The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Fishing Is Borrrrriiiiinnnnngggg!

FixedBlade123
FixedBlade123
✭✭✭
So I just heard that I can get a special recipe (supposedly good for Stam builds) by fishing in Summerset. It's a "gold" recipe that can be found in some sort of water logged bag that can be snagged in Summerset's waterways. I also have a food or drink that I can take that's supposed to help me find rare fish and fishing sites, etc. Anyway, I tried to farm rare and unique fish a couple of years ago and soon realized that it would take my character an entire lifetime to reach the "Master Angler" achievement so I gave up on that because of how incredibly boring it was coupled with the fact that I only caught a rare fish about once every two months.

So I decided to bite the bullet today and give it another shot. I created some of that special recipe (Hissmir's Fish-Eye Rye); took some; headed to Summerset; pulled out my fishing gear; and spent a couple of hours fishing in the ocean and in a river. I caught nothing but white fish. Not a single rare fish and not one instance of "Perfect Roe" after cleaning all of my white fish. So I'm retiring my fishing pole and tackle box and going back to PvE where I belong.
  • Jem_Kindheart
    Jem_Kindheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uhhh lol. Well, the Waterlogged Psijic Satchel drops in the waters in Artaeum (it's saltwater even though it's called Mystic water). If farming it isn't for you, you can buy the Satchels in guild traders :D The recipe is bind on pickup so unfortunately one cannot just buy the recipe. This may mean buying a lot of Satchels. Alternatively, you can just buy the food and save some headaches if you don't care about collecting the recipes.

For Master Angler, I got it a few months ago, it took a couple months of strong dedication and a long movie playlist on the other monitor lol. But no need to do what ya don't like, friendo! :)
    Longtimer since beta, the usual. 26 CP toons. ~1700cp on main account, 1000cp on 2nd account. Endgame-ish lol. Most Vets / some HM's cleared.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be worse. It could be a JRPG where fishing suddenly becomes super serious business with game-changing effects.

One day someone needs to explain to me why Japanese games have hardcore fishing.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hissmir is wrong food. It just keen eye on fishing spots, somewhat useable before Elsweyr where you had to google what bait goes to what type. Correct food is Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl - adds a "extra person" when fishing, so greater chances for rare fish.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's why "Master Angler" is the most prized award!

Also, you can't just stay in PvE or PvP zones, you gotta do 'em all. So it takes some serious travelling.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be worse. It could be a JRPG where fishing suddenly becomes super serious business with game-changing effects.

One day someone needs to explain to me why Japanese games have hardcore fishing.

Is it like one day your hook gets caught on the enchanted necklace of a Princess of a distant land and touching it places a curse on you forcing you on a long journey of fright and peril to return the charm to its rightful owner?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I came here to read people argue.....---pokes people with a stick--- come on......

giphy.gif
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    I came here to read people argue.....---pokes people with a stick--- come on......

giphy.gif

Why would anyone argue that fishing is not boring though? ;)
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm retiring my fishing pole and tackle box and going back to PvE where I belong.

PvF is what PvE is all about! So much more relaxing than PvD.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild traders is another source for recipes.
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Pretty sure the recipe in question is bind on pickup...
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got both recipes from Artaeum by myself in about 30 minutes. So it shouldn't be a long or complicated ordeal.

It's acquiring the clam gall or mother of pearl (depending on which recipe you want to use) that will take quite a bit longer.
    signing off
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    would love a minigame but I finished my master angler and all other fishing achivs so idk I would do it as a side activity if it was more interactable than just afk E simulator </3
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of course it's boring.
    It's fishing, what did you expect?
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They live on a chain of islands that is also pretty much the peaks of an underwater mountain range. Not a lot of room to grow or raise food. So fish is very important to their diet.

• regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I just heard that I can get a special recipe (supposedly good for Stam builds) by fishing in Summerset. It's a "gold" recipe that can be found in some sort of water logged bag that can be snagged in Summerset's waterways. I also have a food or drink that I can take that's supposed to help me find rare fish and fishing sites, etc. Anyway, I tried to farm rare and unique fish a couple of years ago and soon realized that it would take my character an entire lifetime to reach the "Master Angler" achievement so I gave up on that because of how incredibly boring it was coupled with the fact that I only caught a rare fish about once every two months.

