragon sheds it's mortal coils.... but no I'm in combat.... but the drago is dead
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grkkll wrote: »
    Started with the last event for me. Kill the dragon (S. Elsweyr) and need to get to the next dragon but I NEED to mount and travel before the next dragon sheds it's mortal coils.... but no I'm in combat.... but the drago is dead

It happens constantly in S. E. for some weird reason. It seems to strike every pther dragon fight I have. Haven't encpuntered it much outside of there but SE? Ye gawds.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few days ago, I went into Cyro for the first time in months. It lasted about 30 mins or so before I got the permanent stuck-in-combat bug. Tried porting, and that didn't clear it. So yeah, a major game mode is essentially unplayable right now.

Combat dev team: If you can't figure out how to properly and consistently end combat when combat ends, the very least you could do is implement a secondary, backup combat check (attached to some simple action like opening the game menu) to verify if the player is really in active combat or not. I understand it's probably a very hard bug to fix for a variety of reasons, but at least give us a reliable backup method of forcing a combat check and getting out of this bug.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on December 10, 2019 9:10PM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I am stuck in combat if I apply a DOT to an enemy and they are not killed within a minute or two. It also happens when I apply a HOT to an ally who is fighting someone and neither my ally or the enemy die within a couple of minutes. Neither of these cause the problem 100% of the time but the DOT/HOT skills seem to be likely sources of the problem.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been this way for a long time and I think it's clear ZOS has no intention of actually fixing this.

I don't think they even know how to at this point.
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m waiting for them to implement the Jeopardy music during the Stuck in Combat so that we know when it ends....
    https://youtu.be/HuABhumm6fY
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are times when it doesn't last very long and its like meh, whatever. Then I have had times where it was stuck on me for over an hour. I just went AFK to see how long I would be stuck in combat. Just a little over an hour before it finally cleared. That is a serious problem.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On multiple occasions I've zoned into Cyrodiil in combat and then unable to use the transitus shrines.

This game was coded by apes.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    On multiple occasions I've zoned into Cyrodiil in combat and then unable to use the transitus shrines.

This game was coded by apes.

I'm glad to see you passed your evolutionary biology unit in high school. You remembered that humans are apes!
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MAC07_ORANGUTANMERGE-wide.jpg
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug has been here for the past two years. Welcome to eso.
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Interested to know if this is player specific. I used to play healer, tank or Stam DD and never experienced this in 4 years until I started play as a sorcerer dd
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be a Templar class passive but it seems to have infected them all
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grkkll wrote: »
    Interested to know if this is player specific. I used to play healer, tank or Stam DD and never experienced this in 4 years until I started play as a sorcerer dd

The two toons I have played the most over the past few weeks are a MagDK and a Stamden - both experience the issue equally often. It can, of course, be different for everyone, but I'm inclined to believe that things like class or resource pool have nothing to do with it.

From what I read it seems to happen a lot in Cyro, but I never pvp and I still get this bug regularly in normal pve overland zones. Really has been weirdly persistent lately, a few months back I would hardly experience this at all.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My observations are that there are three things that can cause this to happen:

(1) You have attracted the attention of something and it's actively aggressive toward you. Even if you've run away and it's not close to you, it's probably still following you so it can get in one quick hit, turn around, and go back to wherever it came from.

(2) You were just in a fight and you are still taking DOT from something. Even if you killed everything, if you're still taking DOT then you'll still see a red border around the screen when you view your inventory, your character stats, etc.

(3) You're grouped with someone and they're in combat. Again, you'll see the red border around the screen even if you're far away from the fight and aren't taking any damage yourself.

To this we can add the other situation that was mentioned above:

(4) You were just in a fight, you used a DOT skill, and the DOT skill is still active, even if whatever or whoever you used it on is already dead.