So I decided to bite the bullet today and give it another shot. I created some of that special recipe (Hissmir's Fish-Eye Rye); took some; headed to Summerset; pulled out my fishing gear; and spent a couple of hours fishing in the ocean and in a river. I caught nothing but white fish. Not a single rare fish and not one instance of "Perfect Roe" after cleaning all of my white fish. So I'm retiring my fishing pole and tackle box and going back to PvE where I belong.

Then don't finish if issa BORING!
    Edited by regime211 on December 8, 2019 9:21PM
  • cheeseaddict
    cheeseaddict
    ✭✭✭
    fishing.....nothing more boring in this game.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pretty sure the recipe in question is bind on pickup...

It is BoP iirc
  • Dirtybyrd
    Dirtybyrd
    ✭✭✭✭

You just need a fishing buddy!!
    Dirtybyrd
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭

Apparently ... this particular recipe cannot be purchased. Once it is found by someone ... it's bound to that character and cannot be sold.
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    Well ... I guess I have to eat my words. I just went to Artaeum (based on another member's suggestion) and had a streak of good luck. I caught all three rare fish which earned me the "Artaeum Master Angler." I also snagged a couple of the Psijic waterlogged satchels and got two new recipes: Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl & Artaeum Takeaway Broth (which is the one I was looking for). It only took about 30 minutes. Yahoo!
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got the “takeaway broth” recipe after fishing for a few hours so that’s not too bad... as someone else mentioned, the real problem is the powdered mother of Pearl. It’s worse than getting the recipe by far because you need 5 for each batch and the most you’ll get at once is 1 or 2, and that’s every half hour or more of geysers or fishing.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doc: "Well... don't do that."
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is fishing in reality IS boring. It's a downtime activity. I actually kind of like it as it is.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should make fishing fun like it is in many games. Even N64 Zelda had better fishing in it
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on December 9, 2019 3:11AM
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kinda like fishing. I do it when my bounty is high, while sipping coffee, and reading chat.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eating an Artaeum Pickled Fish Bown helps, a lot - when catching rare fish. I doubt I would have ever been able to get my Master Angler achievement without it. Because as you say, fishing is not exactly the most exciting of activities. What I ended up doing was taking screen shots of the scenery while I fished. Trying to get the best looking photos helped to break the tedium a bit.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 9, 2019 3:50AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly a great cure for insomnia.

I'm not fishing in PVP territory, so I don't bother trying to get the achieve.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    It's certainly a great cure for insomnia.

I'm not fishing in PVP territory, so I don't bother trying to get the achieve.

To be honest, I had more problems dealing with the piranhas in Cyrodil than I did other players.

So I wouldn't let the threat of other players keep you from getting the achievement. It's not as bad to fish in there as one may think.
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see. We are a small island country that is surrounded by sea water, which are mostly clear cause we don't have someone like BP drilling ocean bed and leaking all over the place. The only worst accident we have an nuclear meltdown which contaminated the sea a bit but we put it under control and regular monitor it, unlike some neighbour country which keep the policy of everything is fine cause we control the news.

We have like zillion fish name, because we name the same fish by different name base on their age.

Also we have a lot of fresh water river, fresh as in it is natural water you can see through.

So, all in all, the reason is, sushi. Plan and simple.
    Edited by TempPlayer on December 9, 2019 4:26AM
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TempPlayer wrote: »

Let's see. We are a small island country that is surrounded by sea water, which are mostly clear cause we don't have someone like BP drilling ocean bed and leaking all over the place. The only worst accident we have an nuclear meltdown which contaminated the sea a bit but we put it under control and regular monitor it, unlike some neighbour country which keep the policy of everything is fine cause we control the news.

We have like zillion fish name, because we name the same fish by different name base on their age.

Also we have a lot of fresh water river, fresh as in it is natural water you can see through.

So, all in all, the reason is, sushi. Plan and simple.

Sashimi, sashimi is where it's at.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!