If anyone else comes up with something, add it to the list.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. I noticed I was in combat the other day. But I wasn't fighting anything. It was shortly after I helped kill a dragon.
    So I ran around killing other stuff, trying to get out of combat. Didn't work.
    I stood in place for over 4 minutes, stuck in combat, while I played on my phone.
    Tried to wait it out. Got impatient, logged out, and switched characters.
    It may be things you listed... sometimes... but other times, it's just a straight-up bug. :(
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amber322 wrote: »
    Nah. I noticed I was in combat the other day. But I wasn't fighting anything. It was shortly after I helped kill a dragon.
    So I ran around killing other stuff, trying to get out of combat. Didn't work.
    I stood in place for over 4 minutes, stuck in combat, while I played on my phone.
    Tried to wait it out. Got impatient, logged out, and switched characters.
    It may be things you listed... sometimes... but other times, it's just a straight-up bug. :(

This is a frequent occurrence in Southern Elsweyr. I don't know what it is. The one thing that seemed to help was not trying to mount immediately after looting the dragon. Other thing was running away for about 10 seconds.

Whatever the cause, its pretty annoying when you are trying to farm as many dragons as possible and you want to race to the wayshrine to hopefully get a few hits on the second one before he dies.
  • Xzysts
    Xzysts
    ✭✭✭
    Happens to me a lot. I think I know why it happens.
    -Goblinu_ESO on YouTube
    Community Discord: hK4dFwE7zZ
    All-class player w/over 5,000 hours across multiple platforms
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop running with zergs. I run without group, even when I join some larger fights I'm usually out of combat pretty fast. It happens to me usually only when I get touched or I'll attack a ball group. In scenario like this I use suicide potions and 95% of times it solves the problem and can be even used as kind of teleport stone ;)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So add "bug" or "lag" or whatever to the list.

I've not experienced anything as bad as you've described, but I've definitely experienced lag during combat situations:

- Sitting on a bench in a delve beside where the boss is going to spawn, waiting along with half a dozen or more other players, all of whom (except for me) are continuously spamming their DOT AOEs on the spawn spot. Then *boom* the animation jumps to catch up with what's going on in RT and everyone but me is fighting the boss, who's dead before I can even blink let alone get in a hit.

- Fighting MOBs solo in a delve or public dungeon which is teeming with other players because an event is going on. I clear a MOB but I can't loot the glowing corpses. I have to go run off and find another MOB to fight, then return to the first group of corpses to see if I can loot them now. It's been suggested that this is a "placement bug" rather than lag, but I suspect that the "placement bug" is actually a result of lag (because often the person or thing that's not "really" at the spot where my screen shows it as being will suddenly "teleport" to its actual location due to the laggy messages finally getting through), and often when I'm trying to loot the corpses that can't be looted I'll suddenly find myself under attack by nearby MOBs who appeared to "teleport" to me due to lag.

For me, lag seldom occurs (or isn't bad enough to be noticeable) if I'm running around solo and fighting in sparsely-populated zones, because my main doesn't have any decent DOT AOE spammables, so I don't go around spamming skills the way other players do. It seems to be when I'm in a densely-populated zone, especially in a city, delve, or public dungeon, and there are a lot of other players nearby spamming their abilities while dueling each other or combatting MOBs, that I start to notice lag.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    My observations are that there are three things that can cause this to happen:

(1) You have attracted the attention of something and it's actively aggressive toward you. Even if you've run away and it's not close to you, it's probably still following you so it can get in one quick hit, turn around, and go back to wherever it came from.

(2) You were just in a fight and you are still taking DOT from something. Even if you killed everything, if you're still taking DOT then you'll still see a red border around the screen when you view your inventory, your character stats, etc.

(3) You're grouped with someone and they're in combat. Again, you'll see the red border around the screen even if you're far away from the fight and aren't taking any damage yourself.

To this we can add the other situation that was mentioned above:

(4) You were just in a fight, you used a DOT skill, and the DOT skill is still active, even if whatever or whoever you used it on is already dead.

If anyone else comes up with something, add it to the list.

I seem to get it a lot, when I run past groups of mobs without actually engaging them, I just want to get past them. But then, even when I'm already far away from them and nothing is following me anymore, I don't have the red border that indicates a DoT is still in effect and the battle music has stopped playing, the game still tells me I'm in combat. Fortunately it mostly goes away by itself after a certain time, but sometimes that timespan can get pretty long and it has definitely happened more frequently.